1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Slight increase to spawn rate

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by DarkSuga, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    12:30 AM
    Bowman, Beginner
    I just started playing ML yesterday and one thing I noticed almost instantly was the spawn rate and spawn amount. I'm still in the beginning stages so I can't speak for later in the game, but in the beginning it's so slow and the rates are so low that it makes a simple quest (like kill 20 slimes) take ages on end because of the spawn rate. It's even worse when you are trying to collect large amounts of items when you consider not all the monsters will drop what you need.

I'm assuming spawn rate/amount puts strain on the server (hence why gms has been nerfing things like kishin, for server issues) but if at all possible it'd be nice to see some kind of increase to make simple quests not take so long, especially when it already takes ages to walk between maps to find the mob you need in the first place, since as a beginner, you don't know where things are.

So an increase in respawns or the amount of spawns would be incredibly helpful and make simple quests take less time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    6:30 AM
    naw

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    10:30 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I have to scratch my head every time a new player comes play the game for a couple days and immediately suggests massive game changing alterations to long pre-established game mechanics.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    9:30 PM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    This server is meant to be low rates and challenging, so you most likely won't see the change you want. That being said, if you're having difficulty completing certain quests, try looking for maps with more spawn of whatever monster you're trying to kill. ie: more slimes at certain Ellinia maps than HHG1, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    You can even ask us for which maps we believe are best for particular spawns - or even ask people in game. There's rarely anyone I've met in game that isn't helpful for such things. And...of course...if you are looking for particular drops, you can always check The Junk Yard to see if I happen to have any in stock. [FM2 CH6]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    1:30 AM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    This is incredible, its the first time i see someone suggesting this change cuz a map of slimes :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    5:30 AM
    I've heard conflicting explanations of how monster spawns work in pre big bang ms, but the conclusion is usually the same: kill other monsters in the map than just the one you're looking for and the spawn rate should increase, particularly if you start killing monsters in other areas of the map.

From what I understand, it has something to do with how the maps section their spawn areas up. It also doesn't seem to be the case on some maps (eg windraiders) so I'm guessing not all maps were built in this way.

Honestly, I don't understand why this works, but from my own experience, it seems to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    spawnrate is already increased on this server. Maples spawnrate back then was terrible...

10. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    So just because I'm new to this private server I can't make a suggestion? I've been playing the original gms for many years, it's not as if I'm a new player to a game I've never played before.

I suggested this because these quests take a long time to the point it's more of a frustration than a fun thing to challenge you. It gets tiring and boring. (insert everyone telling me not to play then)
    I have used the library a bit but just walking to all those places where there are more spawns of things takes ages in itself because movement is so slow.
    Also being an archer, the maps are a bit more difficult for me if they aren't flat/straight maps to kill things on.

11. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    It took me almost an hour to find, get to, and kill 30 slimes. That's a bit insane at that point.

12. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    I don't remember it being quite this low, but then again, I'm so used to gms how it is now and how fast paced it is, and this is my first time on an old school maple server that maybe I just forgot. But I could have sworn it wasn't this painfully slow. Though I have been thinking about it and there is a chance that this version of maple is a tad bit older than when I started playing maple, so perhaps when I did join the spawn rate had improved in gms at the time. Or just movement speed in general.

I could almost cope with spawn rates if it didn't take me 10 minutes to get around maps.

13. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    You are of course free to share your own experiences and make suggestions, but you shouldn't expect people to take them seriously. You have experienced a very tiny portion of the game (at least this version) and are championing changes that have massive effects on the entire game. Naturally people are not going to prioritize your struggles with killing slimes against the EPH rates and rotations of important endgame maps.

14. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    2:30 PM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    Wat.

If you don't even know where slime tree is at Ellinia, you can't fault people for treating you like a new player

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    Because like I said in an earlier post, it's been a long time since I've played this version of maple, and I don't know where anything is anymore. Maps aren't labeled with mobs like they are in gms now so it's an effort to find stuff and walking everywhere without any kind of jump skills to speed up your movement makes it take forever.

16. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    A slight increase in spawn rate isn't that massive, unless whoever hosts the server can't afford to host the strain of a few extra spawns.
    I have only experienced a tiny portion, yes, but the first bit of a game someone plays is what impression they get of it. If people think a game is slow, tedious, and you never progress, there are people who will want to give up.

No one has commented on where I said 'I don't know what maps are like later on' to assure me that the spawn rates/amount of mobs later on in the game improves or not.
    That will make a difference to me at least. Like 'hey, it's slow as hell now but it gets better so taking days to go up 1 freaking level will be worth it'

17. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    ? There's literally a map with 53 Slimes?

Your basis for increasing spawn rate is because you ended up trying to kill 30 Slimes at a map that has low Slime counts?

18. OP
    OP
    DarkSuga

DarkSuga Mano

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    Bowman, Beginner
    Where is that map then? Because all these quests are given to you where the surrounding areas have incredibly slow and small spawn rates of the things they are asking you to kill.
    If it's somewhere far off, it'll take just as long with all the slow af walking everywhere than it is with the tiny spawn rate right outside of town.

19. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    https://maplelegends.com/lib/map?id=101010101

I'm just trying to point out how flimsy the argument is. You're trying to increase the spawn rate for every map on the entire server because of a low spawn map for the mob you wanted to hunt.

20. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Thread locked as it's leading to off-topic discussions and name-calling.

All suggestions are valuable. Early game balance is as important as late game balance, and opinions of newbies are as important as oldies' since that's how we get to know our server's first impression. So please don't undervalue anyone's suggestions unless they are obviously trolly/satire.

That being said, spawn rate is sensitive part of balancing and it's not as easy as just increasing it by x second since a slight change can become a major impact over time. We want our server to be hard, so it is natural for you to feel like it's punishing. It gets better as you level up, though. If you have any questions like where to kill certain mobs or how to progress, please feel free to ask on Discord, Forum, or in-game. A lot of people will be happy to guide you.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.