1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Serious] Tier List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boldaslove, Sep 1, 2018.

1. boldaslove

boldaslove Dark Stone Golem

Jul 19, 2015
    11:38 PM
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    Maple Legends Tier List
    by: BoldAsLove

pally, dk, hero
    night lord, shadower
    bowmaster, marksman
    corsair, bucc

Mages: Bishop > FP > Ice
    Comments: Bishop has the greatest overall utility and no barriers to leveling or bossing. It is the perfect utility character in the game and still has end game spots somewhat comparable to the arch mages spots. Obviously Bishops will always be considered before other mages for bossing.
    Fire mage and ice mage could be equal on the tier list. Fire mages are noticeably more powerful than ice mages so it depends on the current end game spot to decide which class is "better". For now, Fire mages are the best for Shaolin so they're "better" than ice mages. However, other than Shaolin, Ice mages have all the same 1hko potential and a nice spot in Ob4. I would claim the gap between ice and fire is negligible although fire mages do get earlier 1ho's (roughly 8 levels difference) and ice mages make more mesos.
    Note: Comparing Bishops and the other mages is futile as they're used for different things. The gap between ice and fire really is negligible and I'd say their real differences shine in third job rather than fourth.
    Update: Thread shows mages arguing about bossing and putting ice mages first. Interesting bossing perspectives in thread.

Attackers -
    S tier: Night Lord
    A tier: Hero, DK
    B tier: Shadower, Bowmaster
    C tier: Corsair, Marksman
    E tier: Buccaneer, Paladin

Comments: Play the job you want regardless of tier!!

S tier: Night Lord is self explanatory - it has no barriers at any boss and thrives in every map situation due to flash jump and high mobility. Night Lord benefits the most from any stats and gear and also Sharp Eyes.
    Update: Thread asks if washing is a concern and players consider sharp eyes still overwhelming.

A tier: Hero and DK have high damage potential, little to no barriers at bosses, and thrive in every map situation due to high livability. Despite Hero's 180% damage on Brandish, the 30% from ACA and much needed boost from Speed Infusion make Hero a consistently stronger attacker than DK's. DK's can offer more to parties in varied scenarios such as HB'ing at grandpa boss or joining ranged parties who may not need a Hero.
    Update: No argument here but maybe Shadower can move up

B tier: Shadower has reliable damage, varied uses at bosses, tend to be smart players on a high level, and offer strong and consistent multi target damage. Conversely, Bowmaster offer strong single target damage and the most important damage buff in Sharp Eyes. Shadower get the slight edge here with more training opportunities and more versatility overall.

C tier: Corsair, Marksman suffer from the same issue: inconsistency. Corsair offer great damage potential but it is inconsistent, requires nearly as much luck as skill maneuvering boat, and has low HP with high washing costs. On top of this, Corsairs are extremely poor grinders with a linear leveling path due to poor mobility, a janky play style, and mediocre livability. It is also important to note the amount of support Corsairs need in order to thrive.
    Marksman are also inconsistent relying on Snipe but have less washing costs, slightly better livability, better utility with Sharp Eyes, and have much greater overall utility for grinding situations. Marksman in theory should be above Corsair but Corsair DPM can be remarkable although they require significantly more support and have an inherently unreliable play style. I can see this being a controversial opinion and I would agree with putting Marksman equal but not ahead of Corsairs and I would not put Marksman equal with Bowmasters.
    Update: Corsairs tough to rank and describe - good information by Corsair players in the thread

E tier: "Everything else tier" couples Paladin and Buccaneer for two jobs that can truly be defined as "labor of love". These jobs require intense amounts of patience and have little versatility. They offer limited benefits to both the player and other party members aside from SI from Buccs. Paladins and Buccs will be overlooked for other attacking classes but are cool to see, have flashy and interesting skills, and still deal some damage. They shine at grinding as Buccs have a variety of skills to use and Paladins nuke with HH (great coupled with a Bishop) and have high single target damage. Their faults in particular are Paladins not having a specialty (need a better way of saying this) and Buccaneers having low damage and single line damage skills as mob skills.
    Update: A lot of Paladin player representation in the thread. Extremely difficult class to rank and comment on from my perspective.

