1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder why people still play classic Maplestory servers? Help me find out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lionesk, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Lionesk

Lionesk Snail

Nov 3, 2017
    Male
    1:22 AM
    Priest
    I'm working on an educational project, with the goal of understanding what drives people to play classic MMOs like old school Maplestory. Please fill out this short survey (should only take 7 minutes): https://goo.gl/forms/pR8Z13eetjVX8U8E3

The idea for this project came to me while playing MapleLegends, MapleRoyals and a private Vanilla WoW server this past year. Maplestory was my stepping stone into the MMO world growing up and I have very fond memories playing it with friends as a kid; grinding Ant Tunnel, LudiPQ, and dreaming of hitting third job.

I will be writing a Medium article with the results, as well as producing a YouTube video, and you can add you email in the survey to stay connected.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:22 AM
    Moderator Post
    Not really doing the survey (yet), but the reason to me is simply because I want play a version of the game the MMO owners (in this case Neckson) no longer provides. That's all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ANBU

ANBU Horny Mushroom

Jul 22, 2017
    Male
    8:22 AM
    ANBU
    Hermit
    The nostalgia of childhood.
    To be honest, As the game upgrade it became more boring.

For example
    •levels up.
    •Party Quest.
    •Boss.

There was significance to the levels you up.
    You would enjoy the character more.
    You enjoy the game more when you play such a team.
    Today the game has lost all meaning and all the fun to play it.
    In the past it was very difficult to kill boss..And today you are not dependent on anyone to kill any boss.
    That’s why is lost all meaning and fun to play it.

4. ANBU

ANBU Horny Mushroom

Jul 22, 2017
    Male
    ANBU
    Hermit
    I really enjoyed the game when wizet was Managers.

5. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    This is something that I believe is true for the majority of the players of such oldschool private servers. That said, to the best of my understanding, OP does know this, and is actually asking what makes the old version, the one no longer provided by the official owners, more appealing to us.
    Like, the newer version has prettier graphics and effects, more content to explore, less bugs, etc; so why do we even want to play a version that's older, less advanced (in the technological sense; new client clearly has more features after so many years of development), less supported (AND I DON'T MEAN TO SAY ML ISN'T SUPPORTED, ily guys and you're all awesome for all the work you put in this server ;-; I mean it in the sense that the ones who have the greatest ability to respond to bugs and shape content live based on the community's feedback etc are the official owners and developers who hold the client's actual source code and much more budget & manpower), and arguably less polished?

Naturally, seeing as I love ML, I have my own answers to this question; I merely mean to highlight what I believe to be OP's intention with this research and the question it revloves around.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:22 AM
    Moderator Post
    Highly debatable. When I went to GMS for few things I couldn't even get to the character select without having my first crash. The reason why we play the old version of the game is because the new version has things the old version no longer has, or the new version has things people don't want. That's usually the reasons. Other reasons are that Private Servers are *USUALLY* less pay2win heavy, ran by a community instead of a company, and so on.

The downside is indeed no source code (limited modifications), and any chance for said server to shut down.

Both sides has their bad and good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FeroxAnima

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    XD rip. Well, I didn't play GMS in years, but last I did it went quite smoothly; many bugs that were present at some point were fixed in later versions, etc. That said, point taken. I don't know if it factually has less bugs; it's just that, I guess, "in concept", it should have less bugs than an unofficial older version of the same game. Which is another way of saying I doubt there are many people whose main reason for playing private servers is to avoid the official server's bugs, except maybe in unique endcases. But maybe I'm wrong?

I'm pretty sure that's what OP's been looking for, yeah :3
    In my case, to be more specific, I feel like new GMS (or at least, as new as I know it -- about 5 years ago's GMS -- along with stories from friends who still play GMS to this day) is more about the gameplay and less about the community; and tbh, if what I seek is just gameplay, I have games that imo outclass MS through and through in that regard. Combine that with ML's nostalgic value and its greater sense of accomplishment (due to higher difficulty with even *reaching* endgame content), and those were probably my main reasons for joining ML.

