1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for making MPQ better and more popular

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Annolis, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    10:21 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    There are two problems with Magatia Party Quest (aka Romeo & Juliet PQ). As long as these problems remain, the popularity of this PQ will forever remain low.

The first is the fact that the pendant at the end, similar to the Spiegelmann’s Necklace of CPQ, takes way too long to acquire for something that is made obsolete once you’re 2/3s of the way leveling through this PQ’s level limits. MPQ is for players 71-85 and if you are successful 25 times you will receive the Eye of Horus – which gives +3 all stats and +14 Avoid. If you do 30 more successful MPQs, you have the possibility of upgrading the Eye of Horus to also give +210 HP/MP. This all becomes obsolete at level 80 when a player can receive a Silver Deputy Star in NLC that gives +5 all stats with +100 HP/MP. Given that the Deputy Star can be purchased, it also doesn’t help that the level requirement for a Silver Deputy Star is level 50.

There are several ways in which this issue could be resolved. Any one or combination of the following could do it:

1. Make the number of successful MPQs much lower.
    2. Make the Deputy Star have a higher level requirement.
    3. Make the Deputy Star untradeable.
    4. Increase the stats of the Eye of Horus.
    5. Turn the Eye of Horus from a Pendant to an Eye Accessory.
    6. Turn the Eye of Horus from a Pendant to a Face Accessory.

On a positive note, if the Eye of Horus is turned into an Eye Accessory, it would be seen as a replacement of the Broken Glasses from LPQ. On a negative note, the Eye of Horus would be competing with CWKPQs Spectrum Goggles.

On a positive note, if the Eye of Horus was a Face Accessory, it would be the only Face Accessory that isn’t achieved through Gachapon.

Personally, I’m a fan of option 6 most, then 5, then 1, then 3, then 4 (not so much a fan of 2). I am NOT advocating all of them – that would break the game.

I believe only the 6th option listed would truly fix the problem on its own. If, however, this isn’t kosher with the admins and the player base, the other option would be to lower the difficulty barriers that typically turn off players from MPQ. The following adjustments could be made to MPQ such that the difficulty is lowered enough that players can see the time investment to MPQ would be worth the effort.

1. Adjust the Lab maps on Stage 4: Special Lab such that a thief (or character that has max jump/speed) and Magician are not essential.
    2. Lower the number of correct platforms in Stage 6: Lab Tunnel from 10 to 8.
    3. Place platforms in between the gaps of the platforms in Stage 6: Lab Tunnel.

The first adjustment would remove a lot of the difficulty of finding essential players to make an MPQ run in the first place. One of the biggest detriments of PQs that demand a Thief and/or Mage has always been the dreaded “LF> 1 more to LPQ/MPQ [must be a mage/thief].” It is added insult to injury when you have 1 or more players who would like to join or make their own party. What’s worse about MPQ than LPQ in this matter is that MPQ parties are 4 only, and if two of them have to be Mage/Thief, that means the other two can only be two other classes – one class will always be left out. So the probability, should the popularity of MPQ ever increase, of getting a party right away is very high for thieves and mages (as they could just take thieves and mages) while other classes are absolutely dependent on having a party with both of those classes. [Again, it is understood that if a player has max speed/jump equips then the thief requirement is mitigated, but such specifications are not as common as we’d like it for players 71-85]. The adjustments that could be made may require a bit of recoding, but it effectively would work like this: The Mage portal should, instead of having to teleport through the bottom set of walls, a player could walk through the bottom walls until they reach a ladder at the very right end, ascend the ladder to the top where the player could walk through those walls at the top, then also have jump-down disabled on the map forcing the player to have to go down the ladder from whence the player came in order to get out. This would make the map difficult enough that a Mage would be super convenient to have, but not so necessary that it would prevent you from even going on an MPQ run, or, worse, having to abandon the PQ if your Mage got disconnected. The same is true for the Thief portal, if a series of ladders and ropes were installed such that getting to the boxes would require a lot more time and effort than doing the treadmill jump quest if you had a Thief (or max speed/jump equipped player), that level would also be negotiable my a hasteless party, but a thief would be greatly desired in order to speed the PQ up.

