1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Maple Legends?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xAznAce, May 19, 2017.

1. xAznAce

xAznAce Master Chronos

May 19, 2017
    Male
    Encounter with Buddha
    1:52 AM
    Jyugo
    Chief Bandit
    Unworthy
    Hello guys,

My name is Andrew and I decided to try out maple after quitting it back in around 2008. Given that the real game is garbage, I decided to try one of the old school servers. Now my question to you is, other than the lower rates, what sets you apart from Maple Royals?

This is an honest question, I am not messing around. I simply want to make sure I pick the best server. So far the differences I know are:
    - Royals has a slightly bigger player base
    - Legends has (imo) better rates
    - Quests on Royals are buggy as hell

I look forward to the response from you guys!

Happy mapling!

2. Heps

Heps Slimy

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    12:52 AM
    Defender
    Two completely different servers, you can't even begin to compare. Legends is well coded in the first place, and Administration actually cares

• Like Like x 7
  3. Krauser94

Krauser94 Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Krauser94
    Shadower
    Nebula
    I can't talk about other servers because this is my first (and only) private server, but my opinion is the following.

I love the lower rates, they are cool (maybe im a sadist, but im not alone it seems XD). About the quests, they are working really really good, they are very clean.

The server itself works perfectly fine, besides some weird lag rarely, but meh...

And finally, what you need to judge is the community, which imo, this one is friendly as hell (in a a huge amount)

I hope those fsat answers are helping you to decide SlimeGrin

• Like Like x 6
  4. Luo Bin

Luo Bin Orange Mushroom

Feb 23, 2017
    康定
    Pok Gai
    Bowmaster
    Aeon
    I really dislike seeing that Legends is always being compared to Royals, but Royals never compared to legends.
    But to answer your question, from experience is that Legends is a way closer community. Even KimberlyKimberly communicates with the players of Legends in game, she takes time to give you a buff once or twice a day and cares about it. Royals is treating it more like a business. The Royals staff doesn't care that you missed a GM buff from crashing. So if you want a more welcomed feeling, Legends is the better option. Also, Legends is in my opinion keeping it real. They don't hand out 50 Chaos scrolls a day to players, they keep it challenging in comparison to Royals.

For Royals on the other hand, if you're someone who prefers the quicker grind, isn't biased to go over a challenge and likes to have more character customization options, you're better off in Royals. But then again, don't expect the GM's to care about your well being like they do here.

Edit: I would also like to add that playing Royals made me a little paranoid. You can get banned for calling someone a noob. No I'm not kidding. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to proof this with links to Royals, but if I am feel free to ask for them.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Jinga

Jinga Red Snail

Feb 17, 2017
    Female
    If you are Neckson hoe like me, Legends have available new hair styles and quite a lot of updated nx clothes for free, while in Royals you would have to donate.. sadly. Also they have interesting maps you can mess around in e.g : Shanghai, Thailand, Malaysia, Ximending, Night Market. I would recommend reading this thread as well : https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/maplelegends-features.2027/
    And Legends have more players online atm than royals (which is kinda dead) so if you want something more active NOW then yeah go with Legends.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:52 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The better question to ask would be what sets Royals apart from all the other "nostalgic" servers out there.. aside from it's population.

Edit: wait, so if royals has less players than us too, how is their vote count so high? :cautious:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jinga

Jinga Red Snail

Feb 17, 2017
    Female
    People don't play now they just voting and waiting for server to be fully fixed ( might take few more months) . But game is basically dead maybe 3-10 ppl in fm.

8. Jinga

Jinga Red Snail

Feb 17, 2017
    Female
    Wait ! I forgot you can't even create account or new character in Royals, what we even talking about here :roflmao:

9. OP
    OP
    xAznAce

xAznAce Master Chronos

May 19, 2017
    Male
    Encounter with Buddha
    Jyugo
    Chief Bandit
    Unworthy
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I have been convinced to play legends. See you all in the FM :)

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:52 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    We're comparing this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  11. OP
    OP
    xAznAce

xAznAce Master Chronos

May 19, 2017
    Male
    Encounter with Buddha
    Jyugo
    Chief Bandit
    Unworthy
    I drive a beatle. Coincidence? I think not.

