1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Soul Arrow Lie

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by theKatia, Oct 10, 2019.

1. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    11:39 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    TIL 10WA of my weapon was fake.
    10 weapon attack. It's like your steely secretly being a subi, or your ilbi secretly being a wolby.

I have been playing for 2.5 years and I did not know that using Soul Arrow nullifies arrow attack, i.e., the +4 from red/diamond arrows or in my case, the +10 from snowballs. Now, this would have been fine, and I had probably even originally expected this, except that when I tested this and applied soul arrow my damage range did not drop.
    I had thought this was a fair balance to thieves basically being able to buy good stars once for the rest of their lives.

This seems to go unnoticed not only by me but also by basically anyone who didn't play a ranger on original GMS or has heared about it by some very lucky chance. It's quite impactful on gameplay especially in higher levels, and explains a lot in retrospect. ALL I'M ASKING IS THAT THIS BE WRITTEN SOMEWHERE!

It may not be easy to change the damage shown but it should at least be in the skill description or in a mapletip or on the front page of the website for all I care.

I also second the suggestion I found from last winter when I was fact checking this:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/increase-the-stack-of-arrows.24325/#post-177428

I do not make threads often but this bothers me to no end, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    3:39 PM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    soul arrow is +1 att, even tho after 3rd job all skills looks like soul arrow is implemented, I still like it how they separate skills animations at 1st job between soul arrow and normal arrow. Seem like neckson ran out of budget that time to finish ranger and bowmaster skills. (Samething to xbow)

• Like Like x 3
  3. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    1:39 AM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    i could've sworn i mentioned that soul arrow doesn't stack with diamond/red arrows before (but maybe it was someone else?)

but yeah i agree, it should be mentioned somewhere! i had to find out via asking around to double check and double checking my own dpm. it was a thing in gms, not a thing here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. PotatoCider

PotatoCider Slime

Sep 9, 2019
    Female
    Canada
    Bowman
    Part of me wonders if this is intentional. I agree it should be listed somewhere, I'm getting confused just reading this thread. The damage bonus from using diamond arrows is not insignificant, nor are they cheap. Would be useful to know that it doesn't stack without having to poke around for it.

Also, throwback to the days on GMS when I would forget to buff soul arrow and use up the 1 diamond arrow in my inventory ;_;

• Like Like x 1
  5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I had mentioned this before, and I was "Disagreed" with by people...only to be told that I should already KNOW that Soul Arrow removes the Diamond Arrow bonus.

6. PotatoCider

PotatoCider Slime

Sep 9, 2019
    Female
    Canada
    Bowman
    Aww that's rude of them...nobody should be told that they should already KNOW anything. Nobody knows everything, that's what questions are for!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    11:39 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Has anyone looked into this?
    It seems way more people besides me didn't know about this...
    It really is a quick fix as far as I can see, please don't ignore this. It's a major problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    9:39 AM
    I've had a quick look into this and it looks like it just needs a wz edit to change the description.

The description is held in
    ...\MapleLegends\Data\String\Skill.img > 3101004 > desc

This could be sorted by just adding "\nAttack bonuses from equipped arrows will not apply while this is active."

Any chance of this change being made and applied next patch?

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    4:39 AM
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    To be fair, in the early years of gms (I think up until 2007 or 2008), soul arrow did not nullify attack bonuses from arrows in your inventory. It was a pretty well known feature among archers and many of us would always carry a few diamond arrows to get that nice attack bonus. That feature was patched out sometime after they released NLC so that soul arrow ignored the arrows in your inventory.
    But yeah, I agree that these minor nuances should be written somewhere. Even this version of the game has a lot of unwritten rules and bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Soul Arrow had always nullified attack bonus since the earliest days of beta.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    I could be remembering it wrong. Like SA still showed the attack benefit even though the benefit wasn't actually there and they patched it to accurately show attack stats at some later time.
    Are you basing your assessment on an earlier version of the game that you've tested recently? Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    It's based on my memory, but ever since I started playing (which was like October of 2004), Soul Arrow had always retained the damage bonus from special arrows on the stat screen, but never actually allowed that bonus in practice. Before a certain point the damage numbers you see when you actually hit things would accurately reflect damage without arrow attack bonus, but after that certain point (I don't remember exactly when), the damage number from hitting things would start to lie too. I've tested it on this server a couple weeks back and found that damage from hitting things doesn't lie on ML.