1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Updated Scroll prices (new guide with user enterable info)

Discussion in 'Items & Mesos' started by Ciffy, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    7:16 PM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    i actually started looking at this a bit, and checked on some prices. its pretty accurate and i think its cool people post when they buy stuff to keep everyone in the loop. just glad there arent any people trolling super hard. looks cool! and tbh, no disrespect but the old scroll scroll (after piety's) it wasnt that great and confusing :p sometimes its better to just browse through the fm and find the prices.

2. tinusterror

tinusterror Orange Mushroom

Oct 24, 2017
    Male
    The netherlands
    4:16 AM
    tinusTTerror
    I/L Wizard
    horny
  3. tinusterror

Oct 24, 2017
    Male
    The netherlands
    tinusTTerror
    I/L Wizard
    horny
    hey i already noticed some ppl added outrages and weird high prices, maybe u should make a option to report a fake entry or something, or check it from time to time to remove the entry's that are way off
    for the rest its an awesome guid, been telling my guildies to visit it !!!

4. OP
    OP
    Ciffy

Ciffy King Slime

Oct 22, 2017
    Male
    10:16 PM
    Ciffy
    Paladin
    ImaWhaleOroO
    I go through every day or two and pull out any single digits and I try to catch stuff that seems out of place, but i can't see it all. Shoot me a PM here or on discord or something if you see something. I can certainly clean it up. Still trying to process how to remove stuff from the front end without it getting messy.

5. Timan1

Timan1 Mushmom

Nov 21, 2017
    2:16 AM
    Night Lord
    This concept is nice,but it allows the market to be manipulated by everyone. therefore the additional prices should be previewed by you (or staff) and confirmed with owls. keeping the market stable and avoiding noob-trades is an important part of holding a successful server (I think we all saw that after C++'s guide),therefore i think a staff should be in charge of updating this price check list as they can generate as many owls as they please and also to avoid manipulation of the market by the creator himself,

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  6. Angbak

Angbak Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    10:16 AM
    Angbak
    Bishop
    If the market is manipulated by everyone, the prices are more than likely to be correct since I take it that most ppl will report the correct price. I think what you mean is that the market can be manipulated by ANYONE.

Staffs shouldn't be allowed to generate as many owls as they want as they have non-gm accounts too. By using as many owls as they want, it can be considered abuse of power (owling their own stuff)

If the prices are vetted only by the owner, then there is a possibility of the owner manipulating the prices him/herself.

I've had a look at the scroll guide, there's a few entries that are off or not present. Another issue is that there aren't sufficient data for some of the fields (helm int 70, single entry for 1.5m, eye int 30, 3 entries for 4m, 4.5m, 10m)

The problems with the guide that I've seen so far are as below.

1. Insufficient people submitting prices for scrolls

2. There isn't an approximate price for all scrolls

3. Anonymous data entry

4. Trolls in the future

Suggestions:

1. Do what c++ did and look through ALL the scroll prices for a couple of days in order to have a base line

2. Usernames should use IGNs that can be found under rankings that are > level 50 (or some moderate levels, if there is a blatant mistake, at least dm-ing the person is possible)

3. Have a report function or at least a "suspicious" rating

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Timan1

Timan1 Mushmom

Nov 21, 2017
    Night Lord
    EVERYONE can manipulate the market,not EVERYONE will,but EVERYONE sure can.
    saying "I take that most people will report the correct price" is relying on probability and luck.
    Also, I trust GMs to be trustworthy to not "abuse their power" and even if they do,they are forced to share this information with the whole server in this thread, that means everyone gets the same knowledge about scrolls which doesn't give GMs that have non-gm accounts an advantage.
    Registering with "ranking" IDs can be used to troll certain players,for example i call my self Angbak and report GFAs 60% to be 5mil,you'll get whispered for that so whats the point?

Making such a thread as C++'s will take ALOT of time (not even to mentioning updating this thread as prices change)for a regular player, and since a price guide is an essential factor for a stable and non-abusable market, it should not be in the hands of a regular community player,but a mod/gm/staff.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    If anything I only see this as a worse thing; one of the reasons I have suggested Piety to stop his guide when he became a staff member. When a staff member is the one that does the price stuff it means its seen as 'official' and 'corrected' which is not always what those guides are. A guide is a guide which means you can follow it at own risk. This applies here and this applied at C++'s thread.

We do not have any official guides for the FM, as the FM is something that is actually ran by the community. They buy everything, they sell everything, they suggest everything, not the GM's.

Its why we stay out of the market besides balancing things if we feel something is off (Gachapon rates, drop rates, etc...)

As of why C++'s thread was removed then, its simply because the guide was no longer providing up-to-date info, which is not what the guide section is about.

