1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

MapleAuction website development

Discussion in 'Programming' started by rinnedev, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    3:50 PM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I mean, that's an unavoidable pitfall for a 3rd party tool. Unless you literally build the tool into the game, there's no reasonable way to enforce.

The best way is to do what all auction websites do, implement a rating/reviews system. The community can self regulate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    10:50 PM
    Beginner
    Sure there is going to be people making false bids and false auctions.. That's how it was on basilmarket as well, there is no better solution without the staffs help.

3. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    4:50 PM
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Yes, people will undoubtedly post false auctions and even make false bids. The concerns you have are very fair. There's a feedback system in place that will allow you to leave negative feedback on a seller that doesn't sell you the item for the agreed price. You can also report buyers for unpaid items. You will be able to block sellers or buyers that don't meet a certain positive feedback percentage, so that their auctions wont even show up on the site for you or they wont be able to bid on your item. There is also going to be a system in place that allows you to report false feedback/unpaid item reports/etc, but that will require screenshot proof(which is why I will encourage everyone to take a quick screenshot of each trade interaction, just in case). The site is going to need "moderators" to check these reports and make judgements, my job is to design a system to make that as easy as possible.

The majority of people that use the site will most likely be honest, which will make the dishonest people stand out. Everything is designed to be very open to your eyes, allowing the users to make judgements on sellers/buyers. You can easily tell if someone is posting false auctions because you'll be able to see their auction history. The false bids are slightly more complicated, but will have much more severe penalties. If the penalties aren't enough for you, you can use the blocklist.

Exactly, my goal is to implement tools that allow the community to make these decisions. The admins/mods will only be there to handle false accusations/etc.

4. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Hey rinnedevrinnedev hows everything going?

5. Sympatic

Sympatic Master Chronos

Sep 16, 2017
    Male
    Looks Amazing! Can't wait to see you release it.

6. iZeke

iZeke Mano

Sep 18, 2017
    Male
    3:50 PM
    iZeke
    Thief
    I just want to say thank you for doing this! If you manage to pull this off I'll be excited to relive BasilMarket if you will alongside my classic Maple. It'd make this server have that cherry on top for optimum authenticity. Hehe

Looking at the pictures it looks like you've got great progress so far! I'll keep an eye open for more updates.

7. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    I've started working on the Index page, specifically "Hot Auctions". I'm running into some problems with efficiently calculating which auction is "hot" and ordering a query by that number. The good news is that I can continue working on it. The bad news is that I have less time to work on it.

8. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    That is good news to me, I think that so far you've proved you can make progress pretty fast. So even with limited time I think you can accomplish this :)

9. Deobus

Deobus Blue Snail

Sep 24, 2017
    Male
    Deobus
    Thief
    SELECT auction.*, COUNT(bid.id) AS bid_count
    FROM auction
    JOIN bid ON auction.id = bid.auction_id
    WHERE bid.date_posted >= now() - INTERVAL 1 DAY
    GROUP BY auction.id
    ORDER BY bid_count

Something like that maybe?

10. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Yes that's essentially what it was. I'm using an ORM so I didn't have to write the SQL though. I needed it to list it based on bids/hour, so I ended up calculating that and sorting it myself. The top 5 "hottest" bids will be recalculated every 5 seconds by a background task.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trassel

Trassel Mano

Jul 1, 2016
    Male
    Trassel
    Chief Bandit
    What is the status on this? This would be really useful.

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    His last login is 4 months ago, so probably cancelled.

13. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    5:50 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    This is awesome still. I wanna git dat sauce and finish it

14. OP
    OP
    rinnedev

rinnedev Horny Mushroom

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    RlNNEGAN
    Assassin
    Hey everyone,

I haven't been working on this for quite some time now as I've been dealing with some issues that came up in life. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September and he passed away a few weeks ago. I also graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science recently so it's not all bad. As I was looking for jobs and making my resume I thought of this project. Sorry it seemed like I abandoned it, that was not my intention.

I plan on finishing up a few things and releasing the code on GitHub. I know that a lot of people wanted this to be a thing exclusive to MapleLegends. I wont be giving out my GitHub on these forums so hopefully that means most private servers wont get their hands on it. Even if they do, I doubt they will use it or be able to set it up properly. This may end up revealing my identity so I'm hoping that doesn't bite me in the ass. Fortunately, using copyrighted images in this manner usually falls under fair use so I don't think it will be a problem. I wont be able to host the site though. I hope that someone will be able to do that.

I will be spending 8 hours a day either learning more, working on projects like these, and applying for jobs/updating my resume. If the admins want to work with me and integrate the auction site with the database, I would be completely open for that. That seems to be the only way to keep people honest/prevent fake auctions. Every other method would require more manpower than I can afford or machine learning which requires training data that I can't afford.

I'll be around so if the admins want to work with me or if they just want the code for their own use, I'd be glad to help out with that.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
  15. boost3r

boost3r Slime

Apr 13, 2015
    2:50 PM
    Paladin
  16. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Hey man, how are things going? Is this project still in the works?

17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    upload_2022-11-8_1-57-5.png

thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.