1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Next event and new players

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by thewayman, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    6:52 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I'll keep this short because it's 5 AM here and I'm really tired.

I don't see a permanent event happening at all. They affect economy, even though it may seem like a minimal change. Imagine tens of ice boxes per hour, multiplied by hundreds of users, everyday. Some get a lot more ice boxes thanks to their high level and/or mules. Seasonally, it ends up being ok. Permanently, it will bring a meso influx. Same sentiments with other events like fishing/raffle/etc.

Plus, having a permanent event would mean seasonal events won't be as valuable anymore, and we don't really want that. Events are events for a reason.

I also don't see Ariant getting buffed much, if at all, especially because it's already a preferred town to go to for leveling. Spawn may seem weak, but the town is really strong leveling spot combined with its quests.

Your suggestions are valuable to us. However community has seen multiple suggestions by rather new players, most of them talking about increasing meso/exp rate one way or the other. Unfortunately they don't get received well especially because we are low rate server. It seems to me that your post got caught in the wave.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to having different opinions. Some will agree, while others not. I hope reactions on this post doesn't discourage you from making more suggestions in the future.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    5:52 AM
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    I don't think you get that this charity thing is the exact opposite of the gameplay you suggest, if you want us to work towards financial security then let us, it just makes it more ENJOYABLE key word, if it is subjective then why don't you let us have it? You aren't the one playing the game with a new character and no funding, if something is subjective to us then maybe we should be the ones making the suggestions and what we experience. Like I said we are the new players, not you. You talk about the community and how they play, that is fine, everyone can play and boss kill big foots all day, however you choose to play, we as new players are also a community a very small one that is very limited to our gameplay, what we experience when we first start playing those levels 1-50. Their are a huge amount of solutions to this problem yes, this one seems to be the best in my OPINION because it doesn't break any core gameplay mechanics.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I'm assuming you're replying to ahotbanana but I'll put in my piece too.

Don't forget that we - older players - were all poor noobs before. I personally liked being poor, walking around Victoria Island instead of taking taxis. Taking break on chair because I ran out of pots. Nostalgia does stupid things. Honestly I would do it again if I had time to. See, if we had ice boxes dropping back then, I wouldn't have got the same experience and I might have quit.

Also, remember that even though liking a change or not is subjective, it still affects server balance. Even if we all like a change, it doesn't mean that it should get implemented.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    10:52 AM
    Yes, which is what makes it a choice. If the gameplay stays as it is but you have an alternative, that gives you personal agency. Making ice boxes (or equivalents) permanent is like forcing people to take the charity and devalues the achievement of becoming financially secure on your own. As I said before: I would hate to deprive new players of this experience.

Because the vast majority of people don't request stupid things like this and come to this server because it doesn't have them. If, when I first joined the server, it had handouts like that, I would have been looking for an alternative server pretty quickly. I think you misunderstand the demographic this server is trying to cater for if you think this would be an improvement.

I still was a new player and went through this, though. Power creep is another thing people come to this server to avoid. Making the early game easier would be an example of power creep. Ultimately, it's still an MMO so changes that are aimed to affect other players will still affect me indirectly.

Derp.

5. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    Honestly just HONESTLY, consider the boat times cut in half like yall need to meet us half way as new players, I don't seem to understand what the deal is. We don't want to break the game simply change it, we want it to be 10x exp and drop rate clearly lol.. Jk but seriously all I am saying is think about it help the game, after getting on to play today and stream I feel way more unmotivated to play at all.. like it feels 10x worse than when the event was going on in which it was amazing fun to play.

6. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    6:52 PM
    Xeph
    Bishop
    Alright, I think all that you are trying to say is that new players struggle a lot starting out, and these potion heavily ease their pot cost. You absolutely DO NOT need these pots. It’s a great luxury, but really not necessary. You will find out soon why the community is SO AGAINST having permanent event as you go up the levels.

Here some are suggestions if you are really poor (or anyone else, especially those who demands meso from me in FM):
    Just do this quest. 1 Shoe for Jump 30 is sufficient to last you till at least 30+, if you manage your finance wisely. I don’t keep track of fm prices, but they are worth a few millions.
    https://bbb.hidden-street.net/quest/world-tour/maplestory-basic-knowledge

Or:
    1. Just go pig farm/bubbling and farm mithril ores. Each are worth a lot, considering new players to the server.
    2. The charity is a free 400k for those who are super lazy.
    3. You get Gachapon. Any scroll (above 1m) is a good financial security for a good 10+ low levels.
    4. At lv 40+, just farm GFA 60 at platoon chrono. These scrolls drop like crazy, and each worth around 1m. The Eq and meso drop are pretty stable, so GFA 60 is a bonus.
    5. <30, level via quest. There are multiple quest guides out there, it’s just whether you are bothered to find one.
    6. Read those maple journey. There a heck ton of people who have did it, and they have shown you day by day how they play the game, heck some even with 80 base int. They did it simply because they knew ML knowledge that could give them a boost. ITS OUT THERE, WHETHER YOU BOTHER TO FIND. It’s literally under the newest post, DAILY.
    7. Go GS. Any of the 3 works.
    8. Last advice to all players: If you are materialistic and don’t want to struggle, read guides before leaving maple island. It helps a heck ton. But if you want to explore the game, that’s fine too.
    Next, don’t demand from the old players in FM. When a new player trades me, I always tell him some potential easy money making ways instead of giving. Teach him how to fish, not feed. However, if you trade and demand for 200k (like one random dude), I’ll tell you to fuck off.

