1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Making towns / Henesys more alive

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kimmy, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Aurum

Aurum King Slime

Nov 3, 2019
    Male
    9:44 AM
    Aduro
    F/P Wizard
    Here's an idea I've thought about (though I'm not sure this has already been suggested; I have not read all the preceding posts, therefore I apologize if someone has already proposed this).

The FM entrance is a universal area of gathering most likely, I think, purely because of convenience. With the click of a "Market" button, it can literally be accessed virtually anywhere and in any continent of the game's world. It also allows immediate access to the Maple economy and to a significant source of income.

Historically (long before the emergence of private servers), Henesys has been considered the "social centre" of the game where players come to relax and converse with each other after a long day of work. As a server priding itself on nostalgia, I can appreciate the urge to revive Henesys to the historical "social centre". However, the small population, coupled with the customized "Market" button intervention on this, as well as many other, private severs has made the function of Henesys as a "social centre" obsolete.

If the goal is to revive Henesys as the nostalgic "social centre" of this server, then I think the solution forward would be to make access to Henesys (and subsequent access its peripheral areas, which I herein define to include: Henesys Park, Henesys Market, Henesys Game Park, Bowman Instructional School, Maya's House, etc.) more convenient, rather than equally convenient, than access to the Free Market.

Why not make Henesys equally as convenient as the Free Market Entrance (by e.g., adding a "Henesys" button)?
    If access to the Free Market and Henesys (and especially including its peripheral areas, as stated above) were equally as convenient to access, then I potentially foresee that the Free Market Entrance will continue to dominate as the "social centre". Consider this:

Benefits of Free Market Button (with a newly added "Henesys" button):
    • Immediate access to the contemporary "social centre" (Free Market Entrance), which is likely resistant to change under this circumstance
    • Immediate access to the Maple economy and to a major source of income
    Costs of Free Market Button (with a newly added "Henesys" button):
    • The click of a button
    • Less subjectively vibrant peripheral areas compared to those of Henesys
      • Note: The Free Markets 1-22 could be considered "peripheral areas", however I would argue that they are not on par with the peripheral areas of Henesys because of the subjective lack of vibrancy compared to those of Henesys' and the fact that the placement of shops impede spaces for social congregation.
        • On the flip side, one could counterargue: "You can just change channels to an empty market." This is true, and sometimes done.
    Benefits of a Henesys Button (with the historical "Market" button):
    • Immediate access to a historical "social centre", which is unlikely to populate for this server's historical grounding with the "Market" button.
    • More subjectively and nostalgically vibrant peripheral areas
    Costs of a Henesys Button (with the historical "Market" button):
    • The click of a button
    • Access to a "social centre" with multiple vibrant peripheral areas => decreases likelihood of players congregating in a single map => decreases sociality of players
    • More inconvenient access to the Maple economy and to a major source of income

After examining the net effects of (benefits - costs) outlined above, it is apparent that the Free Market may continue to dominate as a "social centre".

Therefore, I propose some of the following implementations moving forward (which need not all occur for the above goal to be attained) (EDITED, thanks to Cak33):
    • The click of the "Market" button would instantly transport the player to Henesys, rather than the Free Market Entrance (thereby making access to Henesys more convenient than access to the Free Market Entrance)
      • At this point, there may be a need to change the name from "Market" button to "Henesys" button
      • Players will be forced to go through Henesys to get to the FM Entrance
    • Upon leaving Henesys, players will be transported back to their previous map should these maps not be the natural maps that surround Henesys (e.g., Henesys Hunting Ground, etc.)
    • Should a player access Henesys through the button, they are restricted from:
      • Access to Amoria (prevents convenient intercontinental travel to NLC via NLC scroll)
      • Using Victoria Island town return scrolls (e.g., Ellinia return scroll; prevents convenient intercontinental travel)
      • Access to naturally surrounding areas of Henesys (e.g., HHG1, Entrance to the Dungeon, etc.)
      • In other words, the player must literally travel to Henesys to gain access to the above areas!
    • The seasonal thematic updates (for Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day, etc.) would occur on Henesys maps, rather than the Free Market Entrance (thereby making the map subjectively vibrant, updated, and aesthetically pleasing)
    • To force social congregation to Henesys, access to the individual Free Market Rooms 1-22 would bypass the Free Market Entrance and the Free Market Entrance would be eliminated.
      • Similar to the contemporary servers, upon pressing up on the Free Market portal from Henesys Market, players can select which room to enter (analogous to switching channels)
      • OR Alternatively, the Free Market Entrance map could be merged, in a customized fashion, with Henesys Market, giving more convenient access to Rooms 1-22.
    Wow. I didn't intend this to be as long as it is, but please feel free to critique what I have said! Thank you. :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    9:44 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Might wanna consider using a 'mirror-dimension' henesy for this. If not i believe users can press the henesy button, use some vic town scrolls, and easily get a free VIP rock back to victoria island

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Avro

Avro Mano

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Avro
    Bowmaster
    This might be a ridiculous suggestion, but maybe it'll help with the direction of the update.

