1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I am quitting, and what I think is wrong with MapleLegends

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by Hito, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePotatoSalad

ThePotatoSalad Windraider

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    4:15 PM
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    From my my perspective of this game is when it's early and middle game, sure i agreed about what you said "every class have pros and cons". but in late game content(neo city, ninja castle, and etc), the most thing you do in game is about bossing and crafting stuff and that means a hp washed NL will be the best class for you to do the boss run.

I think you already got some alternatives for gain hp:
    Pet scroll for HP
    ellin forest ring
    monster book ring
    Blackfist cloak
    MoN pendant

And I'm pretty sure, there will be more equipments which gives hp to the ranged class do not even need to hp wash even in the late game content.

Personally I do not like these things which gives hp gain for ranged class, because that just will make the ranged class more OP when compare with other melee class during boss fight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ThePotatoSalad

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    I would like to level up a new nightlord if they keep making Equipment which gives hp SlimeGrin There is no point to play other class.

4. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I would still play the classes I like haha no matter what :p. For now Ill tr to get 200 on my DK, my class hp cap is 15k *-*

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. ThePotatoSalad

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    Some hp washed NL have higher hp than you LMAO.

6. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    5:15 PM
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    you know why you dont see the main ranged classes weakness?:)
    leech.
    while warriors/mage can get easy exp, ranged should be the worst mobs killers. and by that the slowest to level up.
    funny how its connected.

and btw while ranged get bosses at end game, i think others get easier time on crafting(getting items from the monsters..)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    11:15 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Tradeable cash, not a good idea. Especially now that we allow multi-voting.

-

I think a lot of burnouts come from meta, but that's kinda brought upon by the player trying to play the most efficiently. Of course it's boring leeching 24/7 and voting like it's chores. That's the same burnout I felt with KMS when I had to make all these mules in specific order because that gives me more xp or whatever.

If you're playing nostalgic server for nostalgia, play for nostalgia, not for efficiency. If you want to be efficient, you already know you might not enjoy all the things you used to as a kid. Either way, you likely can't have all of both, so accept your choice.

As for HP Washing and leeching, yeah they kinda ruin some parts of the game... But again it comes back to meta vs. fun. You don't have to do them. Maple is RPG, not competitive game, so it's ok to ignore meta.

Edit:
    Bye Hito, I wish you best of luck for your future journey, and you're always welcome to come back
    FoxBye

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    8:15 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    There are quite a few parallels to MapleLegends and Runescape in general with the point I'd like to make, or perhaps to the MMO community as a whole. There's a big difference between how we played as a kid and how we play right now, and the chief concern usually comes back to efficiency. I'd like to pull up a video about efficiency in Runescape, but the point it makes is to the MMO community as a whole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIOZzmOiKxY

There's one quote in particular that I appreciate: "Does our dependency on other's knowledge ruin Runescape?"

I think it certainly takes much of the fun out of the game to be able to know everything, to know what is the most efficient method available, and to do that rather than content people enjoy. It's frustrating to see all of your friends passing you by, and to be left out of doing content with them because you'd like to do things in an enjoyable manner while so many others are just taking the shortest path to the goal. It's too easy to become envious of your neighbor when one day you're LPQing with them for fun then a week later you can't even train anywhere with them without drastically holding them back. Later on your guild-mates are killing Zakum or doing CWKPQ and you're still stuck training through 3rd job when really you just want to spend time with them. It's really no wonder why people choose to buy so much leech when you constantly feel like you're being left in the dust by everyone around you. It's easy to get frustrated when you have to compare your pool of HP to someone who put 250 int in and leeched their way past 120. It sucks to feel that the class you chose and enjoy can be replaced with a mule in the FM. There are countless ways to feel inferior in the community, and it sucks that the the easiest method to stop that is to make your mage, leech your intlord, and get as many buffs as you can and make a ton of mules for CWKPQ/Horntail/everything else.

