1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release] Scroll Probability Calculator

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ahotbanana, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    10:38 PM
    Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to make this for quite a while now and I had a slow day at work, so I had the time to actually program it. I don't know how useful it's likely to be to anyone, but here we are:

upload_2019-4-12_17-32-27.png

What it does
    Given any combination of scrolls (of the types you can see in the screenshot), this will calculate the probability of each possible outcome, rounded to three significant figures.

It works on the assumption that you will keep going regardless of failures. Of course, you can use it to determine if it's worth continuing to scroll

It also assumes that the percentages listed in game are actually true, which often doesn't feel like it's the case :(

How to use it
    1. For the sake of sanity checking, choose the number of slots on the item (or the number of scrolls you intend to use).
    2. Choose how many of each scroll type you intend to use.
    3. Fill in the bonus you will get to your desired stat for each tier of scroll. You only need to fill in the scrolls you are actually using. Common setups for this can be applied with the Common Configurations buttons: 5/2/1 (eg overall int), 3/2/1 (eg gloves for att) and 2/1/0 (int bonus from gloves for m.att)
    4. Click on calculate and the ugly grey box should be filled in with a table.
    Where to download it
    For now, I've put the exe on my OneDrive and created this link for you to download it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsFsUF0eyeDzis5IFfDfnSqRrg15JA

If, however, you aren't comfortable running a random binary from a stranger, you can view and download the source from https://github.com/ahotbanana/Maple-Scroll-Probability-Calculator and compile it for yourself.

Final thoughts
    If you like this and have any features you'd like me to add, or indeed anything else you'd like me to program, let me know. I make no guarantees about when, if ever, I'll actually get round to doing any of them, but I will at least think about them.

If you have any questions about this tool, don't hesitate to ask. You might be better off contacting me in game, though (MerpleLergen).

If you find any bugs or anything that's not quite right, please do let me know, also.

Attached Files:

• Great Work Great Work x 13
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:38 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    LF>Chaos scrolls to be added in.

Though I bet they will throw the probabilities way out of wack considering all the outcomes.

3. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    It wouldn't be too hard to add chaos scrolls but I'd need accurate numbers for the probabilities of each possible outcome.

4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:38 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I am fairly certain that if the scroll works, its 1/11 for each outcome, -5 to +5.

5. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I've seen evidence to the contrary, but it was from a different server where it might work differently.
    Before I put the effort in to implement it, I would want to see the actual code for how it works, really.

6. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    6:38 AM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    I feel you bro

7. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    6:38 PM
    When worrying about how likely the chances are I usually just play around with a scrolling simulator.
    http://arcade.gamesalad.com/g/49395
    This is my favourite one, with working sounds and item actually blowing up ETC.

But in terms of chaos you need to have the 60% chance to pass then the 1/11 chance of a desired stat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    That is good to know. I'll start work on it when I get time because I have to say, it would be nice.

9. Isabella

Isabella King Slime

Jul 5, 2015
    Male
    11:38 PM
    Solaris
    Crossbowman
    Galaxsy
    Link to exe is not working :(

10. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    Seems to be working when I click it. What happens when you click on the link?

11. Isabella

Isabella King Slime

Jul 5, 2015
    Male
    11:38 PM
    Solaris
    Crossbowman
    Galaxsy
    Its working now... Maby the server of oneDrive was down I guess, If you did not change a thing

12. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    12:38 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    I'm a pretty noob coder so bear with me. What language is this in? It looks a bit similar to java but not quite. C#? (judging by the 'cs' ending)
    I'm using a mac so I don't know which languages other than Java are compatible across different OS's.

13. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    C# is correct. It is C#.net, specifically

14. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    So it's not compatible with mac? Or is there a way to run it on a mac?
    (Also google search says C# itself is built on a .net framework so what's the difference?)

15. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    If you can find a c# compiler that works on a mac, you might be able to compile it from source. I found one called mono: https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/macos/. I haven't used it, myself, though, so I can't say if it will work or not.

You might also be able to run the exe if you can find a Mac equivalent to Linux's WINE.

I actually have a MacBook sat on my desk at work, so I could try to get it to work on there if I get a spare moment. This will be lunch time tomorrow, at the earliest, though.

I thought there was a difference but having done a quick google search, I appear to be wrong.

16. Apricity

Apricity Snail

May 27, 2020
    Female
    Apricity
    Bishop
    Hi! The OneDrive link doesn't appear to be working - could you please re-upload if you have time? ;)

17. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I've updated the link in my original post. This one, in theory, shouldn't expire

• Like Like x 1
  18. Poke.

Poke. Red Snail

Oct 17, 2018
    This is great. Thanks for taking the time to make this! :)

19. JosephMis

JosephMis Slime

Sep 27, 2020
    Male
    7:38 PM
    What about adding chaos scroll? :)

20. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage