1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guide for MAC Workaround Guide for MAC users

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Mirrors, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    12:45 PM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    MapleLegends will not work on any MacOS version higher than Catalina (MacOS 10.15+) since they have disabled 32 bit support
    You will have to dual boot Windows using a virtual machine, bootcamp, downgrade to an older version of MacOS, or buy a PC.

Please try to install the game normally via the installer in MapleLegends website, if you still have problems after, continue reading the thread.

Troubleshooting Common Problems

[​IMG] Stuff is freezing / hanging / lagging / nothing is happening

Wineskin is very finnicky, when this happens it's helpful to nuke every single Wineskin process from your mac.
    • Open up your Activity Monitor app
    • Use the Search function in the top right to look for anything related to Maple, XQuartz, Wine and then quit those functions.
      • If you want to be really safe, you can also restart the computer.
      • Once you are sure nothing is running, you can try running some of the below steps
    [​IMG] Client not popping up when trying to launch (Refreshing wrapper / Toggling Rendering Engine)
    • Refresh the wineskin wrapper by going to your wineskin app and then going to Advanced > Tools > Refresh Wrapper
      • Gif of how to refresh wrapper
      • Try toggling wine to use Mac Driver / X11.
        • Personally, my laptop dies when using Mac Driver but others have had success using it.
    • If neither works, go try turning off HDClient (explained below)
    [​IMG] Client crashes upon logging in / character select (Turning off HD Client)
    Change client to not be using HDClient:

• Right click on MapleLegends > Show Package Contents > drive_c > Neckson > MapleLegendsHD > Legends.ini
    • In Legends.ini you change HDClient = 1 to HDClient = 0.
      • Remember to save the file!
      • You can open this file with any text editor, your Mac should come with TextEdit and that should be enough.
    • In Wineskin, set the Windowed size to 800x600 (if running with X11)
    • Have it in Windowed mode when logging in (even with double screen).

Last Updated 01/10/2020
    Improved Workaround Mac Installation
    This will not work for the latest patch. Please use the official Mac Client download on the Downloads portion of the website!!

Please only use this workaround installation if none of the troubleshooting below worked for you.
    Thanks to the hard work of DKraiDKrai, we are optimistic to release an even faster method for installing the Maplelegends Mac client that requires no fidgeting with wineskin winery!

[​IMG] VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE [​IMG]

Thank you Dkrai for the video [​IMG]

Steps
    1. FOR CURRENT ML PLAYERS: Duplicate your existing Maplelegends app so this workaround doesnt screw up anything.
      • FOR NEW ML PLAYERS: Download an older version of ML here, and use that instead for this workaround guide.
    2. Download this: MapleLegendsHD
    3. Drop the download in your copied MapleLegends copy.app > (right click, show contents) > drive_c > Neckson
    4. Open up wineskin.app
      • Should be next to drive_c and contents
    5. Click Advanced
    6. Click the [Browse] button to the right of Windows EXE path
    7. Pick the Maplelegends.exe of the download you dropped in by navigating to drive_c > Neckson > MapleLegendsHD > MapleLegends.exe. Hit [Choose]
    8. Refresh wrapper from the Advanced > Tools page, then Test Run.
    9. After that, you should be able to run the new ML normally from this app.

Old DEPRECATED Workaround Method
    STOP!!! This is a deprecated workaround method. If the above method doesn't work for you please ping Mirrors#0588 or Mott#6035 on Discord instead.

TL;DR
    Welcome, if you're here I'm assuming you're here to attempt to run Maple on Mac using a temporary workaround method while we wait for the Mac client to stabilize. Here's a short explanation on how:
    1. Install a new ML into a new blank wineskin wrapper
    2. Move the newly installed files from Step 1 into an old working ML wineskin wrapper
    3. Point wine to run the new ML you just dragged into the old wineskin. Tada!
    Pre-requisites
    You need all of these to do the guide!!
    • An older version of Maplelegends
      • We will not be running this older version of MapleLegends, we will just be using the old wrapper to run the new MapleLegends in.
      • If you don't have an older version, DKraiDKrai has posted a download here
    • Wineskin Winery + Wine program
      • How to get it will be explained in Step 1
    • Special Mac Windows Installation of Maplelegends
      • Please use this package instead of the one on the website. Kimmy made it specially for this guide
      • Save it somewhere where you can easily find it, i.e. Desktop / My Downloads, you will be needing it in Step 4.
    Step 1: Installing Wineskin Winery
    You will need to install an app called Wineskin in order to create a new blank Wineskin wrapper to install the PC version of MapleLegends.

