1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Class recommendation: Magician

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Foods, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Foods

Foods Blue Snail

Nov 15, 2019
    11:27 AM
    Foods
    Crossbowman
    Hello!

I recently joined MapleLegends, and have been slowly reacquainting with MapleStory for the last two weeks. I've made some steady progress on my Crossbowman, reaching the 50s, and my nest egg has been slowly growing. I've, however, reached a point where I feel the need to test out a different class before committing to this one. Hence, why I require your advice!

Which Magician class would you recommend for a...
    • (mostly) solo player,
    • who likes questing,
    • and who's willing to get to level 100 or so (but probably not much further)

The Fire/Poison route is the one that looks the most unique and interesting to me, with a very different playstyle (hunt for fewer, but stronger, monsters), but seems to fall short due to its lack of early game mobbing.

The Bishop route is also pretty interesting, with its anti-holy skillset. I'm however concerned about the damage output. How would this class fare, compared to the others? And would they lose all mobbing abilities against "not-weak-to-holy" creatures?

Lastly, the Ice/Lightning route is the least appealing to me, thematically. The seemingly insane early-game mobbing ability does, however, make it seem like the most viable route for solo play (and more diverse training options than grinding for hours).

Any points I'm missing?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers MapleF2

2. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    11:27 PM
    Xeph
    Bishop
    Seems like I/L would be the best for you, due to questing as they have lightning bolt and ice strike <100.

• Like Like x 1
  3. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    I/l is the best one for you. Also you can freeze mobs

4. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    12:27 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    I would say I/L since i was a I/L main back in the official servers since '07 SlimeXD

5. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    3:27 PM
    Have to disagree with everyone recommending I/L here. They're better until 50-60ish depending on how funded you are but FP is MUCH stronger beyond that. "Up to 100 or so" is basically the level range where fire/poison is super over powered.

In my personal opinion, Ice Lightning is the most boring mage class. Fire Poison, on the other hand is the most fun I've had playing this game. Fighting against strong enemies that pack a real punch and pose actual danger to you makes for a really engaging gameplay experience and you get rewarded for taking these risks with the insane exp you'll be getting. I've never understood why I/L is so popular when F/P exists, tbh :S

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    Xeph
    Bishop
    Partly agree, partly don't. Before you max poison mist, you are surviving on magic claw/poison breath/fire arrow for single mob attack, which makes questing/levelling extremely slow. Afterwards, poison mist makes it easy for him. In fact, I would say F/P boost his questing further since he can do mobs that are way higher level for him with poison mist (though im not sure if quests at their respective level requires mob around their level range <not a quester>)

The reason why I suggested I/L is because I/L gives you a 6 mob attack at level 40 (once u max lightning bolt), all the way till 70+ which ice strike comes into the picture afterwards till 100.

Since OP isnt looking for >100, ice imo seems more viable because of the level range in which it gives you a multi-mob attack.

Cleric are the most useless in this case simply because OP has to survive on magic claw/holy arrow which both are single mob attack till 80+ (till SR comes in), since heal doesn't help him for most non-holy mobs required for questing.

Having said so much, playing a class you enjoy is still the most important <3.

7. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    It really depends how important questing is to OP. FP will be slower than IL for questing, but I would say it's better in basically any other regard. If questing ability is the be all and end all, then I will agree that IL would be the better choice.

Poison breath is much faster for leveling than lightning. While you will be using lightning a lot earlier, as soon as you can start using poison breath, you'll be steaming ahead like crazy. Depending on funding, this can easily be as low as level 55, giving I/L the edge only for the first 20 levels or thereabouts. Questing is slow for an FP, but leveling is much faster and the gameplay is just more fun to begin with (imo).

I agree that cleric doesn't really make any sense. Cleric, in my mind, is basically a weaker mage that has support skills useful for late game bossing and early game partying. If OP isn't going beyond 100, they aren't going to be doing any late game bossing and if they are mostly going to be playing solo, they aren't getting any compensation for basically just being a nerfed version of the other two mage types.

8. OP
    OP
    Foods

Foods Blue Snail

Nov 15, 2019
    Foods
    Crossbowman
    Helpful points. Thank you for your replies!

Still hesitant between F/P and I/L.
    It's a trade-off between faster levelling and general-purpose mob clearing.

Putting Bishop aside for now, as is clearly doesn't align with my playstyle.
    But if I can ask an additional question out of curiosity: how does the Heal damage compare to I/L's lighting (let's say in the 50s, at Zombie Lupins)?

ahotbananaahotbanana, your F/P guide was already in my bookmarks, and is one of the main reasons I'm even considering that route! :)

9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    8:27 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The reason that i/l is the superior mage is that blizzard cost 5k mp to cast, whereas meteor cost 7k mp (at level 30). 2k mp may not seem like much, but it adds to an enourmous amount of potion savings throughout the life the character.

You will simply end up making more mesos as an i/l mage compared to a f/p. Sure, f/p is SLIGHTLY stronger, but it doesn't change the fact that an i/l can 1hit anything a f/p can.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    Xeph
    Bishop
    As a person who have played both ice and cleric to >120, lightning > heal once max. There was even once when someone suspected I didn’t max heal when in fact I did, because of how low heal damage is (compared to lightning).

11. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    If this is the case, I think it's bug. Will need to discuss with other staff, but they both have 3500 base MP cost at level 30 and both amps use 200% MP (according to the ML library). I guess I'll test this lol

RE heal's damage: the damage of heal goes down if you're hitting more targets with it. It also only hits a maximum of 5 enemies (I guess it's 6, including yourself as a target?).

Glad to know people are using my guide :)

12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Yeah Heal hits 6 targets including both enemies and allies (being healed, including yourself). If you have a party member near you, Heal is only going to hit 4 monsters.

13. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    8:27 AM
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    If you are truly set on <100 and mostly questing, then I/L would be the most well rounded. It gets semi difficult >100 as an I/L which results in a good number of I/L that I know *cough* leeching.

On the other hand, if you do have some potential interest in getting >100 and want to see some swole gains, FP is the way to go. If you find a friend, you can mist train to get a level once every ~15 minutes at lv 78 with max mist and even ~40 minutes at lv 120. As a FP, there's no point in ever leeching (maybe besides WR and WS till 78)

levels.png
    Mist training at FoT

• Like Like x 1