1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice My current state and mood for MapleStory (Post from 2019)

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    2:07 AM
    Moderator Post
    Hi,

As I've promised before the Anniversary Event, I will be writing another Kim-style topic for you to enjoy, and the longest one yet. In this one I will be trying to write down the feeling for the game past month or two, my motivation to still work on it, as well as trying to give my reasoning behind it. I will also re-write a bit of the history, for those that wish to re-listen to that.

There will be 3 sections:

1) History time again
    2) My current mood of MapleStory
    3) Some GunBound stuff

Section 1: History, again (skip to next section for the more recent stuff)

MapleLegends is a project I have created with Navi in middle August of 2014, to create a successor to NobleStory and ClassicMS. NobleStory was a server attempting to be GMS-like but because the lack of users had a lot of custom additions. Such additions being buyable mastery books, 2x EXP cards that were permanent, as well as a couple of things more I slightly forgot about right now, but I wasn't a big fan of them. However, pretty much everything coded there was custom, due to lack of 'packet decoding', as well as other things that are now more or less the norm, making a server much more GMS-like compared to old days.

ClassicMS is the first server I've played since my return in 2014ish after I left Private Server GunBound Classic for many years playing there. Before that, I played LocalMS in 2008 who was under the management of Diabllo/Zilch/LeoTheFox who also was the owner of GunBound Classic. He was the one that exposed me to MapleStory at the time.

I have not many memories of myself playing in 2008 anymore, but I was quite new to the game as expected. I played a very little MapleStory Europe during the beta, and ironically left after level 12 or so because it was too hard and boring. I can kinda see why Neckson did what they did just wish they didn't overkill the issue as they did on today's MapleStory.

Anywho, MapleLegends was an attempt at creating a new home for users at ClassicMS, and thus it became a server that is 2x/1x/1x. The reason why it's 2x/1x/1x was that 2x EXP cards were removed, unlike there. 2x is basically permanent 2x cards on 1x EXP, which was the complete intentions of the rates.

Later during closed beta, someone suggested the Quest EXP be raised. The suggestion can still be found here.

This was completely unheard of back in 2015. There was EXP rates, DROP rates, and Meso rates, that's it. We approved the suggestion eventually and thus MapleLegends became 2x/1x/1x/3x where 3x was the quest exp. This change was a good change and made us more special in a way.

Now a bit more about myself,

During 2014 (beta) I did a couple of .wz edits. I already added areas we had planned in our mind to add in the future. Such areas are ToT, Ulu City, Magatia, Ellin Forest, and a few more. I also did an insane amount of testing, because I love to test things. We also came to the idea to create custom boss HP bars and images to bosses, because Neckson for some reason missed on a lot of them. Navi designed a lot of them, and some are even used in other Private Servers today.
    upload_2019-5-4_18-39-37.png
    upload_2019-5-4_19-12-56.png

I like to be a community figure. I am a socialize person (not IRL LOL don't get me to there), and thus I always saw myself as a community manager. The goal of MapleLegends for myself was that I hanged out with the community, caught on feedback, suggestions, etc. Navi would be the one doing database stuff, coding, and so on. I do not code, and database stuff is not really my thing.

This was going well from 2015 into 2016. Of course, I made mistakes, but I also tried talking to people that had fights, try to get feedback on users that quitted, and so on. I was very involved with the community and I had a lot of fun doing so.

In 2016 Navi slowly started to get burned out. I don't blame him looking now, he did an insane amount of sleepless nights of coding, from August 2014 to pretty much that day, solving every single thing wrong with XiuzSource, which trust me, is a lot. Navi requested for someone to code with him, because doing it alone burns you out, and it just wasn't fun not being able to experience talks together about similar things. I, unfortunately, had massive trust issues, and based on past experience wouldn't trust someone the code, to get it all potentially taken away. heh

A bit later, unfortunately, a staff-wide disagreement happened. About what is not really important, but it caused the last blow on Navi where he more or less completely left for good when it came to coding. He's still around behind the scene, but as.. Navi. A support assistant giving feedback and suggestions on staff, and some administration. But coding was pretty much done.

