1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage on Maple Island

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Salt, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    12:47 AM
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Hello, I would like to suggest adding a storage NPC to Maple Island.

22462.png

Why tho?
    I've been asked plenty of times and also seen messages in discord etc asking for int gear on Maple Island to start washing early. This would help those people out even tho washing from 1-10 doesn't have a large impact. Right now some people do have access to int on Maple Island due to smuggled items. Almost every event islanders have in some way had access to enter free market etc. Is this allowed? no one really knows since it's not "ruining" the game or having an impact on normal players except for islanders.

The game has come far from what it was in 2015, and Maple Island has also changed. Back in the early days everyone basically had the same items and "speed" which is the most valueable stat on Maple Island was hard to come by. Now most old islanders have close to/max speed and new islanders that wants to join this community/server as a whole don't have access to items that would help them on their journey.

Storage on Maple Island would also help to silence the non-stop suggestions by islanders. The relationship at least in the past between GMs and islanders has been rocky due to complaints/suggestions and simply from passion. We all love the game and want everyone to have a good time and the same opportunities.

Let me know what you guys think, and as an Legends islander since 2015 I just wanna say that I love this community and hope you all have a great 2021.

• Agree Agree x 25
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    7:47 PM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    This looks familiar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JOmVIe

JOmVIe Blue Snail

Sep 3, 2017
    Male
    7:47 AM
    JOmVIe
    Islander
    Southperry
    :tick:

:tick:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I don't know if I am the odd one out but as a newer Islander, I am fine with the items I already have in the game. I have no desire for smuggled items or int gears. Although some more speed would be nice, it isn't needed for me to enjoy my islander experience because I do it for absent minded killing from a relaxation/therapeutic point of view. I like not having to worry about getting the "best" gear, or how much mesos I have. I like not having the connection to everything which is why I made an islander instead of a permabeginner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Yeah, not everyone care for items etc and enjoy the game for what it is and in many different ways. But for new islanders to have zero ways of getting old items is simply not fair. It seems that newer events push islanders towards cosmetic items/Cash shop items which gives no benefit other than looks for new islanders. I respect you for having a different opinion but do you think things are fair as it is now?

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I agree with adding a Storage to Maple Island.
    Even if I'm a casual islander, I don't play it much enough, I would love throwing random items to my islander, such as better throwing stars, better luk gear or in general more weapons for fun.

Very true, as I've deleted 2 islanders I found myself lacking in the speed compartment especially given the fact some items are really hard to farm / get anymore if not trading with older generation islanders.

I would say the impact is slight, like at max a +80/+100 MP (80/100int gear lmao lvl 0 or lvl 5) in lvl 2 to 10, which ain't bad, ngl, but even then not that much (0 to 2 washes)

Can be said the same about events, there are times we have to spam this forum 24/7 to get Event NPCs... by giving us storage you will basically fix the problem, we just gonna use our outlanders and farm them to later on storage to our islanders. Problem fixed.

One thing I'd love to see is the possibility of gaining gacha items on my islander, weapons that wouldn't normally be found there, heck a fan, guan yu polearm or liu bei dagger or such... just adds more fun weapons to the mix.
    Equipment wise it would still be lacking (if not for all class gear)
    Mesos aint important on island anyway so yeah, no need to even care about it on island – but it can be helpful to use the mesos farmed from 24/7 mushrooms genocide – so that I can buy some 30% scrolls for my shoes .(man if I ever get lucky to get a +2 30% lmao)

Another interesting factor is making it possible to storage the chairs... heck chair at pigs is a good pass time.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Won't this let people get items on island that shouldn't be there? Or is that exactly what you as islander don't mind anymore (similar as MTS era)?

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Yes, items that don't belong on Maple Island has been there since 2016 or maybe earlier, people smega "Selling ints/leech service on maple island" Some new guildless islanders I spot are using "Bathrobe" etc. Smuggling has always been a thing on Legends and to make things fair to new islanders I believe storage would help for those that don't have access to smuggled items or old event items.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Personally yes I think it is fair as far as who has access to items and who doesn't. I do agree that the events lately completely give the shaft to islanders, but I feel like this is an event design problem and allowing trade from off island isn't the fix.

I feel like the events should have ways to include islanders, even if they have to be given a completely different event. I personally feel that the staff do not want to edit the events only for islanders in mind. I can hear the argument of "the islander community is small and/or dead" but my counterargument is why would you play your islander during an event when it can't benefit at all vs your other characters who can? Part of the diminished islander population is cause by being forgotten or overlooked each event.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Agreed -- although we've always told that if you spot anyone with smuggled items to report it to us. I do agree we don't do this manually simply because it's a tedious job to do. This is a major change for islanders though, so I suggest gather up all the major islanders to ask them if they agree or don't agree with it, and than post here. Do note though that even though they all agree it doesn't specially mean yet we will - but it's a start.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Yeah, smugglers used to get reported to get their items removed but after a while many islanders stopped reporting them due to it just annoying staff members/putting more work on staff. It's better to embrace it and accept that Maple Island isn't the same as back in 2015. Thank you for replying, it's nice to see that staff might be willing to implement this with enough support from the community. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I'd guess we'll need to do a poll or something regarding this for islanders.

