1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice The end of 2018...

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:55 PM
    Moderator Post
    2017 version: Click here
    *This is all wrote in one session, and I am sorry if it's a mess

Hello everyone to this year's year review overview. Don't expect this one to be as much as last years, since honestly I have not much to say this year. Of course I ended up lying here

When it comes to this year I can basically say it was pretty good. There were good things, and there were bad ones. Honestly however I am happy to say that it was more positive than negative.

MapleLegends, while once again more competition arrived this year, stayed high on the top, even though every year during specific periods people are very dramatic about the 'server dying'. No, the server isn't dying, and we have no plans to die anytime soon. Sorry

Like last year I want to thank every single person that stick with us, helped us, provided useful feedback, and stayed calm during 'hard' periods. It's thanks to you why we want keep provide an Old School experience, and its thanks to you why we feel happy doing this as a hobby.

Of course in the end of the day you can't agree with every single change that happens in this server, and unfortunately we cannot please every part of the user base at the same time. It's an impossible task for any server or company. However, what important is, is that we, as staff, are happy with the server ourselves. Of course we can make every single change what the 'majorly' of the user base likes, but that means that it may still not make us happy, me happy, or the different part of the user base happy. Sometimes changes just need to happen you may disagree with. What important is, is staying mature about it. The best way to do this is by making constructive feedback regarding what you don't agree with, and try put every thought you have in the mind of ours, or if you think your idea may contain possible loopholes or flaws.

The website

One thing I am very happy about this year is the evolution of our site! This was in my opinion the worst aspect of our server by far. It was basically unfinished, unchanged since 2014, and just not looking good and polished. When we were hiring for Python developers there were quickly two people that made an application. DraudsDrauds and FeroxAnimaFeroxAnima. Having those two on-board makes me really realize I should have looked for web devs way sooner. They are doing an amazing job. No, really, they are doing an amazing job. They are great to have on our staff, they are great to talk to, and they are just doing the things great we offer them to do. Both of them are amazing to work with and I am extremely happy with having them both around. Thanks for all the changes you two have made so far. It's very, very appreciated.

GunBound

One concern this year was us announcing a new side project. GunBound, a 2d mmo heavily based on worms and other games only released in korea.

When this was announced the first thing that came in people's mind was us ditching Legends for this game. Of course I was quick to debunk this, but people were still concerned.

The biggest negative feedback we got were 'The staff does nothing but play GunBound with each other now'

While I get the concerns (once again), let me provide reasons why playing other games together is good for a staff team.

As you may know when you have work IRL there's times you go out with your coworkers, hang out, having a trip, and so on.

The reason why this is done is because people are more conformable and closer together, where we have fun instead of working all day and communicating with each other only about work.

What helped with us playing GunBound (around that time) is that we had a blast playing together, which did put us a bit closer together. We were having fun playing games instead of only talking about yet another @GM that we don't understand, a character issue that is hard to resolve, or general frustration about problems. You as user may think 'they are wasting time playing GunBound when they could solve x and y' but for us it makes us much more comfortable together, which in returns make the mood in the staff much better.

GunBound is still going to happen, and we hope we can provide a service to play this old gem again in 2019. The good news is that GunBound is much easier to manage, and we have already staff members that will purely focus on GunBound once it's out (not associated with Legends), so we got all of that long covered.

Plans for MapleLegends?

When it comes to MapleLegends we have a lot of things to plan for 2019. What I personally want to do is find ways to remove our current flaws from the game. Example, reduce the chance or ways to permanently break your character. An example to this would be the Horntail necklace quest. Right now, by default, you can only do this quest one time, ever. What this means is that if you screw it up once, you may break your character for good. This is bad game design, and like other similar flaws I want to find ways to resolve it.

We are also visiting feedback we got recently regarding the scroll availability and are happy to let you know we are behind the scene brainstorming what the best way is to handle this. This takes times, and we thank you for your patience.

Besides that there's a lot of other things we hope to do this year. Example, a complete minigames point system re-write so its either using ELO ratings or even 100% GMS-like using the bms-leak as reference, revisiting all the quests so awful quests like the 1000 drummer quest that barely gives anything as reward is improved, and of course release Golden Temple. Speaking of Golden Temple, its the biggest project we have ever had. There's so much that had to be translated, and we hope you guys will enjoy the content once it's out. Major thanks to SiaoSiao and some anonymous helpers for helping with this project!

In short, we have no plans to give up, and we will keep providing an Old School experience in 2019 as well.

With that I also want give major thanks to shotshot Wolf ScrollWolf Scroll and NugZehNugZeh doing great job with recent changes to the server itself. Likewise for the site changes its very, very appreciated.

I can write forever, but I think it's getting a bit long (as usual with my posts). We hope you've made a lot of friendships in 2018, meetups, or even relationships, and we hope we can help with that as well in 2019. Yes, of course MapleLegends is a game, but MapleStory by itself has an extremely strong social aspect into it, and hearing from so many people they are now together, made friends, or even meetup makes me smile. It's reasons like these why I do not have any thoughts of giving up on the server anytime soon. It's even helping me a lot as well.

We all wish you a happy new year, and we'll see you once again in 2019 as well.

You are all Legends! and amazing

~MapleLegends Staff and Administration.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 24
    • Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    :heart:

3. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    7:55 PM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Happy New Year; thanks for everything. c:
    :heart:

4. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    9:55 AM
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    thugricthugric bro

5. Crayo

Crayo Chronos

Oct 26, 2018
    Male
    12:55 PM
    Whenever you decide to address this I hope you take feedback on what quests might need alterations. Cause while examples like this are obvious in how their time investment is ridiculous compared to their reward, there are a lot of unbalanced rewards which may be less obvious, like how the quest to kill Papulatus gives less exp than the quest to kill King Clang.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Yeah... Neckson wasn't really great on this...

7. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    9:55 AM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Any chance the SP Resets can move SP from 2nd Job to 1st Job skills? I have a couple characters who I accidentally partially broke by putting SP into skills that shouldn't even exist for how horrible they make your character - and since everyone CAN put those SPs into 1st Job skills if they chose, I think moving them with SP Resets would be totally fair. - Thanks! =o)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. NugZeh

NugZeh Slimy Retired Staff

May 6, 2017
    Male
    UK
    5:55 PM
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me an opportunity to grow and learn as a developer, KimberlyKimberly :heart:

(Big thank you to Wolf ScrollWolf Scroll for being my sensei in my time of need) :angelic:

Also big shout out to the staff (old and the new) for being good friends and i enjoyed every bit of it with you guys!! :laugh: (even though i gave poor HiyoHiyo a hard time) :unsure:

I didn't get much of a chance to talk to you guys shotshot DraudsDrauds and FeroxAnimaFeroxAnima but you're all doing an amazing job!!! MapleF11

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  9. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    omg I would be the happiest man in the world

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
  11. Fusive

Fusive Snail

Jun 22, 2017
    Fusive
    Thief
    As a vegan I am very proud to see such an open community.
    I just want to thank everyone who welcomed me to this server.

VEGAN PRIDE

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. TheRainMaker

TheRainMaker Blue Snail

Jul 14, 2018
    Male
    7:55 PM
    Cleric
  13. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    12:55 AM
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    Thank you for the great efforts Kimmy and to the maplelegends staff, you guys have been the best ! i guess its not the server that is dead but only me on the inside XD Q_Q
    Anyways a very Happy New Year to all !~* and to more fun to come in 2019 :D