Lastly, if getting sufficient meso for your pots is already killing you, I don’t know how are you gonna afford 100+m for your endgame weapon, cape, shoe, CS and White Scrolls . If you are a casual player and these doesn’t matter to you, then I doubt this whole thread is even relevant to you in the first place.

Not targeting at anyone, just sick of new players saying the server is too hard. It’s hard at first, BUT TRUST ME, IT DOABLE AND GETS WAY EASIER. The community wants to help, but surely not feeding meso in FM, or via free event pots. Hopefully, you can stop insisting that giving free pots is a good way to help new players out. 8 methods above, choose 1. WE WERE ONCE POOR, WE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    On top of what everybody has said you can also sell fame in fm. It’s pretty easy to sell for 100k daily which is how I started out and is plenty for potions and starter funds. If you’ve got a few characters 15+ you could pretty easily get 500k a day or so.

Can also find mobs like night ghosts which drop claw attack 30s and are worth like 8m now I think. They also drop helm int 30, overall int 70, red katanas, and luk ores according to the library. All of those items are worth a decent amount and can be very good for beginning funds. I spent a ton of time here even though they aren’t the best exp because they were good for getting funds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    12:52 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Going to answer things line by line, but if in the end you still don't understand and share our sentiments, that's fine. It's your choice whether to play the server. We know not everyone connects, but this is a static server and it won't change.

I'm not upset, as I said, I was trying to warn you of getting into exactly this kind of thread-argument. I also did, in fact, read your post, which is why I wasn't assuming your thread was similar. It IS. I made no assumption about you as person either, you did say that you joined legends during the event. That's a very short time.

Good point. But that is why we encourage being resourceful and sociable in the community. Old players are happy to answer questions and give you suggestions. But yes, it does require of you to make a special effort to figure things out. It's intentional, a nostalgic and challenging feature of the game. If this bothers you, then maybe ML is not your style :)

A lot of people make secondary characters, challenge characters, and blank slate characters to keep things fresh. So this is not entirely true and the main gap is that of game and server knowledge.

I take personal offence to this. I play a few hours a month and enjoy 95% of it.

Precel explained this pretty well. If it was year-round, what's the point of an event?

We are listening. Look how many responses you are getting, even though this is a frustratingly repeating topic :)
    While it's true that a steady income of new players is great, and we are a bit short, new players are not something we're out to "buy" with accommodation changes. Rather, we bring friends, and hope the right people find US.

You have it, there are community charities, quests, etc. But because it's subjective, it's not built in forcibly and rather is optional.

This isn't a 'you' vs 'us' scenario.
    You are also not representing all the new players. Some new players come here BECAUSE of the things you are complaining about.

Yes.

As I mentioned this is a static server. The game isn't going to change. The whole point is for the players to adapt. That is the kind of thing Legends is based around and prides itself in.

If you are used to games such as current GMS and X and X, then you may be very used to the more "immediate rush of pleasure" type of game, which explains why you are suddenly feeling underwhelmed. Try replacing the handouts/quick levelling excitements with something else? (PQ's, party play, questing...)

9. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    I was going to reply earlier and left it, but I'll just say as the core of the server is to be low rate, if a new player finds it too difficult I doubt they will manage later on into the game where the meso requirement really picks up. I would also question if catering to such players will help in retaining them when they run into future adversary.

This reminds me of another suggestion thread where the poster wanted monster cards to drop more easily, with the goal of finishing the book. For what reason would you want a goal to be easy to obtain, what enjoyment is there to get out of accomplishing something easy?

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    Yikes on the player base dropping a huge part after events ended *thinking*.... Can only say we "new" "unknowlageable" players will just sit and watch... GL everyone and this threat is now closed and done for me. I made my points and it shows. I hope everyone learns and moves forward being stubborn is sometimes a good thing trust me but maybe not here.

11. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    10:52 AM
    Pretty sure the player count dropped because we no longer have half the server afk in FM fishing but ok.

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:52 AM
    Moderator Post
    I was almost worried we were not getting a 'server is dying' post or thread this year

EDIT: Closed by request of OP

13. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    We almost made it too.

1) I mean, of course event increases player count

2) I don't think anyone was arguing about player count. More so that your suggestion affects server balance and is against the server's goal

Player count is important metric but our first and foremost goal is to be low rate old-school Maplestory server. A caveat with that goal is that we're catering group of players that prefer difficulty, but more players prefer higher rate. If we wanted higher player count, we would've simply had higher rates.

Point is, player count isn't everything and we have other important goals in mind.

3) we also tend to see a drop in player count during busy season for university students.

4) No need to call people stubborn. Such tone is appropriate for your children, not other players.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.