1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Implement ability to relog in Boss / PQ upon disconnect or crash.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by akashsky, Oct 14, 2019.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    12:33 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Let's start off with something that is unfortunately true.

It is impossible to have a connection between a player and a server with 100% uptime.

Too many things can go wrong:
    the player's home internet can go off for a few minutes,
    some kind of in game server error that causes you specifically to crash,
    the server itself can have problems causing server wide disconnects.

No matter how clean and resilient your server is and even if you fix all of your current bugs so no crashes are the "servers fault", chances are that there will be new crash bugs introduced whenever you add in new content, since adding new things can break existing things.

These crash bugs really hurt content like bossing and party questing since once a player crashes, they cannot rejoin and the party must finish the content without that player (if they even can).

To fix this, some sort of Boss / PQ login should be implemented so that players can continue through this kind of content even when they get screwed by their wifi or some server issue.

Of course relog on disconnect / crash has potential for sharp abuse - but perhaps we could look into something to limit the abuse if needed, like for example imposing limit on number of times you can relog in a boss run.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:33 PM
    Moderator Post
    But it's already extremely abusable even if you can only do it once.

3. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    8:33 PM
    While it is a nice idea, I don't think it would be feasible to implement in a way that can't be abused. It would take an awful lot of work to try and differentiate between people who have legitimately disconnected during a run to rejoin and people who have just logged out to save on pots when buying a zhelm, for instance. There'd also have to be logic programmed in to prevent people from getting an extra boss run per day in. It will be very difficult to work out all the ways it can be abused before implementation.

4. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Even if you put in a 1 minute timer?

5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:33 PM
    Moderator Post
    Yes. That's 1 full minute where you can

1) Get another person to 'dc' and trade potions/stars
    2) Change equips/setup/pet equips without the 'you are tired' pop up
    3) It's a free minute of not having to survive

And probably more.

6. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    You can already do 1 by simply doing /trade in a boss fight. (I don't know how you envision the relog to work, but what I envision is you relogging in the specific boss fight or a safe map that has a portal straight to the boss fight).

I don't understand how 2 is broken. Why would you not already be wearing your BEST equips during a boss fight?

For 3, is it also OP to have someone sit not having to "survive" for 10 minutes while dead and be resurrected later? I would think that if 1 free minute of not having to survive is OP, then being able to sit dead for 10 minutes and then be ressurrected is also OP. I can't argue against this, its a valid point. But would there be a time limit that would not be overpowered? 30 seconds?

7. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    3:33 PM
    ^ For your 3rd point, this also poses the risk that if your bishop dies/dcs within those 10 minutes you're as good as dead.

I think that the times you DC to the times you don't is pretty minimal, I usually take it as a oh well better luck next time.