1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is artwork exempt from real world trading rules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ahotbanana, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    6:29 AM
    I honestly wasn't sure whether to post this as a public thread like this or just to PM a GM about it first, but I think getting the community's opinion on this is probably the most reasonable approach to take. I expect this will probably be a very controversial topic but I feel the need to speak my mind about it.

To be clear, what I am discussing is from 1.2 in the Terms and Conditions of the server:
    More specifically, this bit:
    In general, I am very much in favor of this rule. It prevents the game from becoming a pay to win mess. What I don't understand, however, is why art is allowed as a real-world service that you can trade for mesos or in-game items.

I spoke to Zelretch about this through my guild's Discord and he was able to give me his own opinion on the matter and speculate that artwork is allowed because it is seen as a positive to the community. He compared it to someone quitting the game and selling all their godly gear for real world money and while I would agree that selling artwork for mesos is very far removed from that and much less of a problem, I'm still not really convinced that it is a good thing that should be allowed.

Ultimately, it bothers me that someone can earn millions of mesos (based on a recent thread posted selling artwork) without actually playing the game to earn those mesos, all because they have a certain real-world skillset. I appreciate people can get money in the game they haven't earned by other means. People often fund their friends when they first join the game. Random gifts are something that could potentially happen too, but it still bothers me that I could put in hours upon hours into the game trying to earn money whilst someone else earns more than me without even logging in.

Perhaps to better illustrate my point, it would help if I bring it further in what I consider to be the wrong direction. A while ago, I released a scroll probability calculator. This took my real world skill with mathematics and programming to develop. Should I be allowed to keep that program behind a meso paywall and only let people use it if they pay me mesos? I would hope that most of the community would answer "no" to that, but I fail to see any real difference between that and selling art for mesos. Both are cases of selling real-world services that are tangentially related to the game for in-game currency.

I'd like to hear what people think about this and if you disagree, I would appreciate hearing why you disagree rather than just seeing an enigmatic red cross under my post.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    1:29 PM
    It's good that you actually brought in comparison such as you coming up with a scroll probability calculator. Now, we all can agree that it takes actual skills, brains and programming to come up with something like that. Not any tom dick harry can do that so I'm sure anybody who uses it will greatly appreciate the calculator. However, the difference is that when you come up and released a finished or finalized calculator like that, subsequently anybody who uses it just need to input their variables and this calculator will automatically churn out a figure (unless I'm wrong, I can't be sure). Which in fact, doesn't require you to sit behind your desk and manually calculate or input the variables whenever people asks for it. On the other hand, traditionally artwork has been around for a long time in this server and it has been part of our culture for artists to share their artworks. Artists offer their service by drawing people's individual maplelegends character, and this artwork uniquely belongs to the person who requested for it. As a token of appreciation for artists' hard work and time, we pay them with mesos. Not anybody is born with creativity juice or are aesthetically inclined. Drawing takes time and effort, each art piece takes hours to perfect it and it is not an easy skillset. The least artists can ask for is mesos in return for their time and effort they put in, since they can't ask for real world currency, that would be breaching of clause 1.2.

I can't think of other examples for comparison but you don't see street artists drawing a portrait of someone for free, you have to pay them cash. Right here, if we don't pay artists with mesos, what else can we pay them with? I doubt we can find anyone who is willing to draw 100 different pieces of people's character for free.

3. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I still don't really see the difference. It sounds like you're saying that because art is bespoke to one customer and a computer program isn't, that somehow means it's ok to trade in-game currency for real-world art, but not ok to trade in-game currency for a real-world computer program. Please do correct me if I've misunderstood but if that is what you're saying then that makes no sense to me at all.

I don't see why paying someone with real currency for their art would breach clause 1.2. At that point it's a real-world service being paid for with real world currency. No breach.
    Paying them with mesos, on the other hand, would breach clause 1.2 if wasn't for the "except art" part of the clause.

4. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    8:29 AM
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    personally i dont agree with that. mesos should only be used in the game. to take it out side take something away from the game.
    for me the forums or the social media is not part of the game. though i know alot of information and advantage comes from those.
    also it kind of gives advantage to those art creative ppl. would like to see them do it for free to promote the server...

edit: i also dont see the difference.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  5. Siao

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Actually, I forgot to add in another point. In fact if you were to charge someone for using your program with in-game mesos, by all means go ahead, since honestly I feel that you should be rewarded for something that you took time to create. However I'm not sure how feasible this idea is gonna be if let's say, I purchase it from you, what makes you so sure that I wouldn't take your program to share it with others? - saying this because I am not very sure how the scroll calculator works.

