1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Seiras's LPQ - Stage 8 Overlay

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Seiras, Mar 29, 2020.

Do you want anything updated in this tool?

1. No, you can be lazy.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Yes, make some form of automatic incrementation!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Yes, let us choose which pattern we want!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Yes, give me auto-incrementing AND pattern selection! >:O

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't know why I'm here but I want to feel like I'm participating c:

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. I want something else added. (please leave a comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    6:43 AM
    I/L Wizard
    This is a tool that puts colored squares over the boxes in LPQ's Stage 8. Simply open it up while in stage 8 and it will move itself on top of the boxes to show you the way. If you often get lost while your party is jumping around, try following along with this to learn! Or if the entire party wants to use this... then you can share which # of 126 you're on every time you get lost and sync back up. This tool follows the KMS pattern explained in Bulba's LPQ Guide for Scrubs, which is basically the exact same as the JMS pattern (except KMS does the 1-3 and 1-3-6 alternating).

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video of it being used:

Notes:
    - Auto-positioning requires that the first B in Blue Balloon's name is visible.
    - The frame can be dragged within the gray area that displays the "Combo: 12345 1 of 126" text, but if the Blue Balloon is visible it will still re-position itself automatically.
    - Must be in windowed mode.
    - Multi-monitor support is untested.
    - Only tested on Windows, but Java is usually cross-platform.
    - Double-click opening is enabled, no need for the command line.

Requires java (Java 8 recommended).
    Source code is included inside the jar for security concerns.

Newest Download: ("Seiras's LPQ Stage 8 v2.jar", 36 KB)
    Download link was removed.
    - Added a right-click menu
    - Added window minimizing
    - Removed the ability to focus on the window (the game will stay in focus as a result)
    - Added square width resizing via the right-click menu or mouse wheel
    - Added 2 more pixel arrays for auto-positioning (The 'n' in Blue Balloon's name and the yellow circle under box #6)
    - Added complimentary Stage 6 code in right-click menu. Clicking it copies it to the clipboard if you wish to paste it into chat for your party.
    - Added a link to this forum thread

Old Downloads:
    ("Seiras's LPQ Stage 8.jar", 27 KB)
    Download link was removed.
    - Original release

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    1:43 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Looks hella useful, this is genius.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    Just used it for the first time, and someone decided to stand on balloon's name even after I asked not to... proceeded to take the card when someone else rolled for it, and then took bonus stage loot too. Good times >.< Gonna have to fix that name check tho. But it was nice to go from not having a clue what was going on to being able to lead for the first time :eek: I finally knew what I was doing xD

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    12:43 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I can't count the number of people that I taught how to do this. It'll be so much easier to just refer to this. Plus it seems like a beautiful piece of software from the post, with image recognition and all. Well done!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    1:43 PM
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    LOL wtf

6. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    5:43 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Really impressive how you managed to overlay it on the game itself. That said, you mentioned it follows the "KMS" pattern, which from what I understand is different than JMS? In all the LPQs I've done on Legends, JMS has been the standard, so to avoid confusion maybe you could implement a separate mode for each.

7. Bambo

Bambo Stone Golem

Jul 26, 2017
    Male
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    6:43 PM
    FPBambo
    F/P Wizard
    Spirit
    bigpog I love this already
    Thank you!

8. OP
    OP
    Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    The KMS pattern is the JMS pattern, except for 1 difference... KMS does the 1-3 and 1-3-6 alternating while JMS does not. In the 35 runs I did, alternating was the standard, so I only included that pattern.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    5:43 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Oh shoot, I guess I was doing KMS this whole time then, the one with the alts. Everyone here calls it JMS tho. :eek:

10. OP
    OP
    Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    I'm just going by what that one linked guide said cuz everything I know is from that post xD I've updated my description to clarify the JMS/KMS thing tho. Thanks for bringing it up :)

11. Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    7:43 AM
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    This seems like a really neat, useful tool for people new to the JMS method! It's awesome how the boxes have image recognition. The only user experience suggestion I would make is (and I don't know if this is possible but): maybe the tool could move to the next combination of boxes on it's own instead of the user having to press 'next' between each try, perhaps through image recognition for the 'x wrong' graphic. From watching the video of it being used, it looks like a lot of extra effort is needed and people may get tired of clicking an additional amount. The manual buttons could still be useful for overiding if there was a mistake, and maybe include an auto/manual button to turn the automatic mode off?

Also I noticed that the 1-3-6 alt doesn't include 7, but from my experience, I've seen some parties alt 1-3-6-7 if it ever gets to that point. Not sure how common it is.

12. OP
    OP
    Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    I had considered an auto-increment system while making this (based on the fail X just as you said), but I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort to include... knowing that it might make it harder when a step is missed.

Now that I think about it again, I realize I should have verified if I can use the minimap to see if the party was on the correct boxes. It might not be possible due to how close the orange dots are to each other, but it would have been worth checking out. I don't have the proper screenshots to see though D:

As for the 1-3-6-7 thing, I had seen that once or twice before during my 35 runs. Following the linked guide, it says not to do that due to efficiency loss. I figured I would just include the most-efficient pattern so that if people were using this to learn, they were learning the 'best' way. Or at least what I have been persuaded to believe is the best...

It is entirely possible for me to include multiple patterns and automatic incrementation (I'd probably just shove them into the right-click menu), but those aren't high on my priority list...

• Like Like x 1
  13. thattada

thattada Blue Snail

May 3, 2020
    Male
    AnotherThief
    Assassin
    love the idea. ui could be cleaner but gj

14. maybeandy

maybeandy Stone Golem

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Dream Land
    4:43 AM
    Inexorable
    I/L Arch Mage
    Demure
    For your first release version of this, I just want to say this is actually a really creative project idea and I think would be a ton of help to new players to visually learn how to practice JMS. I always told people it was like a cascading waterfall and follow the leader, but this really helps picture it.

Great job, actually do want to link this to some of the newer players I know.