1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Akash Sky's Horntail Journal

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by akashsky, Nov 20, 2019.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    1:42 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Hello Maplelegends. Welcome to yet another maplestory journal! This one won't be updated as often as some of the other ones though.

Anyways, this journal is going to be about my progression at horntail. As most high level players know, corsairs are pretty garbage at doing horntail - but even though they are garbage, I still want to run horntail and see if I can use my skill as a player to make it so my character does decent damage. As a result, I decided to start this journal, where I will post my DPM 30 -45s of horntail main body. Hopefully overtime it will go up as I learn to dismount and stop falling off the ledges as much.

Anyways, before we go into my horntail dpm lets take a look at my 'freefire' dpm at the target dummy.

upload_2019-11-19_19-54-11.png

On heartstopper + SE (Heartstoppers are really strong on horntail main body in theory because of the +60 avoid), I do almost 11.5m dpm with battleship cannon.

With Rapid fire my dpm is sitting at just over 7.66m. If I was able to to do this much damage in horntail, my character would be a very decent attacker!

Alas that is not the case. So, lets start with horntail #1 DPM 30 (on stopper).
    upload_2019-11-19_19-56-40.png
    4.56m dpm. Just over a heavens hammer mule!

So that means I am doing 39.6% of the battleship damage and 59.5% of my rapidfire damage.

Anyways, the more horntails I run, the more experience I'll get. And maybe , just maybe I can prove that corsairs are not so bad at horntail after all.

• Great Work Great Work x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    2:42 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Ah, nothing more exciting than some good old HT dpm optimizations. There are actually a lot of strategies you can implement to get small improvements. If we look at a comparable class like Bowmasters (although they have more avoid), using every trick in the book BMs can get around ~70-75% of their uninterrupted dpm averaged over an HT body, so I expect that you will improve quite a bit as you get more experience. I look forward to seeing that number go up!

Until then the HH mule still wins hehe
    Maple0894.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I am back with an update! After running a few more horntails I got more comfortable with staying on the platform. However, my dismount game is still lacking.

upload_2019-12-4_20-30-17.png

4.7m DPM on stopper. Yes, the HH mule is still better but thats a 200k DPM increase over last time!

At this point, I need to learn how to dismount and preserve my battleship to get higher damage. My ship still breaks very often, especially at the beginning. The other thing I want to add is that I was duo clienting in this horntail run with my paladin, Protoss, so it was a bit harder to control my corsair than usual since I was also taking care of protoss.

The last thing to note is that although my DPM only shows 4.7m over 45mins, once you go to the left hand side, corsair damage really goes up. I did a small dpm 5 test after the initial dpm 45, and my dpm was over 7m.

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Back with another update. This time from a run where I was only using 1 client, had sharpeyes and speed infusion - basically this was the best possible situation a corsair could hope for.

Anyways before showing the horntail dpm, lets go back to my freefire dpm.
    upload_2019-12-7_20-47-33.png

On sharpeyes, speed infusion and stoppers, my freefire dpm is as follows:
    Rapidfire: 7.718m
    Cannon: 12.243m

Now, lets get to the horntail dpm.
    DPM45sise.JPG
    DPM in horntail 45mins using stoppers was 5.835m

This is a MASSIVE increase from before - nearly 1m!

However, thats because this is the best possible situation for corsairs. I am still only doing:
    75.6% of my rapidfire freefire dpm, and
    47.659% of my cannon freefire dpm.

Regardless though, this is a big boost from my first attempt, where I only got: 39.6% of the battleship damage and 59.5% of my rapidfire damage.

Throughout this run I did try to dismount a little, but mostly just tried to focus on positioning. To get the ratio's a bit higher, dismounting has to be the next thing I perfect. I'm certain with a bit more practice i can reach 50% of my battleship cannon dpm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    New Update showing some FAKE dps.

This run was the ACTUAL best case scenario for sair.
    Echo, Sharpeyes, Speed infusion, Smoke, Timeleap and Boat glitch.

What is boat glitch? Well, its basically a glitch that happens every now and then where a corsairs boat doesn't take any damage. I didn't notice it happening until the run started, but typically its fixable by restarting your client.

Anyways, what it does is that it makes your boat unbreakable. So I went throughout this entire run without ever having battleship on cooldown.

upload_2019-12-12_20-57-28.png

7.7m DPM. Now, this isn't something that I can realistically expect to achieve consistently, as all the stars have to align and its technically bug abuse (though I can't restart my client to fix the glitch mid HT run, so kind of unreasonable to NOT use it in this run).

But I guess this sets a nice bench mark for basically a perfect run. I don't think this is beatable by any legit means until maybe I reach level 200 and finally get some perfect gear.

• Like Like x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2019-12-28_20-40-42.png

Back with a new update. This was a 12man run hosted by Gary, AKA Zalvatore!

I used 1 stew and the rest heartstoppers in this DPM 45. I also only had sharpeyes, and 1 shadower on the team.

The main optimization that happened this run was ship dismount. I finally learned the attack animations of the preheads and now know when I need to dismount. Not only do I know when I need to dismount, but I actually can react in time to dodge the attacks ~50% of the time.

This significantly increased my ships longevity, it broke only 6 times in the entire 1hr 30minute run.

Going forward, I need to gain some more levels to stack up more ship HP along with sharpen my dismounting to lessen the number of boat breaks per run.

Another thing is I want to try harder to do more runs with speed infusion. SI improves the smoothness of dismount significantly - so I expect my DPM to rise ALOT once I get my dismount rate high on speed infusion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Joined a run hosted by sweet dream!
    upload_2020-1-11_22-15-46.png

This run i used a dpm 45 on stopper, we had constant echo, si, and SE!