My main reason for staying, however, is the community itself. Met so many amazing people here. I don't know if that helps OP much, though c:
    Then again, it is my opinion that something about traits such as low rates, nostalgic, and close-to-original does attract a more mature audience, so maybe it actually is relevant.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  8. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    10:22 PM
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    Current GMS has way more bugs, disconnects, general problems, and bad GMs/PR compared to MapleLegends among other reasons. The only thing I like from current GMS is some bosses mechanics. Example, I really enjoyed solo/duo hard Magnus (back when it took over 30 minutes). But nowadays, most bosses can be killed in seconds... which is very lame.

9. FeroxAnima

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Wow, that thing with the bugs is... really stupid XD
    As for GMs, I had no doubt ML's are better because, as Kimmy said, community-run rather than company-run which just makes it that much more intimate -- especially considering the difference in population size. But the thing with the bugs is terribly silly xD You'd think this stuff would be higher on their order of priorities... In my limited experience with newer versions of GMS it felt significantly more stable in many ways (things such as Zakum/Horntail DCs weren't an issue there, for me at least, as they often are here) so I guess that, plus the general bug fixing that happens in most games with proper, active support, just kind of gave me this misconception and had me make this false assumption. I retract my point about bugs, then :p

10. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    12:22 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    The reason I like Legends better than the current version of gms is simple - everything is more community driven, meaning it allows me to meet and make friends with other people. On the other hand, as Maplestory evolved more over time, Neckson started moving away and began emphasizing more on having solo plays, which was what eventually let me down.

For example, I don't think anybody could have imagined one person casually soloing zakum in minutes 10 years ago. I remember back when I went to PC bang in Korea, I saw one person zaking with 15+ other guild mates, and I thought it was the most badass thing I've ever seen. But nowdays, you don't even need a guild or other people to kill a boss, which I think is a shame.

And that's without mentioning other big flaws of the game that promotes p2w like cubes. Things like that were the biggest reason why I prefer to play on private servers more over gms.

11. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    whats the conclusion you plan on making with this survey btw?

12. Smack

Smack Slime

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Smack
    Dark Knight
    There are a few things that keep me coming back to Maple Story private servers. One, the sense of community and talking to people making lasting relationships and the other reason being that games recently are all just way too easy. Don't get me wrong, Maple is easy too, but I mean easy in a different sense. Developers want you to get to max level and complete all the content within a month, while spending hundreds of dollars potentially, only to move on to the next "big" release that comes our way. It's just not satisfying to me, it's all based on short term satisfaction to drive sales.

It's also a big reason why games such as League of Legends and Fortnite have become so successful, because it actually has something to offer over long periods of time. I invested about 5 years into League alone. It's also the reason the MMORPG genre feels so stale at the moment, with people endlessly jumping from one game to the next looking for that next big thing only to be disappointed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  13. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    Hi, pretty cool project you've got going on. Couple suggestions here:
    1. Since we're able to select multiple games, the "type of sever" question should also include multi-selection.
    2. The "modern equivalent" question also faces this issue (I played both Old School Runescape and currently play Maple Legends)
    3. Not a big issue, but I'm pretty specific on how I'm willing to pay when it comes to games, especially old school servers. I would not play a private server with pay-to-win microtransactions (e.g. Neckson + NX), but I would happily pay for a month-to-month subscription fee or even for non-play-to-win microtransactions (or at least nothing game breaking; e.g. Miracle Cubes).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  14. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Hello I think shot and I both have very similar views on why people choose old-school and ditch the current maplestory.
    New maplestory today is all about solo play which isn't fun without a community since no one wants to play alone. Neckson has switched their structure from community and exploration to P2W and solo grinding by releasing dozens of new classes, potential system, miracle cubes, and items that allow solo bossing/grinding. Big bang also destroyed much of the old original layout of the maps making the maple world feel much smaller. Players now feel pressured to focus on material gain rather than focus on community-geared gameplay like what we used to see in KPQ,LPQ,LMPQ, and our beloved balrog expeditions in sleepywood. Sadly there is not much opportunity or incentive for communities and friends to be made in that atmosphere which makes players leave. As GMS popularity continues to drop because of these changes, fewer people will know about private servers, and private servers will eventually die out. I think private servers can only survive by leeching off the attention from GMS, yet GMS' competition alongside other free to play PC games for new young players looks hopeless.