1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple MUD

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Alyosha, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    2:58 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    A MUD, short for Multi-user-dungeon, is one of the original concepts for MMO's that popped up while the internet was just becoming a thing. Generally text based, you guide a character on an adventure. Where it'll go, I have no idea, but it will probably end up pretty wacky. I'm just gonna make stuff up based on what the character is commanded. It's an exercise in creativity.

I suppose it could use some simple rules.
    1. This character will be the culmination of everyone's work. Sure, he'll probably be shitty but at least he'll be yours. It'll be like Twitch Plays Pokemon if you remember that piece of internet history.
    2. I will only respond up to the first 3 commands after one of my responses. Say I make a post with the results of some commands, then after that user 1, user 2, user 3, and user 4 make posts. I'll only respond to users 1, 2, and 3. User 4 will be ignored. Then up to three more people can make posts again. This helps keep things from becoming hectic. I hope that's clear.
    3. I'll just give myself the generic title of "dungeon master". What I say goes. If there is any semblance of success in this thread I may recruit more dungeon masters. If you're interested in that just ask. What they say also goes.
    4. You're allowed to discuss whatever. I do ask that if you command something you make it clear so that me or any other dungeon master doesn't get confused. Maybe start a command with the character's name, if the character can decide on one.
    5. Your commands can only take up the span of about 1 minute of work. The character has a pretty serious attention deficit disorder. He gets bored easy.
    6. You take actions based on information given to you, then more information is given to you. You don't invent new information, you react to it.

~~~~~

You wake up and look around.

You're on a beach. Up on a ledge in front of you are some large snails and a single maple tree. All you have are some clothes. They smell like brown.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Creative Creative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    [Reserved to write character history, stats, and items]

~Equipment~
    White Teeshirt. +1 defense
    Jean Shorts. +1 defense
    Knife. +5 attack

~Items~
    45 mesos
    A box
    Chunks of leaf glued together with snail goo and mud
    2 goo-shells
    A knife
    A locket
    18 rocks

~Stats~
    Level 3 [2/9 exp]

120/120 HP ~ 19/20 MP

7 strength
    8 dexterity
    8 intelligence
    7 luck
    0 AP to distribute

2 skill point available
    But you haven't learned any skills. :(

~The story so far~
    After waking up on a beach, you immediately tore off your clothes and went for a swim because you were stanky. You then collected many maple leaves and checked out some snails, only to be poisoned into a stupor where you nakedly ran up to a woman, scared her away, and began hallucinating. In order to end the magical poison, you murdered the snail in cold blood. After that you fashioned some clothing from mud, leaves, and snail goo and slathered the rest of yourself in a protective coat of mud.

Walking towards a town in the distance, you encounter 4 mushrooms, of whom you charged headfirst and were immediately beaten by and who forced you to run. The mushrooms gave chase and you hid in a tree in front of the town gate, and you begged a guard to help you with the mushrooms. The town guard didn't believe a word of what you said, insisting that this was a scheme of some "Mushroom Mage", not that you knew anything about that. So he shot at you and you started running the other way.

The mushrooms, now numbering 3, continued their chase until you managed to outsmart them and snuck into a crevice that they could not reach. Pleading with the mushrooms, their master spoke to you through them, and after some words were shared, the Mushroom Mage agreed to take you on as an evil apprentice if you shown enough magical ability and if you took out Amherst's snail farm.

You began walking towards the snail farm. On the way you found a box with stuff in it. Neat. You took the box. At a nearby well you washed up and spotted the farm. As you snuck closer you heard two people talk about a new freak in the forest, who flashed the woman. You knocked on the door, and were met with some angry people telling you to talk. Instead you threw leaves everywhere and bluffed some magic words before you ran away behind the house because it had no affect on the occupants.

The woman ran towards the town and you made your way back front and you spoke with the man. After some discussion, you agreed with him that it's possible come to some mutually beneficial terms, so you agreed to tell him where the Mushroom Mage is if he helped you get in with the crazy wizard.

You knocked an old lady out while you stripped naked in front of her and put on some real, human clothes. As you left you cleaned up at the well and were summarily executed by two guards and their crossbows.

You woke up on the beach again, ready to make a plan for your next step and still shaken from your recent death. After waking, you killed some snails and earned some much needed experience. With their deaths you found your first real weapon, a knife, and while you attempted to polish it among the sand and rocks, you found a locket with the name of a woman on it, Maria. Afterwards, you collected some rocks and you started to feel effects of personal growth from killing the snails. You attempted to build a shelter for the coming night, only you weren't as well prepared as you had thought, and you didn't have the smarts to build a fire, and because of that you decided to leave towards the port town before it became too dark.

Along the way, you found some snails, and you managed to kill one of them and with it, you unlocked a bit of your magical potential.

~Accurate up to post #98~

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:58 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I panic and rip the sepia clothing off me, shredding them to pieces. Then I run into the ocean and swim to rinse the brown off me.

-----

Interesting game idea! At first I thought you were PROGRAMMING a MUD. Like an actual MUD we could make characters on. But I think to nitpick, this isn't one of those at all. Probably more like a freeform adventure with a single character any people can control.

Also, what counts as a command? Typically in a MUD one command is just one verb. Go one place. Sit down. But that seems like it would get very boring fast on a forum game. Hope several sentences are ok.

4. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    After I rinse the brown off me. I got out of the browny water, realized I am now naked without clothes to wear, so I attempt to shake some leaf off the maple tree to make myself leaf clothes.

I am not familiar with how MUD...but hopefully my command counts as a command :thumbsup:

5. SLC

SLC Red Snail

Jul 21, 2017
    Male
    USA
    4:58 AM
    I then try to climb the maple tree in an attempt to look around and gain a better understanding of the area.

6. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Your weak arms successfully tear off the clothing. The ocean washes the grossness off of your skin.

You successfully get some leaves from the maple tree. After fiddling around with them, you have no idea how to stick them to each other.
    +item maple leaves

You successfully climb the maple tree. In the far distance you see some buildings, in the northeast is a quaint town, and in the southeast a port town. Just past the snails in front of you is a woman.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I descend the tree and approach one of the snails. Then I try feeding a snail the maple leaves, since they're useless (and besides, a collect 100,000 etc event is boring anyway!).

