1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

This is NOT math

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Isuzu, May 22, 2016.

1. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    11:43 PM
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    What I'm getting at is that yes, dummy scrolling is somewhat pointless because how can one predict what the program dictates the random sequence unless we were staring at the code itself doing work. I'm largely unconvinced by its effectiveness and consistency. I WILL say that I've tried it ONCE, and it's a decent way to not have your items blown up consistently (I scrolled a cent with only 30%s and dummies. No boom). But it's not a foolproof method as individual scrolling is a single episodic event. If this were a thing, GMS and KMS would've snuffed it out and banned it from the game.

2. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    Rather than a coin toss method, a raffle is a lot more of an accurate simulation of what maplestory scrolling is like.

3. dumbledore

dumbledore Capt. Latanica

Oct 11, 2015
    Male
    Hogwarts
    6:43 AM
    dumbledore
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If the game were to be fair then the game should draw from a Bernoulli distribution with chance p (with p being 10% for 10% scrolls, for example). Dont know if that is the case. =)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:43 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    All random numbers generated by computer algorithm are not truly random. The trick is to make the algorithm so complex and hide all relevant information from the users, so that they cannot predict it and thus it seems "random".

If the RNG is any good, I doubt that dummy scrolling has much effect.

But then again, when it comes to equip drops, I could swear your chances for item drop fluctuates noticeably when you change channels or maps...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    I wonder if there are ways to confirm these theories...perhaps they might work. But then again, I scrolled an 11 att yellow marker in ch1 Kerning and 16 INT robe in broad daylight in ch1 FM. I dunno.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Does broad daylight mean using dummy scrolling or not?

FYI, any hacker could potentially modify their packets in front of other players, and they'd be none the wiser. So having a bunch of witnesses to see you scroll doesn't necessarily prove anything.

7. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    Like scrolled in a crowded FM. Sorry for colloquial language

8. dumbledore

dumbledore Capt. Latanica

Oct 11, 2015
    Male
    Hogwarts
    dumbledore
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Of course there is a small "error", since it is a computer code, but this error is really small if it is a good code. Would be fun to actually see what maple uses.

About fluctuating drop rates when switching channel.. I used to believe in that as well but it is just superstition =)

9. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    RNG. 100% luck, no skill or anything involved.

10. OP
    OP
    Isuzu

Isuzu Timer

Mar 22, 2016
    Male
    Australia
    5:43 AM
    lsuzu/Isuzu
    Magician, Thief
    OppaiHeaven
    Oh my god cant believe i did those horrible math last year :(:(

11. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    7:43 AM
    Kotone, JellyFish, Yesterday, ApplePi
    Beginner, Islander, I/L Wizard, Bandit
    This is how statistics work. It's like how with birth you have a 50% chance of having a boy and 50% chance of having a girl, yet some people have 10 kids and they're all the same sex.
    The chance of success is individual for each time you scroll. If you use a 60% scroll for example, you have 10x numbers that can be chosen, and 6x of them will mean you succeed. Then a random number is generated and if it's one of those 6x your scroll works. If it isn't, it doesn't work.
    This is why dummy scrolls don't work, and you can scroll 100 times and there is no guarantee 60% of them will work.
    It is math, you just misunderstood it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    7:43 AM
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    10% will be 10%
    30% will be 30%
    60% will be 60%
    70% will be 70%
    Its just how this shit goes.

13. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Yea I was about to say..
    The chances doesn't stack, with every single 10% scroll you have a 10% chance to pass it, if you fail it because of the 90%, the next scroll will still have a 10% to pass and 90% to fail.

14. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Pretty sure PRNG is based on binomial distribution. You can do all kind of maths on how your actions will give you better or worse results. At some degree, you can certainly predict outcomes using chance theory. It's all solid maths right there.

But that is only accurate if your actions are the only thing that affect the distribution. Which is not the case here. The generator you use, uses the same state as someone else in game. Which makes it so that other people have an effect on your results. You simply can not apply any theories unless you would know every instance where the generator is used.

15. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    There are times when I succeed half of my 60%'s scrolls (as I experienced with horrible results...) whereas I landed 7-8 scrolls in a row in succession on another day (hooray for 18STR/7DEX overalls!) But in any case, each scroll used is a separate phenomenon and it has not been a properly investigated (or cannot be investigated) matter.

16. cscpx

cscpx Timer

May 17, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    12:43 AM
    cscpx
    Priest
    Animals
    I've had some good luck with 30%'s and I've boomed more equips with 70%'s lol

60's have been 50/50 for me, and 10%'s have been pretty good too.

Depends on the randomness. When I fail 2 30s, I feel better that the 3rd one will work.

Sometimes if 1 does work on the first try, I'll try to luck it and get a 2nd one on there.

Go by feel !