Suddenly instead of doing community, I had to do community AND database stuff. It gave me a lot of work onto me, and I was too spoiled with my Administration in GunBound. We had an extremely fancy Admin Panel, which as expected did everything you wanted it to do. For MapleStory? Manual queries. As expected, I wasn't experienced with this whatsoever and knew basically nothing. But I also didn't want to put effort learning it, because as I've stated earlier in this is that I didn't enjoy doing it. To this day I am still not enjoying it, but I at least know some basic queries now.

Anywho, it was middle 2016 and it wasn't going well with MapleLegends. 20~60 users online, and the server people kept compare us with, MapleRoyals, started peak with 2000 online. On top of that, a few people started to cause chaos on MapleLegends, basically putting me on the lowest point of the server, almost close to just give up completely. Why do something that you no longer enjoy nor make you happy?

On the way home where I really was close to throwing it out, I got a PM from a person. Who, is not really important, but it was a very sweet message. I realized that there are still people around enjoying the server regardless of the mess, and giving up on it would only disappoint those users as well.

However, it was clear we needed to make plans because the server wasn't growing. People came, saw how 'dead' it was, compared it with the other server, and just joined to there instead. On top of that, we had the big disadvantage of being lower rates. Unfortunately, even in 2016 the market for low rates just wasn't great. Not only were we low rates, but we also had a lack of users, and thus people had nobody to talk to.

A bit before 2017 we decided to lift the multiclient block in place. In MapleLegends we didn't allow multiclient. Some liked this and made the server look 'special' some hated how it was only a roadblock because some people could still use 'VMWARE' to bypass the block. Sandboxie, however, was blocked as well. If the block was still intact I could block VMWARE as well.

The reason why we decided to remove it altogether is that it gave an unfair advantage to people with multiple PC's, VMware, and so on. It was to us better giving everyone the same advantage compared to giving only a few users it. Furthermore, it affected our user count, which unfortunately is something a lot base a server on.

Begin 2017 is when the server started to grow. This happened due to multiple reasons, but the main reason was that 'big' Twitch streamers and content creators from another Private Server started to expose our server. This caused a huge amount of users to join and suddenly revive our server. To some this revived the server, to some this was the beginning of the end, where the community was no longer as tight. To me, it was a good thing, because I was really done with how the community was in 2016 on some parts

In the summer of 2017 was when most users came, and likely when most current users joined. Summer of 2017 was the peak of Legends, and I embraced it completely. Unfortunately, it didn't last long, because someone decided to shoot massive DDoS attacks towards our way. To this day, as a tradition with those attacks, we don't know who. The matter, however, is that this lasted for a long while, and unfortunately struck the server in a state that was never as recovered anymore since. This was extremely frustrating behind the scene as well as even in public, and of course, the emotion came out due to it. To this day I still think DDoSing is such a coward way to defeat your enemies, but it is what it is.

After that, MapleLegends more or less stayed stable. Nothing too exciting, and thus ends the history again for now.

Section 2: My current mood on MapleStory

The very last sentence is actually the main point of my mood. I have a personal feeling that MapleLegends feels complete. Of course, there are still some things uncoded, some tweaks that can be made, and some balance that can be done, but when it comes to the user market I feel there's nothing to be made anymore. Things start to slowly become stale and boring. There are no users coming because of existing flaws, and people are much more interested in high rate servers. I am starting to feel burned out, like Navi.

I also feel that MapleStory Private Servers are currently in a very weird position. It's becoming more difficult satisfying big chunk of users because every year new 'features' come into the scene, which splits up the community more and more. Some of these features are impossible for us to fix, because of how old we are. This is what new servers take huge benefits on, and even 'taunt' those old servers that they fixed 'flaws' that we did not 'fix'. We do not do it because we do not want to, but because we can't, fairly anyway.

Even if we could, some embrace those flaws. After all, we are an Old School server. MapleLegends in 2015 vs 2019 already changed a shit ton of stuff, and not everyone agreed on those changes.

Basically, what I try to say is that I feel trapped with MapleLegends. I cannot make changes without at least making a huge chunk of users upset, or myself upset, because even though a lot of users feel those things are crap, it doesn't mean everyone does.