Costume room.

People went to Henesys to be henehoes. You could go to Henesys and get some temporary cosmetics that rotate daily/weekly/montly, or funny Mob transform "Buff" etc. Even the Henesys boss spawns people are suggesting, could only be defeated with the "costume room" weapons. The costume room could be in Maya's house, as that used to be THE spot to hang out. This solution gives more casual players the tools to just have fun being a snail, wearing a unique hat or having a temporary facial expression, while giving "hardcore" players a reason to stop by Maya's to defeat the boss that might be roaming around the town. The boss should give somewhat useful items, sort of like a GM event trophy.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
  4. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    2:44 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    I like some suggestions I see in here. The idea to make Henesys more active is to stimulate the social aspect of hene-hoeing. Anything that promotes gameplay in other areas (buffs) would not work very well to populate henesys more. These would just cause people to stay in henesys until they get their benefit and then move on. It would stimulate AFK-ing. Instead, focus on fun benefits of hanging around in henesys. Transformation potions, temporal cosmetics (while in henesys, maybe have a change costume in henesys? like a specific NX/cosmetic outfit for henesys that changes every day or every week that is only appearance, so you don't get to keep it after you leave henesys), gambling (although...), show-off (leaderboards, target dummy for damage).

Additionally, could make the Henesys air background more dynamic to include flying objects (just like in Ludibrium) but make them occur infrequently (once every x minutes) and change em up. That might add to the magic of sitting in one place, chilling, and then seeing something happen/fly by.

And I still stand by my earlier idea of message-questline that changes every day with a simple repeatable reward (once a day). Wouldn't mind to help with flushing that out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. maxreber

maxreber Horny Mushroom

Apr 20, 2020
    Male
    8:44 AM
    Pipp
    Dark Knight
    I agree with what others are saying about maybe having a minor buff that happens when you spend time in a Victoria Island town. the buff could be framed as Support from the Village or something, like the town is actually aiding you in your journey. I'm thinking different spots in the towns could generate different buffs. Maybe Maya's house from spending 10 minutes there gives you 1 hour haste, and similarly the potion shop could generate bless or holy shield. Maybe the bowman job advancement room could generate Sharp Eyes for 30 minutes. I also feel like this would help the ML community less reliant on mules for every single buff in the game, but it wouldn't be so overpowered and diminish the hard work ppl do if they do want to make mules because of the time aspect of needing to wait for the buff by spending time there. Or each town could have its own buff, perion hb or even a smaller buff like iron will. kerning haste. henesys sharp eyes. ellinia bless. naut SI.

There could also be a unique NPC in each town that gives a buff to the map if 10 players are present. So you could invite your friends to, lets say Lith Harbor, to interact with the npc to generate some sort of minor buff for the party or map as a whole, something not TOO minor but substantial enough to get players to do it.

I feel like Henesys is so far away from the rest of the maple world to make it easily accessible, maybe the valentines rope in hunting grounds could connect somewhere farther, like the portal to Leafre in Ellinia. Obviously that could hurt the traveling aspect of the game, so IDK.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    BUG CATCHER (event/all year round).
    "Sit on a bug catching chair in Henesys with your different nets (nets purchased via NPC/ mob drop) and receive random rewards such as: Meso, NX (very low rate %) and bugs caught (etc, exchange w cody or a new bug npc for random/specific rewards)."

So i got the idea from our Fishing event from the past, seeing how fm was super packed with people fishing n chatting there after their long grind. Just like the fishing event but maybe sit on a chair with a net to catch bugs and this time round. I feel like this event is small but impactful in a positive manner, facilitating more players to gather, sit and chill/chat. It won't change the nostalgia of henesys much as compared to having a daily quest (which is annoying and a daily chore to life) or a mini boss segment. As for the rewards list, maybe more discussion could help navigate an appropriate rewards list.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Cusp

Cusp Blue Snail

May 22, 2020
    Male
    1:44 PM
    Beginner
    That's basically a dumbed down version of Mu Lung Dojo isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rehab

Rehab Mushmom

Dec 21, 2016
    Male
    Perma Boss Party Quest in Henesys

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Nekokoro

Nekokoro King Slime

Apr 6, 2021
    Female
    CC1 FM18
    Nekokoro
    Bishop
    Gang Gang
    Okay hear me out... I love questing and I believe it is an integral part of MapleStory.
    While playing I noticed some people choose not to engage with quests as they might seem useless and not "optimal" I think it would be a welcomed change if we could improve this experience.
    I understand and like the preservation of the nostalgic feel that Legends has so this suggestion is made with the intent of not removing anything and adding a new layer for the player to engage with the town and NPCs more.

*drum roll* My suggestion is the following: *drum roll*

1- Add a NPC that gives you a ring like the monster book ring which gets better with more quests you've done, this will make people gravitate more to towns in order to get quests, help each other to grind for ETCs and just party together to get a long quest done. It could be a ring, necklace or accesory that scales with the number of quests you've done. (this would also directly help improve people's Monster ring making it even more appealing!!! MapleF11)

2- Give a small buff of 20 speed in towns, so slow classes warmush can get to npcs a little bit faster but not making haste and other abilities less useful overall. The buff of course is gone after leaving town.