• Like Like x 4
  12. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    Royals is just pure and utter shit. There playerbase is Full of SJW nazi's and a joke is not allowed, if that server dies today it's already too late.

Forgot to add that the staff and players here are actually cool and helpfull.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Qanu

Qanu Stone Golem

May 16, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands, EU
    HammerSlam
    White Knight
    GodDuckness
    I remember the 1st time playing on RoyalMS, which was at some anniversary event. I died over and over at beginner island since they just added those brown cake mobs around, that pretty much 1hit-kill you upon touch.
    Plus it felt... commercial? MapleF12 I dunno, but it didn't really felt like it very newbie friendly aside from somesort of "starter pack". I ditched it as soon as possible and got to this server xD

14. Howell

Howell Red Snail

Feb 1, 2017
    Male
    New York City
    7:52 PM
    Fool
    Captivate
    I used to play Royals before coming here. It's run like a business. And even among the players, leech is sold everywhere and no one PQs or grinds like we do here in Legends. People are voting for Royals but they aren't playing. It's buggy. And besides, I play on a Mac and they removed the Mac client.

I feel more at ease being here at Legends. It's very easy to level in Royals, so it felt zombie-like just flying through the levels. White scrolls and chaos scrolls were handed out easily, so people get rich quick and there's a huge disconnect. People care more about HP washing and leveling than making friends, so it seems. You can't step into a map without someone telling you to get the hell out. In Legends, I've gained all of my friends through PQs and teaming up to grind.

Royals was cool. But Legends is more nostalgic for me.

• Like Like x 8
  15. DaanOnMaple

DaanOnMaple Red Snail

May 21, 2017
    Male
    Mint07
    Bowman
    -
    I thought so too, but when for example I wanted to trade fame for defame this wasn't possible (kind of weird but I guess collecting fame and being mainstream isn't the worst). But that is not where it ends, once I got to level 36 I went to do the "Assembling a Toy" quest. When finished I did not get the reward I was looking for. After some asking around apparently the quest reward got removed because jr balrogs were abused a while back. Still don't really get the correlation but oh well.
    Dont get me wrong the server is amazing and I have enjoyed every minute spent so far, but the constant spam of gachapon items and lvl 10's job advancing is not really nostalgic to me. Its an amazing game but hard to compare to real old maple..
    Im not saying this isnt what is best/what we want, but maybe nostalgic isnt the right word.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  16. Howell

Howell Red Snail

Feb 1, 2017
    Male
    New York City
    7:52 PM
    Fool
    Captivate
    Not sure about your quests and defame situation and whatnot, but I've been playing the past few days and haven't seen a constant spam of Gachapon notifications. The rate of obtaining legendary items is low.

Also, seeing level 10 job advancements means that there are more players joining, or people are creating new characters. That's what we want.

17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    For the fame type @fame in-game.

As for summoning bags they did nothing but cause negativity, but worse people kept dump them in beginner maps, beginner shops, 1st job advance maps, basically rendering new players unable to play.

They were cool in GMS, but that's it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    kinda reminds me on some cakes and candel mobs ;)
    but even still, it was funny to deal with does mobs kinda added a tiny stealth mode into the whole 1 town to the next town action xd

from my time in royals and legends i can just say one thing.
    gms actully try to help. they hear you out, they reply to you if you use @gm and have a problem.
    Even if they are unable to help you, they come by and look what the problem was. (pq tickets out of map kpq^^)
    sometimes they just randomly pop up next you inside of a boat, sudden seduce xD

even though the start is hard since you going to run out of potions fast its getting better when you get used to it <3

in royals everything is so cold when you interact with them, than be carefull of white knights.
    a friend of me raged quitted because of manon. he spent 4h waiting for one and of course someone came by and stole it.
    when he posted it, not only wasnt he heard since some information was missing the girl complained about him,
    how angry he became when she attacking manon, since she didnt know ksing was a thing (over level 140+)
    at the end he got a 3 day bann for harrasment and he never went on ever since...

if i were in your shoes i would skip royal in a hearthbeat, you really dont want to expierience something like that.