One thing I wanted to do for a long time is to attempt a second world. However, this costs a lot of time, our current source does not support second worlds (I believe), and it's a huge risk. The unfortunate mindset people have is that they feel the need to completely give up on the first world because a new one is being made. If everyone gives up on the first world, and the second one fails, it's basically game over for both.

So in end, I am here with MapleLegends. I love MapleLegends, I especially love the community. I still love this community much more compared to what I see in other servers. However, I am not completely happy with what MapleLegends is and offers, and feel stuck with it forever. Trying something new would mean to a lot 'giving up' on the current, even though in my eyes it would mean trying to get another market to play our server while keeping the other completely managed as well. This is how I feel for a while already, and I hope it's not seen as negative I openly talk about it. I think it's important for users to know how an owner feels, so they understand what goes on when decisions happen, or things don't happen, or just want to know how one generally feels.

Section 3: GunBound

GunBound is a game I played from 2006 until 2014, almost non-stop. I played it a lot, administrated it for a bit, and spend countless hours enjoying it. When I quitted in 2014 I didn't play it anymore for many years, and it's the longest break I ever took from the game. To be more specific when I played after 2008, it was on a 'classic' private server, as stated in section 1.

Unlike MapleStory, GunBound is unfortunately in a much worse position right now. GunBound started in as early as 2008 already becoming a pay2win game. Everyone that played GunBound after 2008 has a horrible experience playing the game, likely. GunBound due to those problems got a horrible reputation. Instead of fixing those initial feedback of people seeing its becoming pay2win the developers, Softnyx only made the problem worse. It became so bad that the official servers are currently completely empty, while it was still one of the biggest free online games in 2004~2007.

Since 2010 I would say Private Servers were much bigger than the official servers. This is also the year I met phnx. phnx? Yeah, you may have seen him on forums as admin. Who is phnx? phnx is a GunBound guy and developed the first and only GunBound emulator completely from scratch. I helped him a shit ton with that and basically was around since it started, and also finished.

phnx is also our network administrator. phnx handle all the server and firewall stuff. phnx never plays MapleStory nor is interested in it. phnx is basically around because I am his friend, and he knew about me starting a MapleStory server, and didn't mind helping out. However, he still never played MapleStory. I believe he only logged in once ever, and that was during closed beta. This didn't change since.

in 2014 phnx and I basically polished up the GunBound emulator to near finish. This emulator ran on the very last version of 'Thor's Hammer' which basically in MapleStory terms is v92 GMS, which is the latest version before the big bang version. For GunBound it was the last version before the 'World Champion' version.

Before that, not a single server has ever run a server running on that version, so it was a huge accomplishment and goal. During that time GunBound Classic, which was the biggest 'nostalgic' private server still ran, but they ran on an earlier version, which lacked on a lot of things, and missed on features.

GunBound Classic recently closed, however that was after my topic here to bring GunBound back. I actually do miss GunBound, and want to play it again, and them closing wasn't why we wanted open one again too.

Right now, not counting us, only 1 private server still exists. This one server runs the 'World Champion' version, and not Thor's Hammer, and peaks with 200 online, and is non-English.

In short, this game is dying, and dying horribly. phnx and I spend a lot of hours building an emulator, and its been eating dust since 2014. So in 2018 I offered to bring the project back, and have it run with MapleLegends as a side game.

Especially now I feel responsible for trying reviving this game, and that's my goal and last attempt with the new Gunbound server currently in the works. It has the goal to run for many years like MapleLegends, and hopefully, with enough exposure, it gives people a place to play again. This is something we still need to see. If not, we tried, and I will deeply miss the game.

MapleStory is still in a great position, which is also why my focus lately is more on GunBound. I want to do my best trying to revive this game, and it would be a big shame if this game will be gone for good.

For now, this is where I end my big wall of text. I think this is my longest post yet. I won't be surprised if only 1% of the people will read all of it. However, that 1% is likely also the people that leave me useful feedback or understand the way I feel about the game and position I am in.

