1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Superstitions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cscpx, Jul 26, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    4:27 AM
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    just a heads up, the point of this isn't to be rational or logical, it's just to talk about the weird things you do because it makes you feel lucky / comfortable with certain things in maple

we're not objectively saying that these all work for everyone, just our personal beliefs that make us feel good lol

2. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    i understand that, im just here to tell you youre all crazy via logical conclusions

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    9:27 AM
    listening to dragonforce while scrolling

worked pretty good once on a wand so i bless that band forever now while scrolling

4. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    hope u feel better about urself, even tho none of us are claiming that these will work for others, or that we believe them to be fact, just our own personal choices that make us feel comfortable.

guess that makes u cool huh ? tryin to ruin other people's fun ? great member of the community, no ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    hmmm, does telling someone what they already know somehow make me cool? im not sure
    but youve already admitted that you know it doesnt work. so... someone telling you what you already know, is making something not fun anymore?
    explain to me how its fun again?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    lol.

can't even believe im having this conversation.

Going to be my last reply.

The objective of having superstitions is much like the reason why we choose our hairstyles, clothing preferences, job preference, weapon preferences .. and a further extention of all these, in the most minute of details, is how we go about operating in order to make our fantasies and dreams a reality.

They do not have to have a basis in logic or mathematics, they just need a basis in love or spirituality.

Love isn't even mathematically or logically understood - the only response to this is to say we have chemical reactions in our brain but in life there is something so much bigger and more than can be understood or articulated by our feeble minds.

You have too long of a way to go, son.

All this thread is about is seeing inside people's personalities on a deeper, more personal level - relating to personal superstitions within maplestory. It's not your place to judge or criticise or argue against people for feeling the way they feel.

7. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    TBH I do believe in burn scrolling.
    But only to a certain degree.

It's all based on numbers,
    I forget the law but here's the example.

Flipping a coin is 50/50.
    There's 50% chance for heads, and 50% chance for tails. (Don't include the edges)
    Looking at these chances if you for example get heads on the first one, you should theoretically get tails?
    Nope, There's a 50% chance on getting both choices, as you can easily get 5 heads in a row.
    So is heads 100% chance?, Still nope. You may see a much higher chance of heads or tails with 20 flips ex. 75% heads 25% tails.

With a much higher yield of flips.
    Say 1 million, you can see that the number of heads and tails evens out, and is generally 50/50 once again.

Same can be said with scrolling, like I said only to some degree.
    With a higher amount of burn scrolls (flips of heads), you increase your chance of landing the scroll (flipping tails) as it is bound to eventually work.

However it's still a high degree of chance, and most people believe in a gut feeling of when this yield (scroll working) is near.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    1:27 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I remember there was a rumor back in GMS that you could never get to 99.99% EXP. The highest you could get is 99.98% EXP, and then any additional EXP would get you to 100%.

9. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    1:27 AM
    Flipping heads or burn scrolls doesn't increase your chance at all. Increasing your chance would mean that you'd have a 60% chance of getting heads after flipping heads after a number of times, which isn't true. You could flip a heads on an infinite loop forever and ever and you'd still only have a 50% chance of getting tails. Just like you could scroll 10/10 30% burn scrolls, but you still have a 70% chance of failure every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. woops2

woops2 Slime

Jun 14, 2015
    Male
    Kerning City
    Dagger
    Bandit
    If you see the white woman of Perion you will die irl

• Like Like x 3
  11. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    10:27 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Common superstition is thinking you have to HP wash to enjoy the game.

This is a good thread, I wanted to bump it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    2:12 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    CC-ing when you have terrible luck with cards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    ControlPanel / WireLess / FireWall / HotSpot
    Bandit
    Beaters
    When hunting monster cards, the more you complain the faster the card you are hunting will drop.
    PROVED AND TESTED!!

Also 1st and 5th cards always takes the longest (with some exceptions when ppl get REALLY lucky.... but 99% of cases it's true).

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    Bandit
    Beaters
    So i wrote stuff about statistics... and I'm not even good at math so you can skip this comment. I just felt bad about deleting it XD
    The statistics is half correct.
    If you have 50/50 chance for something, lets say heads or tails, the chance doesn't change if you keep doing it for each time you flip.
    What changes is the probability of you landing the wanted result more than once.
    Lets say you want to get heads x2 times, the chance to that is 0.5*0.5=0.25
    The more times you need to get the same result the smaller the odds.
    But with scrolls it's different as often the odds to get the wanted result are smaller than the unwanted.... lets say 30/70
    So to land x2 30% scrolls the chance is 0.3*0.3=0.09
    while landing only one out of two is 0.21
    and failing both is 0.49 (almost 50% probability of failing both)
    BUT the thing is.... the more you use the said scroll the higher your numbers will be, and since probability works best at high number of attempts, eventually you'll get 30% of your scrolling attempts positive and 70% of the scrolling attempts negative :)

SO basically scrolling more means getting closer to the real probability.

15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Card drops (maybe all drops) are on a timer. Random minutes out of every hour= higher drop rate. That's my superstition

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    Bandit
    Beaters
    I sometimes entertained the idea that certain hour in the day have higher drop rate or scroll success chances XD