1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    4:13 PM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    EDIT:

For those who come to this thread to get an answer on "Why is Account Sharing Bad?". Here is a conclusion I gathered from the 160+ comments below:

Basically, account sharing alone is not bad, but because you are playing a MMO where competition and ranking involved, account sharing can easily break that aspect of the game.

We want MapleLegends to be a fair play ground for everyone. Taking a shortcut to get to the top of the rank by sharing accounts is unfair to those who invested in their time and effort solo.

If a game is designed to be played solo, you better follow the rule. If baseball is designed to be played with 9 players in a team on the field, you better not have 10 players on the field. Same thing applies to MapleLegends. Whoever designed this private server set a rule of "one player per account", so you gotta follow the rule. Otherwise you aren't qualified to play in this competitive scene. You are free to set your own rules on your private server however you like, but not here.

Also, other "illegal" actions, such as scamming, hacking, etc, are more likely to occur in a shared account because people would have the idea that "this character doesn't belong to me, so it doesn't matter what happen to it", or "I won't get caught because i am not the main owner of this character", so disallowing account sharing can save our staffs a lot of potential troubles.

P.s. Some people might think that sharing between siblings are fine, but I don't think there is an exception to that. It doesn't matter if you shared with your friends, family, or random strangers, account sharing is against the term of service in MapleLegends.

Original Post:

This is something that I couldn't get my head around. I know that hacking or vote abuse are unacceptable because you, as a player, take advantage in a way that's not part of the game. Maybe there are some things I missed or didn't thought about...

The way I look at account sharing is that multiple players spend their time, instead of on separate characters, on ONE character.

Here is an illustration: There are 3 players, 3 buckets (in-game characters), 3 cups (time). Each player has a cup filled with water, they can either all choose to pour their water into 1 bucket until it's full then move on to the next bucket, or they can pour their water into 1 bucket each. At the end, all three buckets will still be filled with water, it's only a matter of which one gets filled up first.

In fact, sharing account has its own disadvantages too...They are still getting the same amount of NX per day...they can't play together...there is no sense of ownership...etc.

Of course there are advantages too, such as faster progression, being able to get more out of an event on a single character, etc, but all these should be balanced with the disadvantages.

Any thought?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    12:13 AM
    Demure
    *waiting for Lionhearts reply*

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    11:13 PM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:13 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    lol I don't have much to say as of yet.

It's probably not allowed for the same reasons leech and dual-client shouldn't be allowed.. yet they are fine. That reason being keeping "competition" and the "rankings" "fair" ... as if it's some highly-regulated sports tournament.

And maybe to help prevent drama when someone inevitably steals another person's account.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    6:13 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    I think it has to do with the staff's unwillingness to deal with scenarios where people change passwords on their buckets characters. The fact that there is no ownership means in a large number of cases, someone gets the shaft.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:13 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Don't worry, it's allowed. It's only bannable if the staff doesn't like you TriHard

Edit: Just be careful not to get on Kim's bad side.

• Informative x 9
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Thanks for kicking me guys, now I can vote abuse and acc share all I want!

TriHard

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    4:13 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    In my opinion, its a stupid rule that's difficult to enforce fairly and properly. For example you could still "account share" if you are siblings using each others computer, since there is no way for the staff to tell you are using someone elses account if you are booting legends from the same computer (unless you publicly claim you are account sharing).

Instead of making this a ban worthy offence, the staff should just make players take full responsibility for any actions involving scams / hacking related to account sharing. But then again, this isn't my server, so I don't get to make the rules. However the staff wants to run their server is up to them. They make the rules and you follow them or risk getting banned.

• Like Like x 3
  9. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    7:13 PM
    Centaur & Chaste
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Serin

Serin Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    8:13 AM
    OnionF6[​IMG]

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  12. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    It's funny how fast people think that GMs deleted a post, wonder what that says about the censorship in forums OnionWhatever

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    yep you agree to the server's rules when you play it, if you can't reconcile the way things are and the way you want things, best thing is to leave (unfortunately)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Could always make a suggestion thread to remove that rule, I guess.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    hi

• Informative x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. Zyku

Zyku Stone Golem

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Zyku, Vulpix, Expert
    I/L Arch Mage
    Agape
    My thoughts on account sharing have always been as followed:

1) A character could be constantly trained every hour of every day until lv200 if the account is shared, where there could always be someone available to train at all times.

2) Would be a huge problem when it came to interactions with other players. Staff would have a hard time to know who was on the account at a specific time. Lets just use scamming another Legend player as an example. If player 1 of the account scammed someone than they could blame player 2 of the account and say it was not in their control. This could even be scamming within the shared account itself. This would be true with other ban-able offenses such as harassment.

Not sure if Legends has the same "sibling policy" that other servers have that allow siblings, with proof, to be put on a white list and be able to play from same computer or IP. However, this statement would also have to apply to a lot of Legends players who have multiple accounts. I have 3 accounts that I regularly am logged into from the same computer. There is no real way to know if I had a sibling playing on my computer or not...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Solstice
    hi

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. solbebe

solbebe Snail

Jul 26, 2017
    Male
    i'm still waiting for a serious response of why isnt it allowed ? i'd guess most people here are aware of the consequences of sharing their account with strangers? and how does that affect the gms if someone steals from them ? isnt it their responsibility?
    edit: also is it just only because people level faster or what ever ? I:

19. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    11:13 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hi all,

This seems to have picked up some traction, so we'll start with a reminder that account sharing is indeed a bannable offense; see below:
    Creating an account involves the act of accepting the legal terms and conditions of service, which involves this account sharing section; regardless of whether you agree with it on principle or not, accounts are intended to a personal and non-transferable.

My preferred analogy for this is the single-driver policy for cars: while you're able to physically hand your keys to another driver, any damage caused is your liability, as there's no way to verify the driver at the time. This also ties into the fact that shared accounts are more often responsible for breaking other points of the terms of service (botting, vote abuse, scamming, etc.) over standard accounts, and also a drastically higher rate for being 'hacked'.

You are solely responsible for all activity on your account, and the 14-day suspension on solely account-sharing users is considered a warning ban. This is the standard when it comes to account sharing in online titles, especially where purchasing, trading, and selling of accounts is a possibility.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    What do you mean? The staff treats everyone on this server fairly and impartially.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1