Thank you

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Friendly x 37
    • Like x 6
    • Great Work x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Romel

Romel Stone Golem

Jul 10, 2018
    Male
    7:07 PM
    oXLuffyXo
    Buccaneer
    Yonkou
    great job Kimmy i played version thor hamer and loved the old school in GB and EMS

3. AliElShall

AliElShall Snail

Mar 15, 2019
    Male
    AliElShall
    Assassin
    Hey Kimmy , i am a new user relatively (joined like a month ago more or less) and MapleLegends has been something i am actually enjoying since this is the 1st time i am back to MS since the bigbang probably. As well as the community is actually pretty healthy overall (which is a HUGE pro to this server)

I have read the whole thing and i really feel for you , being in a tough position like that. Allow me to give you my 2 cents on the matter from my perspective in this short time as a "new user" to your product in an honest manner :

1) Hp Washing overwhelmed the hell out of me at the start , i am not going to get in arguments of whether it should stay or be removed but regardless , i assure you the new user does not care about how "healthy" this is to the product taking in consideration all the time & effort exerted by some people to adapt to HpWashing as well as the product supporting such a thing. All they care about is playing their favorite classes without having to wait a HUGE amount of time just to be able to have hp to start playing. I am sure you know all of this , but the point i really don't get is how hard you're trying to please the people who invested into using your product "MapleLegends" when it was still maturing and adapted to HpWashing while losing out on the demands of your market in return. I get their efforts going in vain will be the most awful thing ever , but so is the game dying for not being dynamic enough to analyze the market needs/demands and figuring out how to deliver these needs to the user in the best manner possible.
    A huge dilemma right ? But i don't think its balanced right now either , its too biased in the favor of "Must protect the old community" without really giving much of a thought of how can we balance it just alittle in a way where it becomes more attractive to the new users market as well as not completely making those who did invest their time & effort feel it was all in vain (i am sure there were so many ideas of things to be implemented to facilitate hp washing problems and some were really good tbh)

2)Another thing leveling up is too reliant on leeching , when you made the server you aimed for an OldSchoolMS experience yet as we progress you're actually enhancing the flaws that were denying the best experience for us. I know removing leeching removes alot of sides to the way MapleLegends is being played but it does introduce a new kind of challenge and have the people grind their own effort rather than buying it. Its worth a shot in my opinion to try and tackle this gradually without removing it all of a sudden , but as you said the server being stale and boring is an issue that can be broken by introducing new challenges to yourself and your community.

3) The idea of the 2nd world gave me some sort of a relevant idea , why not have a 2nd world that's made for testing/trying out stuff while receiving feedback from your community ? It can be only accessible on weekends and its only made for "testing" as i have mentioned. (sounds too optimistic i know but its just an idea)

As an owner , i think you should be more selfish into taking decisions that bring more success and demand to your product rather than trying to satisfy every single one. (keep in mind i am actually hp washing now but i don't know how long its going to take me before i get to a point where i feel this is taking too much time/effort just to get me ready to "play the game")

I wish you all the best Kimmy and its okay to be burned out like that , dont go too hard on yourself
    Goodluck

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Conjuring

Conjuring Master Chronos

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    3:07 AM
    I've been playing tons of private servers starting from 2012, and this server is hands down the best server I've ever played. I knew this since day one of this server, one of the main reasons is the professional and loving staff we have. I don't think we thank them enough.MapleF5

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    9:07 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    Just take the risks kimmu, server can be better, some people have some cool ideas to address HP washing or class balance, which are the biggest issues imo. You can always do polls for the community if staff have a hard time deciding on something.

HT timer too short? now's 3 hrs
    shads on suicide watch? double stab buffs
    resets too expensive? even 3k will do
    weapon cancels unfun? make pallys break it
    no one does neo tokyo? buff droprates

those are just some problems and I feel most of the stuff requires little tweaks to get fixed, like a change in some numbers. Hmm, the most recent addition I love the most is the style server, I think 99,999% of the players here enjoy designing their chars, just unleash all the nx, all the hairs, a cash shop mega expansion, everyone will be happy. hugs kimmy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. NguyenKh17

NguyenKh17 Red Snail

May 30, 2018
    Male
    8:07 PM
    AmariaSylvan
    Beginner, Buccaneer
    Honor
    In 2016 when I was looking for my childhood game, I came across Maplelegends (it was not Maple Royal first and that search was through google images lol). It was such a nostalgic experience for me, i could cry.

