1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix merchant price scamming

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by yurain, Mar 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    5:27 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Recently there has been an increase in scam attempts on the FM involving selling of Power Elixir. The seller try to price 1PE to those of 100PE stacks, and mix them randomly in the merchant. Buyers often just quickly click down the list and end up buying PE at 100x the "normal" price, assuming that it is a stack of 100. It is true that we as a buyer/seller should take extra note when trading and accept the loss when we are careless. But what we are seeing here are active attempts, trying to scam people into buying over priced items.

Also after talking to some players, the GMs are not able to concrete action to stop such merchants being put up despite numerous @gm reports. I think we need to improve the TOS to give the GMs a tool to thoroughly stamp out out such obvious and blatant ill-intented behaviour from the game. I suggest to improve the TOS clause 3.2.1 to include this loophole. In addition, we might want to have a lower major abuse threshold for this offence, since such merchant are normally setup on a mule account thus account ban would serve no punishment at all.

Other than a TOS change (because bleh, ban hammer). I also suggest a possible client edit by making "1 for X" item display a different colour from "n for X". Both of them are the same colour now. This also can help the players to safeguard against such scams

Edit:
    Some suggested to just remove the option to sell a bundle of items. I think this is a pretty good and simple idea, added here for visibility. Maybe just hardcode the quality input in the client to 1 or something.

Below are some screenshots that I got from discord today wrt to such merchant behaviour.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2022-3-7_21-21-45.png
    upload_2022-3-7_21-22-0.png

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    2:27 AM
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I've seen this also happen with regular Elixirs.. even simple etc items too.

3. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:27 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    We do try to actually check if a person is using obvious mule accounts with malicious intent and the punishment will then be delivered to their main account. No guarantees we are always able to properly track this however.

As for your example screenshots, the first image is very clearly person trying to deceive people using bundles and non bundled power elixirs mixed together.
    Punishment was also given.

The other case where every single item is priced the same we generally don't act on as it will be harder to decide where to draw the line, are people no longer allowed to heavily overprice any items? There is much less deception going on and it'll be a lot harder for us to judge each of those cases individually. When is it done out of ill intent or not?

While I fully agree that no one wants to see the Free-Market being used as a place to scam people, rules against this still need to be enforceable for staff.
    Buyers and sellers should both be cautious when using the free-market to not buy things that are overpriced or sell their own stuff for millions less than intended.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I feel like bundled items should have an entirely different text color to non-bundled so its easier to see, its also distressing to see that people would have the audacity to even consider doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    5:27 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    I just suggested that directly wrt to the clause 3.2.1 since it only suggest an account ban mostly. I appreciate and understand that GM actually do try their best to track down abusers from mules.

Yes. The screenshots aren't really that clear, other than the first one. I just grabbed them all from this discord because there was a discussion on this PE thing today. There are multiple players expressed concerns on such ill behaviour in the FM right now so I just decided to port them onto the forum for a more "logged" discussion.

The screenshots aren't the best, but I do hope to deliever the idea across. If the GMs decide to issue any statement on such merchanting behavious, the players then can capture higher quality screenshot (like the first) and report it accordingly.

6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Oh absolutely and we fully agree that we don't want such ill behavior in the FM.
    I tried to differentiate the two cases and explain why one gets punished right away (first image) and the other might not at all (second image).

If there's any ideas how other cases should be handled while also thinking about the grand scheme of things such as the ability to really determine if something is done with ill intent.

Here's another example of someone deceiving people in the Free-Market that we deem as scamming and will be punished.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you for sharing the concerns, hope our side of it is also understood.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just do what a normal bank would do and freeze the assets in that account.

IMO, there should be an extension or a ToS guide on things people should be reporting like this with clear cut examples. The more aware the general population are about things like scamming, RWTing, etc. - and a step further, being aware enough to the point they are actively policing as well - the less power these scammers have in this server.

Instead of just putting up a list of rules, teach people to be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    We should just instead remove the ability to sell items in a bundle. Staff has already added commas and changed the color of the text depending on # of digits. There is only so much we can do to prevent stupid carelessness.

Another safeguard is to not carry more than 5m on the character you are buying these consumables on, (put the rest of your mesos in storage).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    5:27 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    +1, it's confusing, I still don't know how to read it when looking at an Owl

10. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I notice this sometimes when buying PEs.. very obnoxious, hope something can be done about it soon SlimePolice

11. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I don't think hell/shadow banning (removing the power to trade or use merchants/storage) should be a thing because like most things I've seen in this server people don't learn from observations of other ban notifications from in-game there would be RWT ban waves and more RWT ban waves just because "Oh, sorry I didn't read the ToS" and then get unbanned for it because "They didn't know" just to avoid punishments "as a joke" then laugh it off in conversations with friends.

12. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    good thing we deny people that ‘didn’t read our ToS’
    Hope you didnt mean as an example that happens in this server

13. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021