1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Buffered Momentum Cancels - An Obscure Piece of BM Tech

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Selquin, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:43 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Here is a common situation in horntail,
    [​IMG]
    The left head is weapon cancelled but the mid head is open. Ideally, you would have to be able to somehow position yourself so that you can focus the mid head. This is because focusing the wings leaves less time for your cleavers to maximize cleave damage and is overall inefficient as the wing will die to cleave damage anyways. The only way to focus the mid head as an archer is to stand on the small top platform. However since horntail always knocks you towards the left, you will get knocked off and fall to the bottom if you try to jump on the platform and attack normally. This is why you will normally only see NLs attempt to jump on that top platform as they have much higher avoid.
    Now wouldn't it be nice if there were a way to somehow attack on that platform and not get knocked off? Well in fact there is a consistent way to do this, enter what I have coined HURRICANE BUFFERED MOMENTEM CANCELS.

So if you have tried to stay on that platform before, you might have noticed that if you press the right arrow key the moment you get hit, your leftward momentum from the attack gets somewhat canceled. This is what I call a "momentum cancel". If you stand at the very right edge of the top platform and perform a momentum cancel as you get hit, you can just barely land back on the platform and not get knocked down. However the problem is that to do a successful momentum cancel you need to know when exactly you are going to get hit (its not reactable), and this is practically not possible given all the body parts than can hit you at this stage.

The good news is that you don't have to enter the momentum cancel input the moment you get hit, in fact you can buffer it out of hurricane. If you first press down the hurricane button to initiate hurricane, and then while still pressing down on hurricane press down on -> as well, you will buffer a momentum cancel the instant you get hit.

[​IMG]
    In this image I am standing on the right edge of the top platform, holding the hurricane button, and holding the -> button to buffer a rightwards momentum cancel. Once I get hit I will land on the left edge of the top platform, then walk back to my initial position, turn around, and start the process again.

Two complications to note.
    -Walking back from the left side to the right edge of the platform is kind of precise, as you have to be pretty close to the right end of the platform in order for this to work.
    -The initial setup of jumping on the top platform and getting to the right edge is also kind of difficult. I recommend waiting until you get hit and using the iframes to do the initial setup.

Even with these complications in mind, with a little bit of practice you can easily stay on that platform for as long as NLs.

This type of buffering technique only appears to work for hurricane (and probable rapid fire). If you try to hold down something like TT or strafe and press -> at the same time, after 1 round of TT/strafe you character will simply walk -> instead of maintaining the attack. So alas marksmen are out of luck once again.

There a couple of other places where this buffering technique is kind of useful(for example if you buffered momentum cancel on every hit you would always get back into position a bit faster), but I figured I would just pick the most obvious situation to explain the technique.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to nobody implementing this!

EDIT: One important thing to note is that this only works with non-snowshoes. The problem with using snowshoes is that it is nearly impossible to walk in one direction, then change direction without moving in the opposite direction. You can try it for yourself, try to walk right and pivot left in snowshoes without walking left.

Attached Files:

• Great Work x 6
    • Creative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    2:43 PM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Cool stuff MapleF14

3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:43 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Interesting. It probably also works for corsair rapid fire.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Igni

Igni Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    11:43 PM
    MeleeSmash
    Buccaneer
    Yeah it would definitely work, just need to practice / master this technique.

5. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    8:43 AM
    I'm assuming this is similar to what the really good fitness players do during the lupin stage.

Skar once again breaking the meta.

6. mathijs2000

mathijs2000 Mushmom

Sep 4, 2016
    1:43 PM
    Night Lord
    GoedVerhaal
    Yeah probably works, but corsairs can also just mark the middle head instead

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    5:43 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Correct ;) , been doing this thing Skar is calling it. Never knew a term was made. It “slows down your knockback”

If you try doing it off a super high spot like Kerning or Ellinia or ludi tower, if you are falling and hold
    The up arrow it slows you down alittle. You can actually notice it. If you hold the down arrow, you’ll move alittle bit faster.

8. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    2:43 PM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    I also remember using it pretty often in the shuriken part of the Toad JQ to avoid getting knocked off a platform by the smoke XD

9. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    1:43 PM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Genuinely love it to still see tricks being developed many years after the initial release of this version. Good stuff.