You are still free to use C++'s guide, but we no longer officially provide it on the forums.

9. tinusterror

Oct 24, 2017
    Male
    The netherlands
    tinusTTerror
    I/L Wizard
    horny
    yea i agreee, so u kinda can use the not up to dat guide off c++ in combination with the new price guide, so u can make a balanced disicion of what scrolls are valuable and whats not, and try to use the new guide to make ur price more accurat

10. Danny07

Danny07 Pink Teddy

Dec 18, 2016
    Male
    MrRogers
    Priest
    CiffyCiffy This is my feedback of it:

COSMETICS: The color coded chart and use of various font sizes and bolds of C++'s guide made it easier to follow. Since your guide is table based -- would you tweak those? Need a team? Need help?

ERRORS: I need a way to remove my own error. The other day I accidentally posted a price on it when I should not have done it. While putting scrolls up in my shop and looking up prices -- I got confused and posted my ASKING price on your website. I then immediately realized that I only am supposed to put the 'SOLD' price but could not find a way to remove my mistake. At least in this case I was honest and put my actual IGN in there (MrRogers) (there... I snitched on myself boo hoo hoo).

ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS/FEATURES:
    I want a function that lists/calc's the average price point and standard deviation of the listing an item (I believe adding a row with this function is possible, no?); It is what made C++ so appealing for me.

I enjoy the feature "Last few entries"; it's almost like getting a free owl service in a way ~~ . So thank you for that!

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Please don't get discouraged! This is a revolutionary idea and it COULD work!! It is basically C++'s google docs guide but has the feature of seeing the sales trend through individual postings due to the timestamps. I think you could even auto-generate a visual GRAPH of each item's sales-over-time!!!!

It only takes time to get this thing rolling as far as getting more people involved and thus generating a more solid baseline; I'm looking forward to this but want to see better visual appeal and perhaps the standard dev+avg price calc'd on a separate row. <3

• Like Like x 2
  11. Marc Antony

Marc Antony Master Chronos

Mar 24, 2016
    Male
    Reagan
    Shadower
    Brave
    This could be rectified by a big buyer beware. How easy to add to this guide makes it easier for a large audience to start using it, but also makes it susceptible to fake or inaccurate entries since there is no way to stop them. This needs to be communicated clearly to the user before they use the guide to make any sort of decision. It can be done so in the form of a big disclaimer that says something along these lines:

"What is listed here is a report of what other people have paid for these items. Users should use discretion while using this guide, as the prices listed here do not necessarily represent the item's true value. Compare to recent market trends and peer to peer price checks before making decisions based on this guide."

The problem right now is getting people to use it. This will be difficult given it's winter time and people are in school, so there's just a smaller player base to potentially use it. It should be bugtested and redesigned before summer when it will really be an effective addition to the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    As proof, I sell the following:
    Squishy Liquids - 10 Mesos
    Orange Mushroom Caps - 15 Mesos
    Green Mushroom Caps - 20 Mesos
    Horny Mushroom Caps - 300 Mesos
    Charm of Undead, Tails (Evil/Curse/Cold) - 500 Mesos
    Lupin Bananas - 400 Mesos

I sell it, people buy it. =o)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Ciffy

Ciffy King Slime

Oct 22, 2017
    Male
    Ciffy
    Paladin
    ImaWhaleOroO
    I'm not sure what you mean by color coded. Like I know his 30% table was a different color than his 10% etc, but with each scroll type being listed together, I'm not sure how you mean. Like the background of each row? Seems like it would be hard to look at that way. I did alternate colors in the rows on the actual prices. And I prettied up a couple other things. Nothing fancy though, I'm not a designer. >_<

I'm still thinking about the error thing. With it being basically anonymous, there's no good way to do it. I can't track via IP because stuff you enter on your phone you'll never be able to edit from anywhere else (or from a home computer when your isp changes your address, etc); I really don't want to create a login system for people to have to manage (and probably crack); and Kimberly has posted here but I don't know how much she's actually reading so I'm not hopeful about getting a link from the forums that will let me handle session stuff basically automatically. The only thing I can come up with is some sort of flag you can click that will mark an entry in the database. And then I can show what entries have been flagged and maybe when something gets 3 or 5 flags I can check to remove it. But again, I have no way of checking to see if a troll is just flagging everything with it being anonymous. And one troll can ruin the integrity of the data. =/

Average and Std Deviation added. :) it was easier than I thought it was gonna be.

I'll add the graph idea to the log list.

I have a pretty big disclaimer on the front page when you login, but people don't read; especially people who are actively looking to wreck things. =/ I added another couple sentences basically summing up what you wrote above.