Didn't know this was a thing, but anyways, I felt like the smuggling was more of a fun test over the events that were given access to islanders (as to showcase some smuggling meta was found during an event)

Reason being that, during the last 2ish years islanders got less and less participation in events based on the problem of smuggling and possibilities of getting exp in non-island meta ways (such as killing snowman for high xp gains)
    It produces stress on the editors side for putting NPCs on island and to edit their possibilities for the event... and if no feature is added for the event, we islanders normally spammed at least 2-3 forum threads to get event NPCs or some sort of event feature added for island.

By just giving us storage most event related items wouldn't be important anymore, as we can farm them with offlanders to then trade in

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JOmVIe

JOmVIe Blue Snail

Sep 3, 2017
    Male
    7:47 AM
    JOmVIe
    Islander
    Southperry
    Birdmandala a passionate islander agrees to the storage!
    and why not just throw in a gacha as well *wink* *wink*
    besides since we have storage, the hypocrisy of the Gacha will cease

This will create a whole new era of islanders and attract more people to play islanders! and further expand the maplelegends community

We are the front-liners and we are here to give any new-comers to the server a wholesome experience to maplelegends!

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Just add storage, make an offlander and use those gacha tickets man
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I guess I am just weird since I like things the way they are. Allowing off-islander items would ruin the islander experience for me personally so if this change were to take effect I would probably just delete the character, since I have 4 characters on that account already. Or maybe turn it into a warrior or something.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Lowly

Lowly Mano

Jan 6, 2021
    6:47 PM
    Beginner
    Hello! I would like to get this out of the way to begin with. I have NOT played legends so I can't talk to the meta of Legends too well. I was asked by a couple of Legend Islanders to give some input as another "popular" server that I play in just had illegals purged from Island.

A Tl;dr of events on other server. Players were caught with illegal items, players were reported, GM's voted to take all items off island.

Now that's a very simplistic overview of the events, but what has happened since is the players that had items do not play actively anymore including myself. There is maybe 1 POSSIBLY 2 players who actively play island anymore on said server. Majority of the islanders in the discords that encompass many servers do not care about the "smuggled" items and would rather have a proper storage or gach source as a way to get items over.

It seems in Legends from what I have seen after talking with several of their players is there is event items that have been unobtainable in recent years. Claw meta is a thing for the older islanders that the new players have no ability to partake in. Additional items being able to be obtained on island is a motivator for grinding / activity. While this is a fairly niche playstyle the community is very proud and more active than people think. It goes beyond the game now with discord servers. If Legends were to add a source to obtain items over on island without "smuggled" means it would also entice others, like myself, to play this server.

We had means of getting whatever we wanted on the official Maplestory server and they never catered to islanders and to the Purists who want Island to be a vanilla little safe area there is nobody forcing anybody to partake in said items. It's just adding another branch to an already niche playstyle. Grind motivation is an extremely real thing and when players have something to work for then they put more time in and are proud of their accomplishments.

Anywho, that's my two cents from the players that contacted me to respond.

From a parallel Island,
    Lowly

• Like Like x 3
  18. sheepes

sheepes Mushmom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    4:47 PM
    sheepes
    Chief Bandit
    The thing is.. off island items are already on the island through smuggling. By adding a storage keeper it gives an even playing ground for those who don’t smuggle. You can still play and enjoy your Islander without off island items!

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    To me, the people who smuggled should have been reported. I don't feel like I am bothering staff by reporting those who break ToS. But it ruins the islander feel to me. Like it is discredited. I don't see the purpose of transferring a higher level weapon when I can already 1shot everything.

Its just a personal opinion, if anyone can access stuff without problem the value of the work and limited resources used as an islander goes down and becomes less appealing. I like being locked on the island in all ways and do not cheat to get around it. Allowing it will kill the experience for me and I would not continue as an islander. Its just my preference.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Most islanders aren't dumb enough to smuggle items that were never available. They smuggle things that they couldn't obtain due to RNG in an event, better stats of an item they already had, or 30% of an item that would normally be scrolled with 10%'s. This has been left unchecked since late 2017 because most islanders don't report it and would rather there not have been smuggle methods to begin with.

A lot of unlegit event items have been distributed to new islanders over the years that don't even know they were smuggled.

A lot of islanders want past items that they missed & haven't come back or want new items. The issue is it is unrealistic that we be included in every single event & just creates extra work that would impact at max 10 players and for every item in the past be implemented moving forward.

I would love for items to be rewarded through grinding through a custom gachapon/quest BUT, the storage suggestion is simply the EASIEST way to fix the current issue we have that doesn't rely on constant suggestions be made afterwards.

Even if you don't know how to smuggle, you can literally log on and find people smegaing that they are selling smuggled items to islanders. (Sorry to put you on blast whomever this is)

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.