1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Book Efficient Farming Guide

Discussion in 'Items & Mesos' started by Precel, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    12:11 PM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ohipSCqwiyyOdqNTWrTzDNGUtYJOojfk9qbVHSl70l0/edit?usp=sharing

Please read the README in the spreadsheet first if you have any questions.

Co-Author: BamboBambo
    Huge thanks to Bambo for volunteering to help me out!
    Special Thanks to ZooploopZooploop for some Neo Tokyo data!
    Special Thanks to fredaaaaafredaaaaa for some Neo Tokyo data!

Summary:
    This guide highlights maps with highest monster count and best map design. This spreadsheet's main purpose is to make farming for monster cards easier, but it can be used for farming specific monster for other purposes.

General Tips for Farming Monster Cards:
    • It's going to be a long journey. Have something to do on side while you are mindlessly farming. Watch something on the side, talk with friends on Discord, etc.
    • If you are planning to HP wash, farm for cards ASAP because Monster Card Rings give INTs.
    • If you are not planning to HP wash, it will be way less time-consuming to train until you have Area of Effect skills and enough damage to 1-hit target mobs.
    • In the spreadsheet, "The Most Efficient Map" may not be the best map for your situation. Example 1: you are a class that does not perform well in the map. Example 2: you might want to farm on another map to farm for two cards at the same time. Example 3: You prefer passively farming at safe spots instead of active farming.
    Please post any feedback for the guide! Formatting, wanted guide, inaccurate information, etc. are all helpful :heartbeat:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like x 14
    • Great Work x 12
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    1:11 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    you are really the best guys! improve more <3

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    Looks very useful but I want to question what the efficient part is based on? Some maps are better for specifically one monster, but in some cases it would be wasteful to hunt them prior to another. For example Dark Yeti and Pepe are very long and you will finish Dark Jr.Yeti and Dark Yeti long before you do them.

Of course most people will likely not opt to hunt those as they are very difficult, a more likely scenario is with Genin and Ashigaru. Now Ashigaru are also fairly difficult to complete but I believe more people would be willing to for their drops. Since they are located on 1 map with many Genin in it, hunting Genin anywhere else would not be efficient.

Essentially some maps with multiple monsters would be priority for hunting IMO, because if you finish a set of monster already there you wasted time you could have spent gathering at that map. Extra C is another prime example of this having the best of 2 areas in Showa 2, you can gather the others in different maps better but as C has to be there, it would be the best place to begin.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    So I'll answer this question in two parts.

1) Wouldn't it be more efficient to farm for 2 mobs at the same time?
    In most cases, I agree. If I were to choose between a map with 15 snails vs. 10 snails and 7 blue snails, I'd choose the latter.

As a guide writer, the problem is that readers are in different situations. Examples:
    • You might not be able to 1-shot blue snails, but want to farm for snails
    • You might already have 5 cards of blue snails
    • You just want to go in order
    • You might prefer the map design of 15 snails
    • Using your example, you might be level 70 trying to farm Dark Jr. Yeti, so you're not strong enough to farm Dark Yeti and Pepe

This is why I built the guide focused on a monster.

Another reason is for consistency. I cannot say "This map is the best for farming snails, because it has the highest monster count", and then say "This map is the best for farming blue snails; it doesn't have the highest monster count, and map kinda sucks, but there are snails in the map too".
    More consistent version would be "This map is best for this monster, and that map is best for that monster."

Almost forgot to mention, RNG plays a factor too. If I somehow get 5 cards of Blue Snails while I get 0 cards of Snails, the latter map would be way more inefficient. Now, I cannot account for everyone's RNG, so it's just better to try to avoid that kind of situation.

Now, I agree with you that some maps are very good for farming for 2 mobs at the same time. A lot of these are noted in "Honorable Mentions" column. Using your example with Genin, "Ninja Castle Hallway", a map with Genin and Ashigaru, is in Genin's Honorable Mentions, because, well, exactly your reasons.

If you want to see more of these, check out Honorable Mentions of Stirge, Horny Mushroom, Dark Axe Stump, Bubble Fish. There are more but I'm sure that's enough.

2) How is efficiency determined?
    This is also in README of the spreadsheet. Order of appearance does not mean one is more weighted than another.
    • Monster Count: Higher number of monsters the better
    • Landscape: Maps with smaller size, less platforms, less floors, with teleport portals, with down jump ability are better
    • Other Monsters in the Map: Less the better (unless farming for other monsters too)
    • Monster Spawn Point: Same type of monsters spawning in proximity is better
    Probably the least weighted variable in this list is "Other Monsters in the Map" for 2 reasons.
    1. Because this really doesn't matter if you have good AoE skills. Though I have to account for AoEs with limited number of attacks (heal with max 6, etc...)
    2. Because of your reasons. It may be more efficient to farm for more than 1 monster at a time.

Conclusions/TL;DR
    I rank each map focused on the target monster only.

Plus, it'd be much much harder to write a guide that starts from empty book to full book, from level 1 to 200, with the best efficient method.

