1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Making towns / Henesys more alive

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kimmy, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:15 PM
    Moderator Post
    Hey all,

Something we still get criticism on a lot, especially from new users, is how early towns such as Henesys are much less alive compared to 'other servers'.

The cause is pretty obvious with not much thinking - the FM / Market button.

Now before you panic: I have no considerations right now in removing the Free Market button. However, I am interested in ideas that make towns feel more alive, so the server looks more attractive for new users.

One thing I have seen quite effective is when we had event NPC's in Henesys. Much more users were seen during those times. However, as you expect, it was only temporary during event periods.

Henesys is an absolute nostalgic place meeting new users, and it's a shame it's not very alive, if alive at all in MapleLegends.

In this thread, you can leave feedback on what you believe could maybe increase activity in earlier towns, such as Henesys.

There's one personal idea I already have that hopefully, we could work on after the Anniversary Event that could definitely feel towns more alive. However, due to the work required, I cannot say it at this point right now.

Do note this is just a thread on things I personally believe could be improved compared to other servers but is definitely not a top priority by itself.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    8:15 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I do know you would dislike this idea but I should suggest.

Dice roll gamble NPC in henesys please.

• Creative Creative x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  3. JDPJHC

JDPJHC Mixed Golem

Aug 6, 2017
    7:15 AM
    JDPJHC
    Hero
    Summer
    This could be quite interesting. At least you wouldnt lose your mesos to another player. It would also get rid of a lot of idiot rollers who wouldnt be able to get their mesos back kekW

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chibisannub

chibisannub King Slime

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    indubitably, MlKE, PenIsland, cumcum
    Unworthy
    i never have any good ideas but id just like to say i would do anything to have maya's house bumpin like the good ol days

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Romel

Romel Stone Golem

Jul 10, 2018
    Male
    6:15 AM
    oXLuffyXo
    Buccaneer
    Yonkou
    tomatina event

• Like Like x 2
  6. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Nope. my intention was, NPC which deals with player-vs-player dice roll so can prevent roll scam + make henesys much more alive.

side effect can be expected is, wouldn't be nostalgic for newcomers tho ...

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Player vs player gamble NPC needs a lot of work, and could be risky when it comes to edge cases (potential exploits, etc). Also, I am not sure if I would like to move the gamble community from FM 1 to Henesys. It would definitely make things feel more alive, but is it better?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ovencake

Ovencake Blue Snail

Apr 1, 2021
    Ovencake
    Beginner
    This would be a minor issue, but I had an opinion as a new player for this server. I'm actually quite surprised that a lot of the people on this server didn't know about or didn't play Henesys party. quest. It is a helpful party quest for level 10-20 players, and it's also pretty worthy of being some kind of nostalgia for playing because some people who I played with remembered and really enjoyed it a lot. Again, this is not a solution to solving the prime problem, but something you can assume. I highly recommend adding some Party Quest guidelines for new players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. naice

naice Slime

Feb 7, 2019
    Male
    shopify
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Some sort of daily quest that rewards a small amount of vote NX in exchange for staying logged on for 1 H? Or some variant targeted directly at increasing the user count in towns.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. aaronparkerr

aaronparkerr Snail

Aug 13, 2017
    Male
    Chief Bandit
    This may sound really dumb, but perhaps allow players to open up shops in Henesys Market? (probably the market that allows you stay AFK there as a single person instead of the mushroom house merchant girl to avoid cluttering)

It would fit the theme of it being a market where merchants sell their stuff there.

And it would also divert the competitiveness for FM spots, allowing more players to have opportunities to sell their goods at a place that more people would go to instead of FM1-13.

And obviously it would make more players concentrate around Henesys as they would shop at Henesys market as well in addition to the FM, making Henesys feel much more alive.

