1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice [Game preservation] Looking for old MapleStory installations

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:12 PM
    Moderator Post
    Hello Legends and Lurkers!

Those around on MMO development forums such as RaGEZONE are probably aware I am holding for quite a long time now a big archive for both MapleStory as well as GunBound client and installations.

They were gathered by the community for the community and have the purpose to preserve as much history as possible from MapleStory.

Why is preservation important?

MapleLegends as an example runs on the base MapleStory v0.62 client. This is possible because the installation of v0.62 was preserved and kept. Since the official servers are now obviously on a way later version, the availability of the old versions is officially destroyed.

That means if it wasn't for someone keeping the installation, running on the v0.62 base version would be impossible.

Another example is if let's say v0.62 has exclusive assets in the version, which then in v0.64 or later were removed, the assets are gone forever.

A good example is the early Maple Island. In early versions, Maple Island was much bigger but also harder to navigate.

If it wasn't for some old installations being preserved, those different Maple Island versions would be lost media for good.

Examples of old setups being found...

A good example is a story that happened yesterday, as well as cases in past. The old user used to burn their installation on a CD because downloading back in the day cost a lot of time. A cd would help install the game quickly to friends.

Thanks to the above GMS version v0.07 was found yesterday, and other versions were found this way in past. It's NOT about the CD, it's about the contents. The installer was authentic, thus a genuine lost version was found this way.

Asking for help from the MapleLegends community for the first time

MapleLegends is a big community, and a lot of users played in the old days from regions all over the world.

My request would be if there's anyone out there that still got promo CDs, old hard disks, old burned CDs, USBs, or anything still from back in the day. An already installed MapleStory with all files still intact is STILL GOOD as well, but DO NOT open anything if you have such thing, since the game may try to patch the game, and the files are lost.

It's extremely easy for me to verify versions, so immediately as soon you provide me anything you've got left I can verify from which version it is, as well as which region.

I am looking for all regions (MapleSEA, MapleEurope, etc) and all versions (but focused on pre-big bang).

Do you have anything or need a version check on something you still got?

Please let me know and I'll look into it.

Here's a list (but not a full list since it is pending an update) of everything preserved so far:
    https://forum.ragezone.com/f425/maplestory-client-localhost-archive-1101897/

Please do not link me to anything on the internet because we've already gone through everything so many times unless you are really sure this is something new. This is focused on things our community may still get on CD or installed.

Thanks!

• Like x 21
    • Great Work x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    1:12 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    This is a really cool initiative!! Hoping some previously unarchived content can be found.
    I know a certain ML player who worked as a GM for MSEA, I wonder if they have anything like that...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    7:12 AM
    Jean
    Beginner
    Funk
    i wish you good luck to find someone who still have a CD.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    Jean
    Beginner
    Funk
    this going be the hardest thing ever. people been trying to find lost media or something some are find like the pilot of kappa mikey but other will be forever lost.

5. TigerEgg

TigerEgg Mano

Jul 4, 2020
    Male
    Doom
    Night Lord
    not sure how useful it is but I have an install CD that comes with the iTCG starter pack. i'll see what version it has when i can access a disk drive

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  6. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    Only thing I could find is some guy on reddit that had v0.25 aqua road MapleSEA cds I believe. I don't know if you are interested enough to try to find out if he still has it, willing to sell or in any case help you get the content from it. Though I'm sure you've seen it already.

EDIT: The guy actually gave out download links to the content of the CD, asking him right now if he can send it to me (been 3 years so I don't know what to expect)

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    You can always check, but since iTCG came in v0.5x range and we have every single client starting v0.37 GMS it's probably a version we already have. Always curious though!

8. AudreySP

AudreySP Slime

Feb 22, 2022
    Female
    Maryland, USA
    AudreySP
    I/L Arch Mage
    Community
    I know how hard something like that is, I always have MASSIVE respect for preservationists. Props to Kimmy and the team for trying to search for this. I'm sure we can find at least one version from this post, I remember when people found a version of Minecraft that was available for less than a day. If that's possible, then we can definitely find old lost versions of MAPLE. I wish Kimmy & the team the best of luck in this, I'm a bit of a preservationist myself and I know a handful of people in the video game preservation scene. I'll post this forums post in the Forest of Illusion server (they're a preservation group) so hopefully something can come out of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Thanks for contacting me! I can confirm as I told you in Private Messages that the CD thus far was version 8 MapleSEA which is not a version we had yet. Thanks to ManualPatchers that I already had (I guess I forgot to explain about manual patchers and how they too are extremely useful) I have managed to also obtain version 9, version 10, version 11, and version 12 of MapleSEA.

That's 5 new versions of MapleSEA on the first day this post was live. Thank you very much for your contribution!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. ooShawnyoo

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    That's great to hear! That's awesome. The guy is aware that he forgot to give me the content from the second cd which should be v0.25, he said he will give it to me when he can, as I've told you. Hopefully it will give us even more versions!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    Jean
    Beginner
    Funk
    holy mushroom that freaking awesome!!! this is new history for maplelegends.

12. AudreySP

AudreySP Slime

Feb 22, 2022
    Female
    Maryland, USA
    AudreySP
    I/L Arch Mage
    Community
    That's awesome! Are there any notable differences between the 5 versions? If so, is there a list of them anywhere at the current moment?

13. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    4:12 AM
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    Yooo hell yeah! Sadly all my mega old versions are lost to time, but huge thanks Kimmy for collecting and preserving these kinds of things. I'm a bit obsessed with preserving certain things myself so it's always nice to find someone like-minded hehe :pinkbean:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Ah I remember playing when it first came out, no pirate classes back then. The art style of the pirate town looks slightly different compared to rest of Victoria island. Good luck on your quest, I hope to play that version again someday.

15. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    4:12 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I actually just found a CD I burned in about 2007-2009 (if I had to guess) of an old version of MS. I think I threw the CD away, but I'll see if I still have it.

16. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    MSEA version v25 and v31 have been successfully preserved (newly) as well, from an official CD distributed by AsiaSoft. v31 is from a manual patcher I still had.

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  17. Odinuwu

Odinuwu Red Snail

Mar 17, 2022
    Male
    OdinOppa
    Didn't people like Diamondo and Wackyracer reverse engineer these versions to it's original state? Why wouldn't that be an option

18. ooShawnyoo

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    It would be awesome to find new versions! Hopefully someone who hasn't seen this post yet could have a CD or something!

19. Shuzak

Shuzak Blue Snail

Aug 8, 2022
    Male
    I found an old install of maplestory Europe on a disk i havens used in years, i uploaded it to my google drive, i will message you on discord with the link. i am not sure what the version is, but maybe it serves some purpose.
    I remember MapleEU having some lovely events like Oktoberfest(with actual Beer drops and Bavarian-themed equips), Tomatina(my favorite), Bastille day(also lovely) and Queensday

• Like Like x 1