1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell =(

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by supercasual, May 24, 2018.

1. supercasual

supercasual Blue Snail

May 16, 2018
    8:30 AM
    supercasual
    Assassin
    Hi y'all, I recently joined this server (which is my first Maple PS) about a week or two ago and had lots of fun reliving my childhood. Its been maybe 10 years since I really played Maplestory seriously (played for longer than a week before quitting again cause of how messed up the official game is now [P2W]) and the nostalgia inevitably brought me back to this game.

I wanted to start with a sin, as that was the class I ended up with back in the days when me, my brother and my friends each picked a different class to play. To start with some positives, I love how you can vote for NX, which allowed me to fulfill my childhood dreams (my parents won't let me buy NX as a kid) of getting a pet, customizing my character, having my own FM store and more. This server has really fair rates which makes the game challenging but not too tedious AT FIRST... As I got to around level 40, I started to remember all the tedious things I had to do back in the old days, issues that despite the current MS being a mess, managed to address to a certain degree. (I'm sorry if I seem clueless of upcoming changes that might address the issues I have with the current server, as I am really busy and don't have much time to browse the forums)

• THE UTTER DOMINANCE of bishops+leeching and the need to play as a class that you don't enjoy (in my case, I find mages to be extremely boring), just to fund your main character. Guess you can blame me for starting the game as a sin...
    • HP WASHING. I know some people don't mind it and some even welcome it?! Because that was the 'old school experience'. This is what made me quit when I played the game in 2008. Look, I get that this was part of the old school experience, but HP washing imo is absolutely stupid, tedious and greedy on Neckson's part. IT SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY VIDEO GAME because it sucks the fun out of it, having to throw money at your character until you had enough hp to boss which in the case of Maplelegends, sit on your butt and vote for months straight before being able to continue playing the game. (for NLs at end game who want to boss)
    So that's it. The above are my reasons for quitting Maplelegends because at the end of the day, once the nostalgia passes, there needs to be other factors that motivate players to keep playing the game and I struggle to find any motivation to keep me going, knowing that I'll have to HP wash for a while and now that I think of it, end game is just a repetition of the same bosses/training maps. Maybe I just grew up and its all my own problem with the game not this particular server, but these are just my thoughts.

Anyway SORRY FOR THE LONG POST and thank you all for taking your time to read this. If you made it this far, I'm sure you already have lots of opinions about this post. Feel free to leave a comment as I really do wish for this server to thrive. I even donated money because I appreciate how well this server works compared to some other ones out there and it feels like cheating not having to pay a single dollar for such a great experience, despite it being a short one. =] Wishing all the best to Maplelegends and every Mapler out there.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    5:30 PM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Most other private servers have done things to address some of the issues you seem to have had with this one, so maybe this just wasn't the right fit for you. HP washing isn't really that necessary even in Legends (most classes can get by with minimal washing) and leeching is definitely not the only way to make money, although a lot of people would tell you otherwise.

Glad you enjoyed yourself while it lasted! cya

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    8:30 PM
    White Knight
    I went from 1-72 almost purely off quests (1-45 in a day or two w/o doing more than 1pq) so obviously you're just not choosing to do the alternative to that PQ which is your own self made problem lol.
    HP washing is stupid but you don't really need to do it, anyone who says your character is useless w/o it is just a prick but you'll just have to wait longer in order to do certain bosses.
    I do agree that washing and especially leeching is absolutely terrible. Very dissatisftying seeing someone level 3x faster than you that's not even playing.
    I don't see how the equipment differs from GMS It's the exact same way.

You sound like you'd be better off playing a mid to high rate server tbh

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    supercasual

supercasual Blue Snail

May 16, 2018
    8:30 AM
    supercasual
    Assassin
    You might be right :unsure: but Legends seems to be much better coded than say Royals. Also were there any balance changes that made HP washing not as essential? I remember it being a huge deal... Also ik this is a 3x quest server, but you gotta understand, I'm trying to breeze through the early levels (1-70) because I quit at around that range so I wanna kinda pick up from there lol and PQ is much quicker than questing, since theres no back tracking. Speaking of which, CPQ is missing :(

oh and about equips, my memory might be foggy but I remember C ilbis, face stompers, etc maybe it was from a later version...

5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    2:30 AM
    Moderator Post
    The Monster Book ring that got introduced with Monster Books may assist you in regards of 'requirements' to wash.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    It does sound like MapleLegends is not a server for you. All these issues you mentioned are not invalid. Myself have a some issues with the server too. However, there are other things about MapleLegends that are far superior than other servers out there that made me wanted to stay despite all the frustration.

Playing as mages is not the only way to make money to fund your other characters. I started off playing as a bishop myself too, but I only sold some leeches until I stopped because I am just not enjoying it. Instead, I started to participate in boss runs with my friends, grind valuable mob drops, and take my chance to get exclusive rewards from events. Those things alone get me quite a lot of money to buy gear for my night lord.