There was no boat glitch, so this is 100% legit dpm 6.457m! This is a significant improvement, at this point I would like to think that my corsair is starting to become a decent attacker.

• Like Like x 3
  8. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-1-19_21-47-31.png
    Props to DragonNich on his first Horntail Host!

This run was a disaster, but we managed to pull through! Our bishop died while legs were still alive, so we basically went through the entire run praying that seduce wouldn't kill us. Luckily for us, DragonNich was sed target and he controlled perfectly to minimize his chance of dying while seduced. We also got lucky and didn't get any mass seduce during arms.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-2-1_21-1-53.png

Back with another horntail - with the SUMMER SQUAD. Thanks to Blu301Blu301 for hosting this run!

I was able to multiclient my SI mule, to get a bit more performance out of my corsair. The new thing here is that I started to react more to wing animation potion wise, so I am able to keep my HP at ~8k. This allows me to save a significant amount on potions throughout the run - though it is a bit more risky in that if i misjudge i might die.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-3-27_18-44-58.png

Back with an update after a lot of inactivity. Since last time I've upgraded a lot of my gear.
    14 attack gloves -> 15 attack
    5 sets of armor piercing bullets (+2 att, and they lasted most of the run)
    104 att gun -> 107 att 2 slot gun.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a dpm boost because this run was a pepega run. We got an early dispel killing both bishops, then our marksman died meaning I didn't have SE, and only had SI.

Then we had a bunch of mass seduce killing our nightlords. I somehow survived through sheer luck (ok lets be real it was the hp washing xD).

Anyways 6m dpm on stoppers isn't bad, but it is lower than what i had hoped for. I DOn't feel like my performance was particularly good this run either.

Still it was a ton of fun, long live summer!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    2:42 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  12. whatbish

whatbish Slime

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    3:42 PM
    whatbish
    Beginner
    Skar debuff please

I enjoy seeing the improvements Akash

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Hello legends,

Here is my latest HT dpm!
    upload_2020-4-1_21-7-28.png

The only special thing done here was that i did a DPM 55, instead of the normal dpm 45. In theory this would allow me to capture the later stage of horntail which is a lot easier for corsair to dps on. However, I think that this only will result in a higher number if you get lucky and don't get weapon cancels. Once you get to this part of horntail, its quite common for weapon cancels to prevent you from attacking anything.

So, I think the usefulness of dpm 55 isn't that great unless you have someone else to compare against in the same run. Regardless, I did hit a new all time high record in terms of DPM. I am now at 6.687m dpm on stoppers (with si,se and echo).

Perhaps with a few more refinements along with perfecting my gun, I will breach 7m dpm!

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The perfect corsair
    upload_2020-4-6_20-21-7.png

Since last time I've gotten some significant upgrades. I've finally finished my gun!
    upload_2020-4-6_20-22-14.png
    And also upgraded my cape to 12 attack.
    upload_2020-4-6_20-22-34.png

This run was with only SE and stoppers. I was missing SI and echo, or else I am sure i would have broke 7m dpm. Even still, i got a very solid 6.79m dpm 45. Furthermore, i was multi clienting my paladin which made the corsair control a bit more challenging (but still very much doable). In this run I got 4.5m dpm on my paladin, so in total I did 11.2m dpm 45.

One epiphany I've come to realize is that the most important thing in horntail isn't actually maintaining your boat hp. Its actually to simply stay on the platform and fall off as little as possible.

Even if you are using rapid fire, simply attacking is all it takes to boost your dpm. As a result, I've become more aware of where my corsair currently is, and where he will be in the near future (after taking knock back from a hit). Anyways, going forward, my goal is going to be to spam horntail and do as many runs as I can and eventually hit level 200!.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    What's up legends! Back with a significant gain (though not in dpm) in skill.

upload_2020-4-9_20-48-30.png

6.2m dpm on a run with SI SE Echo and bears. Although this might not numerically be the highest number in my journal, this is the run in which my performance was the highest.

During this run, I only fell off the top ledge 2-3 times and was able to maintain my dpm. Anyways, to better illustrate how well i performed this run lets take a look at my freefire dpm.

My freefire dpm on si / se / echo and bears is currently: 11,632,197.12 dpm.

My dpm this run was 6,207,631 dpm.

If you divide the two, my ratio is now 0.5336593712, or 53.36%. I'm able to do 53.36% of my freefire dpm in horntail now! That's a big improvement from before, where I was only able to do about 50%.

So, from the start of this journal ive gone from 39.6 to 47.659% to 53.36%!

Basically, all the practice is paying off, and I'm slowly improving after each and every horntail.

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    upload_2020-4-22_20-5-19.png

DPM of 6.645m post summon changes actually showing up. This run i tried to keep the octopus up as often as i could. As for buffs we had:
    Speed infusion
    Sharp eyes
    Echo
    Time Leap (my boat was time leaped a ~2-3 times throughout the run).
    Horntail Buff (+30 attacK)
    Heart Party bear (+20 attack)
    Coke pill (+15 attack).

Because of the mix above, it's kinda hard to see where i stand in terms of % over free fire dpm.

A rough estimate assuming 26.66 average attack potion yields me doing ~55% of my freefire dpm, though I can't say its too accurate.

Nonetheless, this is definely some kind of improvement considering that the dpm is pretty high and no expensive attack potions were used.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    4:42 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
  18. WaffleWafers

WaffleWafers King Slime

Sep 2, 2017
    4:42 PM
    Thief
    WOW nice gun! How did you scroll it? 30% until +3 then finish with WS+10s?

19. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I bought it at +4, and used 31 white scrolls to finish it. I went 1/25, and then 2/6. So i consider myself lucky as this could have easily been a nightmare to finish.

• Informative Informative x 1