1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee vs Ranged.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Dec 24, 2022.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    4:13 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Chalk it up to difference in opinion then. If I were hosting Auf I would absolutely take the Shad over most ranged. I don’t run Toad because that fight is a huge waste of time but same goes for that as well. And while Shad dpm in HT is underwhelming I still would rather have a Shad sed than any other class.

Shad in PB is also very very nice.

2. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    7:13 PM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I would rather have shad to sed too, sed mules are common practice now so it's definitely not as important. I myself have 2 shads and will definitely use one as a sedmule to be more competent at ht. I do think shads are okay at pb, i doubt they are better than BM though.

In terms of Auf my idea was that a lot of people seem to be under the impression that shads are beasts there but they range from good to decent at best. If there's a properly washed MM i'd take that over a shad. They can deliver higher damage and provide SE to the rest of the party. The amount of damage they provide isn't only limited to the damage they do, but also SE in a fight where muling is not yet common practice. I'd hardly call shad good when there's DPM evidence of paladins hitting 7.26m vs highest of 4.87m on shads.

3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Paladin is also the best DPM class in the game for Auf bar none by a huge margin so it’s hardly a fair comparison. The perfect Auf group would just be 2 buccs and 3 paladins but there’s not enough endgame paladins on the server to really do that.
    Also you’d be surprised how not common Sed muling is in HT. Everyone talks about it but only a handful of players even have sed mules and are capable of piloting them.

4. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    While I agree with you, arguing anything in this community is a minefield. If you say shads are good because they are good seds, people will jump the gun and say they can be muled. If you say they are bad because they can be muled, the argument would be most people don't do it. Either way it's hard to cater to everyone. My whole point being is that there seems to be overvaluing of shads at auf, which apparently everyone agrees is meme content.

5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    One thing to note as well is fights li
    I disagree personally. Fights like Auf don’t fail from lack of DPM they fail because too many people die. Bringing a class with reliable damage that isn’t a liability is huge. People don’t value Shads for their damage at Auf they value them for their safety and consistency. Defensive picks are extremely good in Auf.

6. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I've had this conversation before with participating shads on auf. Smoke is usually used for free fire. It's unlikely that your smoke will be OFF cd in a scenario where you can "save someone". Lets not forget that SE improves damage on everyone else and shorter runs also means that there's a lower chance of things to go wrong.

7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Shads survivability is tied to Shifter not Smoke.

8. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    My mistake, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you were referencing smoke on the survivability part. In that case yes, they hold some value. I think auf isn't ran enough to completely have the full picture of risky would it be to have a MM over a shad. I'd be one to believe heavy washing mitigates a lot of the risk which goes both ways. By that I mean there's definitely a certain degree of risk to bringing a shad below 20k hp, There's scenarios where you could die to Dispel sed. I bring this up because 20k hp isnt usually a target washing goal for shadowers. If we disregard that and have both MM and shad at 20k+ i can't be certain on how high the risk of death is for MM vs shad.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Since MM and Shad washing values are identical I would compare them at equal Hp amounts and I’d imagine at any given Hp the Shad is significantly more likely to live than the MM.

either way there’s not really a lot of MMs.

10. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:13 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Guys, you read/saw something of LinLin movie/data about auf?

11. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I have! both his video and guide. What about it?

12. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:13 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    He have alot of data of diferents class running

13. JesusLovesMe

JesusLovesMe King Slime

Mar 4, 2022
    Male
    7:13 AM
    BookOfLife
    Beginner
    Heaven
    I'm not sure what's going on with the discussion all in whole, but it seems like an ever more intensified one than the thread that was probably on "talking point" very recently if you know what I mean. Well, just my personal opinion here, melee players are not as fun per se to play in terms of having barely any active attack skills than the magicians and of course ranged classes would possess. And also in generic summary, ranged classes has LESS HP than melee characters do...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Yeah, ranged are by no means barred from participating in auf. But in general they definitely don't perform well there. But that is also true for the content where ranged excel, melees aren't barred from participating in it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Would just like to comment that both of those 7m and 8m dpm BM posts for Toad were actually after the bug fix, which was done with the anniversary/summer patch in early August. I archive any dpms from that thread that end up being outdated due to significant changes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Were they really? Why does mine feel so low wtf I get like 15k lines

17. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess with that being said I can't really find the content where shad beats BM (or any other ranged) since all of these DPMs are valid. I thinks this somewhat speaks to what i've been refering to. We can take toad as an example. It's a boss where shadowers have the IED advantage and are supposed to perform well. With that being said, even at 21 levels ahead (I'm not aware of the gearing the BM) but i do know gurk has pretty good gear and i believe used a 128 kanzir for this fight, still gets outperformed. I'd be one to think it's very hard to overcome 21 levels of damage in gear, specially when gurk has high end gear himself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Also, somewhat unrelated to the overall conversation but I've been looking for an excuse to post my CWKPQ stats and this looks like as good a time as any.
    cwk_stats.PNG

The 4-man EV increases to ~20.5m when factoring gelts at apple value, which translates to roughly 25m/hr assuming 50 minute runs. And that run EV can stand to grow even further with 3-man runs that only a strong hero/DK (or sweaty dual client attacker setup) can enable.

People really be sleeping on CWKPQ.

Link to data

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think the biggest issue is 50 min runs is a big ask. I have a lot of issues finding and organizing signs and finding strong enough cleave to clear that fast. Most runs end up taking north of 1 hour, longer with sign issues

also it’s incredibly reliant on having a giga cracked archer which is rare

20. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I would like to believe I've run current auf enough to say I'd much rather shad than archer for any equivalent hp level. I'd prefer the archer than a hero/dk as well though, assuming the archer knows how to survive if not stupid washed.

And I'd rather pally above all else, but that's only because element effective bonus is giga busted.

• Informative Informative x 1