There are currently 2 different versions (PICK ONE):
    • Unofficial Wineskin Winery
      • More people seem to have success with the Unofficial Wineskin Winery and running a V4.X.X engine, v4.2.1.
      • The Unofficial Wineskin Winery is recommended because provides support for newer versions of MacOS.
    • Wineskin Winery
      • Wineskin Winery only officially works up to version OS X 10.10 Yosemite. If you have a higher version of MacOS, it is possible this Wineskin Winery app will not work.
      • For this, it's recommended to use an older engine like v2.x.x but it's up to you.
    Which one should I use?
    Honestly it seems like a 50/50 chance which one works for your laptop.

Step 2: Creating a Blank Wineskin Wrapper
    Open your new Wineskin Winery app. It should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    You should not have any Engines available yet. Click the little "+" button in the bottom right to add a Wineskin engine.
    I used v4.x.x since I was using the Unofficial Wineskin Winery app, but if you're using Wineskin Winery you should use v2.22 or something similar.

It may complain about having to install wine-mono, go ahead and install it.
    [​IMG]

Click the "Update" button under "No Wrapper Installed" and it should install the engine wrapper that you just downloaded. You should be able to create a blank wrapper after.
    [​IMG]

If v2 doesn't work, please upgrade and try installing with a v4 engine using the Unofficial Wineskin Winery app.
    (You can name it whatever you want).
    [​IMG]
    After your new wrapper is created, click "Bring me to my wine wrappers folder".
    If you can't find your wrapper, it should be in ~/Applications/Wineskin (where ~ means your home folder, usually your username). Notice this is the Applications folder inside your home folder, NOT your main Applications folder.

Step 3: Installing Necessary Winetricks
    Navigate to the folder where you created your new wine wrapper. Right click on your new wrapper, and click "Show Package contents". It should show these items:
    [​IMG]
    Double click on the Wineskin app.
    Click on Advanced Options > Tools> Winetricks.
    You will have to install some additional dll files in order to get the Maplestory installer to work correctly on your Mac.
    Don't know if you need all of them but I installed them all - got the list from the Linux guide on the forums, thanks Linux users!
    • d3dx11_42, d3dx11_43
    • d3dx9_26, d3dx9_28, d3dx9_31, d3dx9_35, d3dx9_39, d3dx9_42, d3dx9_43
    • dotnet20
    • mfc42
    • vcrun6sp6
    [​IMG]

Search for each of the package names, CLICK THE CHECK and make sure you HIT RUN and that your Winetricks finishes installing all of the Winetricks necessary.
    You can click on the little cog in the Winetricks app and click 'Show Downloaded' to make sure you have all the proper dll's downloaded.

[​IMG] ERROR, tried to run command WSS-____ when wrapper was already running
    [​IMG]
    If you get this error, you need to:
    1. Quit all Wine and Maplestory related processes from your Activity Monitor (go look at the troubleshooting section at the top of the guide if you need help)
    2. Update your Wineskin Winery wrapper:
      • Wineskin.app > Tools > Update Wrapper > close. Currently people have had success at wrapper version 2.9.0.4, engine version 2.22. Then redo steps 3 in the guide.
    3. If you don't see an Update or your Wineskin says no update is available, uninstall Wineskin Winery, and try it again.

Step 4: Installing MapleLegends
    Now that you have installed all the necessary components to get ML installed, you can actually install it now!
    Go to Install Software > Choose Setup Executable from the main page of your Wineskin wrapper app.
    It should ask you for an .exe file. Go select the MapleLegends .exe file that you downloaded from the Pre-requisites section of the guide, and it should start installing MapleLegends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Runtime Error: Cannot Import dll
    This is because you're missing the dll's I specified in Step 3.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] 'No new executables found!' error
    [​IMG]
    First, you should update your wrapper version.