The video I posted made the claim that Ironman Mode is what helped get Runescape out of this mess of efficiency. And for the most part, the Ironman community is really fun to watch with all of the silly rules they put in place. When you have to do everything on your own, it changes the places you visit and what you kill, it gets rid of all the easy answers. There are still fast training methods, but you skip out on important drops and equips when you stay in one place too long.

I'd like to see Ironmen come to MapleLegends, it would be an interesting experience and it would get rid of most of the envy that comes from seeing your neighbor's progress. If another ironman has more than you, it's because they put in the time on a completely even playing ground. It makes you happier to see a level 60 sword drop after hours of grinding, and it feels more special than any drops you receive from your main. It makes everything into an achievement, and the pride you get from it is a great feeling. It brings back the feelings on accomplishment rather than doing things out of effort in order to catch up, or to kill the next boss, or to get enough magic to 1ko the next mob. It's satisfying in a way that hasn't existed since playing as a kid.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    i disagree with many of the points in this thread by OP. Look at spencil's maple thread or skuire's maple thread. They are playing without mules, without leech and are doing very, very well for themselves. Hell, they even leveled their main attacker with tons of base int.

Why is hp washing an issue to you if you play crusader? Its an issue for squishy classes, not Paladins, heros, or shads.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    Thief
    please god
    nerf mage (make mage ultimate damage alot weaker - espeically genesis)
    nerf leech (nerf leech:leecher exp ratio - if is 65:35 now make it 75:35 and so on)
    nerf ap reset / hp wash (make ap resets harder to obtain (less nx or ap resets more expensive), or somehow change hp wash mechanics or w.e)
    nerf muling (disable multi client, make less nx on multi accs, remove fm button etc)
    and bonus -- make % nlc pots much more expensive - espeically mana %. this is also for meso sink but bonus leech / mage ulitmate nerf... just make mana bulls 2.5x more expensive, ginger ale/ginseng root 2x more expensive, honster 1.5x more expensive and so on. also is against mule play in bosses like ht(they cost pots).

i have more ideas but please god implement these

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
  11. oohyoo

oohyoo Horny Mushroom

Mar 3, 2018
    Female
    11:15 AM
    sunjoo/sappho
    it's getting tiring seeing all this whining about bishops. like kalash said before - making a high level bishop is a lot of effort. calling leeching lazy isn't really a valid argument imo. so the time that goes into making a bish, getting it gear, not to mention sitting there for hours leeching doesn't count as work? i think it depends on what ur goals are in-game. people have different play styles and just because one is more efficient doesn't make it a lesser way of playing. it doesn't break any rules and still requires time and dedication.
    as for attaining high level easily - i'm sure it goes without saying that levelling at 180+ especially requires so much work. leeching is not really an option at that point, so i still think the challenge is there as i've seen many 200s hit a wall exp wise.

also ^^^^ i hope none of those are implemented. people make bishops because of their utility and op damage. if you want mages nerfed so bad i hope you agree with the same happening to all other classes + their perks

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    9:15 AM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    why would you demand a whopper from mcdonald's when there's a burger king across the street

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. michaelxii

michaelxii Horny Mushroom

Oct 6, 2018
    Male
    michaelxii
    F/P Arch Mage
    California
    Why all of this mage hate? Mages excel at AoE attacks with their ultimates, and they work really hard to get there. Attackers have a harder time because they lack strong AoE, but they have other benefits like going on boss runs a lot.

In response to the original post, it took me months of grinding for days to get to 200 on my archmage. It was a combination of leeching others, grinding, and making alternate characters for buffs. It has been an awesome experience! It might not be the play style for everyone, but I really enjoyed being able to support my main. I don't think that this play style should be nerfed in favor of others. ML has a unique environment that allows people to leech/make mules or not. In fact, there's been a post recently about a person who is just going to stay on Vic. I think that's amazing, but I would never do that. To each their own!

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    I agree with a lot of your points on leeching, and I've experienced the same thing myself. Watching someone you know just zoom through levels can be frustrating.

