1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are most spearman pure spear here?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by alchemy, Oct 30, 2017.

1. alchemy

alchemy Slime

Oct 13, 2017
    Male
    9:46 AM
    Since OG maple and every other server I've played, its been pretty unanimous that doing the hybrid route is the best call for a few reasons:

Polearms and polearm scrolls are cheap as shit.

With power strike/slash you swing 2/3 of the time, and stab 1/3 of the time. Polearms do 125% damage swinging and 75% damage stabbing, and reverse for spear. If my calculations are correct, then a spear will always be doing only about 84% of the damage an equivalent WA/attack speed polearm.

Those two combined, you're likely to be able to make a way better PA than you would a spear for the same amount of money and you'll just do more damage using a PA due to the mechanics.

Second job you have more than enough points to get mastery and booster for both.

Can someone explain to my why all of a sudden I come to this server and everyone i see is using spear 2nd job? I tried doing spear in my second job following the guide on here, and instantly regretted it when my swings do under 1k but my stabs do 2k+

2. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    12:46 PM
    Because at third job crusher is 100% stab and does more damage to single target than fury.
    Thus most people enjoy bossing more than grinding.

While polearm is better at lower levels, i would consider spear to be the better option late game.

If you can't choose you can always choose to go hybrid.

3. OP
    OP
    alchemy

alchemy Slime

Oct 13, 2017
    Male
    9:46 AM
    Yeah, thats what I'm asking though, why does pretty much every spearman i see on here go pure spear and gimp their damage substantially until 3rd job in which even then fury is more effective with polearm. I understand that spear is the end-game/bossing ideal no question.

4. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    12:46 AM
    Crusader
    Methinks spears look prettier.

But that aside... I'm no spearman (the most I've done is jump around in FM with an Omega Spear), but I suppose it's possible to grind with Crusher at maps where there are fewer but stronger mobs. Or maybe some people just leech and boss so they don't do much grinding.

5. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    cuz we aint polearm-men. cot dam it, were spear-men
    also it cant be spear-women, cuz girls are gross and they have cooties, or so ive heard...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jase

Jase Mixed Golem

May 18, 2017
    Male
    Brampton, ON
    Forever
    Assassin
    Legacy
    cuz there's a dumb guide on this forum by an og dk that said hybrid is "not bad" and "pointless after 120" disregarding the fact that it is much better than spear 1-120 and if you distribute your SP correctly, you won't cuck your spear skills in 4th job at all...

Hybrid is the obvious choice if you do the math on SP and understand why iron will and dragon blood are useless..

• Agree Agree x 4