1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I am quitting, and what I think is wrong with MapleLegends

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by Hito, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    10:55 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    First of all I've been playing MapleLegends on and off since 2017 and have donated somewhere in the area of $150 or more (spitballing). So this is not a rant designed to attack the server, nor is it a rant in general. I have made a lot of friends here, and I like seeing this server do well else I wouldn't have been around for 2 years and donated so many times.

The main reason I wanted to play a private server was because GMS is effectively a single-player game. I don't like how everyone has flash jump, everyone mobs, levels mean nothing, it seems to be about getting gear and bossing only. Royals seems too easy, other servers are all easier versions of GMS. I like old MapleStory, childhood MapleStory, hard MapleStory. I used to think v62 was hard but I've come to realise that things like muling and the 4th job suck away a lot of the fun, and I'd like to explain why.

Muling

I feel that even if I have a high level Crusader/Hero I lose to people with the following mules:
    • Haste
    • HyperBody
    • Meso Up
    • Sharp Eyes
    • whatever else is muled
    So immediately the barrier to being equal with other players is to also have these mules. I could certainly not have them, but now I am slower, have less HP, and earn 50% less mesos than other players because of it. I may enjoy being at a disadvantage but I don't think that's the norm.

It saddens me seeing half of the people in FM channels just being mules and watching people on stream login to their 11th mule, their KPQ mule, their LPQ mule, their X mule, their Y mule. It's insane that it's that easy to have a spare for everything. Straight up having a PQ mule is either to replace someone else who isn't available, or is so that you can carry an entire team of 5 others in LPQ for instance. Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but it removes community interaction and thats the start of the very slippery slope that has a end I don't like. I think being able to remove interaction from other players so easily and the fact that some/most people do it so some capacity is the beginning right? Why seek out a Thief when I can just login to my haste mule. Hold up, this guy for EPQ is getting his HB mule with 17,000 HP at level 50 so his guild has one for Zakum, forget fixing or promoting players to play Dragon Knight or Dark Knight just mule it.

Leeching

Put simply, leeching sucks. My fondest memory of childhood MapleStory was seeing a level 30 and thinking they were god-incarnate. Seeing level 150 Tiger on the rankings and thinking how that was even possible, I'd been 2X for a month now back then. I was so clueless at the game as a child that I increased my STR as a "d3xl3ss s1n" just so I could equip the monkey wrench for whatever reason. The highest I ever got that char was 67 and that was in 2008/2009 or something around the time Michael Jackson died.

The other day on Legends I watched a guildie go from 70 to 135 in something like a week or two as they self-leeched with their Bishop. Congratulations for them but that makes me feel terrible, my effort in levelling is useless compared to those with mules who can level faster due to leeching, let alone them being tankier, moving faster, and earning more mesos with mules. Yes comparing yourself to others is bad but that's the standard of the game. The formula is you make a bishop (I find mages categorically boring and impossible to play) and once you have one you sell leech for mesos and leech your real main up. I find that insane. It's not a hard requirement, but it is a soft one given how essentially everyone recommends it.

Leeching removes any aura of significance around levels to the point where they are worth essentially nothing. Being a high level now has no value. I think 4th job adds a lot of power creep, as well as the ability to leech, which ruins that aspect of the game for me.

4th Job

Put simply, everything is too good. It's much more obvious in modern GMS where everyone has a flash jump, everyone can kill an entire map, etc. 4th job is the first iteration of this and things like Gensis, MapleWarrior, and other insane damage skills kind of make the other jobs useless. Yes some classes have a 2nd job that wipes out the first, same for the 3rd. Yes Assassins use Lucky7 until Triple Throw. There are some good aspects of 4th but for me the insane gap in power and balance around specifically 4th job content means the game isn't even truly fun until that cap is hit. And now I don't even feel special for it because I could straight up just merch and pay for leech and technically hit 120 without ever grinding for myself.

Voting and HP Washing

Yes I can play the game how I want and bossing isn't a requirement, but it's a huge amount of endgame content that literally is not available to me or is held back until a much later level if I choose not to HP wash. Things like pet loot items cannot be bought with donor NX because that's pay to win, gachapon was removed from vote NX because that's vote to win, yet HP washing which is essentially "wash to access the entire game" is still locked at an insane 3,100 NX behind vote-only NX. It shouldn't be donor NX, but it shouldn't be only vote NX either. It should at least be allowable for purchase via mesos and/or lowered to 1,000 NX and/or bundled.