3- And as the cherry on top, the NPC should be located in Henesys blushmush in order to add more incentive to visit my poor Maya MapleF4.

This addition, does not remove any features, adds a new incentive for people to meet in henesys and makes ALL the towns more lively thanks to questing. Additionally it is very difficult to exploit as the accesory should be untradable and one of a kind.
    I would love to see this implemented and I believe it would make the game and quests more engaging. >:)
    PS: if you choose me as your leader I will make map selling illegal and change mesos to a currency based on cat memes OnionGirlWink

• Creative Creative x 2
  10. HouseAuburn

HouseAuburn Capt. Latanica

Aug 11, 2020
    Male
    Henesys
    I really like the idea in bold above. Kimmy, you said you wanted to get a way for more people to earn NX in-game without voting. This might be the perfect opportunity. To expand on this idea, my proposal is to give players 2~3 NX every minute they're in a town and sitting on a chair or bench. The exact rate, and what interval, can be determined by staff discussion prior to implementation.

To not discourage moving around though, I'd try to make the interval as small as possible. 1 NX/30 seconds could even be feasible. What I wouldn't want to see are characters as motionless as possible to maximize NX gain. That doesn't solve the core problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    2:44 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    What if we make Manon spawn at Henesys? I bet we will get more ppl AFK there doing the ever-so-fun and challenging HT quest. If that's the goal, getting more AFK ppl on the map.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    12:44 AM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    I really like the idea of a new feature involving cosmetics, it seems nice and unobtrusive and optional. Another idea that you could do would be to have a room where you could try out all the hairs and faces available in maple. I think there's already some program or website where you can do that (not sure about that) but it would be really convenient if it was a feature in game.
    It might also be more fun if other people can go in with you and see what you're trying on, and more useful if you could see all the facial expressions with the different faces, but these features could be more difficult to make.
    If a room like this was located in Henesys it might help make it a little more populated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    6:44 AM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    In the new iteration of Ragnarok Online, you can gain what’s called “music time”. There is a phonograph in some non combat areas that any player can buy and load records into, which grants what amounts to a 20% exp and money gain buff in a particular day after staying nearby the phonograph for 30 minutes. Should a similar system be added to ML? It’s not really authentic, and people would be less inclined to PQ because of exp buffs. But at the same time, it could link the social and grinding experience of MapleStory, and make people less reliant on mules for powerful buffs like Holy Symbol or Meso Up.

14. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    I thought you can only access pet park from heneyse? You can access it from other town too?

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. HeckNoJam

HeckNoJam Red Snail

Jan 21, 2021
    Male
    8:44 AM
    HeckNoJam
    Dragon Knight
    Maybe have the mini-boss challenge (Like the Dojo challenge) through the cat agent guy permanent in Henesys? It was always cool to see a whole range of leveled players challenging bosses.
    Dojo was so cool and fun back in GMS.

• Like Like x 2
  16. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    You're correct, Pet Park is only from Henesys atm.

It would be nice to be able to have access to Pet Park from other places (Maple Island), since it's only currently used for the Three Pet Quest/Water of Life anyways.

17. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    2:44 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    You mean the quest ring? https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/formal-proposal-questers-ring.29962/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. sheepes

sheepes Mushmom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    sheepes
    Chief Bandit
    How about moving Monique, the style saver to Henesys?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Nekokoro

Nekokoro King Slime

Apr 6, 2021
    Female
    CC1 FM18
    Nekokoro
    Bishop
    Gang Gang
  20. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    12:44 AM
    I'm going to deviate from the current discussion.

While I believe adding more features to the existing game could probably help activity within the town itself, I feel if improvements were made to the maps surrounding the area, that might incentivise users and improve their wish in wanting to play and subsequently consider staying in Henesys.

For example, making QOL improvements such as adding Pig's Head and Omok Piece: Pig to drop from Ribbon Pigs. It might help those already playing to gather the necessary amount of items to complete Omok Sets.

From personal experience, I enjoyed playing in maps like "The Hill West of Henesys" as an archer. Gathering tree branches and stiff feathers from Stumps and Ribbon Pigs respectively and turning them into Vicious to create arrows reduced spending. Furthermore, because the map is suitable for training, I also think further improvements can be made to the map. For example, reducing mob diversity — eg. red snail and blue snail. In short, transforming it so it can be opened as an training alternative to the mini-dungeon (at the east of Henesys).

To extend on what Vicious can currently do, there is potential for changes to be sought after within the crafting system. But from what I've shared, this might only support lower-levelled players. For higher-levelled players, similar changes to incentivise play for other maps within and/or outside Henesys, such as the Pig Park and/or Golem Temple, might improve activity within the town. There's no guarantee, but I think it's worth considering.

• Like Like x 2