And just to chime in on the admin thing. Without a LOT of access to a LOT of data, there's no automatic way to do this. It's either me (or a small team) manually entering prices, or it's the user base. *I* refuse to do that. I'm not going store by store and looking for prices; especially since I want only actual sold prices and as soon as a store owner clicks "organize" that data is gone to me. It's thankless and tedious work. As soon as c++ stopped updating, ya'll just brushed him away. Not trying to be rude or anything; it's just how people are.

But if we put the work on the user base (even a couple dozen people), then we get thieves updating dagger and claw scroll prices, and warriors updating top str and helm dex, and pirates updating stuff that's relevant to them without anyone having to go through the tedium of looking for prices to stuff they just don't care about. If I was expected to troll through fm every week or less to keep a guide updated with no pay or benefits, I'd burn out REAL quick too. I want to maple, I want to train and leech and party quest as do all of you. But if we all spend 5 minutes while shopping to mark a few things down, the data will come. :)

And for those who think I'm just doing this to get prices biased to me, I play a pally; look at 30% 1h bw att scrolls. They've actually gone up 5-fold since i started this, all reported by me. :p

14. Danny07

Danny07 Pink Teddy

Dec 18, 2016
    Male
    MrRogers
    Priest
    EDIT: Shortened comments for easier read.

I just realized you have a top menu with filter options ('just show'); However, the font could be changed from Times New Roman to something smoother like Tahoma or Helvetica. Colors might be confusing; you might be correct about that.

I suppose that would be best. A step further would be to include a text box for optional comment but not sure if that is too much work.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    I had it down the moment I knew I was going to be Staff, before you even asked. MapleF3

But yes, Staff shouldn't (and won't) have a hand in prices or the overall market outside of doing things like balancing event drops to not completely destroy said market.
    The beauty of Maple's market is that it's fully controlled by the playerbase; all the Staff team needs to do is to not blow it up with implementations. ;)

16. Timan1

Timan1 Mushmom

Nov 21, 2017
    Night Lord
    Basically,you're saying you DON'T want moderators to get involved with the free-market prices,and then mention how YOU REMOVED C++'s guide because YOU DECIDED that "the guide was no longer providing up-to-date info"? (ESPECIALLY WHEN SAYING "When a staff member is the one that does the price stuff it means its seen as 'official' and 'corrected' which is not always what those guides are"). When i made my suggestion i took into consideration that if the "official" mods removed the ONLY price guide thread on the forums so they'll be willing to make a new one (or help in making a new one). Saying that it makes the prices "official" can be simply solved with the same disclaimer Marc AntonyMarc Antony mentioned.

When i mentioned making full and updated guide is hard work for one or a couple of people, i really meant it, especially when the community will hate on you on daily basis because of some mislead price/merchants that can no longer noob-trade because of your guide will definitely say shit about you, and overall you'll be getting much more hate than love and support for your hard work, just like C++.

Providing a disclaimer will sure take off the responsibility from the thread maker but what's the point? one of two things will happen;
    1) People won't use the guide because it's not trustable / provides half-assed information about actual scroll prices and won't benefit them at most.
    2) (which is more likely to happen) People will ignore the disclaimer and rely on this price guide fully and while the "responsibility" is not on the thread-maker, it will still cause manipulation of the market by people and benefit only the rich players of the server who can/will cause monopolization on certain scrolls (CFA 30% for example,it used to be 2-2.5m and after monopolization (I wont mention names) it went up to 8.5m and probably won't fall anytime soon.)

P.S (edit): The problem wont be solved by any of the solutions offered above,including mine. we should choose the solution with the least bad consequences.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rooba

Rooba Snail

Feb 4, 2017
    idk if it interests you or not, but i worked on something of the like but interface is a discord bot. https://gogs.hypermine.com/Ra/legends i believe equips would be a viable thing to get averages on based on core stat improvements and perhaps the price of the scrolls * difficulty to pass x scrolls. Would be willling to work together, or could probably offer free hosting if you're interested. nice work! i like what you've put together

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. takolovelive

takolovelive Chronos

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    takoEri
    Paladin
    GodDuckness
    Website not found (404). Would you mind checking the website, or did you take it down for maintenance?

19. McNetz

McNetz Blue Snail

Aug 16, 2017
    Male
    McNetz
    Assassin
    Hey guys.

Wanna apologize. I actually keyed in the wrong price for the scroll price list - specifically GFA 100% - inserted 200 instead of 200,000. Was wondering if i could delete it somehow. I'm so sorry. Do let me know :(

20. Danny07

Danny07 Pink Teddy

Dec 18, 2016
    Male
    MrRogers
    Priest
    Hey i just tried to access the website. Is it only temporarily down?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.