1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low [macOS HD] Client does not shutdown, nor logout correctly requiring multiple Refresh Wrappers

Discussion in 'Report Bugs' started by Hito, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    4:51 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Description of the bug:

After you login and press "quit game" the client does not go back to the login screen, it completely closes. However, this shutdown is not graceful as a few things can happen the next time you start MapleLegends:

(1) It doesn't start at all, requiring you manually kill all Wine processes and Refresh Wrapper from Wineskin.
    (2) It does start, you can login and then you crash after selecting a character. Requiring you manually kill all Wine processes and Refresh Wrapper from Wineskin.

This is marked high as it directly affects playing the game given the frequency of crashes the HD client experiences and the need to log-in again requiring a huge workaround every single time.

What is supposed to happen?:

Graceful shutdown.

Where did you find and/or notice this bug?:

Day 1 of the HD client release.

A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional):

As above.

2. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    4:51 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I believe a workaround is to force quit application (command + control + option) instead of clicking quit game button. I cannot confirm since I'm a windows user.

"High" tag should be reserved for critical issues that affect server's entire population or environment (economy, mass DC, etc.). Examples would be duping, issues that would call for a rollback, unreasonably high drop/exp/meso rate, etc. I disagree that this is the highest priority and I recommend "Medium" or "Low" tag instead.

3. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    1:51 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Have you tried logging in in Windowed Non-HD client? This allows you to login gracefully. I'm just not playing HD on my Mac right now

4. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    I fix this by opening up Activity Monitor and searching for processes called "Maple" or "Wine" and force quitting them from there. This will do the trick if the previous mentioned version don't

PrecelPrecel I think this could be medium-high, as those on macs if this fails to shutdown, I've noticed that maple will run in the background at 99% -> 100% cpu and could make the Mac overheat in the process. However it could also be argued that this isn't a [HIGH] to maplelegends, but [HIGH] to those on Mac... sooo nevermind kbye

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I appreciate the suggestions on how to circumvent this issue ala Activity Monitor but I am already aware of these strategies as I mention in my original post. The non-HD client works well if it is used in without XQuartz (i.e. with the macOS driver, not X11).

Almost all of the client issues I've experienced stem from the X11 packages available on macOS which as I mention in another of my posts are at least 4 years old (not that MapleLegends can do anything about that save developing XQuartz). What can be done is getting MapleLegends to work with the native macOS driver as others have achieved in the past.

Failing this I do not think that having to issue commandline workarounds or hacks to kill 3-4 rogue processes which do not close properly is part of normal behaviour. When you close an application you expect it to close gracefully. When you "quit game" you expect to return to login screen as everyone else gets to experience.

I find myself to and fro on liking the HD client because it's HD but being annoyed by the hacks and circumventions required to have a semi-smooth experience. macOS should be given the same respect and priority as Windows if the server is to tout itself as Mac Compatible and as such a non-properly-functioning HD client (with regards to the issues of this thread) is of a high severity/priority to fix.

I am not discounting the work that has and continually goes into the MapleLegends macOS client but I would like to see the closing and opening of the application not require terminal commands to fix, not require multiple wrapper refreshes, and not require having to hope that it wont crash on character select or window move.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mott

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    I don't understand what you are trying to get at. You understand that ML can't do anything about this... but at the same time you want ML to do something about it? There are different options that other people have decided to do. Let me list a few

- Bootcamp
    - VirtualBox
    - another VM
    - follow MirrorsMirrors 's guide on building the wrapper yourself
    - get a pc lol

The ML team even developed a mac friendly .exe that (please correct me if i'm wrong) will be released as the default .exe. The game they develop is not a game developed for Macs, however they do make the effort

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:51 AM
    Moderator Post
    Don't worry about it we have told Hito this at least 20 times already, and he still don't understand. If we had the source code of this game, then we could 'develop this as well as the windows version' everything to get this working is hackish, because it is. This is a WINDOWS ONLY game, which is why the official servers are WINDOWS only. This is also why the top server, MapleRoyals does not support MAC at all, including 9/10 of all the other servers.

Be happy with what you have.

This. MAC isn't made for gaming.

