1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guide for MAC Getting Legends to Run On High Sierra

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Ziren, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Ziren

Ziren Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Macau
    7:13 AM
    Ziren
    Vodka
    It has become apparent that updating to High Sierra MacOS 10.13.1 (17B48) has caused issues within wineskin. High Sierra makes it so that when you try to open your client, the application will appear in your dock however nothing will happen and you will have to force quit the client. This guide is assuming you already updated to High Sierra and are downloading the updated client from scratch. If you are running an older version of Sierra but already have the updated client and wanted to update to High Sierra, just scroll down to learn how to change your screen options settings. If that doesn't work then follow this guide from here. It is also important to note that users have experienced an issue with multi-clienting in High Sierra so update at your own risk.

Update: You can now open up two clients, one being old and the other being new settings on High Sierra.

FOR NEW PATCHES:

You will need to download the client from scratch. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE APP TO DOWNLOADS AND NOT APPLICATIONS!!! (For reasons I will explain later on)

Once you download the .dmg file, open it as per usual and it will expand. You will now need to double click on the client (in the downloads folder) to verify it (a window called 'CoreServicesUIAgent) will pop up. I've noticed that this process takes a while and your cpu% will fluctuate. I recommend opening up activity monitor, if your cpu goes over 200% for over 5 minutes stop the verification and try again a bit later. I've done this verification process 4 times now trying to find a fix for the client, and sometimes it (Xprotectservice) will reach 300% (using up 3/4 of your threads), meaning if you're on a standard dual-core Mac you're at risk of overclocking your laptop so if you notice it's using up a ton of cpu for a long time stop the process. The verifying bar may seem frozen at times, just minimize the program and wait patiently.

[​IMG]

Assuming you didn't disable gatekeeper if you go to your security preferences you should see:

[​IMG]

you'll be prompted to allow this program to go through, so just allow it to. The prompt may appear more than once so just let it through and don't stop the process. Once it is verified if you try to open the program from downloads you will get "ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume."

[​IMG]

At this point drag the client to the applications folder. Now, if you try to open the client you won't get the error, instead the client will appear on your dock however wineskin won't open and it will just hang (you'll have to forcequit). At this point:

Right click MapleLegends > Show Package Contents >

[​IMG]
    Open wineskin>Set Screen Options

[​IMG]

From there uncheck 'Auto detect GPU info for Direct 3D' (under other options)

[​IMG]

The reason why you have to download it to DOWNLOADS first is because if you download the client straight to applications, you will be stuck with that error message and your wine settings are permanently set to its default settings (when you try to change Screen options your changes will not save).

Now you should be fine to open up the client. It may also help to update your engine to the newest one (2.16), though that would only help performance (not necessary to open the client).

I'll make this guide more aesthetic and add pictures when I have the time, but I'm writing this between my law lectures and just wanted this info out asap.

-Ziren

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Justin54321

Justin54321 Mano

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    4:13 AM
    justin5467
    Beginner
    Hi Ziren! This worked for me, but i am unable to open up multiple clients now... I did the same thing to all the clients but i can only open one

3. OP
    OP
    Ziren

Ziren Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Macau
    Ziren
    Vodka
    Glad it worked! Unfortunately, multi-clienting seems to be a common problem with High Sierra. I was only concerned with getting the client to run on 10.13.1 and sadly I don't have a solution for the multi-clienting issue as of now. You could always use a VM to open a second client.

4. Vera

Vera Dark Stone Golem

Sep 27, 2016
    Female
    ei
    1:13 PM
    Nolo
    Buccaneer
    Demure
    sucks that (for me atleast) vm is so laggy that playing maple through it is hell.

5. deb

deb Snail

Nov 24, 2017
    Female
    Mashimaro
    Cleric
    doing this worked to open the client, but maple background visual starts breaking apart when i move in the game... anyone else?