Wineskin.app > Tools > Update Wrapper > close, and reopen, and rerunning all necessary Winetricks. Currently people have had success at wrapper version 2.9.0.4, engine version 2.22. Then redo steps 4-5 in this guide.

If that doesn't work, you can try restarting from Step 1 and use a different wine engine versions. (Unofficial vs. Official)

Step 5: Copying Over Your New MapleLegends
    Now under your new wineskin's drive_c folder, you should have a MapleLegendsHD folder which was created after you finished installing it.
    Go to your old MapleLegends wineskin drive_c, and then drag in the new MapleLegendsHD into the old wineskin's drive_c.
    Then, open your old wineskin's Wine and change the Windows EXE to the new MapleLegendsHD executable, like so:
    NOTE: The location of your MapleLegends.exe may be different from the path below, but what's important is that you point it to the right place. Your path may be closer to C:\Neckson\MapleLegendsHD\MapleLegends.exe - just wherever you put your new ML executable.
    [​IMG]

You may want to try restarting your computer after Step 5, and then toggling between X11 / Mac Driver in the "Set Screen Settings" page if you're having issues opening the program.

Then your MapleLegends should work!!

[​IMG] MapleLegends gives me a black screen and crashes immediately
    Some things to check before going nuclear:
    1. Are you using the correct installation? The Windows download on the website won't work, you have to use the special link in the Pre-Requisites section of this guide.
    2. Did you try refreshing your wrapper?
    3. Is your Legends.ini correct?
    4. Is HD mode off? (If it's on, turn it off.)
    If you've passed and tried all of the above, currently, we haven't figured out how to fix this besides nuking everything Wineskin and Maple related and restarting from Step 1. ):

Also try setting your screen options to this:
    [​IMG]

I have not tried getting it to work in HD client mode, but I was able to log on and play.

Thanks to users STEVEN (On discord) and SunwaveSunwave for their help

• Great Work Great Work x 15
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MickNuggets

MickNuggets Slime

Jun 28, 2019
    Female
    California
    MickNuggets
    Bishop
    Thank you for this, now I can finally play! MapleF15

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. kanskje

kanskje Orange Mushroom

Mar 2, 2019
    3:45 PM
    Dark Knight
    Anti
    Thank you sm for putting this guide together and going above and beyond to help us! <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:45 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    To run the installer in a more lightweight fashion do (requires homebrew: https://brew.sh/)

```
    brew install wine winetricks
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32
    winetricks mfc42
    wine win7
    wine /path/to/installer
    ```

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:45 PM
    Moderator Post
    This guide has been re-opened.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:45 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I'll chime in with another. Sometimes the Wineskin wrapper gets hung up and prevents a restart of the client. If this happens open a Terminal window (open Spotlight and search for `Terminal`) and paste the following command:

```
    pkill -f wine -9
    ```

This will kill (as abruptly as that sounds, outright end) all processes that contain the text `wine` in their name. Saves you having to manually quit one-by-one all the Wine processes Wineskin spawns via Activity Monitor.

Only run that command if you're finding it a nuisance to get back in-game after a crash quickly – remember all Wine processes will be killed in-case you happen to be dual, or triple etc clienting.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  7. tesuji

tesuji Blue Snail

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    thank you, I was able to get it to work. as a data point, I'm on Mojave, using Mac Driver and HDClient = false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PotatoCider

PotatoCider Slime

Sep 9, 2019
    Female
    Canada
    Bowman
    Thank you for this guide! I got it working, albeit not with the new HD client

Just a note for anyone on v2.x of Wineskin and OS X High Sierra or later:

I got a "No new executable found!" error when trying to install the PC client. If you run into issues, try disabling Auto GPU Detection by following the guide below

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=87

You can also try switching between the Mac driver and X11 for the new wrapper

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lurk

lurk Blue Snail

Dec 7, 2019
    Female
    I got up to "Step 4: Installing MapleLegends" but I ran into this error when I did Install Software > Choose Setup Executable.
    I chose the "Latest Windows version of Maplelegends" in the guide .exe (MapleLegends2019Nov3Rev4MAC.exe) and it showed me this error. To work around this. I tried moving the .exe inside the wineskin's drive_c folder but the same error persists. I also can't open the wineskin wrapper to access the .exe in the wrapper's drive_c folder when using the wineskin program.

