1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bishop boring?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Selderijstok, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Selderijstok

Selderijstok Red Snail

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Belgium
    9:53 AM
    Selderijstok
    Magician
    Hi all

I'm new and just started playing yesterday.
    I've been looking around trying to find some more information on jobs/classes, so that I have a general idea what to expect from each class and in which direction I'd like to go.
    In most RPG's, if not all, I'm leaning towards thief or assassin of some sort.
    Since I've always picked that sort of class, I wanted to do something different in MapleLegends this time.
    One class that I have some interest in is mage, and more specifically bishop.
    I've read the "choosing the right class" guide on this forum and noted that bishop was deemed "ridiculously boring for most payers".
    Now I do know it's mostly about preference, but I would like to know where this comes from.
    What is the reason that seems to make bishop boring for some or even a lot of players?

2. Heps

Heps Slimy

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    8:53 AM
    Defender
    After you hit level 120 and get genesis, all you do is Skelegon grind pressing one button and repot, thats why maybe a lot of players say "its boring". Bishop is a unique class with a benefit of HS and Holy Shield which helps at bossing. Choosing the right class is of course up to you, but to get started on messos and possibly leech your main its a good idea to start as a bishop, but if your not bothered and dedicated any class will be fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kaylex

Kaylex Brown Teddy

Jul 14, 2017
    Female
    3:53 PM
    Bluex
    Bishop
    Even before 120, you'll probably be spending most of your time at gs2 holding down the heal button (but tbh we all miss hanging out at gs2 after you out-level the map cos you don't use any pots there and it's pretty brainless), so if you're into hitting all the buttons on your keyboard and stuff like that then yeah a bishop will be boring to you. Also it's quite painful to get through lvls 110-120 until you get genesis, but if you have friends to party with I'd say being a bishop is fun!! Esp when you are the one who gets to res people hehe :>

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Awleh

Awleh Mr. Anchor

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Norway
    Awleh
    Chief Bandit, Shadower
    Demure
    Its braindead. No skills or gear required.

Just patience and time.

5. Jase

Jase Mixed Golem

May 18, 2017
    Male
    Brampton, ON
    3:53 AM
    Forever
    Assassin
    Legacy
    I played town of salem while using a 3 heal skill macro:
    [​IMG]
    I don't really find the class boring. It's always fun competing for the best leech EPMs and whatnot, and having money all the time from selling leech/farming gobies is its own kind of fun.

6. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    Incredibly boring yes. Awful if you play to have fun, only good at making money. If you play Bitchop your goal should be to fund an attacker. That's the only purpose this trash class has. Mages in this game in 4th in general is complete and utter GARBAGE to play.

Cheers

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Selderijstok

Selderijstok Red Snail

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Belgium
    Selderijstok
    Magician
    Thanks guys!
    I found a poll and some about class distribution.
    Seems like a lot of people actually play cleric.
    I'm also suprised there are so few F/P mages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Qanu

Qanu Stone Golem

May 16, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands, EU
    HammerSlam
    White Knight
    GodDuckness
    That's because clerics are the most money making class in the game and F/P mages are kinda "hard" in 2nd job and have no real bossing skills later on, but are pretty much one of the best grinders in 3rd due to poison mist. But it's like everyone said, cleric/bishops don't really do anything besides standing in a good spot and press heal/shining ray/genesis and buff from time to time when grinding and get the blame when people die in pq.
    If you really want it, just try and see yourself. Clerics are the one and only support class so getting in a (training)party is ezpz.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Raemi

Raemi Horny Mushroom

Jul 22, 2017
    Female
    Raemi
    Bishop
    Animals
    F/P and I/L are great if youre looking to play a class where all you'll be doing is selling leech and/or leeching your future attacker.
    Since they can 1 hit petris, they can sell their leech for much more than a Bishop can.
    However, benefits of a bishop is that you're highly desired as a training partner for any other class.
    Bossing needs bishops for their HS/heal/dispel/holy shield/ and importantly: their ress.
    I honestly enjoy playing a bishop a lot.

But there's pretty much no downfall to picking a bishop class.
    If you find it boring, you can self leech your next character at a faster rate. And the money you earn from selling leech can be used towards your next character.
    Also all the gear you buy will be int gear, which will be useful for hp washing your next character!

ALL PROS!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    It's similar to how some people in League of Legends find supports to be boring, since they don't do damage.
    However they are great at what they do which is being useful in both bossing and training/leeching.
    Having a great AOE in genesis to train and farm for items, while having useful skills for bossing.

What they lack is just DPM to successfully solo bosses, which people find them "boring".
    However it's really dependent on the player, some people really enjoy the class itself and some people force themselves to make one to fund themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jase

Jase Mixed Golem

May 18, 2017
    Male
    Brampton, ON
    Forever
    Assassin
    Legacy
    I forced myself to make one to fund my NL and ended up enjoying it :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. imadde

imadde Mixed Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Sauron/Login/Play.
    Bishop
    Demure
    I dont want to be all negative and shit, but pretty much all Classes are braindead and do the same things, some are just better at certain things , bossing , farming and so on. Me personaly think bishops are kinda fun to play since i like to farm stuff and make money while i wach a movie.
    In the end maplestory is just a braindead game wich requires no skill whatsoever, its pretty much who have the most freetime = win.

13. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Bishops are fun for people who enjoy standing in one spot, clicking one button for eternity to farm lots of money. This applies from level 30 to 200 pretty much.

If you enjoy an active playstyle it'll be boring af yes. But one cannot deny its extreme importance in bossing and usefulness in funding/leeching your secondary attacker characters.

14. imadde

imadde Mixed Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Sauron/Login/Play.
    Bishop
    Demure
    But all the other Classes pretty much stand in same Spot aswell. Only differece is they lvl via bossing.

15. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Not warriors, shads and buccs

Also for clerics the "stand in one spot" life begins a lot earlier than bowmen, assassins and gunslingers.

Not gonna debate that most classes are braindead to play in the grand scheme of things, as a Paladin I just stand near zakum and put my finger on Blast for 20-30 minutes to kill. Only the pirate classes kinda have mechanics they need to master when they boss

16. OP
    OP
    Selderijstok

Selderijstok Red Snail

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Belgium
    Selderijstok
    Magician
    So basically you make a bishop first to farm money.
    That probably explains the high number of bishops.

17. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    nah people play bishop, because its the most fun class, and you feel important when helping others, and also for religious reasons OnionListen
    also as a priest youre allowed to touch little bo...Onionthehehe

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. OP
    OP
    Selderijstok

Selderijstok Red Snail

Nov 2, 2017
    Male
    Belgium
    Selderijstok
    Magician
    I hadn't considered that benefit before OnionSmart

19. mazi

mazi Mushmom

Aug 23, 2017
    Male
    Soundcloud
    12:53 AM
    mazi
    Beginner
    You need to be super aware of what you're doing as a Shadower too if you're trying to do optimal DPS when bossing
    Can't just hold down Assasinate as the macro sometime (often) lags