6. Domodonut

Domodonut Blue Snail

Aug 13, 2017
    Female
    7:13 PM
    Domodonut
    Thief, Bandit
    Nil
    ^ me too i have the same issues of shaky screen from time to time

7. antillly

antillly Red Snail

Nov 15, 2017
    Male
    FewSquids
    Magician
    I tried this, the maplelegends app was able to open up (finally), but there is a lot of static on my screen, especially when i move them mouse. Also, when I go to select my character and try actually playing the game, the app crashes and closes on me.

8. houseofcool

houseofcool King Slime

Mar 31, 2017
    Male
    New Zealand
    12:13 AM
    purely because of these reasons i knew would become an issue i have left my mac un-updated :catmouth:

9. Vera

Vera Dark Stone Golem

Sep 27, 2016
    Female
    ei
    1:13 PM
    Nolo
    Buccaneer
    Demure
    smart boi

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Awleh

Awleh Mr. Anchor

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Norway
    12:13 PM
    Awleh
    Chief Bandit, Shadower
    Demure
    Same OnionF3 ill just update my Mac when Kimberly shuts down the server in 10 years. Ez OnionMuha

11. OP
    OP
    Ziren

Ziren Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Macau
    Ziren
    Vodka
    Could you provide more info on this? Are you still experiencing this issue? Nothing of the sort has happened to me. Are you playing in full screen or windowed mode?

12. twoFour

twoFour Mano

Nov 24, 2017
    twoFour
    Bishop
    I experience the same issue, but only in full screen. Everything fixed itself when I switched to windowed move. However, I have recorded a short clip of what it looks like when I am playing in full screen. Notice that big movements like going between platforms causes the graphics to take a while to respond and 'refresh'. At times, the screen updates like a wave, but I can't seem to capture that on screen recording.

https://vimeo.com/245170921
    Password: MapleLegends

13. OP
    OP
    Ziren

Ziren Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Macau
    Ziren
    Vodka
    Ah, I see what you mean. This would most likely be because you had to disable the GPU detection for Direct3D which pertains to the graphics (which is mandatory for using wine on High Sierra). Similarly, I have noticed some screen distortion with High Sierra, sometimes when playing video or waking up my mac from sleep so it may have something to do with High Sierra affecting the GPU. Personally, I never play in fullscreen mode just because it's so CPU intensive, it uses up 2x+ the CPU of playing in Windowed mode.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. vince1776

vince1776 Mano

Dec 2, 2017
    Male
    America
    Culper
    Bowman
    I haven’t updated to High Sierra, but when I download the client it never asks me where I would like it to download and it automatically shows up in downloads and not applications. I get the error and when I go into wineskin to uncheck the box, it doesn’t save. Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

15. twoFour

twoFour Mano

Nov 24, 2017
    twoFour
    Bishop
    You can't launch MapleLegends from "Downloads" directly. If it isn't in applications, the minimal is to pull it out onto the desktop. There, your game client should be able to run normally already.

• Like Like x 1
  16. vince1776

vince1776 Mano

Dec 2, 2017
    Male
    America
    Culper
    Bowman
    That worked. Thanks!

17. ponpondonuts

ponpondonuts Slime

Dec 23, 2017
    Female
    10:13 PM
    Bishop, Bowmaster
    Hello!

I'm not sure why but I'm no longer able to play on my cleric >: I can login and everything but I can't use my skills or hit the monsters at all. I then get disconnected soon after .... this only happened today when I entered Ant Tunnel IV. Prior to this, there were no problems in playing at all after implementing the solution that Ziren mentioned (thank you SlimeSmile).

I've reinstalled the client, rebooted my internet and my laptop but I still can't play on my cleric. Does anyone else have the same problem/a solution?

18. ponpondonuts

ponpondonuts Slime

Dec 23, 2017
    Female
    10:13 PM
    Bishop, Bowmaster
    Update: I'm not sure what I did but it suddenly started working again so ..... yay? <:

19. OP
    OP
    Ziren

Ziren Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Macau
    Ziren
    Vodka
    Glad it's up for you and happy early birthday! SlimeAngel

20. ponpondonuts