1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the Community, Legends, Leeching, and Old Players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwordArt, Sep 7, 2018.

1. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    4:22 AM
    Paladin
    First off I'm gonna start by saying that I've been here for a little over 3 years now. I've witnessed a lot here and decided to care enough to state my opinion and give some advice. Hopefully something in here helps you or a friend of yours. <3

Leeching
    I'll start with leeching since it seems to be a hot topic the past few months. You don't need leeching to be make meso or level. I'll use myself as an example: I'm currently a level 191 Paladin who hasn't leeched a single level. A Paladin being the most flamed class of all time and still somehow able to be one of the strongest out there. In current legends, there are so many grinding spots that we don't need leech. Its insane compared to what we had in 2015-2016.
    For the meso making part. There are tons of places to make mesos but people just don't want to put the work in to go farm monsters or search through free market to merch. It's understandable if someone doesn't have the time but Maple is a grind game. If someone needs a farming meso guide I'll gladly make one for you all. Let me know in the comments. Another thing someone can do is sell fame. It's insane seeing people beg in the Free Market asking for meso when you can just sell 1 fame and be set. Any new player can do this once and be well on their way. I don't want to make that sound rude but it's very true.
    Onto the leveling part of leeching. I for one hate it. You don't need to do this. No class needs to leech. If you don't want to leech just simply don't do it. Current players stop telling new players they need to buy leech and scaring them off. Again there are places to grind for every class and if someone needs a guide me or someone else would gladly do it. If you want to leech then go for it no problem. But most people I have talked to said Leeching is not fun and that's the key factor. Having fun. If you prefer grinding to level or questing to level like my spouse then do it and have a great time. Yes, leeching is the fastest way to level but not everyone can pay millions an hour and again people find it boring.

Old Players
    I'd like to also use this thread to understand certain people. Mainly the people who quit because of their hate for the server and continue to bash it. If you hate the server, why are you here? Why do you still bash the server and the GMs? Is it because of the mistakes the GMs made? Too attached? The community? I even admit myself I did hate logging on Legends for a period of time and I thought it was the servers fault but it wasn't. I actually love it here and it was just the people surrounding me trying to make me hate it. I just wish to know what's the point in sticking around this server if you hate it so much. This will probably be meme'd but I won't be bothered and doing that would just prove my point. And if any of the GMs read this, why don't you perma ban them from commenting? Is it because you feel like that's what they want? If so, let them have it and make this place not toxic please.

Community and Legends
    This community is either going downhill or people are just speaking up more or something. Why are people so whiny? Compared to 2016 this is nothing because people whined about content. Now these people are whining for in my opinion the most wild things I could think of. People here want their hand held so bad and I especially realized that when I asked for CWKPQ to be made a bit harder because the pendant is too good.
    I'll start with HP washing. Don't do it if you don't want to. I don't understand why people say "hey you need to wash don't play this class". I very recently learned that you don't need to wash anymore to kill Horntail (not toad) with the Ellin ring and Monster book ring bonuses. And also wearing a HP rat mouth isn't the end of the world. With the Monster book ring and ellin ring you need to be about early level 160 to go survive horntail without washing. If you want the chart I could link it in the comments.
    For PQing I somewhat agree that I wish there were more people pqing and I would gladly like to see more. I know for a fact we cannot have Carnival PQ here because its just Win Trade City and you just fly through 30-50. And as someone who loves party play I'd love to see more party quests but coding isn't easy so we need to be patient. And I also agreed with a comment I saw. PQ's aren't really the issue it's just finding people. It used to be popular but I'm not exactly sure what happened besides School starting.
    Leveling nowadays isn't the hardest thing anymore. There are so many EXP spots especially at higher levels now instead of just skeles. Now we have shaolin, skeles, ToT, petris, Toad, horntail, zakum, Papulatus, Pianus, Samurai and one day Neo Tokyo/ Tokyo City. And as for the people who complained about the lower levels. It's the same thing but there are way more options. Again if you want a guide I can work on it when I'm free. I remember even one of the GMs mentioned how Magatia was buffed in an announcement and to go check it out.. I never heard of anyone going there to check it out? Just because you see everyone is leeching doesn't mean you have or need to leech. I also wanna throw out there I even offered to help people who struggle at level 115+ or early 4th job a chance to get insane exp with me but I got 0 buddy requests or whispers. I clearly tried to help but nobody wanted to take the golden opportunity for whatever reason.

