1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think makes a private server "successful"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwordRainXi, Mar 19, 2019.

1. SwordRainXi

SwordRainXi Red Snail

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    United States
    10:06 PM
    FauxCaliburn
    Page
    I ask this question as someone who has been part of the Maplestory private server "community" (not sure if community is the best word to describe it, but oh well) for a good number of years now. I wouldn't call myself a "server hopper" persay, but I've tried out a decent number of other servers just to see what they offer. Most servers are marketed towards Maplers who prefer the old-school/pre-BB experience, and the only real thing that distinguishes them are the features they offer. Some have higher or lower EXP/Meso/Drop rates in order to make things more or less challenging, some make HP Washing "Optional", some rebalance classes, some offer custom content...you get the idea.

Anyway, this question popped into my head back when I was trying out a server called "AvalonMS". I remember having a few conversations with a streamer there who was currently in the process of trying to find a server to settle down with. This fella had hoped that Avalon would do well, but eventually ended up leaving due to the fact that he just couldn't see the server becoming successful and staying alive for more than a few months. I don't remember his exact words, but I think he said something along the lines of "Private Servers need to be run with at least a little bit of professionalism, like a business almost". And the owners of the server, as he put it, weren't very professional. One of their big issues was that they weren't transparent enough with the community in terms of what kind of content/updates they would do with their game. I actually tried looking around for their server just a minute ago, and they seemed to have disappeared off the face of the internet. No big surprise there.

So yeah, that got me wondering how some the private servers that have been around for a while stay successful. And when I say successful, I generally mean they can maintain a decently-sized active playerbase for an extended period of time. Which, if you think about it, is already hard enough as it is. Maplestory, in any form, whether it be the official game or the private servers, isn't a super popular MMO. The official game is no where near as popular as it was during its prime. And so, you would think that the subset of gamers/Maplers that prefer oldschool private servers over the official game is probably a pretty small demographic.

Obviously we do have SOME successful servers like Royals and Legends, which have been around for years. And both of these servers hold a pretty large percentage of private server players. I mean hell, once you go past the 6th or 7th ranked server on gtop100, you start getting into the servers that have less than 100 active players. Not to mention the fact that the private server community is probably dwindling, since there are only so many people that have both played pre-BB Maple AND would prefer it over the modern versions. And eventually those people will probably move on with their lives and stop playing Maple entirely. I actually have to wonder how many more years we have before Maplestory Private Servers die off completely. I hope we at least have a little bit longer.

So with all this information in mind, how do you guys think a private server becomes long-lasting and successful like Royals, Legends, etc.? Is it the features? Is it how the server is administrated? How often the developers release updates? I'd like to have a discussion about this.

P.S. : Just for the record, I am asking this question on other forums just to get more diverse opinions. So if you play multiple servers (which I doubt many people do) and you recognize this discussion of mine on a different forum, that's probably why. On a related note, I would prefer if this discussion didn't devolve into a "which server is better" fight. I understand many people are loyal to their server of choice, and some people might be inclined to say "Royals is actually shite tho, wtf are you talking about?" just because I mentioned Royals in my post. Yes, I know Royals is not well-liked outside of its own playerbase. I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying that it's not the point of this discussion. Just wanted to throw that out there as a disclaimer. We cool? Cool.

2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    8:06 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Hmm. I think a server is successful when it has been around for at least 1 year and has a sizable population with an actual economy. This means I would say usually around 100 players online on average with a lot of stores and stuff.

The reason I put the 1 year thing is that most servers typically get alot of players joining in the start, and then a lot of them leave the server.

Also, it usually takes time to grow the player base on a server (few servers start immediately with 100+ players) and I think 1 year is a good amount of time to see if the server will be successful or not.

3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:06 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    That's an interesting question. To help answer that I pose another question: what makes a guild successful?

Do you notice how guilds with very few people tend to struggle to maintain those people? Or how a guild who's leader has been absent just wither away? I think the same principles apply.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    11:06 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I can only speak specifically to Legends but I think a private server is successful if it has actual value to the player. Obvious right? But servers like Royals (please don't start a flame war) are too easy. High EXP rates, high meso rates, high drop rates mean there is absolutely no challenge at all. Old school Maple was abhorrently hard, and even OG private servers like Odin MS were easy. I got to level 65 on Odin MS a year before I did on GMS because I could just farm mesos and sell clean WGs for 10x their value. The highest I ever got on GMS before BigBang when I just leeched forever was 67. I had no fun on that leech character because I didn't earn it, I just used my friends Bishop and paid money for 2x cards. I soon quit the character.

I liked OG GMS because when you saw someone high level you knew they had put work in, first getting to level 20, then 30, then 40. If it's too easy nothing is worth anything anymore. It may seem fun at first but after 5 minuets where's the value?

Legends has 2x EXP, 1x meso and drop, and 3x quest EXP. That's perfect imho, mostly because quest EXP was always garbage and I never had any incentive to spend hours travelling for 1,000 EXP quests but also the functionality of content is close to vanilla. There are no added weird NPCs like in Legends, there are no weird hacks of content beyond the Market to FM button which is nice. Small changes with actual value and an EXP etc system close to the original means the experience is authentic and not as blatantly hard but NOT stupidly easy either.

That's what gives value. Meaningless free stuff, paying to win, and easy earnings are not valuable, they are empty and value-less rewards for minimal effort.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Poot

Poot Red Snail

Mar 15, 2019
    Female
    10:06 PM
    Magician, Cleric
    To be frank, I don't think that you can really pin it down to just one thing that makes any private server successful, however I feel that community is the make or break factor of a server's longevity.

I've been playing private servers since OdinMS as a player and as staffing.
    This was actually done because v55 was the original source code/patch early private servers used. The biggest complaint people had was how difficult Pre-BB was in addition to CS having a Pay2Win factor. So the normal going rates for OdinMS was x16 EXP, x8 Meso Drop, x8 Item Drop [early stigma of leeching = bad] and sort of set the standard before the pirate update. The pirate update also brought EXP changes to GMS after outcry on the official forums of Global/Neckson after OdinMS, MVO, and LeafreMS were all gaining traction with "large" communities. v62 was easier so servers balanced to be like 3x,3x,3x for players to actually obtain level cap.

Much of any success is due in part to an active and mingling community. I feel like servers need to accomplish many things in order for an active community to thrive and return every day. Legends gives an incentive for people for PQ together and build friendships with other players who will continue to play together into 3rd and 4th job advancements. Legends also only has 6 channels so it's not like the player base is so spread out across 20 or so channels like in GMS and other servers. It's the first time in 6+ years I've seen a crowd in nearly every FM channel and people just sitting and talking who aren't trying to sell something. When I'm minding my own business, it definitely feels like the server is alive and bustling. It makes me want to keep coming back to make new friends. :p

I don't personally think there is a list of what a server can really do to make it successful because that list changes depending on who's playing or who the target demographic is. I remember a long time ago that people wanted faster rates instead of something similar to Pre-BB GMS. So rates became x1000 everything and stores were 1 meso stores and you could roll-over jobs and keep skills from previous ones. As long as that server is trying to meet the demands of the community, I think it makes it successful.

• Agree Agree x 1