1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

MapleAuction website development

Discussion in 'Programming' started by rinnedev, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    5:24 AM
    Maybe for the homepage, you could do a top 5 kind of listing? Top 5 items with highest bidders, Top 5 with most bidders, etc?

2. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    1:24 PM
    Beginner
    I agree. Also that sounds like a good solution, I would be satisfied with that solution.

3. cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    8:24 AM
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    the only step up from here to attract the lazier people ( like myself ) is for maplelegends team to somehow integrate this in an easy way onto their website.

Can totally see it as a tool to be used if it became that un-lazily accessible.

4. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I don't mean to be rude. If we get to this point of lazyness, wouldn't it just be easier to make owls free?

I'd rather have this solution though, so people who can bother using 30 seconds on putting an item up for auction will be able to do so.

5. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    7:24 AM
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    I have a lot on my todo list now after the quick closed alpha, but I'm wondering about how to keep the site running once it's up. Donations or ads? Due to privacy issues, I probably wont be able to take paypal donations. It will be solely run with bitcoins. It's either bitcoin donations or ads by https://a-ads.com/

Here's a list of all their ads and what they look like. Keep in mind that I can change the colors of the ads to help make them less annoying: https://a-ads.com/ads/1/preview

The ads wouldn't take up more than 10% of the screen at any given time and would most likely only include 1 ad on a few pages, NOT multiple ads on a single page and NOT every page. Pages like post-auction or the dashboard would not have any ads. Also, if you hate the ads, an ad-blocker would do the trick. I wont put a sadface in place of the ad to make you feel bad. The ads would filter all gambling, nsfw, shady, or risky investments. The site would follow these guidelines: https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads#criteria

What does everyone think? Donations or a-ads?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    Go with ads. Not that I wouldn't donate, but I just don't know how many people would and it'd be able to keep it afloat. The ads aren't hideous.

7. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Have you considered asking the staff for support? I know they have denied any interest in supporting sites like this in the past but I think it's worth a try.

If not, I think ads is the best way to go. It would suck if we had to give donaters advantages for donating. A fair market is important for an auction site.

8. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Yes I've thought about it but I doubt they would be affiliated with me unless I prove that the site is useful. I think that may be a possibility in the future (if we could link the site with people's characters), but I don't think they will support it initially. I wouldn't even ask them until I had proof myself that people are using the site. The ads don't have to be permanent so that option can remain available if the staff wants to help.

I agree with you about donors. Most people wont donate without some advantage, especially if it's limited to bitcoins. I think as long as I stick to the guidelines by adblockplus, most people wont mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Hey, hows developement going?

10. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    I just finished the reserve price mechanics and the watch list. I also added the minimum bid increment option to the post auction page. You can now cancel auctions with 0 bids or end an auction early if it's above 0 bids. I'm working on refactoring some of the templates(html) and alerts today.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Here's an example alert:

• Great Work Great Work x 4
  12. TonySpark

TonySpark Blue Snail

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    Portefeuille
    Assassin
    Hey,
    Nice work on your website, it looks awesome ! I am also a Junior web developer and I am interested in the technology you use. I have never tried Flask, is everything made in Python ? Where will you be hosting your website ?

Looking forward to try your app !
    TonySpark

13. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Yes for the most part it's python. http://flask.pocoo.org/
    I'm not exactly sure where it will be hosted yet.

14. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Here's a look at the new messaging system. I'm currently working on the index page and a report system.
    Improved Messaging:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
  15. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Hey everyone, just want to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this. I'm dealing with a bad roach problem in my new place so I haven't unpacked everything until the numbers decrease. I'm still very determined to finish this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    I am very looking forward to see the final product of this website. It looks amazing MapleF15

17. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    v excited for this, great work ^^

18. flashblaize

flashblaize Chronos

Feb 25, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    promisQ
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hello,

just saw all those pictures and i think it is a really good idea.

But i do have a question - probably i have missed that - but if the auction ends, how does player get their items and mesos? They still have to meet up in the FM?

Thank you in advance,

Rootz

19. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Yes, you have to meet up to exchange items.
    Staff is not interested in working on an Ingame solution. Think of this solution as old school basilmarket.

20. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    So winning an auction doesn't mean that you will get the item...I am sure there are going to be people who post false auctions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.