Looking Ahead
    I feel as though people don't appreciate this server anymore. The GMs all have actual lives and don't get paid for this so relax. The donation money goes to the server. And to make things better there's a Gunbound server coming out eventually (pls let me in testing) that they didn't have to do at all but is extremely cool. I believe people should stop trying to be so mad at things and whine about every single thing and just HAVE FUN playing Legends or any other server. Yes the GMs have made mistakes in the past but every video game ever has big mistakes that are made so get over it and move on. Again one of the biggest if not the biggest reasons we're playing here is to have fun. If you don't have fun why are you playing?

Thanks for reading I'm sure I missed a few things but we can discuss peacefully in the comments. Feel free to buddy me or message me on discord if you want to say your opinion or anything. cam#3529

-SwordArt

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Agree x 27
    • Friendly x 24
    • Great Work x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Creative x 1
  2. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    3:22 AM
    NSFW
    heart emoji

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Gracie

Gracie Blue Snail

Mar 31, 2015
    Female
    5:22 AM
    Hero
    :mood: everyone needs to stop being so angry about everything :OMEGALIT:

on another note: i've played since beta & i've quit on and off for years but like... people seem progressively more entitled and angrier about everything these days. let's remember that the GMs have worked their booties off for like 4 years on this server and it's hands down the most functional ps i have ever been on. and guess what! it's free! :) many of the flaws can be attributed to the flaws of early maplestory. love u all

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Danna

Danna Slime

May 19, 2018
    Female
    New York
    12:22 PM
    Cherrywine
    Bishop
    ThotzRUs
    <3

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    6:22 AM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    pepeHANDS

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    Man I've been thinking this for 3 years. I just hit level 91. I'm a Hermit that hasn't washed or leeched, I just quest and explore. And I'm having a blast!

But I have literally been laughed at for this or told I'm "not doing it right." Some people like to race to 200, or push the limits of their class, or complete all quests/monster book, or make one of every type of class (*eyeballs AnnolisAnnolis * you keep doing you dude!), or just sit in the FM and make friends. Everyone has fun in their own way. But if you're not having fun then maybe take a step back. No one is making you do any of these things, or even play the game at all.

I'm not very good with words but I thought I should share a little opinion for once in 3 years instead of lurking like a mofo :( Cheers all, and thanks Cam

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  7. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    can u make the meso guide please

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Definitely agree with most if not all of these points.
    You and I should start a guide series!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    Wow, if Danna is here, it must be really important! Mother bear knows best

To the actual post, what you said it actually very correct. The main thing I haven't been able to figure out is who actually is complaining. The focus I've been seeing every day is that of leeching and hp washing, which translates into people who basically want a shortcut to level extremely fast and then just grind end game content right? It just reminds me of issues on real life where the most outspoken people consist of a very small population, in Legends case because the population isn't that big is why there's a seemingly big confusion. I struggled in this server a lot from the beginning but I found things to be very fair and achievable given enough time. Maybe Legends was just too good to handle?!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    I'm not sure if this is aimed at me or not but I'm going to put my 2 cents in. Feel free to press the disagree button at this time.

First of all, you are part of the problem. You haven't bought my baskets at our regular 100k each rate in a long time. I've been forced to put them in my shop at prices like 77k and in dire times ~50k. You know how sensitive I am, how could you do this to me?

