1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Scheduled Maintenance February 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Maintenances' started by Kimmy, Feb 20, 2019.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:57 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Yeah the exp is good, but in terms of meso, I don't think a 2 party run is that great. Each person spends like 3-5m in hp/mp pots depending on class (yeah NLs / shads spend alot less), and then if you add in the cost of apples, stews, and heartstoppers you are looking at single run costing like 66 to 90m total in mesos. Yeah if a good book like gen20 or mw20 drops, you cover that and more, but they don't always drop and if they do, the profits are split between two parties so its really only worth running HT for exp, for two party runs at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Then hopefully, with this new timer. Prices go back up and the incentive to run is higher. Everyone just hss to be on the same page

3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    6:57 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well my opinion is you don't need to be shot in the foot to know you are not going to like the experience.

This change to the timer is absolutely unnecessary and just makes the game pointlessly harder, restricting classes and requiring higher levels and better gear than before. Not only that, but running with 30 people just isn't ideal. It's harder to organize, more expensive overall, more lag, and you have to split up the profits all the more.

The server has been running nearly 4 years with this timer, has it not? Why change the timer now, and why in such a way that doesn't affect older, more established players and hurts new players? People often talk of boss monopolies, and this will literally become true as only a very small subset of players will be able to pull off the HT run while keeping a larger share of the spoils.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I honestly think this is because staff doesn't like the low horntail book prices and are looking for ways to increase the price of books without affecting the drop rate, and making horntail harder is one way to do it.

5. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    2:57 PM
    Moderator Post
    For me personally I see Horntail as the end-game for MapleLegends. Yes, soon Pink Bean is coming, which will be an exciting fresh air for people to push into the limits for a new boss. However, right now Horntail is the end-game of MapleLegends. Horntail is currently being able to be battled by plenty of people. For a lot of these people it starts to get boring, because there's almost no risks involved, and because especially after the 'mass debuff' changes I've got a lot of people telling us, and other people that Horntail just became much easier compared to how it was when he was more 'random'

Furthermore, Horntail is slowly getting so often done that there's more books created compared to demand, which is currently destroying their prices. People will still Horntail, because it's Horntail, and thus more and more books are created.

Back in the days of GMS people did Horntail with a lot of people, and here it's becoming less and less, to have the most profit in EXP and items as possible. By decreasing the time limit I believe that people are more forced again into bigger parties, as well as that there's more risk involved when mistakes get made, which overall makes you have to focus at Horntail again, instead of almost having your eyes closed and hope it ends soon so you can go to bed.

I agree with a few concerns that were bought up (which were also bought up internally), which is why we'll observe how everything will be going after the changes. However, with a lot of changes there's always concerns first before having actual results, and that's why with everything we like to see results first before taking actions on the concerns.

Yes, it's unfair that HT gets another buff, and that there's people that did profit from the old Horntail, but that's unfortunately with all changes from everywhere. You can make the same argument opposite and find it unfair that some people never experienced what to many were a more difficult Horntail, which is when he was less GMS-like, where he still summoned at all HP's, more random, and less predictable. We'll like to keep it GMS-like for now, so that's not going to be reverted. Instead, we looked into other options that make Horntail a boss where you need focus more again, as well as bringing bigger parties, which is similar what GMS/SEA did in later versions, for likely the same reasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Armando

Armando Mushmom

Jul 7, 2017
    Male
    9:57 AM
    Hass
    Bowmaster
    Legacy
    Since we're discussing Horntail changes... is there any chance we can get a discussion going for if HT should be able to seduce random targets instead of the first one in? Would make the fight way more exciting, instead of seeing someone with 30k HP getting seduced over and over.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    i would love for the "old" HT functions to work in the "new" ht functions as well! thatd be cool :3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Kinda sad to see your nightlord get seduced into the heads, but that's just strategy I suppose. It'd definitely make the runs more challenging, but with the new time limit we need less safe and more dpm strategies. (Nightlords focussing the right heads while cleavers can cleave)

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The strong players who run competent groups will not be affected by this time limit. HT runs will continue to be "easy" and done with eyes closed. More importantly, it's this subset of players you should be worrying about if you feel HT is too easy or too frequently done.