Insight:
    Bowmaster vs Marksman - why different spots?
    Marksman have the best overall utility out of the ranged classes. It has the better freezing skill compared to Corsairs, deals better with mobs than Bowmasters, and is able to hold their own in flat maps with strong mobs as well as a Night Lord can. The reason why Bowmasters are ranked above them is because they're more consistent in terms of single target damage and in the current end game that matters the most for ranged classes. I think that Marksman damage with Snipe is calculated with perfect timing on every Snipe and I think human error on Snipe bumps Marksman down a lot. That could be nitpicking on my part and attitudes may vary but I've always thought of it as making a difference. Bowmaster for the simple reason of only using one button during bossing instead of two are superior on the tier list which may seem stupid given Marksman overall utility but it matters because they each use singe target bosses for leveling, so the great variety of skills the Marksman has becomes less valuable.

Corsair vs Marksman
    Single target damage potential puts Corsair slightly over marksman. Considering Marksman ahead for their overall utility and less reliance on support.

Hero vs DK
    I've seen some frighteningly powerful DK's and their overall utility combine to make them more or less equal with Heros.

Note: My personal favorite class is Marksman along with Ice Mages and Heroes. My current ML character collection include: Ice mage, hero, buccaneer, bishop, assassin, archer, mage along with a long line of mules.

Since making the tier list:
    Since making this tier list I've noticed the Pallys represent, the Mages are aspiring bossers, and Shadowers are held in a high regard. Buccs haven't had too many strong arguments from what the thread shows. Night Lords were discussed about washing being a disadvantage but it was agreed their power is overwhelming despite missing stat points. Corsairs have began making arguments and describing their class.
    I also realized after making this list that there are many criteria and the google doc tier list by Angbak below illustrates that. I've identified the various categories and feel Paladins are difficult to rank like Corsairs.
    About the GoogleDoc Tier list: This was submitted by AngbakAngbak and there's a lot there. It gives a broader perspective by ranking various categories. It's interesting and I suggest checking it out here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKsScPNAtifUIJkgAnmzh72fMUvL5LHGMNrhZOtSd48/edit?usp=sharing
    This is still my original list with updates included. There's more information by the players in the thread.

This is a tier list based on in game stuff. Other tier lists could be cool like flashy skill tier list, looks tier list, popularity tier list, etc. Anyone else can try making theirs in this thread. Have fun discussing something that is all sheer opinion despite whatever facts we each bring to the table. I have another write up coming out "Is Maple Legends Easy?".

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    marksmen love you too mister

On a serious note, my definition of S tier is a job don't need to rely on others, can boss well, and also train efficiently.

My S tier goes to shadowers and warriors in this case

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    I agree for the most part, but i don't get why you say Night Lords have no barriers to entry, they need quite a decent bit of washing.
    Edit: Wouldn't shadowers benefit the most from all stats, as well?

4. Zebezian

Zebezian Master Chronos Retired Staff

Sep 17, 2017
    Male
    Zebezian
    Paladin
    Honor
    How much experience do you have playing Paladins or bossing with Paladins?

Asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    boldaslove

Jul 19, 2015
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    Feel free to make a case / let us know!

I thought about it and even a half blood NL is still freakishly OP. A lot of thieves still haven't washed out and a lot of them are still very successful. I don't think other jobs fare nearly as well in that situation.

Yea this tier list is cut throat. Anyone who can survive, be friendly, use vc on discord is usually good to go.

6. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    6:38 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Mages are actually very good bossers and Ice/Lightning mages have a better time bossing than Fire/Poison (includes area bosses).
    Anego/Samurai are weak to lightning making Chain Lightning a very strong skill on these bosses.
    Chain lightning also attacks faster than paralyze, and Ifrit has a higher base damage than Elquines.
    Fire/Poison is only good to poison weak bosses and the only boss I know that is weak to Poison is Castellan (Body 1).
    As for Zakum/HT, their cleave is very respectable and (if they 1 hit) they clear the monsters spawned very well making it easier, also good damage when those bosses are Weapon Cancelled.