19. Shaughn

Shaughn King Slime

May 6, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    7:52 AM
    Shaughn
    Crusader
    Hogwarts
    I used to be a pro-Royals kinda person (huge fan of Royals), and back then I honestly thought that I had found the perfect private server to reminisce the nostalgia. Too bad my love for Royals didn't last long. I played Royals for around 2 years. Instead of me just giving you exactly what this server has to offer, i might as well just compare it with Royals. I am going to be as frank as possible with you based on my experience.

Let me start off with the GMs. Some GMs from Royals are very dedicated, but there are some who are (overly) self-righteous and to a large extent, hypocritical. They treat some abuse cases very lightly (possible if some of their friends happen to be involved in it, though not all the time), and they can be very harsh on those who they find annoying. There is NO consistency in their judgements and in the punishments they set out on different offenders, when their offences are largely similar (it's not about A's first offence vs B's second offence, in case you wanna rebut my point). Have I mentioned they are EXTREMELY arrogant? I understand that sometimes GMs have a huge backlog of abuse cases to handle, and that it may be very tiring to deal with them on a day-to-day basis. But I believe that every abuse case is an individual case that needs explanation from the GMs as to why it's wrong etc, rather than just giving remarks that are filled with snark. Very very unprofessional if you ask me. BUT this applies to only some of the GMs there. Also, I start to think that they are VERY selective with regards to choosing which issue to handle first. Assuming you face an issue and you need to ~gm (or in Legends' context, @gm), they will get back to you when they only feel like it. I'm aware that we cannot expect the GMs to come to our needs right away. But i know for a fact that there is a certain selectiveness in which issue they wanna handle first. Your issue might be solved much much later, or (usually) NOT solved at all.

By contrast however, my experience with the GMs here is a completely different one. But before I go on about the GMs here, I'm often known as being very critical in my comments, i.e. I don't praise people that easily. But I believe Legends' GMs are worthy of praise. They come to your needs as soon as they can and they're extremely friendly. I can easily dare anyone to dispute this fact (with evidence of course) that the GMs are rude/ unprofessional. I don't think I have much to say about the GMs here, since they are pretty much the kind of GMs we get but don't deserve :( So kudos!

As for the community as a whole, the Legends community has been nothing but the best (except for an extremely small minority, which exists in every community). I started Legends with basically nothing and i admit, it is hard to buy pots sometimes due to the low drop rate, as compared to Royals. BUT the people in Legends were always quick to give whatever they could to new players. And if anything, this IS also part of the nostalgia that Royals failed to display, considering the fact that their community is infused with toxicity - people who report for the sake of reporting, and there is a strong sense of elitism in Royals which kinda splits the community. This one (Legends), however, is a more close-knitted one, and everyone (based on my experienced) is so quick so say "hi" or "hello" if you happen to bump into them in an isolated map. And even if you were to trade them asking for mesos, they don't just cancel trade like Royals. They either give, or say that they needed the mesos themselves, but regardless, it always ends with a "good luck" or "happy mapling" or "have a great day". I'm not saying that in order for a community to be a good one, one must give mesos whenever asked. I'm just saying, you don't just cancel trade or ignore without any explanation whatsoever. (unless you're being intentionally harassed of course).

As for the technicalities of the game (which I'm not so sure of, due to my lack of knowledge in this regard), I would say it has lesser bugs compared to Royals. But this is as far as I can comment. you can read other people's comments on this bit.

tl;dr: Legends > Royals, in basically EVERY aspect.

(and no, I'm not banned from Royals, in case you're wondering why I'm taking this stance. I quit Royals at my own discretion and based on my judgement alone hehe)

Sorry for my unstructured prose. I'm very sleepy but I thought I wanted to give my 2 cents based on how I feel. I apologise if I offend anyone in the process as it is certainly not my intention. I am however open to rebuttals! :)

Cheers!

• Like Like x 6
  20. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    can u bring them back tho

• Like Like x 6