The difference is that artists here draw art pieces of people's Maplelegends characters, and not an actual portrait of themselves. People use their drawn art pieces of as their display pictures especially on our forums because it feels personalized and we can relate. Therefore it makes only sense to pay them with mesos instead of real world currency. Like I said, each time someone request an art, it takes hours to draw and create. If an artist open his commission indefinitely and received 50 requests, it takes weeks and months to complete them all. To compensate for their time and effort, the only way is to charge people with mesos. Our server is a not a platform for any artists to come here and draw pieces of art and sell it for real world currency.

If you are not aware, BronzeBronze has been creating art content prior to joining the team. Our existing banners, Maplelegends icons, FaceBook and Twitter banners (profile pictures as well), discord icon are all created by him for free, never once ask anything in return. Just today he took almost half a day to design something for the server without any complain. This goes the same to our previous designers as well. So this statement is rather unfair.

6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    1:29 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I completely agree with no reservations except that I'd hate to see such a nice thing taken away.

7. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    the banners or chairs events staff did was great example to how its done right. the winners got nx which doesnt effect the game on our server.(maybe only on hp washing)
    if there was other way to pay them which doesnt effect the game i wont have any problem. for example if nx was tradable or if there were forum points to give...

8. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I can see that it probably wouldn't be practical for me to have my calculator behind a paywall, but that's kind of beside the point. If I could put it behind a meso paywall somehow and keep it secure (just hypothetically), then I don't think it would be fair for me to gain those mesos for something I did outside of the game just because it relates to the game in some way.

I'm not saying that this artwork doesn't take time and effort to do, I'm just saying it's unfair that someone with artistic skills should be allowed to use those skills, which have nothing to do with actually playing the game, to get an advantage in game. The same would be true if I were to sell my calculator. It would be unfair and against the no pay2win philosophy of this server.

Just to be completely clear: I have no desire to sell anything I create in relation to the game for real-world or in-game currency. I am, in fact, asking for the rules to be more restrictive on this.

9. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:29 AM
    Moderator Post
    The amount of time an artist needs to create the quality that I have seen on here vs the mesos they ask for highly makes drawing not a benefit for an artist, but more something small to get one started. This is why artists usually stop quickly accepting new artwork since it's just not worth it in that way.

The problem that happened when we still had the rule (indirectly against artists) is that people just bypassed it by making it 'donations' instead. A person would say it's free, but a person 'can donate' to the person if they liked the artwork they got. This was basically the exact same thing except that sometimes scams happened which we couldn't do anything against because it was a 'donation' basically, it only caused bad things to the server.

The difference in my opinion to an artist vs programming is that each person draws in their unique way, which can't be easily replicated/stolen. Furthermore, each artist signs their drawings which make it almost impossible for an artist to have stolen the artwork for their own benefits. It's their skill and their contribution to the MapleLegends server. Why is it a contribution? Well, in my opinion, a server that has a lot of artists creating art for users is a good thing for the server, and it seems other servers agree because the two top servers; MapleRoyals and AriesMS allows it as well.

I love to see drawings, and so do everyone else. It makes the person happy drawing it, as well as the buyer getting it, and I don't think any artist ever got the insane amount of mesos that makes it worth the amount of time they spend making the quality art they make. And if it isn't worth the mesos the person wouldn't simply buy it

Anyway, back when we still had the rule people asked to get rid of it, since other servers did it too. I don't remember the whole debate anymore (2 years+ ago now?), but basically, with the rule intact there were flaws

This is been going fine for years, and I see no reasons to change this suddenly now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    The time and effort is irrelevant. This can literally be said for any real-world service someone might want to offer in exchange for mesos.

Programming is just one example. I chose it simply because I happen to have done that. There are other services which could be equally as unique that people could offer but don't. Guides for the game are probably the best example of this I can come up with right now. Yes, someone could do a similar guide on the same topic, but each person's style or writing and how they explain things will make each guide unique.

If you want to create an incentive for players to create artwork related to the server because you see it as a contribution to the server, that's fine, but making it an exception to the real world trading rules has got to be one of the worst possible, brainless solutions to this. The funny thing is, you already have a much better, much more appropriate solution for this. You already have a system in place to reward people for contributing to the server that doesn't give them any unfair advantages in gameplay over players who haven't contributed.