And I also understand that players who create bishops for the purpose of leeching their main attacker or other characters put in plenty of time and effort doing so. I get that the current age demographic of players in Legends means not everyone has a lot of free time to grind endlessly to level and just want to get some fast levels via leeching. Or maybe it's hard to level through grinding when you have about a gazillion base int, or a billion of the other reasons why people choose to leech. I understand why people do it and I don't hold it against anyone as a play style, but --

It is very disheartening to see older, more established players tout leeching as the one and only form of leveling. I've witnessed people saying in chat "oh, don't bother with PQ, just leech!" which I think circles back to your point of how leeching hampers the community aspect of ML. It gets harder and harder to find people to do Party Quests with later on in levels because a good portion of the player base prefers to skip through those levels with leech instead. So for someone like me, who has made most of her friends via PQs, it's kind of a bummer to see happening.

However, I don't think leech culture will ever dissipate. Obviously some players (like you, like me, like some others I know) will choose to level however they want to, but people who want to leech will leech. I don't have a solution to this, all I can say is that I wish people would stop pushing it onto new players or making it seem like the "norm".

Anyway, in the end, all we can really do is play the game our way and encourage others to play it the way that they want to. The gratification that comes from grinding your character from level 1 to whatever you are at or will be is something that only you can feel and that you can personally create. Enjoy all the content offered at all levels. Suffer through killing Mushmom at a low level because you're weak and relish in the single spore that drops afterwards! Die to Crimson Balrog on the boat because you forgot to go inside. Don't let other people stop you from enjoying the game the way you want to.

tldr; agree with you on a lot of points, see you around maybe one day.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:15 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well I probably am not going to change your mind, but on the off chance that you are secretly desperately looking for some reason to stay, all I can really tell you is to stop giving a shit about what everyone else is doing.

I know it might sound really crass or ignorant... but really, why do you care so much about what other people are doing and how they do it? The first thing you should do is stop comparing yourself to others and internalizing it as a measure of self worth. Cheese is everywhere, and there is always going to be a bigger fish. The second thing you should do is maybe just join a good guild, with friendly people that are fun.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with the game design. But I mean, if these things are getting on your nerves so much on this server, you are certainly going to find it on every other server. Same thing only higher rates, more toxic communities, more bugs. Might as well just quit Maplestory in general. Or make your own server where none of that is allowed.

16. Conjuring

Conjuring Master Chronos

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    I think the OP meant that it's much harder to make friends in MapleLegends now compared to early days.
    Also, seeing less players PQing is pretty sad.

Edit: Just to make it clear. You can ignore other people leeching but it does affect you in a way - there are barely enough people to PQ and socialize with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ThePotatoSalad

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    I think you have no idea about how the game mechanic works...
    A ranged class gain lots of xp by doing boss run, there is not point for a ranged class to gain xp by killing mobs. Even that, do you really think a player who owns a ranged class do not have a mage char to do the self-leech?

About crafting, you do not really need to kill mobs to gain crafting mats as a ranged class... there are many other options to work around it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    11:15 PM
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    Someone legendary player that got to a super high level all by himself and that everyone will remember or wisper his name forever XD someone to idolise can easily get the motivation bars up and running XD

19. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    lol on one side you try to say im wrong, and on the other you support my claim.?

to compare exp gain: just look at exp/hp ratio of monsters and bosses. remember you cant use mules(hs..). account that bosses runs take time to make.
    and after that see the exp/time ratio. show me the result and tell me i dont undestand the game mechanic.

but anyway you said it yourself
    im saying you dont see ranged weakness because everyone leeching themself.
    hp washing/leeching making ranged classes better. removing hp washing will make them more dependent on other classes. removing leech will make them slowest to level up.

to everyone saying its hard to make mage and leech yourself, and if someone do it he deserve the benefit. if you know about it from the start you can make cleric and your main at the same time and level them together. cleric is very easy class to level.
    i want to be able to get the most efficient exp by play my chracter, and not by play mage and hang my main on a rope.

20. Humpf

Humpf Orange Mushroom

Jan 25, 2019
    Male
    2:15 AM
    Corrosion
    This <3

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.