The only downsides I imagine is cluttering and that players have to move to Henesys Market to see the hubbub instead of being at the Henesys map

This idea is kinda weird so idk

• Creative Creative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Whenever Kimmy or another GM afks in the FM, people always flock around them, either to afk themselves or take screenshots with their chairs, poses, etc.
    Seems to me the easiest thing that can be done is to get Kimmy/GMs to afk in henesys channel 1 instead

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Town bosses that do no damage + players do fixed damage of 10. Boss spawns at some variable amount of time in one of the Victoria Island towns with the drop being an etc coin of some sorts.

Create a seasonal coin shop to use the coins in. Can offer consumables, ap resets, etc year round. Additionally have a sub category of seasonal items that get exchanged throughout summer, autumn, winter, spring. In the seasonal sub categories can include past nx, chairs, & pets that may not be included in the upcoming regular events. Have seasonal hair/eye coupons that bring back older event hair/eyes.

As I'm writing this I think that the point system from the Christmas event would work better than a droppable etc where you have a max amount of points you can get. Make the CD weekly/monthly instead of daily so it doesn't become a huge daily chore to participate in. Create a high level requirement (like 150) for items that hold a chunk of value to avoid muling.

• Creative x 22
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Great Work x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  13. Tony Wu

Tony Wu Red Snail

Mar 11, 2020
    4:15 AM
    You need incentives to compete against the convenience of afking in FM. I suggest granting certain buffs for sitting in towns like attack buffs or exp buff. Maybe the duration of the buff can scale with how long you sit in the town.

Edit: You can also make town quests more relevant, so more players will do the quests and increase traffic to the towns.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Almighty404

Almighty404 Red Snail

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    10:15 PM
    Maybe we should poll the continuation and dissolution of the FM button... Obviously it does make it easier to get to FM, but like Kimmy said, it seems to be the leading cause of un-population in some towns, do we really NEED it? It would make other towns like Perion more lively too. Personally, I think it is a bit of a crutch.

Maybe instead it can warp players to the barren Henesys Game Park for some social interaction, Omok, and Match Cards, PQ Requesting, et cetera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Chris's idea is straight up great and I would LOVE it.

My suggestion would be to add some mini-games or something interesting to do into henesys that would make people want to be there? Something that players can start without GM help.

Another thing would be to make regular pqs able to be accessed by 1 NPC in henesys. Plus side: more people in henesys, easier to find parties because everyone at the same spot. Downside: not nostalgic, new players might not know to go there instead of regular pq location.

Make some buffs go off in henesys every x amount of time. Not the level of GM buffs but something smaller.

• Like Like x 6
  16. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    10:15 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    You could put a teleporter in Henesys or other Vic towns that let you skip boat rides & the travel wait. Maybe even give each town exclusive teleports to different areas, if you want to make them all more active.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  17. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Already done in Royals with the 'Lounge' button. Completely fails/is dead because people are also in the FM for merching/merchant reasons, and a warp to only a social place is from what I observed not popular.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  18. qilin

qilin Snail

Jan 13, 2021
    Bishop
    I've never played any other MS Private servers so I'm not sure what's possible in terms of scripting/events, but in another game there was a really neat "quiz" npc, that would at regular intervals change its sprite to a random monster, and the first person to type the name gets a very minor reward. Perhaps the same could be done by talking to the NPC and entering in a prompt instead?

Basically any kind of automated "event" on a regular basis which people can just hang out and participate at their leisure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Tony Wu

Tony Wu Red Snail

Mar 11, 2020
    4:15 AM
    The FM button is an improvement to the game and should not be removed. The button is the easiest way to meet up with someone for trading and hanging out. The button provides utility like granting echo buffs and changing channels in Zak alter.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    To add onto a more unique reward that hasn't been done before exactly. I remember Navi saying he'd prefer if GM buffs only gave a single buff rather than all 4, so having the buffs in singular form can also be a reward as they could hold value individually. HS would be good no matter what, haste can be useful when leveling new characters that have no speed/mobility, bless good all around but can help the heavy washers do 2nd/3rd job adv with the acc buff it gives, & I know the perma beginners utilize GM HB do run certain bosses.

• Like Like x 2