1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Formal Proposal] Quester's Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 30, 2020.

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

498 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes, but needs changes (specify in thread)

84 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. No

19 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    9:17 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Imagine, for a moment, a game where quests aren't just dead content past level 50. A Maple World where players of all levels can come together to experience the joys and pains (mostly pains) of questing!

I consider this proposal to be the culmination of all the discussion me and other players have had about a potential Quest Ring, brought together into a cohesive idea. It's my belief that the best way to change or add to the game is to specify exactly what you want, and so I hope to do just that. Without further ado, allow me introduce you to...

[​IMG] ~Quester's Ring~[​IMG]
    Concept Sprites for the ring (with big help from cobbagescobbages)

Table of Contents
    1. Questing: The Facts
    2. Why Quester's Ring?
    3. Proposal: Mechanics
    4. FAQ/Common Concerns
    Thread layout plagiarized from Blu301's Shadower Guide. Thx Tim! SlimeLaugh
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Questing: The Facts
    (Data from Quest Rankings as of April 29, 2020)

130,480 characters have completed at least 1 quest.

Out of those,

1,230 characters, or 1 in 106 have completed >=500 quests.
    and

123 characters, or 1 in 1,060 have completed >=900 quests.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Why Quester's Ring?
    • Many, many quests in maple are worthless content with very little reward. The addition of a meaningful purpose for this forgotten content will add to the gameplay diversity and holistic appeal of MapleLegends.
    • Similar to card hunting, it will breathe new life into forgotten and dead areas of the game.
    • The ring will further alleviate the contentious problem of HP washing by providing additional damage reduction, similar to how the Monster Book Ring provided extra HP.
    • It will give us a tangible way to show off how many quests we've suffered through. SlimeSmile

3. Proposal: Mechanics
    [​IMG]

v4.1
    My concept for an NPC. Her name? Questelle! Sprite by me. SlimeSmile
    partly inspired by Monster Hunter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parallel to Monster Book Ring, the Quester's Ring will start with no stats and have ten upgrade tiers. Every 90 quests completed will unlock another upgrade. Each upgrade will add additional stats, as follows (numbers subject to change):

First Revision
    Req. Level Clarification
    The idea behind required levels is that the quest to upgrade the ring won't unlock until the given level. EX: When you've completed 450 quests and hit level 70, only then will you be able to upgrade the ring. This is intended to achieve two things:
    1. You won't be receiving a broken amount of DEF at a low level for hardcore questing.
    2. You won't end up with a ring that you can't equip due to being too low level.

How Effective is DEF?
    For those unaware, the general rule of thumb seems to be that 2 DEF = 1 point of damage reduction. I am not sure of the exact formula, so these numbers are wholly subject to change and balance.

DEF and Damage Reduction - Through the Levels
    Here's some data I recorded by throwing my naked self at some popular training mobs. It should give a good perspective on how much DEF is appropriate at a given level:

[​IMG]

Additional Idea for Upgrades
    Requirements to upgrade the ring (ex, from Tier 1 to Tier 2), other than quest completion, could be sadistic fetch quests of their own; scouring the Maple World for obscure and rare materials (think Arwen's Glass Shoe, or Nependeath's Honey). This way, hardcore questers wouldn't be able to immediately "cash in" for free stats, plus it would add some fun and uniqueness to the concept.

4. FAQ/Common Concerns

Q: Why Weapon Defense/Magic Defense instead of HP?
    • Extra Defense will benefit ALL class types including DKs and heavily washed warriors who already hit maximum HP - meaning that everyone can benefit from questing.
    • Defense has the unique property of reducing damage taken, effectively cutting potion costs. This makes a nice and unique reward for questing.
    Q: Why no main stats? Why Accuracy/Avoidability/Speed/Jump instead?
    • This will make the ring unique in comparison to Monster Book Ring, instead of being a re-hash.
    • Fairness. When Monster Book came out, everybody started at 0 cards. However, quests have been around since the beginning and many users have completed many. It would not feel "right" if those players were immediately able to cash in for free main stats.
    Q: Why 90 quests per upgrade, amounting to 900 total for the final upgrade?
    • Any player should be able to complete 900 quests eventually, regardless of how many "missable" quests they didn't get.
    • It's the most convenient number and ties in nicely with the MB ring. Think of 3 quests as being equivalent to 1 complete card set.
    Q: Won't this be unfair to players who haven't been hardcore questing?
    • Referring to above statistics, it's clear that a very, VERY small amount of characters have completed 900 or more quests. Even the amount of characters who have completed more than 500 is very small, relatively speaking.
    • The ring will not have any main stats, just QoL and extra damage reduction.
    • Even though there was no reward at the time, questers still went through the trouble of completing many tedious quests. It's not as if they didn't earn it.
    Q: Won't this be unfair to players who missed quests?
    • Some quests in this game are missable, e.g. if you skip the quest lines on Maple Island and decide to just grind instead.
    • However, I'm 99% confident (not having done the exact math) that even if they missed every single missable quests (highly unlikely unless you're trying), a player should still be able to complete 900 total eventually.

