1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hamstring Nerfed

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by postcard, Sep 7, 2019.

1. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    9:46 AM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    I recently noticed that the 4th job Bowmaster skill, Hamstring, no longer works on either normal mobs or bosses. After a bit of asking around, I was informed that Hamstring was never meant to work on bosses like Anego or Bigfoot and has been altered to reflect that. This bothers me for a lot of reasons, like:

Why was it never announced?

A question I get a lot is whether to max Hamstring or Phoenix first. I tell people to max Hamstring if they intend to do area bosses. This is because for archers, who have low mobility, a slower boss is easier to pin. Hamstring helps with that.

That's if it was still a working function of the skill.

Now, as it is, Hamstring is useless and a waste of skill points. If anyone (like myself) was not in the loop or following an older guide or well intended advice, they would be putting points into the skill for nothing. The lack of awareness about this change can lead to misspent skill points that could be put into Phoenix or the newly buffed Hero's Will instead. I wouldn't have put points into Hamstring over Phoenix if not for the fact that it worked on area bosses.

ie: at Bigfoot/Anego/Samurai/BGA/CWK pirate, Hamstring slows down the boss enough for me to pin it or run far back enough to stay out of damage range. This is one of the fundamentals of being an archer. You're a ranged character that does your damage from afar to avoid being hit because of your squishy HP. Hamstring aids in that. Hamstring not working on bosses makes it harder for BMs to train at area bosses, which are a main source of their EXP. So it essentially nerfs BMs and is detrimental to the very play style of them.

So I have 20+ points in a skill that was helpful but has been made useless. No BM I know uses Hamstring for normal mobs; most BMs don't grind but prefer to boss instead because of the nature of the job. Putting points in Phoenix would help me kill bosses faster and I would have maxed it by now if I didn't put points in Hamstring instead.

I don't know who decided to change it, but I get the feeling that it was something someone might think is a minor tweak, but in reality it reduces QOL for BMs. Hamstring wasn't anywhere near OP. It was just a convenient, handy thing that late game BMs can use. I don't understand why it was changed so suddenly and quietly. The game has survived 4+ years with Hamstring being the way it is and not breaking the game. Please change it back, or at least recompense BMs with 4th Job SP resets to set points out of this now utterly useless skill.

Btw, it's not working on normal mobs either.

Thanks!

• Great Work Great Work x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. klaare

klaare Horny Mushroom

May 17, 2018
    Female
    12:46 AM
    Artemys/klaare
    Bowmaster
    Promise
    I can't agree more. Sadly, I don't even use it on normal mobs so with this nerf it's basically useless to me now.
    Also, it's gonna make it harder for lower level archers to pin bosses such as the above mentioned cwk pirate boss cuz you need a certain damage to pin it. Without hamstring, the pirate boss wont be slowed, making ranged players more prone to dispel.

Thanks Amy for bringing this up! :heartbeat:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    5:46 PM
    Moderator Post
    When we fix bugs, we very often reference the 'BMS-leaks' BMS-leaks is basically a leak that happened which is the server-side source code of Neckson's MapleStory. MapleLegends was created in 2014 barely referencing said BMS-leak (back then), so a lot of things are not GMS-like.

It seems one of our bug fixes, which we used BMS-leak as a reference, also made this mentioned skill not work anymore on bosses. This is TECHNICALLY a fix, but it was also unintended in the sense we were not aware this specific skill got fixed as well.

So technically speaking it's a bug fix, but obviously, for you all, it's a nerf, and that's completely understandable. shotshot does a great and fantastic job lately referencing all the fixes by using the official Neckson files, making his fixes very authentic and polished. However, I completely also see the issue with this, since GMS/Neckson didn't do everything correctly, and I agree... trust me ugh

We'll discuss what we should do with this, and future changes in general that are referenced using the BMS-leak.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    4:46 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    Will it, meanwhile, be fixed to work on normal mobs?

5. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    12:46 PM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    When I tested on normal mobs yesterday- (memory lane 1/ shaolin 7F), it was working well. Could you tell me what mobs you tested on?

6. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    4:46 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    I haven’t actually tested myself, I asked in continuation of Kimmy’s response to OP. I guess postcard can tell more about it..

7. OP
    OP
    postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    9:46 AM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    Thank you for the thorough and informative response, Kimmy! That explains a lot about the situation and why it happened. I really appreciate it. Definitely agree about how Neckson's Maplestory isn't always the best one; the skill balances and tweaks in ML have made sense to me in the past so I was just taken aback by what happened with Hamstring.

I'm looking forward to what the staff does with Hamstring, and of course, as always, thanks for all your hard work.

I went and tested it just now, I think I see what the problem is. Previously, Hamstring would activate without having to hit a mob. Now you have to Hamstring then hit the monster for the skill to work. I was at a map where I one hit the monsters so it looked like it wasn't applying when the skill was used. So technically, it's working, just not as I am used to.

• Like Like x 1