I didn't continue to play very long. Until my brother and cousin started playing as well (you could say I converted them haha). I guess my point is that knowing GMs really care for the users and there are still people waiting for me, I would come back whenever I need a break from life.

Lastly, the recent bucc's buff was lovely <3

7. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i dont know what changes you wish to do, but in my opinion working to get new players is always good. usually making the game more attractive to new players will also make it better for the current players. i think that even if some players dont like it they will stay, because this server is very good in general. and for the long run its important too. like you said we lose player base because of age and the fact that this is not modern game. so i think getting new players should be first.
    you can always ask the community for feedback. there might be idea that will make everyone happy, but you just didn't think of it yet. tell us what you want to do :)
    i started to play summer 2017 btw.
    thanks for all the hard work. you got great game..

8. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    5:07 PM
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    Kimmy, what you have overtakes all skill buffs, map changes, and whatever else people ask for. You have a wonderful community. You and the staff should definitely pride yourselves in that amazing accomplishment. I joined last year after google searching old school maplestory. MapleLegends has been my first PS and i have never felt the need or want to leave.

Whatever changes you make to the game, you will have people here sticking around because of the amazing community your team built.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I understand how you feel trapped and can't make decisions that will satisfy everyone, but don't feel that you can't attempt make gameplay changes fairly.

For example: Reducing ap reset price FEELS unfair to old players right? Well we have cash shop history. You can the difference to people. Yes this doesn't make it 100% fair, but there are many options and tweaks you can do like this to make your "radical" decisions more fair and pleasing to everyone.

I personally think legends is more or less a finished product as well. People are really looking forward to NT part 2 and pink bean, but after that I do think the game will get stale again. At that point you will either have the option to leave it as is, and keep legends stale, or work on custom content to keep things fresh.

I think either are fine for legends, but, i do think having custom content (done properly of course) would lead to the most success for legends in the long term as it will keep players interested.

• Like Like x 4
  10. red archer

red archer Horny Mushroom

Jul 9, 2018
    Male
    8:07 AM
    Flipped
    Night Lord
    Heaven
    I've been playing a lots of cms private servers starting from 2016, and this server is the best server I've ever played.Many servers are unable or lazy to fix many problems, resulting in server instability, and MapleLegends'boss experience is the best I've ever had. I invite friends because they are not good at English, so they are not willing to try this excellent server. I tried to sinicize the server, but after communicating with you, I realized that multi-lingual input support would cause users in other languages to see all the information is question marks. So now I'm ready to give up translating the game into Chinese. I started enjoying the game. Maybe those who left the game because of the language didn't understand how good a server they had missed.As a Java developer, I tried to build a server to fix old school problems, but I didn't finish it because I didn't have relevant experience. I want to say that if I need help, I can make an effort for maplelegends. Thank you and the community for your dedication to this excellent server。

11. michaelxii

michaelxii Horny Mushroom

Oct 6, 2018
    Male
    michaelxii
    F/P Arch Mage
    California
    Kimmy, ML has been an awesome community to be a part of. I've been able to meet up with people IRL. In fact, I met up with some today! It's been awesome grinding to 200, but I know that I wouldn't have been able to do it without this unique environment! Shoutout to you and all the staff for all the support! Thanks!

P.S. DKraiDKrai: It's been almost a year since...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. peNg

peNg Chronos

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    8:07 AM
    peNg
    Shadower
    Chinese Soc
    My 2-cent worth of thought
    The key to survival imo is the user base in the server, which includes previous, current and potential users. This is what makes the game fun with accompanionship and a lively community. Below are some ideas for exploration and discussion, peace. ;)

1. Increase streaming benefits and promotions
    -> referral codes
    -> bonuses for those referee and new players referred
    -> streamer tag, just like the donater tag on forum
    -> in-game text to remind users, something like 'Feeling bored? You can stream and grind, or even watch our streaming channels while you play!'