The second adjustment is just to remove an extra layer of tedium that is Stage 6. Yes, LPQ has its tedium puzzle stage and MPQ should be no different, but removing just 2 layers worth from this stage might be enough for players to overcome their revulsion of the entire PQ.

The third adjustment would prevent the pains of falling on a puzzle stage. The portal progression is similar to the “Where is Dogon’s HQ?” quest given by Chury in Omega Sector. If you accidentally fall to the level below you, trying to go through the portal you KNOW should send you to the next level up, instead the platform will send you back to the start because it was the wrong platform next in the sequences of platforms you triggered. Because one could fall and require that player to return to the start makes this Puzzle Stage also a Jump Quest – which isn’t particularly welcome given the jump quest part of the PQ was done in Stage 4. Again, this adjustment would solely be used for reducing the needless tedium (if you should fall) of the puzzle stage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    MPQ is always going to be trash on a server where leeching from 70 to 85 is a few hours, and where you have maps that give you more mesos and exp per hour grinding.

If you want it to be more popular, you need to increase the level requirement so that if people smega, you have a larger pool of people who might want to join for fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Funded players can always take the leeching route, for sure. I've never known, however, leeching to be quite as much fun as playing the game yourself.

I have run into many players who say that MPQ experience is trash, but getting the maximum of 440k exp per run requires patient players who know what they are supposed to do. Any one of these failures will cost your party the 300k experience bonus at the end:
    1. Not remembering to get the letter in Stage 1 and give the letter to Romeo in stage 4 can be an oversight for parties who are new.
    2. Failing to understand how to properly defend Romeo/Juliet during the Frankenroid stage.
    3. Failing to communicate with Yulete properly in stages 4 & 7.

So while I agree with you that the experience issue is definitely a factor, I think it's also important to consider the bonus equips as well. If you can get an epic Face Accessory that you just simply cannot get anywhere else and is effectively an end-game equip for the Face Accessory slot, wouldn't that be enough to draw you in? [The issue of players who have already advanced beyond 85 never being able to achieve this equip also become an issue. One possible solution to this is that the equip could be tradeable only through Storage.]

Leeching will always be better, but it is a lot more expensive. [https://imgur.com/a/Mw1E2]. How do particular maps/mobs stack up in experience against MPQ's 440k+ exp per round? I couldn't find a table to answer that question.

Nevertheless, there are two types of players in this game. There are those who wish to rush to the end and there are those who wish to experience all aspects of the game and are not troubled by leveling slowly. I can totally get behind why many players who wish to level as quickly as possible would never see MPQ worth their time as it stands unless it could produce more experience bonuses; which is why the only way I could see MPQ ever becoming a popular PQ without it becoming broken in the amount of exp it gives is to alter the Eye of Horus to a Face Accessory (or something similar in design) that would lure all players to want to get such a novel equip.

As for players who are not in a rush and want to experience all aspects of the game (such as myself), if even we have trouble justifying going through MPQ...then there's a problem. The way that it's designed right now, I have no qualms having each one of my characters go through MPQ successfully ONCE and then never bothering to come back here (except to help a friend). The only reason I went through 35 LPQs for each of my 12 characters is because the Broken Glasses are a novel equip that will not be replaceable until CWKPQ. The Eye of Horus, as it stands, is simply NOT a competitive equip compared to a Silver Deputy Star - and the level requirements between the two in order to obtain one for yourself is less than 3 levels. [It would take 35 runs of MPQ, each run giving 440k+exp (so 450k to average it out) totaling 15M experience which would take a minimum level 71 to Level 78, and the Silver Deputy Star can be obtained through Lita Lawless at level 80]. This leaves only the players who wish to obtain every possible item in the game to want to grind through MPQ - and out of respect for those players (I am NOT one of them...I mean, I kinda am, but not to this extent) we should do something to make MPQ have a bit more of an incentive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    6:21 AM
    ControlPanel / WireLess / FireWall / HotSpot
    Bandit
    Beaters
    I really do like the option of making it a face accessory.
    I think that a not-funded player that enjoys pqing should be able to gain some exclusive equipment that can be gained only through pqs.
    We have eye accessory from lpq, earrings from ellin pq, shoes from kpq, a hat from ppq and even a glove from opq (even though it is not often used, it is still an option!).
    Getting a face acc from mpq could be super cool and it is an exclusive item that can be obtained only through dedication to this pq.