Q: Aren't you just asking for free stats because you've already completed a lot of quests?
    • It's true, I've already completed over 900 quests on my main character. However, in making this proposal I'm far more concerned with helping new players and improving the content of MapleLegends, than I am with receiving a free reward. I want the game to be more enjoyable, and for all players to have a good reason to get questing! SlimeGrin

I'm not selfishly demanding our lovely developers to slave away at another project - If accepted, I am totally willing to help out with this content in any way possible, whether it's artwork, QA, balance, or writing, and I'm sure many others are too.

Let's make the quester's dream a reality! Feel free to share your own thoughts, criticisms, ideas, anything to further flesh out this concept. Looking forward to your feedback.
    OnionHumming

• Like x 86
    • Great Work x 44
    • Agree x 13
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    8:17 AM
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    I support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good point brought up by DOOOOOOSTOEVSKY (who's that guy anyway?). Ideally the ring's DEF/MDEF would scale more similarly to the way mobs' damage increases by level (early on they hit for tens or hundreds, then they crank up to 1k-2k+ at later levels). So here's a few ideas for fixing that:
    • The majority of the DEF could be gained in later tiers, with only small amounts early on.
    • The total number of quests required could be increased, requiring a higher character level to achieve higher tiers.
    • Suggested by Mr. Sushi, minimum levels could be enforced on the ring and its upgrade quests.
    • The total DEF of the ring could be decreased.
    Or any combination of the above. SlimeSmile

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    11:17 PM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    I agree with the discord fella. T5 onwards the stats seems somewhat high, perhaps to the point of ridiculous for lower levels.
    Also, Alcaster quest line, level 70 & 120 monster riding quest and the entirety of Temple of Time quest line has to be some of the upgrade quest requirement at some point.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Flyinpanda

Flyinpanda Brown Teddy

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Ask me in game
    Flyinpandas | Lazypanda
    Shadower
    Konoha
    I already agree with the overall idea of a quest ring, perhaps changing the values around for the stats but overall glad to see this be made into a more professional format.

6. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    I kinda like this idea, certain questlines being required in order to advance/upgrade. Has potential.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Blueberry

Blueberry Pink Teddy

Apr 2, 2017
    Male
    Israel
    6:17 PM
    Danix
    Beginner
    I support this idea. It's a great way of rewarding the players that chose the questing route instead of the training/leeching. Also the ring picture looks nice and I loved the quest npc idea.
    I'm playing most of the time with a beginner so this ring will help a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    11:17 PM
    Crusader
    Looks like a great idea to me. But yes, as the discord guy has pointed out, it's possible for lower level characters to benefit immensely from the high defence boosts.

I like the idea of locking upgrades behind certain questlines too.

9. vizz

vizz Blue Snail

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    5:17 PM
    Cheater
    Bishop
    +1 from me. I always wanted to start questing, but always found a better thing to do. With that I would have the perfect reason to do so!

10. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    11:17 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    +1 for this, I don't really care what the stats are or # of quests for each tier, I just want a quest ring!

EDIT: confused about the disagree since you seemed to agree in the post above me?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. flashblaize

flashblaize Chronos

Feb 25, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    promisQ
    F/P Arch Mage
  12. TonyDaquore

TonyDaquore Orange Mushroom

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    TonyDaquore
    Marksman
    DutchLegends
    Would be awesome. Also the sadistic fetch quests to upgrade the ring and certain high-level questline requirements to upgrade sound like a good idea to me. Otherwise it was pretty simple for me to get a huge def upgrade in the mid-80ies xD

13. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    9:02 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Too much Defence speed and accuracy!~

14. cobbages

cobbages Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Dec 11, 2019
    Male
    Maple Island
    11:17 AM
    Clearing
    Bandit
    None
    Oddly my favorite part, aside from the ingenuity of this, is Questelle...lurvmush
    [​IMG]

OnionDead

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    4:17 PM
    The Defense stat boosts are extremely high. Maybe lower them to 300 at max or something. Maybe boost the accuracy as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Danny

Danny Slimy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    6:17 PM
    ZerkMania
    Dark Knight
    Active
    I support this ❤

17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I don’t quite see how moobs point on defense too high at lower levels is op at gs2 when clerics get to afk heal on the platform without ever taking damage or use mana potions until late 7x.

anyways If this is a legitimate concern , I think just adding a level requirement to the ring is the cleanest solution. Just have the level requirement be like 120 or something

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    12:17 PM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    Absolutely loved the idea! Nice work!

19. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    9:02 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    120 requirement is too high as the stats are most useful to lower levels who are grinding.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1