I can admit that some party quests do seem to be "necessary". Personally, I got the broken glasses on both of my bishop and night lord, and was it frustrated? Yes, it was boring and frustrated at times, but I feel like that's one of the things about old-school Maplestory that we don't get in many games nowadays, that is the sense of reward and accomplishment after you persevere through the most frustrated stages of your leveling progress. To be honest, LPQ wasn't the most frustrated stage for me. It could be fun if you go into the party quest with the mind of making friends and teamwork instead of focusing on how repetitive and slow it is.

No one likes HP washing, I assure you that, and it is certainly not necessary. GMs have acknowledged the issue, and have already starting the implement ways to combat hp washing, such as adding the ellin forest quest line that gives a ring that gives a lot of hp, as well as the most recent addition of Monster Book, where you are rewarded with different tiers of a powerful ring that also give a lot of hp. I am sure that they are continuously looking for ways to combat hp washing, and I am very looking forward to them.

Now...I have to disagree when you said MapleLegends has lack of contents. In fact, I believe MapleLegends is a server with the most, if not, one of the most contents of all other v62 servers. We have a lot of areas from other regions of Maplestory, such as TMS, JMS, etc, that other servers don't, and there are a lot more contents planned for the future too. I totally love the addition of Monster Book. Unless you play on newer versions of Maplestory server, where else could you get that in a v62 Maplestory server? In terms of the variety of gear, that's what old-school Maplestory was like. Myself, also felt the same way as you do before, but as I leveled up, I started to not care too much about how my gear looks like, especially how they are mostly under the fancy nx outfits I have. Instead, I started to focus on obtaining well-scrolled gear. When I got a gear with purple title, it's as satisfying as getting a brand new gear with different look to it.

At the end, I just want to say the two other reasons why I stay in MapleLegends instead of going off to other more popular private servers:

1. Like you said, MapleLegends does have better code than Royal. I tried Royal before, and I quit after playing for 5 minutes because the bug I was presented ruined my immersion, and if I could encountered a bug within 5 minutes after starting the game, I was not looking forward to see what other bugs are out there.

2. I strongly suggest you join a guild and start making friends (if you ever come back or played in other server). Friends is a huge aspect of the game for me. I would have already quit Maplestory in general if it wasn't because of my close friends that I made throughout my journey. Everything is fun when you play with your friends, whether it's bossing or grinding or questing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    Maplelegends is a much harder private server for a reason, that it is the closest mimic of what the old version of maple was. For it to be hard and not as accessible for newer players is the true beauty of what you sign up for in Legends and reading your post it does seem like that was exactly the case you went through. But every single person experiences that. Hell, I've been playing for 6 months now and I'm only lvl 60 but I've managed to accumulate at least 300m worth of gear by pushing through. So it is worth it in the end, but I cannot bash you for how you feel now because private servers are SUPPOSEDLY a "better" alternative to the main server with all the free stuff and high rates. What I do recommend is to lower your standards A LOT and take the time to meet new people, you won't get strong right away but I guarantee your experiences will be much more memorable and fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    This is the same issues I deal with on ROSE Online. half the server runs around with their own personal cleric to heal and buff themself because eventually it gets too hard to play without one

In this case, they can hit half the map with genesis making them the best farming job class, and on low rates they can gain exp faster than any other job classes.

9. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    ROSE Online. Man, that sure brings me back. /off-topic

10. HyunSeok

HyunSeok Mano

Apr 3, 2018
    Male
    Silvic
    Priest
    Guildless
    Sad to see players leave but here's my comments.

Funding: I started playing ~3 months ago and I did start as a bishop but not so that I could sell leech, but more so because I wanted to create a class I could play while i accumulated mesos and NX to eventually create my attacker. My bishop is lvl 122 atm and I have never once sold leech for money. There are other methods to making money in Legends besides leeching. You can grind for hunting gacha tics and pray to rng. You can spend that nx on cash gacha tics (horrible odds). OR you can do what i do... MERCH. I've accumulated ~2b without selling any leech so you definitely dont need to follow this UTTER DOMINANCE of bishops+leeching. Shout out to the leechers tho.. especially Shivering, for all the leech i've bought.

Hp Washing: Yeah... it sucks that the everyone in the server is telling you that you have to wash. Washing is definitely not required but its definitely helpful. There are classes that dont need washing or need very little. In your case.. you want to make a sin... Unfortunately to be able to do certain bosses at a reasonable level, you do need to wash some, but things like the Elin Ring, Monster Book Rings, Dept Star and other event items help to reduce the amount of washing.

Regards,
    Silvic

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    I agree with mostly everything. Goodluck finding a server not destroyed by 4th jobs massive flaws i.e mage aoe dominance. If you find a v62 or 83 with custom nerfed mages lmk F2. I hate it with a passion aswell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Priye

Priye Mushmom

Jul 20, 2017
    Male
    California
    Priye
    Priest
    Influence
    where's Ghost.Ghost. to say "bye"

13. Ghost.