Secondly, you are the reason some have referred to me and my character as bear #2. Unbeknownst to me, you already had the bear outfit and had been wearing it for some time. I'm not even one of a kind.

Seriously though, a lot of this has gotten way out of hand. I credit the GMs and especially Kimmy with what they've done here. I have told her so before. I'm not posting the 2 threads I posted because I hate them or I hate the game or I think you are all toxic. I post because I really like the server and would like to see it flourish. That's why I vote, it's why I help other players, it's why I log on to play.

Could I be completely off-base with my suggestions? Sure, I'm just a guy speaking his mind. I'm more than happy to listen to feedback from people with more experience and knowledge than I have. What I am not happy about is being told I'm claiming one thing or another in my thread. I clearly never called anyone toxic, yet 2-3 people had to argue about that with me.

The community here is great for the most part and I'd recommend the server wholeheartedly. I've only met 2 players who I ever felt crossed a line in terms of being toxic. I can't even count the number of wonderful players I've met and interacted with here. People have helped me left and right. There's a lot to be proud of and appreciative of here.

I hope people don't think I'm a rager who is freaking out on the forums. When I have something to say or a point I'd like to make, I'm going to do that. It's not meant to be aggressive or hostile. I'm actually a really calm person in real life.

Best,

:bear: #2

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    you really got me on those first few lines hahah FoxF1

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    I think the biggest problem the community faces is excessive competition and efficiency-focused play. People would rather follow guides than finding training spots that they prefer, even if they're slower. I'm guilty of following guides and i wish i played the game more like i did when i was a kid; just adventuring around was the more enjoyable part as far as i remember.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Zebezian

Zebezian Master Chronos Retired Staff

Sep 17, 2017
    Male
    Zebezian
    Paladin
    Honor
    I've been a player far longer than I have been on the staff here, but I think it is 100% true that the community is what makes me enjoy this game more than any other factor.

In my time playing here so far I have had the privilege of meeting many, many wonderful people and making many great friends. While my new capacity as a staff member has exposed me to more of the "underbelly" of the ML community, it has also shown me that there are far, far more great people who really make this community shine and make it worth any "work" that I might have to put in to help keep things going.

I know others have said it before, but all of us play this game for different reasons. However, I hope that regardless of our differences of how we think things should be run... what changes we think need to be made... etc... we all try to keep an attitude where we have each other's best interests in mind, regardless of what actually happens. Ultimately the pixels aren't real, but the people we meet and the experiences we share (although through a digital medium) are real, and I think that's ultimately what counts.

As the server continues to move forward into whatever the future holds, I hope that we can take a step back from the nitty-gritty of the game and work on connecting more with one another on a personal level first. Then, when we get to "hot" topics where there is a lot of disagreement, we'll at least know that we really do have each other's best interest at heart, and any "toxic" mentality that may be creeping in can be put to rest.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  14. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Cam MapleF14:heart:

And to stay OT: I'm a total newbie and am not even here for a year yet, but I must say that I totally agree in that the only "healthy" reason one should have for playing a game like this is the enjoyment one derives out of doing so. If there's no enjoyment, then there's no "healthy" reason -- and I guess that's another way of saying... if the game/forum/community makes you bitter and salty without any real upsides, just let it go :/
    I'm sorry if I'm saying anything out of place, but... sometimes I read comments and exchanges here that seem to contain so much venom, and... I really don't think that's necessary or beneficial whatsoever, to anyone. I'm not even talking about any specific opinions or saying what I think about the various subjects of disagreement around here; I'm just saying that as a mindset, sticking around when you strongly feel that everything is "wrong" despite the majority disagreeing with that sentiment is... a good recipe for disappointment and bitterness >.<

As for the community itself, perhaps I've gotten lucky or something, but... I absolutely love the people here. XD
    I came here for a quick burst of nostalgia and stuck around for the community. I feel like ML's community (or, at least, those I've been lucky enough to encounter in-game) is so much more mature, friendly, and respectful than what is the average on the internet. I've felt very welcome when I joined and I feel even more welcome today. I feel safe saying what I think. I met friends here that I came to care about so much. The GMs truly seem to care and invest in this server while we all know perfectly well that they don't have to.
    I have some much more in-depth examples of actual specific phenomenons but I don't wanna make yet another wall of text, so I won't get into that.