I am fine with bug reports, but I am getting sick of your attitude like 'you guys don't spend as much on the MAC client as you do on the Windows client' You don't wanna know how long we are trying to get the pile of trash to work the past weeks, only to have it work for 1 person but not other, even though logically it should be more consistent (compared to PC's) because Apple is the only one developing MacOS computers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I've been trying to mention it as clearly as I can because people seem to be conflating XQuartz with the native macOS driver. XQuartz is a port for the X windowing system, which is a Linux based windowing system, for macOS. This is called X11. The client is only buggy with XQuartz (X11) likely because the last release of XQuartz is coming up to 4 years old; I myself state that it is unreasonable to ask the MapleLegends staff to develop that project (as an example for what NOT to do as justification for another area of focus – yet I am misquoted here). I am saying that focus should be made on getting it working with macOS's native driver (not X11).

I mean it's fine to be annoyed at my constructive posts here trying to spark discussion on it but your constant mention of "Mac is shit" doesn't bode well for fostering a positive attitude and it seems like you want to read my posts in some kind of destructive manner when I've given you no reason to do so, plenty of other people in-game feel the same way but don't really care enough to post or what have you; I've even offered my time to help and been met with no response. The reason games are developed on Windows and not macOS or Linux is because DirectX is the easier API to work with. That's got literally nothing to do with Apple or the Linux Foundation and everything to do with the fact that Microsoft develops DirectX and Windows. Companies like Valve are working with Wine to get gaming onto Linux as I'm sure we're all aware, so this is really completely pointless to state as a case for dismissal here.

I've offered to help develop the Winewrapper multiple times to both Nise months ago, recently, and officially via the forum to no response all three times.

I don't get why in the Discord I constantly see "MAC is shit", "get a PC lol", "macs are shit" and the equivalent of "fuck you for using a mac" then when I ask for a community driven effort, or at least inclusion to help improve the client I also get a "no fuck you you cannot help" in addition to my posts being repeatedly misunderstood.

I think there has been an ongoing serious miscommunication here and it seems to be rubbing everyone the wrong way. The goal is to help. The goal is to discuss. If I wanted to flame I'd just flame, but being a dick online got boring about 10 years ago so please stop reading my posts in that manner.

Anyway, I've tried to help I guess there's no point trying anymore if this is the reaction I am met with.

9. Mott

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    Offering to develop the winewrapper and doing it are two different things. When the halloween patch was released, There were two guys who got it working Sun-something and Steven on discord as a hack. It worked well enough to get some users online. This was after the halloween event was already out for like 2+ days. Even myself, who is on a mac took a whack at it and couldn't do it. I'm sure the ML team would be happy for the help. But why do you need to offer it and then wait for their response? As a wise sage once said,
    [​IMG]

Mac's are amazing, I use one myself. They're absolutely fantastic when doing work and being productive. But as a mac user myself I get the humor of "get a PC lol". I T I S A J O K E

10. OP
    OP
    Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Yes I know they did because they used the instructions I posted in the Discord and didn't credit me, I even PMd him asking where he got the instructions from and he literally said my Discord message. I in turn got a base for those instructions from the Linux Box thread.

So I have helped but there's only so much you can do from the outside looking in.

[​IMG]

I can take a joke that's fine, but there's a line where a joke ends and it begins to be perceived as the actual opinion, and it feels like the actual opinion towards macOS is one of disregard. Feels like it. Not is. I know it isn't, I acknowledge the effort the MapleLegends team has put in to the macOS client in my post above which was ignored in all replies to it funnily enough, but the comparative lack of stability being down to "mac sucks" is patently wrong and I do not like that it's assume things don't work "cos mac" because that's not how software or operating systems work at all. I am a software developer, it's literally my job to be as knowledgeable as I can about these matters – and I am not perfect but I speak confidently on things I do know about and it's perceived here as flaming for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    4:51 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Hence why I called it a workaround and not a solution.

-

I think most of the misunderstanding is coming from this quote:
    You're assuming that MacOS isn't given priority, to which Kimmy reacted harshly (that I do not agree with). Though you have to understand the harsh response when they've been working on Mac since the release of Halloween patch. The quote is very discrediting.

Your help is very generous and we as a community are thankful. Staff application can take a long time; mine hasn't got any response for months. It doesn't mean you're ignored. However, I'm not sure how your conversation with Nise went.

I think this is very broad scope to request and sounds near impossible with how Maplestory private server development is set up - client modification is very complicated from my understanding. Hence we have to stick to workarounds (force quit or use non-HD) for now.

Also, from a past thread you made, you know that ML does not have dedicated Mac developer and therefore this could be an unreasonable request. Though, I say this reluctantly as I don't have much insight in Mac dev.

Edit: also, I believe there are bugs associated with native MacOS driver, so the option you presented may not be viable.