Having to wait a whole YEAR to get access to my character is absurd and sucks the drive out knowing that I am weaker than everyone else, even with me not having 5 mules and a bishop on the side, let alone having to vote every day for a year to get access to end-game content. It feels like I vote just to get access to HP washing, because it's literally the only way bar events or GM events. I should be voting for the good of the server, not so that I can have a character equally as powerful as others.

For me, these things add up to too much. I wish MapleLegends well as it has been the seat of hundreds of hours of fun for me, but I don't see the value in grinding levels people just leech, or voting for 1 year to then get access to my characters full potential. I think I've been demystified to that now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Agree x 18
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Conjuring

Conjuring Master Chronos

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    4:55 PM
    Hey I joined MapleLegends on launch day and I hit level 144 with my paladin.
    I feel much more satisfied and proud than most of the players because I worked hard for it and had so much fun.
    Look at the positive side - you are getting much more satisfied with your progress than the leeching players. They are most likely to quit at higher levels because they got used to leeching .
    I have no problems with so many mules in this server - it saves me so much time because I can easily get invited to a party with mules.

I don't blame you because you didn't choose that experience. Farewell and hope you change your mind MapleF2

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    3:55 PM
    Moderator Post
    you basically explained v62/pre-big bang in this post minus the washing being by voting which was by paywall instead

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  4. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    Common Kim reduce the aprests to 2.1k or make them tradeable it will help poor people (new players) to get a lil Meso boost to buy pots and gear

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Those people who leech their mules or attackers have gone through the hard times too. They made the bish, grinded to high levels and spent tons of time on it. When you just start, you won't have money to leech to 120. They went through the same heartache, but they've outgrown it. It's the same thing with people having amazing gear at low levels. They put in the effort with other characters.

I have a bishop and a NL that I both grinded to get high. Now when I want to play something new I spend time leeching it during the boring or tough levels. That doesn't mean I never put in the effort (2015 player here).

I hope that might put your mind at ease :) I'm not tying to attack you here

• Agree Agree x 16
  6. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    7:55 AM
    null
    Beginner
    null
    just get rid of hp washing, easy

mules are unstoppable however

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i feel the same about hp washing and leeching, but there is just no fix to it on this stage of the server.
    those 2 systems cause so much problems and unbalance, but ppl who already got what they want dont want to see it changed.
    i like maplestory pbb and with the combination of bad computer and the fact that i dont see better server then legends, i chose to just play as everyone do here (started making mules, and saving nx for hp washing at high level). maybe in the future ppl here will change their minds and you come back. anyway farewell. sad to see someone who donate leave...

8. Zachtastic

Zachtastic Blue Snail

Nov 2, 2018
    Male
    8:55 AM
    Beginner
    All of your reasons are valid, but you're talking about inherent flaws with Maplestory as a whole. MapleLegends could never hope to fix all the issues you mentioned, and its really not practical for them to even try. I think one thing MapleLegends has done well is to give every player the choice and the ability to play the game in the way that is most fun to them. I find that I have always gotten more enjoyment from the game when my focus is just that: enjoying the game. I'm talking about questing, talking with friends, PQing (sometimes), and coming on boss runs when I can. I don't have to have mules to do any of those things. It's true that a player without mules can never hope to be on the same level as a player with mules, but its up to the player to decide if that's actually something that's important to them.

I tried to be like those with an abundance of mules, those who washed to 30k HP, and who can leech a character 50+ levels in a week, and once I had those things I felt exactly like you do. It wasn't until after i achieved those things that I realized that those things aren't necessary to enjoy the game, and in reality they make me want to play the game less.

TL;DR - do what you like because the game is old and flawed, and that wont change, but you can if you want to

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Crayo

Crayo Chronos

Oct 26, 2018
    Male
    10:55 AM
    The only things here that weren't also true about v62 GMS are the muling (to a degree anyway--GMS didn't allow multiclienting, though that didn't stop people from opening up accounts on multiple computers at once) and the HP washing, which was the same shit but required paying real money.