2. Restricted 2nd World
    -> hype of a new server i.e. people rushing to lv. 200 with live rankings
    -> resource re-allocation i.e. breaking the existing pyramid structure and everyone is a new user now, with no meso or level advantage
    -> restricted in the sense to pilot test it on weekends (active) for current and new players
    -> possibility of re-consolidation i.e. allow merging of 2 worlds into one in bossing, major events or entirely in the future

Major con for this approach is make-it-or-break-it i.e. the risk of diluting the in-game community and concentration of people from the current world. Therefore, it works best if the 'total number of new players' attracted is more than the 'total number of active current players' in the existing world. If the pilot test fails, part if not most of these new players would be re-consolidated into the original world, achieving the objective of additional new users into the current user base. in the best case scenario, we would see 2 worlds running with 2 big in-game communities.

It is a bold yet exciting idea to be explored, careful thoughts and resource commitment, allocation (GMs) would have to be in placed before any execution.

3. Make HP Washing even easier
    -> cash ticket (100, 250, potential of 300) should drop outside of events
    -> gold gachapon tickets should be included in more if not all events
    -> reduce purchase price of AP Resets to 2500 i.e. 2 washes a day

Assumption: HP washing is acceptable for old users who 100% loves and will die for this server, HP washing seems relatively daunting for new players which require at least months of consistent, thorough voting and hardcore meso-making to acquire washing gears.

Conclusion
    Ideas are suggested with considerations of vitality (community, active users) and balance (challenging, equality) with regards to the server.
    Many players begin with the end in mind, striking a balance in making the server vital is fun yet challenging. It isn't always the easiest thing to do yet with careful considerations, feedback and evaluations, it is possible to achieve relative balance where most users (>60%) would feel entertained or satisfied.

Sincere appreciation goes out to Kimmy and the team to support this server, Kudos and Greatjob! Also, i think the community has also responded in several ways (text, donations) to show their appreciation, while some appreciation is left unspoken by the heart.

Ending off with one of my favorite quotes, 'If you're going through hell, keep going.' Winston Churchhill
    :)

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  13. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I knew this day would eventually come. I was talking about it with my best friend just tonight at his place. I think the only way to make MapleLegends be able to expand and accomplish what you want, you'd have to update it to a .72 or .83 server. Of course, doing that means having to fix a lot stuff on those types of servers (effectively starting all over again) and make the necessary changes to keep the MapleLegends environment unchanged - and on top of all of that, the ridiculous amount of work required to transfer the database from the current server to the next (because without the source code, it would likely all have to be done by hand).

The only thing I hope for is that I can accomplish my main goal of getting all 12 of my characters to 4th Job at the same time. It was something I feared starting that I might not be able to finish if there wasn't enough time to do it all. But that's the type of person I am. Big goals! Anything worth doing is never going to be easy. There is an old proverb that works here: The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I just want to tell you, Kimberly...you've done a great job thus far. I appreciate all you've done. No matter which way you want to go next, I trust your wisdom.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    10:07 AM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    I joined in 2017 when server had peak population, I never thought I would be able to experience my childhood again playing maplestory with internet buddies but thanks to you and Navi, I was able to relive the nostalgia to its fullest (the joys of ludi/henehoeing and needing to scout and fast click for KPQ/LPQ because its full in every channels OnionBlush) Good times.

On the contrary, I think you SHOULD regularly make this kind of post. There's nothing negative about this, I'd even suggest you make a discord channel where it's just you ranting about dev stuff. Often people don't know a whole lot of what goes on behind the scenes and posts like this puts things into perspective.

I think you should stop feeling pressured to constantly add new content. People come to this server for the V62 experience, everything non v62 are just bonuses. IMO, Pink Bean should be the last non v62 content to be added. After that, instead of new content, maybe just simply focus on slightly tweaking event content and fixing and improving existing issues. The thing is, for the server to remain true to itself as a v62 PS and not fall into what Royals have become, there needs to be a limit to how far things can be changed. There needs to be a clear vision of what the optimal v62 PS should be, and once you achieve it you just let it be. If population dwindle then so be it, no server has thrived for longer than 10 years anyway, let's just make it the best it can be in whatever time there is left.

To be honest, I think you've done enough for the community already. It's not good or healthy to spend so much time being so stressed and burned out doing things you don't enjoy especially since when it comes down to it, it's just a game. I'm sure no one here wants to see Kim go bald from stress of running this server.

