1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Multimage Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Sep 30, 2022.

Is multimaging bad?

1. yes

98 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. neutral (not good or bad)

46 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    4:19 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    While having a discussion about multimaging, there was one hot take from a specific person about multimaging. This take was so hot and spicy that I want to share it with the community to see what they think.

Here is the part of the take on multimage with names censored:

Context:
    Multimager hater is talking to a multimage farmer that is trying to farm in order to perfect a timeless claw. The multimage hater also unknowingly sold leech to a multimage player that plans to use said mages for multimage. This triggered the multimage hater.

Multimage Hater:
    To put it lightly, let's just say I don't have any respect for anyone who does it knowing they don't have the self restraint to hold back themselves from multimaging even though they know its hurting the economy and making it harder for new players to be able to afford anything of real value.

Multimage Farmer:
    That might be true
    However
    If I don’t do it, someone else will, and I’ll be effected cause I also have goals

Multimage Hater
    Then you're part of the problem because you don't have enough courage to stand up for your morals

Multimage Hater
    man i hate people with that attitude
    you can still make like 85% of the mesos without ruining the economy at 5-6
    but that extra 15% is worth it to you for some reason

Multimage Hater
    I view multimaging as exploiting the game. An exploit that also devalues other people's money and screws over other people when the gms try to fix it with stupid ideas like making pots cost more for everyone. I dont have any respect for anyone who does it
    I hope you enjoy that blood-diamond encrusted claw you're working towards
    knowing you scewed over tons of other people to get it
    also what makes it a little more worse is knowing you already have mages that can 5-6 apparently
    just for like 10m more meso per hour
    i just hope the mods will come up with something that can fix this mess soon
    thats all i got to say
    and after i sold her leech i felt like
    thanks for this chump change that will be valueless with the i/l mages i just helped you train
    27mil for 2hrs of skele leech and she will make 100m in those same 2 hrs with the mages i just helped her get
    just fucking infuriating thinking about that for me
    Basically what I'm trying to say is that the multi-maging that Pasta's members are doing are unknowingly making it increasingly harder for Pasta to recruit new members in the future that meet Pasta's 40 white scroll worth of gear requirement.

Please vote on the poll and or share your opinion on multimage in the comments!

Also R>Multimage farmers to Multimagers guild.

• Friendly x 8
    • Great Work x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    7:19 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Let it be known that said multimager hater is also making several mages to sell dual mage 5-6 leech (a form of multimaging), while dissing quad/hexa/octa maging because it is 'morally incorrect'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    7:19 AM
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    A wise man once said “Adapt or die” ..

Neglecting the best mesos making strats because you feel like there’s a certain way the game ought to be played is very moronic. Acting like this eventually just results in people resorting to weird strats like gear pooling, or even insane amounts of gear sharing. People don’t actually care about multi mage, they care about who’s doing multi mage. People once upon a time had the exact same feelings about leech, this is nothing new, just people complaining while they inherit and beg for gear from people who actually did the dirt

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  4. FatSloth

FatSloth Windraider Retired Staff

Nov 15, 2020
    Male
    6:19 AM
    FatSloth
    Buccaneer
    ImACatMeow
    I quit when the meta of the game became making it a job lol multimage is an awful era for the server imo

Edit: that said no reason to try and bring someone down for doing it

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    In my opinion, the idea that multimaging is optimal and efficient is a flaw in part of the server design.

For one, it inflates player count. It inflates vote counts. It inflates the population to higher than what it really is. And every game, no matter what it is, feels more dead when you see more mules, when you see 1 person making up 0.5% of the playerbse with their 4 mages and a looter.

It means that the other methods of acquiring wealth are not palpable enough that the game is to become magestory.

Can't blame players for doing what they want to do and make the most out of it. It's how they want to play. But changes to the server that are made because of multi-mages always warrant a lot of caution, because nerfing the other classes from farming is a bad thing that reduces diversity.

I don't see multi-maging as a problem. I see it as a symptom of the underlying problems of the server.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Shmoo

Shmoo Horny Mushroom

Oct 16, 2020
    Male
    7:19 AM
    Shmoo
    Warrior
    I think it’s ok to have 6 mages but once you make a seventh you’re probably not going to heaven

• Agree x 19
    • Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    10:19 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Mr multimage hater has inspired me (a man of good values) to make more mages.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    I agree with you completely here. These problems do not exist because of multi-maging, but rather because of multi-clienting.

Multi-clienting changed the way the game can be played, and with it the balance of the game.

It has introduced a divide among the player base that didn't exist in GMS: players that multi client vs players that don't.

This wouldn't be a problem except for the effects these two populations have on each other that you mentioned above.

Single-clienters are getting edged out of the economy by those who take advantage of these new systems, and with them the increased efficiency those systems provide.