Please help :( I'm running 10.13 on High Sierra

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Did you ever manage to install Maplelegends like see the installer and installation steps?

11. lurk

lurk Blue Snail

Dec 7, 2019
    Female
    Nope, never got to the part with the installer and steps.

12. OP
    OP
    Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Did you install all the necessary dll's? What engine is your Wineskin Winery running?
    Alternatively most people can get the Mac client up and running now without doing all the extra steps - what issues do you run into if you just try to install the native Mac client that's available on the ML website?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Nguyenqdo

Nguyenqdo Orange Mushroom

Jun 6, 2018
    Male
    3:45 PM
    nguyen
    Magician, Bishop, Thief
    Mayhem
    after doing this i couldnt do multi client anymore . is anyone else getting this problem?

14. tesuji

tesuji Blue Snail

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    I'd like to provide an update since the December patch gave me some extra trouble. I was consistently running into the "No new executable found" error, despite trying variations of Wine engine versions (4.21stable, 4.21staging, 2.22). what I discovered worked was to use the same Wineskin wrapper from November's build (which was created using your guide), updating the wrapper version internally (Wineskin.app > Tools > Update Wrapper > close, and reopen), and rerunning all necessary Winetricks. Currently I'm at wrapper version 2.9.0.4, engine version 2.22. Then I basically redo steps 4-5 in this guide.

I believe I'm able to run the game as normal (non-HD), with a few additional quirks:
    1) The game always starts fullscreen, which can be toggled with Cmd+Enter.
    2) The window is titled "MapleLegends (Build 04/11/2019)"

I'm still on Mojave 10.14.6, but now using X11, Auto Detect GPU is checked, and HDClient = false.

Additional Thoughts
    I've read through some of the Discord posts and everyone seems to have different methods of getting it to work. I guess mine's no different, but it might be less work for someone who previously had a build working (if it's not broke don't fix it mentality). Good luck to everyone.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Thank you for this, I'll add this to the guide. I had someone else who fixed the issue by doing what you said above as well!

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    This seems to be an even faster method for installing the mac client that requires no wineskin winery. Tested successfully on 4/4 macs

1. Duplicate your current maple so this doesnt screw up anything
    2. Download this: MapleLegendsHD
    3. drop this in MapleLegends copy.app > (right click, show contents) > drive_c > Neckson
    4. open up wineskin.app that's right next to drive_c and contents
    5. click advanced
    6. click [Browse] to the right of Windows EXE
    7. navigate to drive_c > Neckson > MapleLegendsHD > MapleLegends.exe and hit [Choose]
    8. refresh wrapper and test run

DM me on Discord if you have issues with this method: Mott#6035

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:45 PM
    Moderator Post
    This will be unsticked for now since the proper MAC method is out again thanks to MirrorsMirrors you can find it on our download page. You may have to refresh the wrapper once to get it to work still like before.

18. vodavid98

vodavid98 Snail

Mar 24, 2020
    Male
    vodavid98
    Beginner
    Hey kim, im on the newest version of MAC sierra and I can't open the private server. I installed and right clicked, and refreshed on wineskin, but still cannot open. HELP

19. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    I'm unsure if you mean Newest version of Sierra like 10.12.X, or newest version of MAC OS. If it is the latter, MapleLegends does not support Catalina since Apple removed 32 bit support on that operating system.

Support Via Forums is often slow. For quicker support reach out to the Discord #support channel and tag MottMott and MirrorsMirrors

20. Toad

Toad Red Snail

Jun 11, 2021
    Male
    1:45 PM
    Toady
    Great to see there is MAC support. :)