~~~~~

Comment: how is inventory handled? Realistic or game-like with hyperspace capacity?

8. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    (you said 100,000 eh?) While I try to feed the snail, I start picking maple leaves off the maple tree with a goal of collecting all the leaves from this tree!

~~~~~

Looks like there is no limit to the number of commands we can make, so I am just going to go for it :D

Also...are we ignoring the woman in front of us? don't forget we are still naked...

9. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    You successfully descend the tree. The snail is disinterested in the leaves but shoots sticky slime at you. You take 1 damage.
    HP(49/50)

You get the impression that you can carry massive amounts of stuff, even though you are naked and have nothing to hold things other than your 2 hands.

You begin taking hand-fulls of leaves off of the low hanging branches of the maple tree. Your feet squelch in the mud below the shady side of the tree.
    +Lots of maple leaves

[I'm gonna just insert another rule... You may use as many commands as can be reasonably done in the span of ~1 minute. ;)]

The woman hasn't noticed the naked player yet. She appears to be fiddling with something.

10. Konnui

Konnui Timer

Jun 9, 2017
    5:58 AM
    Konnui
    Shadower
    Agape
    The player notices the woman, and what she is fiddling with. Their eyes light up MapleF14 as they realize she is holding a large, glisening mug of BEER. The player approaches the woman, covering exposed body parts, and offers a friendly smile.

11. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    The woman screams at the sight of a nude person in front of them with dirty feet and fist-fulls of leaves. She runs.

You realize you have no idea what she was holding, in fact you believe you've started to hallucinate as colors mix and blend in your vision and tiny devils start to surround you.

12. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    The hallucination was all the snail's fault!! I charge towards the snail and start punching and kicking its squishy body (not aiming for the shell here). At the same time, I try to take advantage of my fist-full of leaves to protect myself from any further sticky slimes that the snail might shoots at me again.

13. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    With a swift punch and a kick, the snail dies. You get the impression that you were correct about the assumption that the snail goo was causing the hallucinations, and its magic seems to fade as the snail passes away and your vision returns to normal.
    +10 mesos
    +snail shell

Some of your leaves are gooey and stuck together, but you get the impression that the snail magic that made the goo poisonous was connected to the snail's mana.

+1 exp [1/1]
    ~level up~
    +5 AP
    +1 SP
    [Anyone may assign free points however they would like]

[0/4 exp for level 3]

14. SLC

SLC Red Snail

Jul 21, 2017
    Male
    USA
    The player attempts to use the snail goo to fashion the leaves together into some semblance of cloths.

15. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    Woo! I levelled up! I dump all the AP I earned onto my HP because I want to be strong, so strong that nothing can stop me!!

16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    (adding to above) In addition to snail goo, I also use some mud to stick leaves together, then smear more mud all over me. Face, hair, everywhere. Haha! Now I have super camouflage!

It may be brown, but it doesn't smell brown at least. I really smell like Earth!

17. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    You manage to create a leaf toga.

You put 5 AP into HP
    110/110 HP

You cake mud all over your outfit. It smells green. You look like an uncultured savage, but at least you're not nude anymore.

18. SLC

SLC Red Snail

Jul 21, 2017
    Male
    USA
    The player travels northeast towards the quaint town.

19. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    You begin to walk northeast. You are stopped by some very menacing looking mushrooms. They look at you, waiting for you to move again.

20. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    I think to myself, I now have double the HP I had and is wearing an armor made out of mud, leaves, and slime, there is nothing to be afraid of. I charged into the group of mushrooms, with brute force to separate the caps and the stumps. It would be awesome if we could cook some delicious mushroom stew for dinner tonight MapleF11