Imo, I/L > F/P.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    idk this makes it seem like i/l is for sure the better option
    Chain lightning is really only slightly faster to the point where paralyze is still the better option for 1v1
    Sure Anego is weak to lightning, but she's gonna kill 95% of mages with her 18k slaps, still, i/l benefits here
    the slightly higher damage of ifrit isn't that helpful at bosses because it attacks so slowly, its actual strength is at scar tho, which is weak to fire, and because scar isnt weak to poison, and is strong to ice (elquiness) f/ps are only slightly better for scar if not the same, you can count that as a win for i/ls which are supposed to be weaker for 1v1
    the freezing ability of elquiness is worth the slight reduction in damage imo, i really only have elquiness around because of this. Sure its range is much shorter than blizzard, but freezing is only useful for the mobs near you, so for mobbing you really do have to give it to f/ps
    f/ps like you said really take the cake for mages at zak, meteor does more damage for arms, and paralyze does more damage for body, you can argue that the mobs get in the way of f/ps, but if youre close enough and summon elquiness theyre not a problem, and hopefully youll have other party members to clear them too
    I don't know how arch mages do at HT, i've only attacked heads, and i only saw an i/l attack body once
    But i think at the end of the day arch mages really are just meant for mobbing, and that extra damage, plus still being able to freeze nearby mobs with either elquiness or paralyze is nice, so i think f/ps are better, but there are pros and cons to both imo that really could set them equal
    this was long, sorry

8. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    6:38 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Don't get too close to anego and you'll be fine.
    The slight increase of damage in ifrit is a lot more useful than elquines as it adds up to your total damage when bossing.
    F/p and I/l do the same jobs in Zakum/HT so there's not a big difference other than meteor dealing more damage (higher base attack) but as an overall image of which class performs better, I/L mages have more flexibility when it comes to bossing.

Not denying they're best at grinding but mages are not trash at bossing as people make them seem and I'm sure not many people know that unfortunately.

9. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    yeah i agree, people seem to totally discount mages from bossing, but theyre certainly not the best for anything except for maybe zak arms

10. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    12:38 AM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Markmans are cool!

I just love to see when they use Strafe + Snipe combo, plus if you manage them well you be able to do many things. MM is a good class for me, 199k damage is pretty cool :D, BM are Cool too, Bows somewhat attract me so much, and the Hurricane looks cool too, both class are so important, without them, its really hard to finish a run fast, Critical boost are important, So ill never consider then only mules, they are really good with DPS if they are well armed, without them, NL cant be what they are. Bowmans are cool.

And the Hero and Dark Knight Issue:

Its pretty true than hero got more dps, but do a short comparation for a bit.. if you pick a Hero and a Dark Knight within same level (I compared 167 DK vs 170 Hero) and same equips range, you will see that within a hit, you sum up the 3 hits of DK crusher and 2 hits of hero Brandish, Dk is stronger. But there is a issue in it I think is Speed. Heros got More attacking speed than a DK, (Even if you pick a ST Sword vs a Sky Sky, ST got more Base Weapon attack than a sky sky (the most fastest DK weapon) and its even faster) if you compare a hero vs DK using Dragon Falizan and Dragon Claymore, you will see that the DK with a Single hit does more than a hero, But hero is more fast so DPS of them still more higher, Its just a Speed Issue, DK final weapon is way weaker than the Hero final Weapon. DK are Slow attackers.. its just a fact.

But Still DK Rocks for me, i just love this class, cuz its challenging to use one, Mastering Berserking its just a magnificent art. Choosing the pots that you will use, how you will set your HP alert, How the iframe of the att reception will save you, its not just Pressing crusher button, but keeping a eye on HP and everything, the damage worth, and we are not inmortal, a low on guard can kill us. that makes a challenge.(Im not talking about partys and HB Cuz, I dont really feel that we are just HB mules, we are more than that.) Just love being a Dark Knight.

