1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The strange place of Witch's Stews in the economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alyosha, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    7:44 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I'm curious as to what the market will do in the next couple months from all of these stews. People are sitting on large quantities of it, and it's not unthinkable that there are many people with thousands upon thousands, equating to billions worth of the stuff. There has been a large supply and it's been kept in demand by general excitement for the new attack potions. Prime motivations are difficult to distinguish though, are people buying with the idea that it will be more valuable or are people buying to use the stews personally? How does the sheer volume of Stew affect the economy as a whole, are we entering a market whose value is inflated by people's expectations? No matter what I imagine that the attack potion market will be reacting as the potential buyers begin to dry up and people begin to recognize some basic principles. Currently there is an imbalance as to the costs of using all the high level attack potions when you go over the numbers:

Stew: 40 attack for 2mil/hr
    Heartstoppers: 60 attack for 10mil/hr
    Onyx Apples: 100 attack for 20mil/hr

One of these are not like the others. Stews compared to Heartstoppers gives us 66% of the attack for 20% of the cost, and compared to apples they are 40% of the attack for 10% of the cost. The balance among Heartstoppers and Onyx Apples is pretty well defined, with heartstoppers being 60% of the effectiveness for 50% of the cost.

If you extrapolate off of the Heartstoppers to Apples ratios for cost effectiveness than Stews ought to cost between 5.5mil and 6.5mil per hour of use, or cost ~1.4-1.6mil each. I won't be saying Stews will skyrocket though. It's a dangerous conclusion to make, because at the same time it's possible that Onyx Apples and Heartstoppers could collapse. Inefficient means of play can only be held up so long before something gives, and what the market chooses to do will be the result of whoever can best manipulate it. That's the best I can speculate.

There is an imbalance, and one way or another the market will correct itself. How it will happen nobody is able to know, but prices will most likely be changing as Heartstoppers and Onyx Apples fall and Witch's Stews rise.

So in my best and very mediocre opinion, stews are still a solid investment, and even if they don't skyrocket I still expect them to go up if Apples and Heartstoppers crash as a sort of cushioning effect as the market tries to find balance. I'm open to any and all criticism if you have any, because in markets there are no doubt hundreds of variables in play, and not to mention the deteriorating value of attack as it decreases, and perhaps psychological aspects such as what happened with Beanie Babies in the late 90s.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    5:44 PM
    Thief
    didn't read all but you have some major failures in your calculations

that's not true
    u start off from 15 att bonus basically for free from coke pills that everyone has, if not 20 att from cider/bear/rage (for free again)
    so the right chart if anything should be
    stew: 20/25 attack for 2mil/hr
    heartstopper: 40/45 attack for 10mil/hr
    apple : 80/85 attack for 20mil/hr

on top of that the fact that the time the pot last varies is a major difference aswell

also i will say that i have 3000 stews and i definitely expect them to go up sooner or later (probably by christmas event)

3. OP
    OP
    Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    7:44 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Oh! Very smart; I hadn't considered that, and it really gives greater value to greater discrepancies in the numbers. My figures could use some adjustments, but off the top of my head the market value should probably be just shy of 5mil/hr then, or about 1-1.2mil per stew given the smaller bonuses leading to a less desirability for taking down the legs and tail of HT.

There are factors that are difficult to measure, and I believe that's why the low current prices are in effect. In many cases a giant boost for a short period is more valuable than smaller, more drawn out boost. Another contributing factor is just how lucrative it's been to make the stews, and it's lead to a massive surplus and a demand that cannot sustain the numbers of production, leading to people underselling the stews.

I do find it strange that apple and heartstopper prices have remained the same though over this period of time, especially considering there was another method of getting heartstoppers. I can think of a couple reasons for this, such as stews not replacing apples for bossing, and therefore keeping the consumption of them steady, or the veritable stubbornness of players to keep buying and hoarding apples for future use, whether they are needed or not. Psychology of economics is weird like that, where the value of items could be less based on their use and more the the value we apply to them as consumers.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:44 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I doubt many bossers are going to resort to stews when they still have apples and stoppers because they give more attack. And I don't think people train much with them either, so basically, supply and demand has remained relatively the same.

Stews have the bonus of increased wdef and mdef as well... so my guess is they will be primarily useful for training.

In any case, I don't think there is any "imbalance" in the prices at all. A 7 dex earring might cost around 5m. A 10 dex earring costs around 50m. A 15 dex earring is probably like 1bil or something. Apples are so expensive to use because they are the best item that increases damage, and their supply is limited.

5. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    10:44 AM
    I would still believe that apples will still dominate as attack pots for big bosses like ht.

It saves a lot of time, but I definately think it would replace stoppers and pots used towards the end of the boss.

Because the production of the stews have ceased it makes sense that the prices of them will go up and the stock of them will go down.

I don't think it will affect apple prices but may slightly affect stoppers only to a certain degree.

6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    This is balls to the wall batshit crazy to anyone that's been through Econ101. The players are the demand and set the prices to a constant ratio, how is this even a thing? lmao
    This is either a lack of market patience or i dont even know. The event JUST ENDED, come on now

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. SaulFS7

SaulFS7 Mano

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    SaulSaiyan
    Marauder
    Honor
    I crafted few Stews. The first half for my training and the other half for selling. It was very hard to craft 1 by 1. People that made more than 1 k are legends. It will be a good price 1.2m in the next days...