11. Kaylex

Kaylex Brown Teddy

Jul 14, 2017
    Female
    Bluex
    Bishop
    I totally understand where OP is coming from though. While I definitely am not asking artists to draw for free, what sets drawings apart? Wouldn't having artistic ability simply allow someone to make millions of mesos without having actually played the game? And it's not like anyone can mysteriously gain the ability to draw and do the same thing.
    Don't get me wrong, I love that we're able to pay for artwork (i paid mesos for my dp to be drawn lmao), but doesn't this give certain people an unfair in-game advantage based on their real world skills (which they can get paid real world money for)? Not trying to pose a solution cos I wouldn't know where to start, but... yeah.

12. Blonde

Blonde Capt. Latanica

Apr 8, 2018
    Male
    hell
    Blonde
    Bowman
    I honestly thought long and hard before deciding to reply to this. Obviously having read through this thread thus far and having seen the arguments from both sides, I’d have to say that everyone’s points are valid. However, as an artist/designer myself, I’m inclined towards having artwork being exempted from RWT.

Artworks/drawings being sold has been a thing in our server for a very long time now. Likewise, as Kimmy has mentioned, the other two top servers that disallow RWT, also allow artworks to be sold. As someone who has drawn art myself, I’ve found it personally gratifying when someone appreciates something that I’ve drawn for them. Of course earning mesos is a positive for me, but there have been many many instances that I’ve been perfectly fine drawing it free for others as well.

Though OP’s points are valid, what doesn’t sit right with me is how the efforts of artists are being trivialised, especially for us who have put in so much time and effort into drawing artwork here. Similar to how players put in hours and hours into a game, the same artist doing art puts in many hours to come up with an artwork. Surely, the artist doesn’t log in to earn their mesos, but that doesn’t discount them from not putting in effort to earn those mesos outside of the game.

Yes, guides do take time and effort and many hours to be researched/written up. Despite that, in no way do I feel that it can be directly compared to drawing artworks. Tell me, how is a person who writes a guide going to charge their “customers”? For every page view? Do you personally find that fair in comparison to how artwork is being charged here?

A guide is written once, and perhaps amended to make changes later or whenever needed. Artworks on the other hand require lots of thinking prior, and countless sketches. To add on, different customers sometimes come up with various requests for artist to incorporate into their design which makes individual designs unique. Yes, you may argue that players that write guides can also amend their guides according to feedback which may in return make the guide unique to those individual feedback, but we both know that guides just don’t work the same way as it is with artworks. To add on, artworks are catered towards unique individuals whereas guides are catered towards a general audience.

Personally, I’d hate to see the trade of art being against the server rules, especially since I don’t really see it as a threat against the community/economy of this server. I don’t think any artist has earned a crazy amount of mesos that broke the server or made them extremely OP. Also, seeing how many threads have been opened before, and the many many requests that people have sent in for drawings, I believe that there’s still a substantial pool of people who are for the idea of art trade, and would personally enjoy having a drawing of them that can be purchased with mesos.

Additionally, in comparison to RWT where individuals conveniently have money on hand for instant mesos, artists do not have drawings that they can immediately sell for mesos.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ayashiro

Ayashiro Orange Mushroom

Dec 23, 2017
    I'm not taking any sides as I like artwork but I get the thread starter's concern.
    In game items should be traded with mesos, not real money.
    Likewise, real life items should be traded in real money and not mesos.
    Using real life items to trade for mesos is just like using money to trade for mesos.
    Therefore, if a person want to have a nice portrait of him/herself, the person should engage an artist and pay him money to do it.

To an artist, an artwork takes hours of work and effort.
    To some people, money also takes hours of work and effort.
    If artwork can exchange for mesos then so can money. (Or other stuffs such as programs/guides, which like the artworks are also beneficial to the Maple community)
    Thus, the viewpoints from these 2 different groups can never be agreed upon,
    and this topic is going to come up again and again over time.

14. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    I'll expand a bit on what I said on Discord to add to this thread's discussion, as well as add a slightly different angle that I didn't really touch upon when we talked.

Mainly, I do not personally believe that the amount of effort put into a service or the volume of talent required to perform it are at all relevant. One could put a whole lot of work into any of a very wide variety of things that could be then, in theory, exchanged for in-game goods, but there is only one thing that is currently considered acceptable in ML, and that is art.

