1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can event item drop formula be made public?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emoimo, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    10:18 PM
    F/P Arch Mage
    Some time ago, it was announced that event item drop rate was nerfed for some abilities because mages were able to farm far more efficiently than other classes with their ultimates. However, it was never really made public exactly how.

Since then, I've heard a lot of information floating around about it. I've heard that when hitting multiple targets, only some number of mobs are able to drop the item. I've heard that longer cast time reduces drop rate, and that drop rate for Rapid Fire was subsequently nerfed for being too powerful. If these rumors are true, I think it is a rather insidious nerf to skills with long delays such as Explosion (it's already so bad). And it hurts players that don't play to leech all day (broke mages that just wanna quest, for example). In this case, balancing the game around the majority could be hurting the minority.

Again, I don't know if these rumors are true. What I'm asking for is transparency so I can make more informed decisions on how to spend my time. The drop rate change was implemented for the sake of fairness, and I think making the knowledge available would be the most fair. The numbers need not be made public, but it would be nice to know the general method of determining drop rate. Also maybe which items this special formula applies to: event etcs, roses, gachapon tickets, monster cards? Or how it interacts with charged abilities like Grenade (lol...) or Big Bang?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    11:18 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Not even sure if this nerf covers all skills that hit multiple targets, or if it's only meteor, blizzard, and genesis that are affected....

Oh yeah but btw? Dragon roar is pretty strong for hitting a lot of mobs too. I haven't heard it explicitly said that skill was nerfed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:18 AM
    Moderator Post
    For the last time Rapid Fire wasn't nerfed. It had a wrong skill ID applied, which made the formula get completely ignored on our new build. This was a bug fix, not a nerf. Regarding the rest, there's a hidden formula on a lot of servers, including this one. This is since 2015 and got tweaked here and there. The exact formula won't be disclosed because its way too complex for it to be.

The formula is applied especially for event items (and HUNTING Gachapon), but once again it differ for a lot of things. Example, Hunting Gachapon uses a different formula compared to event items. Normal drops are the most normal out of the bunch, but even those got tweaks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    I understand that staff has reasons for wanting certain things to be private, but would it be possible to get some reassurance on balance? Like, really, I just want to know if I should stop using Explosion.

5. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well, that post isn't very informative and all... and I don't think something being "too complex" is an excuse to not show it.

Either you or a coder can dumb it down, or just copy/paste it and I'm sure someone can figure it out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    It wasn't meant to be informative since it isn't going to be disclosed, like any other MapleStory server.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Use it if it's fun to use. Use it if it's the most effective strategy on particular maps/mobs. Seriously - it's a game...go have fun. Don't worry about it. =o)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    How can I know if it is the most effective strategy without knowing how drop rate works?

10. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    You could test it out yourself to see if theres a difference in drop rates with your different skills. With a large enough sample size you can draw some accurate conclusions.

11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Event drops are way too rare to be accurate. You'd need an absolutely massive sample size just to have a rough idea.

And then they'll just be like "Being unlucky is not a bug."

The information is being hidden, and it feels like for no good reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Except that if drop rates are made public, then particular maps will get higher in demand and other maps will wane in demand causing the community to start fighting over prime farming maps. We already see how this works with exp-based maps - so why cause further problems in reducing diversification of map usage?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    1:18 AM
    Solstice
    You don't even have to give the exact math formula or even drop rates though, just saying what it's based on would answer his question.
    Like for ex. if it's based on how many mobs a skill can hit, higher # of possible mobs hit = lower drop rate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    If this ends up being the case why can't the non-prime maps be buffed to make them more competitive, or have the maps that are good for farming drops not give as much exp so there is a trade off between meso and exp.

If you farm a few hours using skill 1 and a few hours using skill 2, I think that can be a large enough sample size to give you a rough idea which skill is better, or if they are pretty much the same (though not large enough to accurately know the drop rate). I do agree though, its being hidden for what feels like no good reason.

15. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    I think most everyone who wants to know this information needs to remember that this is a private server and Kimberly is allowed to keep private whatever information regarding the server she wishes. Not accepting this is basically a complete disregard for the right to privacy. Just accept the no as a no and move on.

I think that's a great idea and I hope the staff takes it under consideration. I do, however, see that as a monstrous task - definitely worthwhile, though.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  16. OP
    OP
    emoimo

emoimo King Slime

Jul 20, 2017
    F/P Arch Mage
    Yes! This is exactly what I mean! I don't think exact numbers should be made public at all.

17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Ok, Mr. How-dare-you-restart-the-server-with-only-six-hours-notice.

If it's ok with you, we'd like to have a civil discussion here and at least have the freedom to ask for information, or at the very least point out that a good reason isn't given for not providing that information.

If the staff really felt bothered by a thread, I think you know as well as I that they would just lock it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    1:18 AM
    Solstice
    That's pretty obvious though? But the way she replied she was talking about the exact formula. /shrug she could've just been thinking of the question as specifically asking for that and only that, and not a general "hey what's it kinda based on?". So rather than scolding me for "pushing" realize it was suppose to be a sort of clarifying type of post lmao

19. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    Notice of restart is an entirely separate issue, so I'm not sure what your point is to this other than to continue an argument with me that I have no interest in having with you. Nevertheless, I'm not stopping you from having a civil discussion, and you are free to ask. I'm just pointing out that when Kimberly says...

That sounds like a good enough reason to me - she's exercising her right to privacy. If you don't believe that's a good enough reason, just think about if someone asked you for a bunch of private information. I'm sure you'd say no and I wouldn't expect you to have to give a reason - it's yours to do with as you please. I think respecting Kimberly in that same regard would be a sign of "civility," wouldn't you agree?

I apologize if you took it as "scolding," that was not my intent. I meant it nothing more than a friendly reminder of social etiquette.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    This really has nothing to do with "right to privacy". Privacy entails personal information or maybe even trade secret information that is important to be kept secret. It's more like, when you're a game developer, or a server owner for some game, and there's a pretty important mechanic that affects game balance, you'd think players would have the right to know about it, or at the very least the right to ask.

It's more like the relationship between players and server admins. Just like they trust their donation money to go toward the server, they also would like info about changes being made to the game that affect the game balance. You could argue they have the right to know, because they play the game too and are part of the community. Plus, arguably the whole point of even running a game server is to provide service to the players and promote a positive relationship with them. What we would actually call it in this type of relationship, and given the nature of the information, is "transparency". Revealing the requested information would not make the server vulnerable to attack or plagiarism or put someone's personal information at risk. All it does is help the players understand better what is going on.

And I wasn't trying to dredge up an old argument for no reason. I just think the 180 is pretty hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.