1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Discussion] Let's talk about GunBound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:43 PM
    Moderator Post
    [​IMG]

For those that don't know, before I came to the MapleStory scene I have played a multiplayer game called 'GunBound' for over 8 years in total. The same story applies for phnxphnx , who is our network Administrator since the start of MapleLegends.

GunBound for those that don't know; is a multiplayer room-based PvP game very similar to worms. You shoot each other every turn with different kind of mobiles, weapons, items and maps.

GunBound was at its peak back in 2002~2005 before MapleStory arrived into the scene. GunBound itself did stay a very popular game until the developers introduced pay2win items at a much worse level than Neckson did. Slowly and painfully the game lost more and more popularity and is now played by less than 500 people in 2018.

Recently, I've been a bit nostalgic for this game, since I haven't played it for over 4 years besides a game or two, and even then the available servers are empty.

Before MapleLegends became a thing and before I started playing MapleStory again I had a project up with phnxphnx which hosts the old version of GunBound.

This project was since discontinued because we had a hard time building up a community that were not made up from people speaking only Spanish, as well as some unrelated issues.

With the project eating dust for 4 years and counting, we are *lowkey* considering re-opening it as a sub-game. What is a sub-game? Its a game you can play when you want take a small break. Tired of grinding for 8 hours? Play a few games of GunBound. Want to battle it out with your friends? Play a few games. The main management and development will be kept for MapleLegends, since GunBound barely needs any management.

GunBound is also only 95~mb in size, so it requires absolutely nothing to be run on your PC.

The main question however; is if there's any community interest, which is why this topic was made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TL;DR version
    - Considering running a GunBound server as sub-game ('Taking a break' for today game)
    - Development and focus stays on MapleLegends. Our network admin (phnxphnx) has much more knowledge about GunBound, and he doesn't develop anything related to MapleStory/MapleLegends besides network stuff, which means setting up GunBound reduces zero time from developing MapleLegends.
    - No concerns for additional server costs
    - The game version will be very last version of Thor's Hammer right before World Champion (2005 GunBound)
    - Original Old School GunBound rankings
    - Original 16 mobiles
    - Avatar backgrounds are available, making us the only server having them on the 'Thor's Hammer' version
    - The emulator/source is completely written by phnxphnx in 2013 by almost himself
    - Absolutely no modern GunBound pay2win garbage
    - Should be MAC compatible

Concept ideas
    - Login ID's will be linked with Maple and GunBound. Register one and you can play both
    - Donating at either MapleLegends or GunBound will give you 'Cash' at both services
    - Voting for Legends giving a reward for both services, meaning even if someone were just to play GunBound he/she would still support our Legends' GTOP.

Let us know what you think or leave your general thoughts. We are also interested to know your ideas on how we can integrate the community for both games.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    • Agree x 9
    • Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. PlaceHolder

PlaceHolder Mushmom

Jul 28, 2017
    Male
    5:43 AM
    GiantDad
    Warrior
    I'm interested in briefly playing a couple of games for the novelty and nostalgia.
    If I did play, I'd probably play the bunge games and succ people in with JD's Graviton Surge.

I hope there's the same quality of hacking prevention that MapleLegends has.
    It gets real old getting nuked for 800+ damage by soul-targetting spider balls.

3. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    7:43 AM
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    Sounds like a win win
    might even bring in people who want to play classic gunbound onto maplelegends as a result

4. wealthy902

wealthy902 Red Snail

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Pinaka
    Dark Knight
    Perion
    Never played it, let alone even heard of it, but it looks similar to Jagex's Arcanists that they're letting die, so I'd be down to try it out.

5. iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    6:43 AM
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    Yes, YES, YES. KIMMY I LOVE YOU, I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I HAVE EVER SAID ABOUT YOU ALLOWING HP WASHING.

I have played Gunbound quite a bit in my days, and I know a thing or two about it. Being able to play Gunbound as a break from MapleLegends would be a great thing. We have a community big enough to make it work.
    There were other Gunbound private servers (such a Gunbound Classic, which is now a ghost town), and this can work amazing.
    My only tip would be to have both an option to play Gunbound in MapleLegends and another to play Gunbound as its own stand-alone game (Some people would love that).

150M-200M is beans size. Maybe it could also be adapted to play on mobile? Am I being too greedy here, am I not?

6. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    4:43 AM
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT US TO GIVE TO YOU, MY MAPLE LORD?!?!

But I've honestly been wanting to actually play this game, despite being so bad when it was actually really popular. Maybe my grown old man paws would be able to adapt ^^ :pinkbean:

7. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    I love the idea, me and my friend love gunbound to death
    There's a problem though

As there's another server nostalgic with custom stuff, it's become death and i realized one big problem of this

Gunbound depends heavily on online players, because the other place has 50 people online and they're all highly skilled on the game making newcomers have a horrible time, and also finding open lobbies impossible.

We have average of 400-500 players online ,if 100 of them were to play gunbound that would mean at least 10-25 lobbies would be available and not everyone will get to play and/or farm gold for avatars

If you want to give it a shot as a beta version i sure would love to play but i do believe on that being a major issue.

8. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I never heard of it but I want it just to destroy all of my alliance mates.

Lately I can't look down on anyone because they're willing to put hard work and effort into what they do, but if I can just murder them in another game I'll feel better about my life choices. 10/10 would play.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jung1e

jung1e Mixed Golem

Oct 12, 2017
    The first thing that popped into my mind was the whole channel system where in certain channels the stats from items were turned off, so would there be two channels at the minimum?
    I don't recall if room access could be limited by ranks.

I am all for it though because my friends and I did hop on GBClassic for the exact reason you mentioned-to take a break once in a while from other games.

and what was everyone's favorite Mobile??
    I like JD/NAK/Boomer/Grub in that order. and op dragon/knight if you get lucky with random

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  10. Jaina

Jaina Mixed Golem

Jun 29, 2017
    Jaina/Alleria/Keyes
    I/L Arch Mage
    Crowns
    Hi all - do remember that this is just a concept at this point of time. We are also aware about the community effects - so IF the idea is actually implemented, it is something that we plan to pay close attention to. So do share your thoughts on the game and ideas about community integration and building!

11. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    7:43 PM
    [​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    We'll most likely start with only 1 server that is avatar OFF, since avatar on was much less popular, and the stat balance from avatars were horrible.

I main Boomer and else Random

13. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Random

14. jshyy

jshyy Timer

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    kshyy
    Outlaw
    Why does this game sound so familiar?

15. Jaina

Jaina Mixed Golem

Jun 29, 2017
    Jaina/Alleria/Keyes
    I/L Arch Mage
    Crowns
    [​IMG]

Because it's yet another game, just like MapleStory, from the days of old

16. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I personally see the idea as something you should be playing with people within Legends, or other friends. Right now I am not expecting outside popularity besides maybe people from other servers wanting to play this game again as well... I hope they can behave if that happen ;)

17. lildicky

lildicky Mano

Jun 28, 2017
    LilDicky
    Night Lord
    Time to quit maplelegends for gunbound :^)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    Can I HP wash in gunbound?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    seems like u already made up ur mind, why not just do it? advertise it here a bit and it will be somewhat stable/active

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LazyTran

LazyTran Orange Mushroom

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    LazyTran
    Night Lord
    Animals
    adukas only battle please. no s1, only s2 and ss

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1