In a lot of ways the Legends "meta" is pretty accurate to old school MS, it's just that most people never even got to late game to realize this was what old school MS was like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ThePotatoSalad

ThePotatoSalad Windraider

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    So you are telling us about you want to see yourself being equally strong as a person who paid lots of time effort to make these mules to boost mesos income and leveling power for late game content? I'm pretty sure this is not how MapleStory v62/pre-big bang works. The sad truth is you can even account share, kill steal, and do other toxic stuff in the official MapleStory without getting banned, does that sounds even worse for you?

But anyway, farewell and good luck for your next journey Hito.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    10:55 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I hope you didn't take this personally, it's just my opinion and I do wish the server well.

I don't have any mules beyond for item slots. It does seem that way, I certainly never got to a high enough level to experience end-game GMS back in the day.

I don't think comparing toxic behaviour to my opinion of non-toxic things is appropriate here, I have stated multiple times I wish the server well and this reads (to me) as a bit standoff-ish.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    actually washing with payment might be better. most of players wont wash because its expensive . and the amount of hp will be more balanced between the classes.
    on private servers you have the option to cancel it completly.
    is there a reason to keep hpwashing on a server other than because some people like it?

13. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    So you are saying if there was 1 NL around in the server with 30k HP it was more encouraging and motivating for you compared to everyone being able to reach the goal? Serious question btw

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i dont think its a question of: if it more encouraging or not. its more balance and fairness to me.
    but to answer you: yes, if most players have the same hp i do, i wont feel totaly left out compare to the most. The plight of the many is the comfort of the individual.

and again why did you chose to keep hp washing?

• Like Like x 3
  15. ThePotatoSalad

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    How does my comment sounds toxic for you? :eek:
    By reading through your comment and that's pretty much what you are trying to tell us before your farewell.

The play style is completely open for every single player and that means you can play with the way you feel most comfortable. If you want to go solo style with a none-mage class and without buff mules and then spend lots of time to level up and grind for mesos. That's fine and no one is blame you on that. So why are you comparing with someone who's playing mage class with buff mules and makes tons of mesos with their own play style?

If there is no hp wash needed in this server without any class balance. You will only see NL's jump around like a group of locusts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    why do you think that? i thought it will result the opposite if anything.(less NL)

17. ThePotatoSalad

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    NL is one of the class which can deal most single target damage during boss fight and the only weakness for this class is the health(require hp wash). So if you are removing the only weakness from this class, what is going to happen? I guess everyone knows the answer.

18. Crayo

Crayo Chronos

Oct 26, 2018
    Male
    10:55 AM
    I think what Lidas means is removing hp wash without providing some alternative, which would pretty much kill off NLs as they simply wouldn't be able to access a lot of endgame content.

19. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    the only difference for ranged classes will be that they will have harder time without hb. their damage might go down a little too but thats it.
    damage on single target isnt everything. every class has pros and cons. people will still choose other classes.
    although i do agree more balance between NL and other classes is needed.

or you mean the only people who choose warriors do so because they dont want to hp wash?

20. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    4th job too good? o.o new skills overtake old skills, this is true on most jobs but hmm think it as if it was pokemon. Wouldnt be too cool if your lv10 Charmander started with Fire Blast instead it learns Ember a worst attack but that for that point in the game is pretty good. Also, I bet all jobs use a non 4th job skill: All masteries and boosters, Magic Guard, Meso guard, Rage, HB, HS, Bless, Dispell, Door, All paladin charges, Teleport, Flash Jump, Shadow Partner, Meso Up, etc. Also, some jobs like Buccaneer use pretty much all of their skills cos all of them offer something different (only skill you get rid of is flash fist) Dark Knight is pretty much an upgrade but still pretty much kinda like 3rd job, shadower gets a lot from 3rd job too.
    The rest yeah like Kimberly said those are issues of the old Maple but I don't mind that I like how the game is mostly hehe and I still enjoy it after... don't know how much years it has been since beta lol.
    Washing is easier now tho we got rings, vote streak, and event ap resets I think we are good.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.