First of all, indeed, I believe the main difference that sets artwork trade apart from other kinds of RWT, is that the effects of the artwork trade on the community and the server are positive. It is art of ML exchanged for the currency of ML, benefitting both sides (both of whom being active players of the server; you likely wouldn't pay for artwork of your character otherwise, nor would you create art just to trade it for in-game currency) and improving the general satisfaction and joy people derive out of their time here, while arguably harming no one; meaning, significant benefits with no significant downsides. Compare this to the RWT of a person wanting to leave the server and "cash out" on all their effort by selling their account/items/mesos. The seller is leaving the server anyway, and the buyer skips all the progress that defines oldschool MS and the general mindset behind this server at large, earning a humongous advantage in a manner that isn't considered fair. As another side of this issue, the potential for RWT might prompt people who care not about the server to try their hand at hacking and botting for the sole purpose of getting in-game goods to exchange for RW money. Say what you will about the potential upsides for these things, if you can think of any -- but it is undeniable that they have some pretty serious downsides which certainly do qualify as a good reason to ban this practice. Downsides that, from my PoV, do not apply to the trading of artwork. (Enlighten me if you feel I'm wrong about this <3)

In addition, there is the fact that any asset or benefit exchanged as part of this kind of trade remains within the server's community: a person selling an item for RW money is probably not going to use that money on anything game related; it is now just money, to be used on anything. Artwork being sold, on the other hand, is different: the artist benefits as a player in the server by obtaining in-game items or mesos, while the buyer benefits as a community member of the server by obtaining a piece of art to perpetuate their time here.

I do realize, however, that none of the points I made above are truly solid reasoning; every point I made seemed to be accompanied by a small sense of "something is off here," hinting towards the conclusion that this is all some sort of a selective, subjective form of reasoning that isn't truly based on objective logic. So there's my main point, and the one which I think is truly at the heart of this matter: the case of artwork sales within the world of MapleLegends is, in my opinion, one of those "sane exceptions" that make sense simply because they prove to be beneficial in the most significant ways without being detrimental in any truly significant way (in my opinion, of course). That is, no true politically-correct reasoning is needed, because everyone accepts that the relation this matter has to the RWT rule is that it is an exception to it - but one that makes sense; one that is acceptable and desirable. (The RWT rule was made to make the server a better place; so was this particular exception.) And here's why.
    I love this server and this game; I enjoy it a lot. Back in old GMS, way before Big Bang and when Pirates and 4th Job still felt "new", I reached level 13x on my Bishop. It's not that impressive next to the achievements of the more hardcore players, but it felt impressive at the time, considering all my friends quit about a hundred levels earlier. And here, in this server, I've reached the levels of endgame for the first time; I've been enjoying running Horntail on my Bishop so much and I've done it so often that I've leveled around 20 levels (early 16x to 181) almost entirely on Horntail EXP. That is not something a person would do if they didn't enjoy the game as a game - so yes, I love it.
    But more than that, the main thing about MapleStory, for me, has always been the community; the social aspect. As much as I enjoy the gameplay, there are games out there that I enjoy more, and yet here I am. Because the people here make the experience something else entirely. I've met friends here who have become some of my closest in my life. I've broken way past the barrier of "Online Friends" (lots of beautiful progress made since the pain of those days <3) with many of them. What I'm going to remember, truly remember, is the people.
    My character has been shaped to be the avatar I can identify with the most; the avatar that represents me. The friends I meet here, the moments I share with them on this server, are all experienced through me wearing this character as my own face. It holds a deep meaning to me (as seen both here, where you can also see Richard being hawt af, and here, where you can see... yet another wall of text) because it feels, in a way, like my character is the face that many of my friends first knew as my own; like it is my initial link to many people who are dear to me.
    My signature here, if you'd look at it, represents the most important things to me in this server: the people and the memories I've formed with them. Another thing to note is that underneath the screenshots section, there's a section for artworks. Not because I want something fancy to use as my profile picture; for that I'd just need one artwork. But because each one of them is one more way for me to remember everything I've experienced in here. When I feel like taking a trip down memory lane and I look at all my screenshots with my ML friends, I always get to the art section as well: it is a part of it; because if my character indeed represents the link I share with so many people who are dear to me, then the likeness of it is a powerful tool to remind me of my precious time spent with them.
    The artwork sales are a beautiful tradition of this server, in my eyes. I struggle with seeing any true potential benefit coming to the server through the banning of this tradition, but I certainly do see a significant potential loss.

Those are just my own two cents (expressed through two gazillion words, as usual) on the matter. I deeply believe discussions are invaluable and it's good this subject is brought up, if it weighs on anyone's mind. :heart:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    11:29 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I am just going to point out that being able to draw is hardly an advantage (in terms of earning mesos). If you really wanted to make money, there are plenty of in game methods that consistently more time efficient in terms of generating meso.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i support the art and think it should be part of the things we do here as community. but explain to me how a lvl 10 artist can make few draws, sell it for 10m each, and buy the best int gear. while most will have those items only at level 100. and its not pay to win.?

i know its not easy to implement new system to pay for those kind of services. but if you want to be 100% fair you should..

17. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    1:29 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I think OP brought up great points. It does seem unfair that artists get to earn mesos while other people don't.

Most of my points are in line with FeroxAnimaFeroxAnima's. and I don't think I can explain better than his wall of text, so my response will be more oriented toward other points made throughout this thread.

1) Suppose a person is programmer who made a calculator, can they put the program behind a mesowall?
    - The way I interpret ToS, this would be a violation because access to the calculator is external service. The thing is, it kind of makes sense, for the same excuse for art, to allow this kind of transaction. Calculator is about the game, meso is game currency, calculator benefits community, etc. The thing is we can't exclude everything otherwise it'd be open for a loophole. If we want to take away art exclusion, like others explained, would be detrimental to the server. So I feel like we're at a stalemate, and I'd like to see if anyone else can come up with a revision that addresses the issues above.

2) Why can't the server reward artists with other means instead of meso trading?
    - These arts are individual purchases and therefore I see no reason for the server to provide payments for that. Even if we did, it still favors artists and similar post to this will come up again. If we're excluding individual arts, that's a bit off-topic since OP is mainly talking about RWT issue between individual players and artists.

3) Why can't artists do it for free?
    - Art is a profession. If someone wants to volunteer and donate their skills, that's a generous and amazing offer from them. But I think it's really disrespectful if we ask them to do it for free. Artists already suffer from "You do it for fun, so it should be free for me, right?" and "Why is it so expensive, it's just drawing," and "I can find this online and print it instead, you're overcharging it," and blah blah blah. Let's not do that on here. Appreciate if someone does it free for you, but don't nag them.

4) Effort taken to art
    - I think this is a rather unnecessary metric for this discussion because not only it's hard to measure this, but other skills (guide writing, programming, etc.) also take effort. Then there is long-term effort (school, certification, tutorials, etc.) and short-term effort (designing, drawing, coloring).

You can't really decide which one should be allowed and how much they should cost objectively based on effort.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Blonde

Blonde Capt. Latanica

Apr 8, 2018
    Male
    hell
    Blonde
    Bowman
    At this point we can only agree to disagree. I can only reiterate that the selling of drawings for mesos has been a practice here on ML (as well as other fan servers) for a very long time. It will be sadder to watch it go, than have it stay and be detrimental to our server, in which case I don't see it at all.

It also worth seeing it in the eyes of a buyer's viewpoint. Being able to purchase an artwork for mesos is a plus point in several ways. Not only are you using a currency (that you worked hard for online) to pay for a drawn memory of yourself, it is also a safer way than say, having to link your credit card/wiring your money to an individual that you don't even know on the internet.

Conclusively, I'd just like to say that I really do see everybody's viewpoint as being valid for this discussion. However, this discussion can just go and on, just like how it was brought up in the past.

19. Siao

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    I don't think anyone can simply just say "yo I can draw, pay me 10m I make you beautiful" and use the funds to get the best int gears. I don't know your extend of "best int gears" but considering that each art pieces charged by artists don't break the bank (5mil to 20mil on the average), I don't see how people can use the funds they earned via drawing to simply purchase best int gears, or having great advantage in-game. True enough yes, perhaps start off by getting sufficient funds for pots. Till date you don't see any veterans opening commissions for months and years and using this method to get sufficient funds for best gears. It is not realistic, time consuming, and an unfair judgment. I could go on and on but I think you get my point.

At the end of the day, there are many views from both sides. I purchased many arts from several people before because I truly appreciate the pieces and they made me happy. Parting a small bit of mesos for something that represents my characters permanently cannot be measured by RWT imo. The truth is, there is simply no solution to this. Considering that this art culture not only existed in our server since the beginning of the time and existed in other popular servers as well, there is no reason to change something so good and positive. If ever this rule is changed where we forced artists to produce art for free, this culture will cease to exist and nobody will draw anything anymore. I am not willing to see something so good to go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    If nothing can be done to fix it i think its better to leave it this way. But why do you think nothing can be made?

Example for point system: in the same way fame works players will be able to get "community points".
    Player who want to buy art will have to get points by vote or complete a quest every day to get enough. Then trade them for the art.
    Like fame the points are only valid when you get them from someone else.
    Once the artist get enough points he can trade them for a reward.
    I think cool reward can be to show their art on the main maplelegends webpage. Another reward can be cool unique nx item.

If the mesos reward is not that great as you said than this rewards will be enough for the artists as well.

And while it is one on one trade i think its still contribution to the community. It make our social medias look better and more unique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.