I understand the concept of "adapt or die", and it is very much applicable in this situation. If you want to stay competitive, you have to adapt.

The problem with that on this server, and the problem that a lot of newer players in particular are facing, myself included, is this:

This is a nostalgia server. Anybody who downloads this game is chasing the memory of pre-BB GMS. Insisting that players "adapt" to the new systems in place is a direct contradiction to the reason they started playing this game in the first place.

Multi-clienting has created a new meta for the server, but with it a very strong divide between portions of the population that only continues to grow. And right now, the balance team has an impossible decision to make:

Do they cater toward the hardcore, meta-chasing player base and dive head first into the idea of multi-clienting, along with every symptom that comes with it including multi-maging, knowing that accommodating this portion of the population makes it increasingly more difficult for those who do not multi-client?

Or do they support the traditional, single-client experience and cater toward those that are newer to the server, which is almost certain to increase new player retention but also upset their ride-or-die, hardcore meta player base?

The two are trying to be balanced together, but it is proving to be an extremely difficult task. My fear is that at some point a side must be chosen.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  9. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    I don't really think a side must be chosen.

I think it is possible to make the game tailored for all players, class wise, multi-clienting wise, single-clients, etc.

It just entails that certain zones or content needs to be optimized for particular classes.

Sure multi-maging can be the most efficient, but then there appears to be massive gaps in wealth gain between multi-maging, leeching, and bossing, and probably zilch content or no efficient content for attacker classes to farm anywhere close in meaningful gains.

But I'd love to be proven wrong

10. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    To be honest, the only reason I think multimage unfair is because there is a hint pay-to-win behind the idea. You actually need a machine that can run 4x or 8x client on, which not everyone have

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Can u stop cheating as the dealer in blackjack :drowning:

12. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Would you also agree that allowing multivote is also unfair, because there is also a hint of pay-to-win behind the idea (i.e. requiring a phone with a data plan)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    8:19 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Multimage is really op. I dont like it but Im feeling forced to do right now, and I just made my 4th char. Probably I cant go longer because I play on my laptop, it sucks.
    But I think it's really broken because:
    1. You dont need much time to play (lets say you have 1h to play, you probably wont sell leech, but you can multimage)
    2. You dont need to talk to anyone. Sometimes it's boring to negotiate a leech price, or you dont even find partner to sell your leech.
    3. Depending on where you farm, you can sell leech at same time if you want, so it's even more mesos made.
    4. You dont have ppl to undercut ur leech prices.

It creates an unlimited way to farm mesos, and it can be negative cuz of inflation (for specific items, not everything) and also I dont think playing in multiclients is healthy at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Depends how many people don’t have a phone with a data plan. If it’s the same amount of people who can’t afford a $1000+ computer

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I dont agree cuz it's a common thing. Or we would consider pay to win because we need to pay our internet/energy bills and have a PC to play?
    Those are almost essential stuff nowadays and prob everyone has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    Yes.

I think anything that requires anything outside of the requirements to run the game is unfair. Though I don't believe that multi-vote is as unfair as multi-maging, because the impact it has on other players and the economy is far lesser.

However, I'm also a believer in the idea that the restriction of "one account per player" should be in place, so I acknowledge I'm at the extreme end of the spectrum.

17. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I believe that there are much fewer people who do not have a phone with a data plan vs people with a $1k+ computer or laptop. However, you do not need a $1k machine to run 6+ clients. I think its easily possible with a ~$500 to $600 budget PC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Laptops in general aren't good, I paid a lot for mine and it still sucks for multiclienting. Not everyone pays in dollar too. I wish I had the opportunity to pay around 1k brazilian mesos for a good computer.
    I can run til 3 clients perfectly fine, but it starts to overheat and fps lag after this, and tbh maple is a game without high requirements so we are considering a better pc to run a cheap game just because of our play style, doesn't make much sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The new content implementation and pouch readjustments made it so you can make reasonable progress just by bossing daily.

People need to step away from their attachment to meso value of things and look at it in terms of time.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Possibly, not against multi-clienting, but just like to imagine what is it like being on the other side.
    Having a good computer leads to better opportunities, that’s the truth. With just a MAC, I couldn’t PB, can’t mulit-client efficient, dc often in horntail. (I actually only had a MAC for the longest time, so I know the pain of playing on one) So I’m super fortunate to have a system to run all these on. But at some point, gotta draw a line and ask ourselves a question.

Should one be spending $500-600 dollars to buy a PC for multi-maging else be missing out on this “golden” opportunity? That’s honestly the only perspective I wanted to bring up.

Should we close the gap between people with good computers and people who don’t? Maybe, maybe not. But might be a good consideration point.

• Agree Agree x 1