I dunno... I'm having fun here :' )

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Heheh, I find immense enjoyment in finding new, cool, ultra-efficient methods to train, especially if they're a bit unconventional. Trailblazing is fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  17. Rockler

Rockler Mixed Golem

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Sweden
    11:22 AM
    Nude
    Night Lord
    Scamure
    You are sex

• Useful Useful x 3
  18. Vera

Vera Dark Stone Golem

Sep 27, 2016
    Female
    ei
    Nolo
    Buccaneer
    Demure
    ily cam <3

also a really good text, I very much agree with most of the things you said!

Of course alot of us have something to complain about, but i dont think contributing to that makes anything better. (pls buff bucc stance more tho lol)
    Constructive criticism is always appreciated, but its a very different thing than starting these random whiny fights about things that have been talked about over and over again. I dont want to say that the community is shit now, since i interact with other players way less than what i used to do two years ago (also i play less way less), but i can still feel a shift in the environment.

As you said, people dont really appreciate the server as much as they used to. (me personally aswell).
    I honestly feel like people need to get out of their toxicity and just chill and play the game. Yeah you can rush to 200 if you feel like thats important to you, but this constant battling over such unimportant things is so worthless (for example, fighting about hp washing lol) if it begins such wars and no one feels good after shit goes down. Help each other out, dont trash people down, peace and love and all that shit.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Great post. I've been semi-active for the last year and a half, so though I'm too busy and distant to really be involved I've been lurking and keeping up just enough, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. What makes Legends powerful is the stable and challenging quality of the game, and the mature and friendly community that can appreciate that. Those are identities that I think have slipped up for a time, but I also believe we are regaining our stability. It's easier to manage with a smaller, or more slowly increasing playerbase as opposed to the sharp rise from... when was it? Last summer probably. The important part for the community and especially the staff (as they have control over the permanent features of the game) is to retain the qualities that make Legends unique and loveable.

About leeching, I think that has to do with stability. Do what you do to enjoy the game, yeah? And you might enjoy getting leeched and watching your levels shoot up. It'll flood your brain with oxytocin for a while, but then what? You run out of meso and have to grind for yourself. Or you get to level 200 and it's over, but you haven't even earned it for the pride it's worth. And you expect to get the same rush from the game but you don't... the game becomes bitter and you keep coming back trying to get back that rush but nothing. So then you leave and forget about it all. I may not have described it accurately but this type of cycle is the reason most of us are here instead of playing original GMS. If that's what you're looking for, this isn't the place. I can understand leeching a little here and there (though I've personally vowed never to do it :D) but it's definitely overdone these days and that doesn't befit a server that prides itself in being the most stable and challenging.

I'll make a post of my own someday but for now these are my thoughts. Peace out and make Legends great again :heartbeat:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Gracie

Gracie Blue Snail

Mar 31, 2015
    Female
    5:22 AM
    Hero
    :heart: maplelegends :heart: ml staff :heart: impera alliance :heart: cam :heart: garbear :heart:
    honestly i wasn't even aware of what escalated all of this heated discussion, but of course ML won't be for everyone. i think those of us who have stuck around for so long see just how special the server is (in terms of functionality and events and whatever else), but also the community. those who complain probably complain about everything. early maplestory was flawed as heck.
    i truly appreciate all of my pals on here. i truly appreciate all of the hours of hard work the staff has put in (even though i haven't rly ever talked to any of you). pls never get discouraged 0:~)
    i feel as if everyone is just repeating themselves on these threads now, but i just wanted 2 say you're all the best. i love maplelegends yeehaw

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1