BamboBambo if you'd like to add anything, please do!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    That is a fair point, not all RNG is the same, and everyone isn't starting from empty. In that same vein I saw the README but I was still unsure if farming only a single monster was really efficient. Speaking as someone who's collected alot I found the worst part to be card overlap on something I collected earlier (in addition to those earlier examples, you basically finish Copper Drakes just getting Fire Drakes..) but I understand the list isn't a guide on routing out the best maps from top to bottom for empty books.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fredaaaaa

fredaaaaa Brown Teddy

Jun 25, 2017
    12:11 AM
    Promise
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:11 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think a good way to solve ZooploopZooploop issue with the efficiency aspect is to color the monsters that are very hard to farm differently, and add tips for farming them on the side. For example for the Dark yeti and pepe monster, its row can be a different color to indicate that it is hard to farm, and on the tips you could write to farm for this before monster x, y, and z.

9. benQ

benQ Pac Pinky

Oct 14, 2016
    Male
    benQ
    Bishop
    maple
    hey..may i know how long it took u to complete the ashigaru set..?

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    There are multiple problems to evaluate "difficulty".

1. The biggest concern is that it will be very time consuming to try to determine difficulty. We'd have to physically farm for about 400 different mobs. If we spend merely 30 minutes on each mob, that's 200 hours, and this is without considering travel time, log in time, etc... My school started so I can't edit much already. Bambo has been editing a lot more than me, but I'm sure he doesn't have 200 hours laying around to spend.
    2. Plus, we need a set standard to determine the difficulty. Is it hard if killing 500 mobs drop 1 card? 300? 1000? Should we measure it by time instead? What about different jobs? Bishops are going to say 5000 mobs would be hard, whereas sins would think 100 is hard enough. Point is, it's going to be hard to determine a right number for "easy", "medium", and "hard". On that note, if I were to measure it by number of kills before a card drop, it will be difficult to count mobs.
    3. The harder part with difficulty is that drops are RNG based. what took me 10 minutes may take 10 hours for you.
    4. While we could ask the community to pitch in, I'm afraid it will lead to inaccuracy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:11 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I get that it is very hard to have a standard to determine the difficulty, but I don't think this needs to be scientifically accurate or anything.

Yes, luck plays a huge factor but I think that the only criteria you need for the mobs that should be colored differently would be ones that have very low spawn, like Dark yeti and pepe and shade (the black wraith in the subway), and extra C (very low spawn in showa).

Regardless, even just listing each monsters optimal map is a a lot of help and thanks for putting together the guide =).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    It took me a day to complete them but it was really around 3-4 hours of killing, with the more annoying mobs I tend to lose focus faster.

13. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Some updates... 1/30/19

The guide is almost finished. We just have to confirm a few maps.

A problem we have is Neo Tokyo maps, because the information is not on the lib.maplelegends.com, and BamboBambo and I are not strong enough to check the area out ourselves. If there is anyone who could provide data for Neo Tokyo, I'll really appreciate it!

Another missing cell is the map for Franken Lloyd. I can do MPQ but it'd be helpful if anyone knows the map name for this.

Besides those minor inconveniences, the spreadsheet is pretty much finished.

After this, I plan on updating FM price spreadsheet for a bit because it's been neglected for a while.

Some of you might have noticed that I have a new tab called "Routing Guide". I made this tab because of some suggestions from this thread, but I don't plan on completing it any time soon. It's too complicated and I also am not sure if the current rule set is good. For now, the tab is hidden until I settle on how to approach it.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that this guide is pretty much done! :happy:

14. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Just found out that the missing cells are monsters that are not yet in MapleLegends (Neo City Part 2)

So we put N/A in those cells and now the main guide is 100% complete! :woot:

Bambo is working on routing guide by town, but I'm not working on them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ngrman

ngrman Stone Golem

Jun 4, 2017
    Female
    BrasĂ­lia
    Those missing neo tokyo pt. 2 cards exist.
    Castellan, Vergamot, Nameless Magic Monster, Dunas, Nibergen

upload_2019-2-21_2-17-24.png

16. fredaaaaa

fredaaaaa Brown Teddy

Jun 25, 2017
    Promise
    Those mobs are currently available in maplelegends and are not part of Neo Tokyo part 2.
    Castellan is part of the ninja castle toad boss (I think it’s the first body) while vergamot, nameless, dunas & nibergen are bosses from Neo Tokyo part 1~

17. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Castellan is fixed. Thank you!

I thought/meant that they were in the database but they were not yet implemented (dummy data), so that picture doesn't really do a justice.

Seems like I was misinformed about Neo Tokyo Part 2 thing. The changes are reverted. Thank you both for the feedback SeemsGood

18. OP
    OP
    Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    UPDATE

With some suggestions on Neo Tokyo from fredaaaaafredaaaaa, the spreadsheet is finally 100.00% complete.

I would like to thank everyone again for suggestions and feedback on how to improve the spreadsheet, and please keep them coming!

Also, thank you for finding this spreadsheet useful ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    4:11 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    This is great! Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Bambo

Bambo Stone Golem

Jul 26, 2017
    Male
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    11:11 PM
    FPBambo
    F/P Wizard
    Spirit
    UPDATE

The guide will now include:
    - Monster Book Efficient Map Guide (The main guide from the first place): we won't explain this cause we have already did;
    - Monster Book Ring Information: All infos about stats and requirement of all 10 ring tiers;
    - Recommended Skills for Grinding: All skills and their special element that can help you grind faster;
    - Card Hunting Route (WIP): Monster Book Efficient Map Guide but sorted in a way you can follow to grind cards in a certain area.

Have a good day SlimeSweat2 :heartbeat:

• Like Like x 2