But yeah, if you want to make HT "more challenging" and drive up book prices, this is certainly a way to do it.. and not in a good way. It's not like the boss itself is made harder with a shorter time limit. One could argue having to slog through a boss fight for five hours is much harder than if it only took one hour. All this change really does is change the demographics of who can actually complete the run, and it mandates that more people group up together, even though they would rather not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    1:57 PM
    ControlPanel / WireLess / FireWall / HotSpot
    Bandit
    Beaters
    Exactly. People will continue running 6 man party, but exclude the lower lvl players, or be more hesitant to take classes with lower dpm. Runs will stay easy, the difference will be in the composition of parties.
    Lets admit it, it's easier to take 6 people with higher damage and run ht, with lower risk and no need to use as many resources than looking for 2 bishops (that's already hard to find) getting more resources, apples and heartstoppers, to be able to bring lower lvl/lower dpm players.
    I'm not saying it will never happen and lower lvls/ lower dpm players will never be included, but the point is - it'll be more risky for the host and less convenient to actually try and pull it off.

This is why I'll not expect to see feedback in the form of "ht is impossible now, we can't finish it in 2 hours" but more of "well, I don't get to run as often as I used to because I don't have enough dpm", but sadly ppl will not complain about something like that.... so I'm afraid it might go unnoticed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I can confirm what controlpanel is saying. I'm sorry for those with lower dpm, but with the new timelimit I'm going to have to say no to low dpm people... I usually run 6-man runs because it's actually easier to get 6 people together than to get 12 (the bigger exp and splits help ofc)

Side note though, I think the message is clear. I'm sure the staff will keep an eye on it and see where it leads. I think the random sed is a good alternative :)

12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Ehh, I mean low dpm people can just apple the ENTIRE run (or more than other attackers) to bring their DPM up to par. Then theres no issue right, other than that they probably make less mesos since they gotta cover their apples, but at least they get really good exp.

13. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    At some point you can't increase your attack anymore. Strong attackers use apples too. How do you top that if you need to apple to match their unbuffed damage already? Apples don't stack

14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Are your strong attackers appling the entire run including preheads? If so then theres nothing the weaker attackers can do.

I'm just saying that a weaker attacker willing to use higher level attack pots, or use those higher level attack pots longer can use it to equalize their lower DPM somewhat.

Also a weak attacker would have to be like a mage (or high base int ranged attacker, which is also a mage in some sense) for their apple damage to match the unbuffed damage of one of your strong attackers. 100 attack is a pretty dam large boost.

15. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    that's a real fancy way of saying "power creep" :heart:MapleF17

16. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    "We" didn't used to, but then when something went wrong the runtime would go over 2 hours. Now we will definitely stew during preheads and use a few apples during the body.

I agree that weaker attackers moght have to bring their own attack buffs. So far, though, not many have. Maybe some will :)

17. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    1:57 PM
    ControlPanel / WireLess / FireWall / HotSpot
    Bandit
    Beaters
    After discussing further with friends about the 2 hours cap, those points came up:

1. Less meta classes become even LESS meta - widens the class gap between the usuals (NLs, BMs, DKs) and the fun but rarer classes (which are rarer because they aren't as relevant for end game bosses, and they'll be even less relevant now with this change)

2. Low number of players at specific lvls in specific times means it's very hard to organize runs as it is (with timezones problem), and some lower level people just get screwed over by this

3. Pink Bean gets added and can fill the slot of a true endgame boss; HT has the potential to fill a slot one below that, and this change directly hurts this potential. Because we have zakum around 140, then ht around 160 and pb gonna be a boss for 180.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I think people are panicking way too much about the HT changes, 2 hours is plenty enough to finish an HT run. You don't need a super elite party of BMs/NLs with 8m+ dpm to finish a 6man HT under 2 hours, a reasonably strong lxl 17x party is more than enough as long as no one dies/dcs.
    As for 12mans, the timer change is completely irrelevant. If a 12man party cannot finish in under 2 hours there is something very wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    3:57 PM
    Thief
    the real thing is when people dc/die. if a 6 man party and the se dc midway u may as well just leave. i think its a good change but will shift the meta from 1 party to 2

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  20. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    My concern is for the starting up guilds that are not quite up there in the levels or gear, and for the other classes less optimal for bossing. The change is very very unfair and unnecessary. Fake difficulty.

Of course, you can have up to 30 people fight HT at once! But I think that we haven't had many groups this large for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1