1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

DXwnd - Start MapleStory Windowed

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kimmy, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:08 PM
    Moderator Post
    MAKE SURE YOU RUN DXWND AS ADMINISTRATOR

A few people in past asked if there's a way to run MapleStory windowed immediately without going full screen first.

Client wise probably not, but I did find out that dxwnd that was originally made for v55 and below (before Window mode was officially supported) still works fine, and you can even make the window bigger, so basically also resolves the issue of some people with huge screens hating the small window!

Screenshots (made from Windows 10):

1) Regular window mode:
    [​IMG]

2) Slightly bigger:
    [​IMG]

3) Full screen windowed (double click the window twice):
    [​IMG]

Download: Click
    Virus scan: Click

The ini contains the settings which currently defaults to default directory of MapleLegends (C:\MapleLegends\MapleLegends.exe). If you use a custom directory you need edit the .ini and point Legends to where Legends is at.

To make the screen bigger just drag and drop at top left corner like you make other windows bigger. For some reason it doesn't work on bottom right.

Known issue(s): After exiting the game from dxwnd the game does not close correctly, and also make you resolution small again (Windows 8/10). Go to task manager and kill MapleLegends.exe
    ------------------
    I got a few times ''Failed in finding proper screen mode for Gr2D" however this is fixed if I re-named MapleLegends.exe different for some reason. If you get this try do just that. Make sure you also change the name in dxwnd or else it can't find the file!
    -------------
    If you make the window smaller than intended, you will have issues with the mouse. You can no longer reach the whole screen before the window is out of the game, thus no longer functions.
    --------------
    Closing just the dxwnd window crashes the game since it can no longer window properly.
    --------------
    Untested stuff: I doubt it but maybe this helps with GFX since Maple is run differently. There's also different DirextX options in the settings but I didn't play with it too much yet. It currectly runs as Directx8. I also lack a machine that has GFX issues.

MAKE SURE YOU RUN DXWND AS ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Boltasar

Boltasar Red Snail

Aug 4, 2015
    It seems that DxWND is still actively being developed. I was having lag issues with the version you uploaded, but after downloading the newest version I could find on sourceforge I not only didn't have those issues anymore, but also had more features to work with like locking window size or terminating program when I do close the window. Is it maybe worth it to update the tutorial a bit?

3. flashblaize

flashblaize Chronos

Feb 25, 2017
    Male
    Germany
    promisQ
    F/P Arch Mage
    Does not work for me tho :( It still starts in fullscreen

4. samsam563

samsam563 Blue Snail

Jun 15, 2017