All I can say is go for the decision that YOU personally will regret the least OnionPerfect

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I haven't actually thought about leaving the server over any of the changes. At the same time I never really considered any of the changes to be an indicator of whether or not I'll continue playing the server either. Any of the changes that come are secondary reasons at best why I continue to play, and that is because I have found a home here. I found a community of people under some caring leadership, both in guilds and in game moderators.

I don't really believe a game can fail so long as there is care put forth into it by its leaders. There can be disagreements, but I'm not sure if that's a good indicator of whether or not something is succeeding or failing overall, and the fact that there can be dialogue is in itself a healthy thing to have.

There'll be changes that make me upset. There'll be others that make me happy. There'll be changes that I'll make jokes and quips about but overall I'm going to continue playing. I'm going to continue because I can see that the staff here cares about both the integrity of the game and keeping its players happy. I'm going to continue playing because the staff cares enough to open up to us and share their hearts.

It's clear that you care. It's clear that you love this game and this community. That's why I'll trust whatever vision Kimmy has for this server, whether it is big changes or the continued small changes. I may not like the changes but I'll appreciate the work and care that went into making them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Hey all,

First of all, I want to thank you from my heart for the comments and feedback I got. I haven't been able to reply to all of them (got some on discord as well), but let it be known I really appreciate it and further proves why this community is the best.

I got a few concerns from some users about what it would mean if I 'truly' give up on the server, and if it would mean MapleLegends closes. The answer is a very big no. MapleLegends is not going anywhere and me being burned out (temporarily hopefully) doesn't change that. We have a very capable staff team being able to do the tasks that I am able to do as well, with a few exceptions. Hopefully, in the future, the 'few exceptions' can be fixed as well. In the meantime, however, I am still doing those as well.

It's also partly why SiaoSiao was promoted to as high as a Supervisor. Siao is a sweetheart of a staff member that has been helping me during our up and downs and is a huge contribution to the latest additions of our staff, who by the way are doing a great job as well. Before her promotion, adding new staff members was much slower.

I am very sure there are staff members from other servers that feel similar as well but keep it closer to themselves. I don't know if me being open about it is better or worse, but to me, that doesn't really matter. That's how I've been for many years and is not the way I would want to change.

Thanks once again for understanding and more so for the support given. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 16
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    12:07 PM
    Update the cashshop you flat chested loser
    Loser.PNG

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. FireMushroom

FireMushroom Horny Mushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    8:07 PM
    I'm not super active around these parts but wanted to say hi to all of the beautiful Maplelegends people! Great speech as always Kim, its nice to see feedback going back and forth.

From my perspective I think the server is fine as is but I also like brainstorming so I will toss out a few ideas even though some of them might be way off base or not usable. They will just be suggestions and random thoughts from me.

For HP washing I would simply take AP resets out of the Cash shop entirely and only give them out rarely during events. While its true that this was something possible in the original game, it seems to be one of those things that get taken too far instead of serving its normal purpose.

Of course that change would only be meaningful if the server was wiped first (yes I am aware that is also a controversial suggestion) but I think it is probably one of the quickest and least painful avenues to achieving a "Classic" Maplestory experience that will not be as easy to abuse.

Its the staff's call to make but I don't believe it would hurt to have a poll to gauge how players might feel about such drastic action. It is extreme but I'd call it short term pain for long term gain. Sorry there is not an easier way to fix that.

Finally the suggestion I would also make, is to use whichever version of MapleLegends is the easiest to maintain and simply keep it going mostly with just seasonal events. (even if it means giving up certain features or additions)

Those are my thoughts in any case, certainly each of these topics could be explored in large discussions and debates all on there own. I don't think its so easy to say that there is a "right" or "wrong" answer with most of them. Viable arguments could be made on either side with practically all of the issues but the (perhaps) over ridding principle is the basic Maplestory game and what gels good with it and what does not.

For everything else you could get an image that states "Deal with it" and use the picture anytime someone complains.

Good luck everybody, sorry again that the best idea I could come up with is to blow up the world!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    Thief
    very agree

20. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think that if maplelegends wiped, ALOT of players would go to a competing server. One of maplelegends big advantages is that it has a stable population and a good long term playerbase. A server wipe would probably jeopardize this advantage.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.