1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can an MMORPG stay in business without cash gamble items?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FireMushroom, Aug 14, 2017.

1. FireMushroom

FireMushroom Horny Mushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    5:39 PM
    For instance, no more lottery like sales or RNG item mall boxes. If a game only had fashion in its cash shop would that be good enough?

2. Marc Antony

Marc Antony Master Chronos

Mar 24, 2016
    Male
    2:39 PM
    Reagan
    Shadower
    Brave
    I mean anything is possible, lol, but just having fashion in your CS isn't practical especially how demanding MMOs are these days. Servers are more and more expensive and that means you need to play your fanbase with gambling addictions in order to pay rent.

3. NoAvatarYet

NoAvatarYet Mano

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    9:39 AM
    Thief
    Beginner
    That's a very interesting question, do games that are F2P all have P2W options in any fashion?

4. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    6:39 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Most if not all modern F2P games incorporate P2W aspects such as microtransactions, boosts, etc because unlike P2P games that have a stable flow of revenue if their playerbase can be retained, companies that create or host F2P titles require those means of generating revenue to to answer to their employees, partners, and shareholders for the common reason which is income and profits.
    This is not withstanding other necessary costs such as the maintenance, rent, etc that reduces gross income.

---
    On the topic itself, i would say no as MMORPGs of this scale like MS will not be able to generate enough income to sustain its business solely on cosmetics because of the extremely low percentage of paying players against the entire playerbase.

5. NoAvatarYet

NoAvatarYet Mano

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    Thief
    Beginner
    So the simple answer is no?

6. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    11:39 PM
    Beginner
    I believe your quite wrong in that statement. Servers are getting cheaper and cheaper, it's just that hosting games are getting more and more demanding.

7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    11:39 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    A new F2P action rpg named Dauntless is coming out soon and they supposedly won't have any pay2win (paid cosmetics only).

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can make a profit. I think it should be possible as long as you can provide a quality experience and get people hooked.

8. NoAvatarYet

NoAvatarYet Mano

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    Thief
    Beginner
    Seems like speculation atm, but if they actually attempt to make long-term profits from paid cosmetic items it should be interesting to see how that strategy works for them.

9. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    6:39 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    I'm quite a negative person so in the realities of this industry, getting people hooked is always a good start but the biggest hurdle is turning them into paying players to sustain the business.
    Though i am intrigued on their business model too if that's what they are following up with and will pay some attention to how they progress.

10. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    7:39 AM
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    I hope this business model works, or they adapt if it doesn't - because this game looks awesomeeeeee. So hyped for it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SaiyanGod

SaiyanGod Mano

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    2:39 PM
    XSaiyanGodX
    Marauder
    Motive
    they could probably run if they made good outfits and kept pumping outfits in updates. but the problem is that without the p2w RNG element, companies cannot make MAD BANK. So in the short run, probably yeah they could stay in business but in the long run, probably not. unless you make a really good game that keeps players playing with a fun and engaging end game element(like LoL. i know its not an MMO but theres no p2w exactly aside from i guess IP boosts and exp boosts, skins are just cosmetics. Also theres no real end game factor)