Heros are cool, are one of the main on damage,(fun fact: we have to admit that they gotta excel, Cuz they are heros, to beat the forces of evil..LOL). But in my sight its a little boring, here is true that is only pressing a button to attack... and they dont have to watch HP so much, they hit at 100% in 100% of time. that makes then more consistent attackers than DK, they are cheap in washing, ( They dont need washing barely.)a 30k HP hero is Inmortal that is true..(well the WR totem can kill everything so.. not inmortal at all :p).

All its players choise and taste, game offers, we take, all Jobs got Bad and good points..., them are there for us having fun with them :D

11. HL5 Vendetta

HL5 Vendetta Orange Mushroom

Aug 27, 2015
    Male
    Venezuela
    HammerTime
    Paladin, Warrior
    Simplex
    TMW you play an E tier class ROFL

12. Igni

Igni Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    1:38 PM
    MeleeSmash
    Buccaneer
    Sorry but I don't like this tier list.

You've put Night Lord up at S tier, despite the fact they're super reliant on SEing to do damage, bossing/training-wise and reliant on HP washing and raising up base int. Night Lords, along with archers and Corsairs suffer from lack of HP so they all suffer grinding-wise from lower damage during 1st-early 4th job due to this. Now if you've made a leechstory or bossing tier list then sure NL definitely S but is this tier list is based on personal preferences or overall assumptions on training/bossing/reliability?

I don't understand what these numbers are because Brandish is 2x 260% times ACA (1.9x at 10 orbs). But yes they are consistently better than Drks at bossing DPM wise, and do not have to worry about meeting berserk HP threshold which limits them at a few bosses that need more than 50% of their HP. Their cleave is very good at bosses so I'd would rank them S in your tier list considering they're much better training-wise.

I think you undervalued Corsairs slightly because their potential is too good to ignore. I mean despite their shortcomings they don't need party buffs to do dmg, and is quite substantial because if the SEer dies/dcs the NLs lose a lot of their damage, so I don't understand what you meant by their need of 'support' when they're just as reliant on HB as other ranged classes and do not have to receive party buffs to do most their damage. Their value climbs even further as they're higher leveled due to ship HP being increased per level. Eventually they will remain on the ship most of the time.

About Paladins/Buccs, they definitely not 2+ tiers below the rest.

WKs>saders in grinding, and HH is as you said great at grinding, so i don't get the 'patience' they require to play that class. They do have a niche specialty which is bosses that are weak to their charge elements but aside from that the other warriors have cleave and aren't limited by the attack range on a couple of their skills so they're much more better for bossing overall so I mostly agree with you there.

Buccs are actually one of the best in mid 3rd job grinding-wise, but suffer from being poor bossers until they reach important level milestones. They make up for it in SI and TL though admittedly there are times those skills don't play much of a role. Barrage also good at pinning mobile bosses. In terms of their bossing damage capabilities, they're neutered due to poor stance and poor range on Barrage. Their damage potential is actually with their mobbing skills but unfortunately due to the way the game is currently balanced they're too reliant on their mediocre to decent damage 1v1 iframe skills thus not allowing them to use their mobbing skills to its full potential.

Bish>I/L>F/Pm, and you need to put them on the same tier list and not exclude them lol.

I think before anyone makes a tier list they would need to get enough playtime/experience each class on their own to get a somewhat accurate description on their pros/cons.I don't want any noobs getting mislead/duped by this tier list and running around thinking I'm playing a LOL E tier class when we don't even know what the tier lists even is based upon other than 'in-game stuff' when simply it's best to
    That's why I don't like it being called a Serious Maple Legends Tier List when it's really a 'BoldAslove's personal tier list'.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    9:38 PM
    Paladin

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    boldaslove

Jul 19, 2015
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    Good discussion from Hiyo and Tillim about mages and bossing
    Igni having a lot of good points / arguments about a variety of things and a solid post

and yea.. Paladins getting a lot of attention which realistically is a good thing.