I don't see a problem with the older players that had no option to gain this item as usually they will have a scrolled face accessory anyway :)

It's a great idea imo!
    Lets see what gms think :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    6:21 AM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    Imo the easiest and cleanest way would be to reduce number of successful runs needed to get the pendant and to upgrade it. Perhaps something like 15 + 20 ? Getting 35 runs is the biggest challenge.

And maybe increasing max lvl to 100 would help a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Manny++

Manny++ Red Snail

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    7:21 AM
    MannyCleric
    Priest
    Hi all. I'm facing the difficulty of simply getting Yulete's report. No one ever do this PQ and now im stuck at lvl 85 suiciding just to complete this sidequest.

I don't like the idea of changing the nature of items. I would like extending the pq to level 100 or reducing the numbers of runs needed.

Another solution would be to add some good drop for final boss or bonus stage where you can drop good stuff (and maybe that yulete's report i need =P)

7. Manny++

Manny++ Red Snail

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    MannyCleric
    Priest
    Nobody seems to read this thread, and nobody seems to do the quest ever.
    What about to make Alcadno Marble and Zenumist Marble tradable?

8. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    I'm currently looking to do another MPQ run with my CB.

9. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    1:21 AM
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I agree that we should improve the incentive of doing MPQ. Whether it should something something where users will earn income, or untradeable valuable items, is up for the GM's to decide. The duration of MPQ is pretty long too, so perhaps skipping a stage could also be an option?

10. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    I wouldn't want to skip a stage, but a couple stages could be a little easier. If the Homunculus on stage 3 had their drop rates for the liquids increased a bit, that would be nice. Having the puzzle stage reduced from 10 could also make a huge difference.

11. Manny++

Manny++ Red Snail

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    MannyCleric
    Priest
    The duration can be reduced without skipping anything:
    • reduce the hp of monsters
    • rise the drop rate of quest items

12. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    8:21 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Reiterating what I said in https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/romeo-and-juliet-pq-71-85.23580/#post-195878

I can't agree more with ColouredNote's post.
    I really like this PQ, and yet even when it came out, it didn't get much attention.
    I'm really PQ oriented and I still only got to do this about 15 times at most (or whatever is required to finish the quests), and for around half a year I focused almost solely on MPQ whenever I logged on. I just had to let it go eventually.
    Extend the level cap to 100 or it might as well have never been released.
    (*with appropriate balancing, of course. Although it already is a bit hard even for lvl 80's as I saw it)

• Like Like x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    Bumping to see what happens...

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I think the suggestions are all great and I'm sure that the GMs has seen and discussed this thread already. Probably just gotta be patient and wait until they get around to it~

15. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    1:21 AM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    Ideally, every PQ with completion count rewards could have tradeable badges. I believe this would significantly incentivize players in their level ranges to farm completions because they could sell any extra if they wanted to continue leveling there or buy any additional they need should they outlevel the PQ. The rewards all already have level requirements, so it would be higher level players purchasing the badges for exchange, aka good money for new players and a significant meta shakeup pre-endgame for several equip slots. I could imagine chaosing most PQ equips even becoming regular for some later-game players.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1