1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux Client

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Pikashockz, Apr 23, 2015.

Would you use a Linux client

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Don't use Linux.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Pikashockz

Pikashockz Snail

Apr 14, 2015
    Male
    10:10 AM
    I'd like to recommend a Linux client for the convenience for some of the players having to play through Wine. Though it works, its not necessarily the most stable on Linux operation systems and can cause some problems for players such as myself. Linux is growing quite a bit in the gaming community, and it would attract new players if you made a Linux client to play on the server with.

2. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    11:10 AM
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    I'd actually love to see this, just got rid of Fedora in order to try out Elementary OS. Id only dual boot win7 so I can play this server lol.

3. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    8:10 AM
    NSFW
    Good idea but I don't know how doable it is. Are there even any linux clients made for ms.. ever? I've never seen one

4. Abamita

Abamita Mushmom

Mar 30, 2015
    12:10 PM
    Abamita
    Chief Bandit
    It would probably be more work than just creating a new video game. If you need to play Maple on a Linux system, you can create a virtual machine that will run it with as much stability as a real computer.

5. thetavi

thetavi Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    8:10 AM
    I've never tried running it on Linux, though many tools like WINE exist to try to provide compatibility of windows programs. I doubt it will work with Maple but you can give it a shot. For something that runs natively, well, probably not going to happen ever.

Keep your fingers crossed for SteamOS maybe? lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    6:10 PM
    im pretty u cant make a real local-host client for linux , because it uses diffrent code lang
    u can make a boot version of the client , so u can call it client , u click on it and it will launch chain of commands to enter the game using the wine or any other program , just a shortcut but it can be reduce the time need to set all up

7. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Don't think this would be possible.

8. Razz

Razz Red Snail

May 21, 2015
    Male
    5:10 PM
    Razz
    F/P Wizard
    Quest
    The problem with Linux is having to support all distributions and all desktop managers. Ubuntu has it's own bullshit with Unity and Fedora started adding Wayland. It's just a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble.

9. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    we need a linux version (without wine) please