Edit: It's good we're hearing from diff perspectives and seeing different facets of classes unfold. Hearing from Paladins about Paladin life and Mages about bossing comparisons is refreshing.
    Igni's post was a solid critique of basically the entire tier list also.

I could see how some of the information is incomplete but I feel like we're at a good starting point for right now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. Igni

Igni Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    MeleeSmash
    Buccaneer
    It's just that there are far too many variables for a general tier list to be remotely accurate, perhaps it's better to make separate tier lists about specific parts of the game (single target dpm with party buffs, training/grinding, ease of playing, soloing specific boss, seduce survivability etc). That way people can easily chime in about that specific part of the game.

There would be people who skip reading almost the entire post and go straight to the tier list and think "Gee, Shadowers are in B whew not bad ima make one" or "Hmm Paladins are last in E they must be weak" when reality they only care about single target DPM in bossing and thus the tier list inaccurate (shads are too high and pallies too low). I would have liked the post to be about pros/cons for each class, so that way people can actually chime in about their experiences with that specific class that most don't know about.

However a Flashy/cool skills tier list is completely subjective and doesn't require much past experience, and I would be interested seeing what the community thinks of certain skills/classes as anyone could chime in SlimeSmile

16. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    I cry every time someone shits on FP :cry:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    boldaslove

Jul 19, 2015
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    IgniIgni I definitely appreciate the scrutiny, man. I'm not sure I agree "can't be remotely accurate". I agree it takes more than one person to put together a list, that's for sure. It's good discussion and solid scrutiny.

I judge the characters mainly by their ability to perform their *current* role in the end game.
    In this sense, Pally could be brought up because they do great at BF, they're solid at a fair amount of the bosses, and they can grind with HH+Ultimate tactic which Nise once posted about.
    I did not make this tier list to consider each jobs overall ability in every journey of their class. Other than mentioning FP/IL differences in 3rd job being more prevalent than 4th I didn't mention much of pre4th job or pre-end game things. As I said, it's the ability to perform their current role in the end game. This is why FP was put ahead of IL because the goal of Arch Mage is to reach 200 and FP happens to have a slight edge in the current end game grind spot. That boils down to me "FP performs slightly better in the end game thus they're slightly higher on the tier list". As I mentioned and you seemed amused by, there could be a variety of tier lists including flashy skills tier list. This tier list may as well be labeled "Ability to perform their role in the end game". This could lead to a number of classes being more even than they're presented here but I didn't find any significant gaps other than with Pally and Bucc which we've seen have come up in question already by yourself and some Paladin players.

I agree not everyone can agree on a tier list and those are some of my criteria I was judging by and some of my thought processes. There most likely won't be a consensus list but so far the discussion has been really good and I hope that continues in the thread. I'll likely end up revising my post with a pastebin to the original, and I'll make changes based on what we decide here but of course that won't be perfect either.

edit: One thing I think of is the discussion about NL being S tier in the list and then posters saying they can be sub optimal for a long time due to washing, they're meso burners, reliant on sharp eyes, etc. and to me that would be more important in a casual tier list rather than one more cut throat -- but when I evaluate that thought.. I'm not sure. Should those factors be important in this type of tier list? Or are they more meaningful in a casual manner and overall tier list. NL is S tier but the tier list isn't saying it's easy to be an NL, either.

18. Tillimdead

Tillimdead Chronos

Jun 27, 2017
    Male
    Tillimdead
    F/P Arch Mage
    Tempus
    Yeah i think a tier list should be about potential, Night Lords certainly have the most potential for high dpm

19. OP
    OP
    boldaslove

Jul 19, 2015
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    ZebezianZebezian
    SwordArtSwordArt

Should they be C or is there a gap between them and the field? Traditionally there's always been a gap but maybe it's a common misconception by me? Should the E be changed to a C?

20. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    8:38 PM
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    Leave us at the bottom :^)

• Useful Useful x 1